Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,032 members, 7,956,822 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:01 PM

How Kebbi Primary School Teachers Are Promoted Without Pay Raise - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Kebbi Primary School Teachers Are Promoted Without Pay Raise (368 Views)

Private School Teachers Are Really Going Through Alot. / Private School Teachers Are Currently Benefiting From The Closure Of Schools. / School Teachers Shocked At What They Found Under Student's Cardigan (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Kebbi Primary School Teachers Are Promoted Without Pay Raise by Shehuyinka: 2:31pm On Feb 20, 2023
THE letter Nasir Garba, 43, received in 2013 was the last one that mattered.

It indicated that his request for a higher grade level — from entry level 6 to level 7 — had been approved by the Kebbi State Universal Basic Education Board (KBSUBEB).

In the month that followed, his salary reflected it. The process was fast. So when he requested another promotion in 2016, this time from level 7 to 8, and his monthly wage remained the same two months after approval, he considered it a minor error that would soon be rectified.

He was wrong. Instead, that began an unimplemented promotion issue that would last almost a decade. He would later request a promotion in 2019 and 2022 for levels 9 and 10. All the requests were approved but not implemented.

Nasir Garba teaches Information communication technology (ICT) at Gwandu Emirate Model Primary School, a government-owned school located in the Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi state capital.

The school is in the middle of the city, with four blocks, a story building, about 2001 students and 42 teachers, who, like Nasir, have received promotions with pay raise for years.

Most class teachers are recruited at grade level six. After three years, they are qualified for a level upgrade. Once the promotion is approved, the teachers are entitled to a raise.

The Kebbi state Universal Basic Education Board (KBSUBEB) is responsible for processing and approving the promotions.

After approval, the Local government Education Authority (LGEA) in the 21 LGAs in the state is to pay the new teachers an increased monthly wage. However, this process is never completed.

Constitutionally, the role of the Kebbi UBE board is to appoint, promote, transfer, dismiss and discipline all teaching and non-teaching staff on grade level 07 and above in primary schools. And also supervise the affairs of the LGEAs.

Multiple promotions without financial benefits
The notification of payment Nasir received in November 2022 and shared with The ICIR showed that he earns N27,523 monthly, an amount below Nigeria’s minimum wage.

It is the same amount he earned in 2013 after he received the upgraded letter.

After working as a primary school teacher for 14 years, Nasir is entitled to N48,000 monthly wage as a grade level 10 teacher.

The board had approved his application in January 2022, but his salary did not change.

“Last year, I moved to level 10, but my salary is still the same amount I earned about eight years ago when I was in level 7. I have accumulated promotions that are never reflected in my pay.

“I applied, provided all the required documents, and the documents were authenticated and approved, but I never got to enjoy the financial benefits. It is unfair,” Nasir told The ICIR.

Nasir’s case is not isolated. Teachers who spoke to The ICIR said promotion without a raise is an issue affecting every primary school teacher in the state.

Also, several teachers still earn below the minimum wage despite working for nearly a decade.

The Kebbi Government announced in 2019 that it had domesticated the new minimum wage legislation and was set to commence payment of the wage to civil servants.

But three years after this announcement, many civil servants still earn below N30,000. Although The ICIR could not get a full scale of the state’s teachers’ salaries, its finding showed that primary school workers still earn as low as N17,000 to N18,000 monthly.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/how-kebbi-primary-school-teachers-are-promoted-without-pay-raise/

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Sanwo Olu Re-opens Chrisland School / Help: I Want To Study Political Science In Open University / RIE CEE 2023 Answer Key And Question Paper Analysis 2 July Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.