Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,639 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (34100 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / What's The Meaning Of ''Emi Nado'' & From Which Language? / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by warrior101: 11:45am On Mar 20, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

lol.

blessing = ibukun
honor = ayesi

peace = ire.

egbun mi e' gba jare.
Peace = Alafia. Even though it's borrowed. "Ire". I serious don't know which English word to use for Ire so I pass it for Peace too. Yoruba lingo is a 2 jinle jor...
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by killuminati(m): 11:46am On Mar 20, 2013
I no be yoruba boy but I know say...'Ifokan'bale' means 'peace of mind'. So if 'peace of mind' is 'ifokan'bale', the 'ifokan' should be 'peace'.

As a hausa boy, 'kwanchiyar hankali' means 'peace of mind' but what exactly is the word for 'peace'?
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by 10Billion(m): 11:46am On Mar 20, 2013
BEM= Tiv people of Benue state.
eg, BEMDOO- peace is good.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by warrior101: 11:50am On Mar 20, 2013
tpia@:
Actually, peace in yoruba is toro, or tooro

Different from toro which means to borrow or beg.

And toro which means penny

Not sure why it didnt come to mind before, maybe the word is no longer used as much.

"Toro" as used in aye toro? I doubt if that can pass as Peace. More like Blizz to me.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by adexsimply(m): 11:52am On Mar 20, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

Is he a politician? Just asking though shocked
he is not a politician..just answering though
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Roric: 11:53am On Mar 20, 2013
bokohalal: Edo.
Ofure-more like cool
Ofumwengbe -more like comfort
Orokho-more like painless
Hiere-more like quiet
Khuerhe khuerhe-could be peace

@ bokohala.......
[color=#000099]
Good one there![/color]
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by warrior101: 11:54am On Mar 20, 2013
killuminati: I no be yoruba boy but I know say...'Ifokan'bale' means 'peace of mind'. So if 'peace of mind' is 'ifokan'bale', the 'ifokan' should be 'peace'.

As a hausa boy, 'kwanchiyar hankali' means 'peace of mind' but what exactly is the word for 'peace'?

If'okan-bale is not THE word for peace in yoruba. Its alafia
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by gulfer: 11:57am On Mar 20, 2013
I suppose the Yoruba name for peace, is 'Ifokanbale'
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by ibide(m): 12:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ufuoma in urhobo
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by adexsimply(m): 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2013
adubam: Ufuoma - Urhobo in Delta State
lol..reminds me of IPOMOEA batatas(sweet potatoes)...#just-remembering-my-secondary-school-days
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by ngolieze22: 12:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
In Igbo = Udo
In Hausa = Bomb/Jihad
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 20, 2013
OGIRIGBAMILA lipsrsealed...
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by adexsimply(m): 12:18pm On Mar 20, 2013
sheyie2007: OGIRIGBAMILA lipsrsealed...
OGIRI GBA E SIGBO DANU DANU grin grin grin
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by bibina: 12:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Udo in Igbo.

while in Efik Udo is second son, infact they call me udo! Peace is Emem!!
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by ifyfaith: 12:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

lol. it is yoruba but it means wellbeing.

peace - ire
peace could be alafia or ire depending on where used,eg peace be unto dis house,
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by ifyfaith: 12:22pm On Mar 20, 2013
ngolieze22: In Igbo = Udo
In Hausa = Bomb/Jihad
lol grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by ifyfaith: 12:24pm On Mar 20, 2013
killuminati: I no be yoruba boy but I know say...'Ifokan'bale' means 'peace of mind'. So if 'peace of mind' is 'ifokan'bale', the 'ifokan' should be 'peace'.

ifokanbale is even rest of mind not peace of mind
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by iyeachile(f): 1:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
Peace=UREDO
Igalas in Kogi State(Central Nigeria)

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by rezzy: 1:11pm On Mar 20, 2013
30card:
UDHEDHE
hummm, ok, its actually rest of mind
ibide:
Ufuoma in urhobo
yeap yeap both in Isoko
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by wwwdotnscdc(m): 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
tpia@:
Ire means blessing or honour.

I'm not sure there's any word meaning peace, in yoruba.

iro ni o.

Ire = Goodness
Ibukun = Blessing
Iyi = Honour

Peace = Alafia
Wellbeing is also refered to as alafia ara (peace of the body).
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 20, 2013
Igbo: Udo
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Sunjos: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2013
'bubyafu' i.e in GBAGYI
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tlops(m): 3:04pm On Mar 20, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

is there a "blessing of devil"? perhaps there are people that pray for that, who knows....

what exactly is ire oluwa? that sound like a scripted prayer from one of these scam evangelists deceiving gullible people and sucking their pockets dry.

ire oluwa is a very poor example.

anyway,
blessing - ibukun
wellbeing - alafia

peace - ire

ire-ayo. Blessings of Joy.

Ire- goodness

Greetings: Alaafia fun onile yi o. Peace unto this household.

Response:Alaafia fun eni ti o n bo. Peace be unto d visitor.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by cigaricon(m): 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2013
Salama in hausa smiley
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by wwwdotnscdc(m): 3:08pm On Mar 20, 2013
tlops:

ire-ayo. Blessings of Joy.

ire-ayo. Goodness of joy
ibukun-ayo. The blessing of joy
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by YorubaOmoge: 3:11pm On Mar 20, 2013
wwwdotnscdc:

ire-ayo. Goodness of joy
ibukun-ayo. The blessing of joy

He's not wrong.
Like the English language; Yoruba has synonymical words.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by wwwdotnscdc(m): 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
[quote
author=warrior101]

egbun mi e' gba jare.
Peace = Alafia. Even though it's borrowed. "Ire". I serious don't know
which English word to use for Ire so I pass it for Peace too. Yoruba
lingo is a 2 jinle jor...[/quote]

Goodness ni ire. Ti a ba gba adua, a ma ng wipe: ki ire ati aanu maa tele enia. Awon Eleebo a wa so wipe: May goodness and mercy follow you...
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Dawdy(m): 3:18pm On Mar 20, 2013
Alaafia peace
Ifokanbale rest of mind
Ire fortune
Ibukun/aLUBARIKA blessing
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by mavo51: 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ufuoma in urhobo
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by wwwdotnscdc(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

He's not wrong.
Like the English language; Yoruba has synonymical words.

Ofcourse he is. Ki ayo ki o po si yatosi ki ayo ki o dara.
Ibukun: Ki nkan ki o le. Ki o po si.
Ire: Ki nkan ki o dara. Ki o se rere.

Iyato ibe po daadaa.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
negro already pointed out the difficulty in trying to directly transcribe yoruba words or syntax to english.

in casual use, sometimes some of these words are linked by association [ie the general idea or concept], not necessarily because the meaning is exactly the same.

and yes, ire can mean, or means goodness.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2013
gulfer: I suppose the Yoruba name for peace, is 'Ifokanbale'

ifokanbale refers to the individual, not the environment.

so, it means rest of mind, and is descriptive, not a noun.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Annoying Nigerian Sayings / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.