Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? (7585 Views)

Recent Layoff Workers By All Nigeria Companies / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / Planned Massive Compulsory Retrenchment Of Workers By Intels Nigeria Limited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by PrettyBolu(f): 5:12pm On Feb 13, 2023
I want us to talk about employers and how they handle the tips given to their staffs. I was reading through a thread on front page that talked about dropping your phones before resuming work. In that thread I saw a comment that attracted my attention. The person said he/she works for GT plaza. He said it is a fast food. He said the company collects the tips given to staffs. I want us to talk about this.

arabaribiti:
I work with GT plaza its a fast food in Benin and has branches in abuja and lokoja you have to submit your phone and your money and even if customer dash you money you must add it to company money

Have you worked in a company where you are not allowed to accept tips?

Have you worked in a company where the company seize tips given to staffs and add it to their profit? (I think this is stealing and wickedness)

Let's talk about tips

nlfpmod

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by PrettyBolu(f): 5:16pm On Feb 13, 2023
I feel, in this present Nigeria where the cost of things have gone up badly, some companies will be paying N15,000 per month as salary. Most staffs receiving such low salaries survive by tips or begging. That's the truth. If a company seizes the tips given to staffs, I think it is wickedness.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by khalids: 5:21pm On Feb 13, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I want us to talk about employers and how they handle the tips given to their staffs. I was reading through a thread on front page that talked about dropping your phones before resuming work. In that thread I saw a comment that attracted my attention. The person said he/she works for GT plaza. He said it is a fast food. He said the company collects the tips given to staffs. I want us to talk about this.

Have you worked in a company where you are not allowed to accept tips?

Have you worked in a company where the company seize tips given to staffs and add it to their profit? (I think this is stealing and wickedness)

Let's talk about tips

Thats criminal... what on earth

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Bahamas95(m): 5:27pm On Feb 13, 2023
OP it's worse than wickedness, that's witchcraft in broad daylight.

I don't tolerate nonsense, I go burst person head.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by SmileDance(f): 8:29pm On Feb 13, 2023
It is witchcraft for any company to seize the tips

13 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Toneypen247(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2023
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Misterc(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2023
My Question is....
Who exactly is delegated this "Lucrative" business of collecting the tips from the staff?
The security guys I presume....

They are the biggest winners in this and only remit a small percentage to the company...

It's indeed all shades of wrong
IT'S INDEED A SLAVE ESTABLISHMENT in my opinion....

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Parachoko: 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2023
No

The tip belong to the worker

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by FalseProphet1(m): 5:40pm On Feb 14, 2023
Very wrong.

This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Bontafa: 5:40pm On Feb 14, 2023
Parachoko:
No

The tip belong to the worker

Of course but no tip for urchins
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by xristos(m): 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2023
Depends on policy

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by sukkot: 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2023
if company is broke and sadist
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by onajo2000(m): 5:42pm On Feb 14, 2023
Then I will not accept tips again because of the company

11 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by phemmyfour: 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I feel, in this present Nigeria where the cost of things have gone up badly, some companies will be paying N15,000 per month as salary. Most staffs receiving such low salaries survive by tips or begging. That's the truth. If a company seizes the tips given to staffs, I think it is wickedness.
The day you are given tip, you will be beg for it. That's not a good image for the company. I guess that's what they are trying to discourage

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by premierlead: 5:48pm On Feb 14, 2023
Back in those days when man was still very young, I worked as a jollyman with a man whom we practised the same profession then. He got a job from a big Rtd. Airforce officer and after the finish of job on a Saturday, the retired force man came to check our work and gave me a huge money then. Immediately the man left, the man who collected the job was like that money is for your day job and I was dumbfounded.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Glowqueen3(f): 5:48pm On Feb 14, 2023
Some one man business usually collect tips given by customer from their staff,but some big organization allow staffs to keep tips given to them,while others have some policy in place against accepting tips from customer. So my dear it depends.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by olaeffect(m): 5:49pm On Feb 14, 2023
xristos:
Depends on policy

My point exactly.
Some companies have the policy of collecting all tips, but those tips are usually share back to all the staff.
So that staff of GT foods needs to come back and explain the policy around tips in their organisation.

Companies that collect tips and share it mostly do so because sometimes the customer that gives a cashier tips for good service would not have done same if the cook in the kitchen did not cook good food or if the cleaner did not do a good job keeping the place clean, thus some organisation (mostly restaurants) do this.

27 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by YoungLionken(m): 5:52pm On Feb 14, 2023
Before now, I would have said it was wrong to seize tips from staff. But right now, it's one of the right things to do, as a company because;

1) Some of these staff beg too much (they literally beg all customers who come their way for service). Such would definitely discourage them from doing so..

2) Theft; It is a way of monitoring these staff that are criminally minded (you catch them, they tell you it's tips from customers...

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by sofeo(m): 5:53pm On Feb 14, 2023
Alright
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by KosiGee(m): 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2023
Depends where you work. Some companies have policies regarding accepting tips, gifts from clients, customers.

If you work in healthcare: hospitals, clinics etc It’s frown upon in some places. Doctors, nurses and all health care workers are not supposed to receive gifts from patients or their relatives. Money gifts are not normally accepted. Cards, flowers, chocolates, biscuits or non alcoholic drinks are given not to individuals but to the staff desk/reception.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by sonofthunder: 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2023
Some companies do so because of workers that steal and their records are never balanced. Others do so because the management/supervisors are plain wicked.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by lolu2019: 5:54pm On Feb 14, 2023
olaeffect:

My point exactly.
Some companies have the policy of collecting all tips, but those tips are usually share back to all the staff.
So that staff of GT foods needs to come back and explain the policy around tips in their organisation.

Companies that collect tips and share it mostly do so because sometimes the customer that gives a cashier tips for good service would not have done same if the cook in the kitchen did not cook good food or if the cleaner did not do a good job keeping the place clean, thus some organisation (mostly restaurants) do this.
a reasonable answer

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Pet1122: 6:01pm On Feb 14, 2023
Customers tip you or you beg?
🥱🥱
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by slimanyd: 6:01pm On Feb 14, 2023
Why would a company collect the tip I was freely given by a customer ? In that regards I don't see that company lasting long then. For this Nigeria wey we dey. Nah workers dey ruin company and nah same workers dey make a company success and that lies in the hands of the company owner.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2023
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by aktolly54(m): 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2023
Maybe they assume you steal from company money and call it tips. If there is evidence that is a tips true true then you are suppose to keep it
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by tojahh(m): 6:09pm On Feb 14, 2023
wink
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by tojahh(m): 6:11pm On Feb 14, 2023
How company look at Employee when they get tips from customers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 14, 2023
See bress abeg !!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by esiri4jesu(m): 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2023
Sieving it is wrong but collecting it and putting in box and at the end of the day it is shared among staff. Reason being that some might not have dir3ct contact with the customer but they are contributing to the success of the biz. Example, the cook has no contact with the customer but the waiter does. It will be unfair for the waiter to collect all tips and the cook go home empty.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by esiri4jesu(m): 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2023
Siezing it is wrong but collecting it and putting in box and at the end of the day it is shared among staff. Reason being that some might not have dir3ct contact with the customer but they are contributing to the success of the biz. Example, the cook has no contact with the customer but the waiter does. It will be unfair for the waiter to collect all tips and the cook go home empty.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by seanwilliam(m): 6:25pm On Feb 14, 2023
Depends on how much grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FCSC Recruitment Department Application Message!! / Information Technology Training / I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.