Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,535 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) (81465 Views)

Ado Ekiti Is Underrated / Is Ikot-Ekpene Nigeria's Most Underrated City? / Is ILORIN Nigeria's Most Underrated City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Goodbadbowy419: 2:41pm On Mar 02, 2023
Gate2:
Yesterday when I was returning from border. This is the tollgate while entering Cotonou from Nigeria or coming from port Novo
I know this tollgate very well damnn e don tey sha
My last visit was 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Goodbadbowy419: 2:43pm On Mar 02, 2023
Yeyeboi05:
I was there last month and stayed for a month,I can confirm all these! Benin is an amazing place,I’d love to explore more of the country,or even settle there soon…Naija no be here tho! I met many girls with big backside tho lol.

You be yeyeboi 😂 yansh is life tho

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 2:48pm On Mar 02, 2023
Peledonomy:

How much their education dey cost? How much can a million do for me as regards a degree

💯 Right.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 3:13pm On Mar 02, 2023
capnies:
Please brother can you elaborate on schools and school fees for secondary and university students
Salary for bilingual teachers, and what someone can travel with for a family of four, ECOWAS passport and the churches available in Cotonou and Port Novo

For some bilingual schools, u can get between 40-70k per term. Then for some bilingual Montessori school, they pay above 90k per term.
Then u mustn't speak french B4 u can teach in the Bilingual schools. And salary ranges from 40k to 100k depend on the subject u teach. Like presently I know of a vacancy for science teacher like, physics and chemistry.
As for the documents, ur ECOWAS passport speaks volume and when u come, u may need residence permit

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 3:17pm On Mar 02, 2023
capnies:
Please brother can you elaborate on schools and school fees for secondary and university students
Salary for bilingual teachers, and what someone can travel with for a family of four, ECOWAS passport and the churches available in Cotonou and Port Novo

As for churches, they many popular churches here but most are situated in Nigerians populated environment like, peka Dix, Akpakpa, Jon k axis etc. Some churches do translation
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Peledonomy: 4:19pm On Mar 02, 2023
zx9651:

around 150k to 250k per session. however, the quality of education in these ‘english speaking’ universities here is very poor. I would advise you to study in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Peledonomy: 4:42pm On Mar 02, 2023
I'm looking for a country to just migrate to and hustle. I don't have money for western nations yet.

I was thinking Cameroon, Benin, Kenya or Rwanda.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Euphoria19: 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2023
Visited Benin in January and it was absolutely amazing, the people were friendly even with the language barrier cause I don't know french and most don't know English, I regretted why I didn't take french seriously in my primary and secondary education.

It's a very peaceful and quiet place, traveled to ouidah and visited different places, it's a good place to retire to or relocate entirely.

Op please what are the various job opportunities that one can find there if you don't want to go into business.

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 8:03pm On Mar 02, 2023
Peledonomy:
I'm looking for a country to just migrate to and hustle. I don't have money for western nations yet.

I was thinking Cameroon, Benin, Kenya or Rwanda.

Any ideas?

I would have suggested Kenya but getting residence permit as a Nigerian isn't easy and the cost of traveling and settling down there is almost like traveling is gonna be high as well. Same goes to Rwanda but u will enjoy the place but I doubt if they have that good purchasing power.
Cameroon will give u flexibility cos of bilingual opportunity. Remember that both Cameroon and Benin republic is strictly for business. So without money and proper plan, u won't survive well. Since u don't have much money, Benin is my best choice for u so that u can utilize the little u have properly. Thanks

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 8:11pm On Mar 02, 2023
Euphoria19:
Visited Benin in January and it was absolutely amazing, the people were friendly even with the language barrier cause I don't know french and most don't know English, I regretted why I didn't take french seriously in my primary and secondary education.

It's a very peaceful and quiet place, traveled to ouidah and visited different places, it's a good place to retire to or relocate entirely.

Op please what are the various job opportunities that one can find there if you don't want to go into business.

Sincerely this is a difficult question. For now I can say teaching in bilingual schools. And going to do Bale selection job aylt Misebo but learnt the job demand is high. So getting it isn't that easy except u keep staying with them and be pressurizing them. It's not that easy but can be u upto 10k cefa a day and 5k cefa for half day. Remember the rest of the jobs that may consider u, may require u to be flunct in french language.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by nwauwa(m): 11:57pm On Mar 02, 2023
Euphoria19:

How much was cefa to naira exchange rate ? Or usd to cefa? Did you exchange in Nigeria, seem border or inside Cotonou proper?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by nwauwa(m): 12:05am On Mar 03, 2023
Gatess:

Food is relatively cheap bro. At least some bags of foreign rice is below 20k cefa. 1kilo of garri is about 250-300 cefa. Tomato of 500 cefa can last u for a day for a family of four.
Fish is cheaper here.
Fruits like pineapple is extremely cheap, even orange
Please what is the current exchange rate ie naira to cefa and usd to cefa?
For someone going to Togo for a short trip, where do u advise they exchange their money?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by yourshopkwikguy(m): 12:54am On Mar 03, 2023
Cotonou Benin republic is actually a lovely place to be with security, quality of living nd great road network, I was there last year July.
I enjoyed my stay tho but there's high cost of Living especially the rent, imagine paying 30k CFA monthly for a room self apartment but the currency issue is due to how weak naira became. As of 2019 10,000 naira was 35,000 naira CFA so now it's the same thing, you will need 30,000 naira to pay for 35,000 CFA Also
it's always a hard task for Nigerians to see house here especially students because most of this landlords don't want to rent house to Nigerians. the language barrier is issues at times, just pray you aren't caught up between 2 beninese they can Bleep you up.
They really respect their police there, they take the most little case to police station lolll..
Bikes is most common mode of transport here, you have to understand little french to communicate with locals thoo although most of them understand Yoruba.
I really miss atasi, this guys eat anything eatable with soko bread. Their English universities here are kinda sub standard tho, they spend 3 years..
Generally benin is a great place to be if you have money or great business idea to exploit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 8:40am On Mar 03, 2023
yourshopkwikguy:
Cotonou Benin republic is actually a lovely place to be with security, quality of living nd great road network, I was there last year July.
I enjoyed my stay tho but there's high cost of Living especially the rent, imagine paying 30k CFA monthly for a room self apartment but the currency issue is due to how weak naira became. As of 2019 10,000 naira was 35,000 naira CFA so now it's the same thing, you will need 30,000 naira to pay for 35,000 CFA Also
it's always a hard task for Nigerians to see house here especially students because most of this landlords don't want to rent house to Nigerians. the language barrier is issues at times, just pray you aren't caught up between 2 beninese they can Bleep you up.
They really respect their police there, they take the most little case to police station lolll..
Bikes is most common mode of transport here, you have to understand little french to communicate with locals thoo although most of them understand Yoruba.
I really miss atasi, this guys eat anything eatable with soko bread. Their English universities here are kinda sub standard tho, they spend 3 years..
Generally benin is a great place to be if you have money or great business idea to exploit.

Bravo!!! I love your input bro. Meanwhile you can't say rent is expensive. When doing your comparism, I prefer u compare Lagos to Cotonou and port Novo with Abuja. U don't compare Cotonou with places like osun, nasarawa, Ogun etc

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by baabzz: 8:43am On Mar 03, 2023
Gatess:

Bravo!!! I love your input bro. Meanwhile you can't say rent is expensive. When doing your comparism, I prefer u compare Lagos to Cotonou and port Novo with Abuja. U don't compare Cotonou with places like osun, nasarawa, Ogun etc

morning bossman. how can I reach u please?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 8:47am On Mar 03, 2023
nwauwa:

For someone going to Togo for a short trip, where do u advise they exchange their money?

1k naira is between 800-850 cefa for black market Some may even wanna give u Lower. I will suggest u don't change much at the border. I can direct u to one of the best places to get it at the best rate but check border first, so u understand.
Moreover u can't get official rate exchange here.
Dollar to cefa official rate when I checked yesterday was above 600 cefa
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gatess: 8:48am On Mar 03, 2023
baabzz:

morning bossman. how can I reach u please?

+2349130797074 Whatsapp
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by nwauwa(m): 10:23am On Mar 03, 2023
Gatess:

1k naira is between 800-850 cefa for black market Some may even wanna give u Lower. I will suggest u don't change much at the border. I can direct u to one of the best places to get it at the best rate but check border first, so u understand.
Moreover u can't get official rate exchange here.
Dollar to cefa official rate when I checked yesterday was above 600 cefa
am not asking for official rate. which of the borders will be better to change, seme or hilla conji?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Euphoria19: 11:26am On Mar 03, 2023
Gatess:

Sincerely this is a difficult question. For now I can say teaching in bilingual schools. And going to do Bale selection job aylt Misebo but learnt the job demand is high. So getting it isn't that easy except u keep staying with them and be pressurizing them. It's not that easy but can be u upto 10k cefa a day and 5k cefa for half day. Remember the rest of the jobs that may consider u, may require u to be flunct in french language.

Thank you
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Euphoria19: 11:34am On Mar 03, 2023
nwauwa:

How much was cefa to naira exchange rate ? Or usd to cefa? Did you exchange in Nigeria, seem border or inside Cotonou proper?

It was 850 cefa to 1k naira and I changed at the border as well as inside Cotonou proper, there are different exchange places, in my experience changing at the border was more expensive than inside Cotonou, but not by much difference except you’re changing lots of money though

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gate2: 4:41pm On Mar 03, 2023
nwauwa:

At Tokpa axis. There is a particular person but don't have her number. She is Yoruba. But can try getting the number later

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gate2: 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
Hi

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by nwadikeokey11: 11:43am On Mar 04, 2023
techgen:
The mistake Nigeria made is simply the almagamation of north and south by that yeye Luaguard of a man... If not Niger Delta supposed be small London...Therefore, it's definitely insane to compare a population of 5million to 250million... Overall, Benin republic is doing well!!!
if your lame yardstick is truly correct then Nigeria should be far better than China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, USA and some other countries whose population are way bigger than Nigeria and who are doing far better than Nigeria in just about everything. Come off that your nonsense excuses and face the fact. Nigeria is a useless country governed by pigs and maggots, period.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by techgen(m): 1:17pm On Mar 04, 2023
nwadikeokey11:
if your lame yardstick is truly correct then Nigeria should be far better than China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, USA and some other countries whose population are way bigger than Nigeria and who are doing far better than Nigeria in just about everything. Come off that your nonsense excuses and face the fact. Nigeria is a useless country governed by pigs and maggots, period.

And your fact hold no water.
Those countries you mention, do they have the number of tribes in Nigeria.

Because your head won't tell you that our major problem is ethnicity!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Ge0grapher(m): 9:22am On Mar 05, 2023
Gerrard59:

She has always told us that Nigeria no be am. That the country can never get better. This was when I was in primary school o. So no be today. She has been preaching it as she is well travelled. Then, she would say "Nigerians don't know how to enjoy life", "even with money, you cannot enjoy life in Nigeria", And this is a woman who has money o.

Yes, regional government is the best. Let Abuja be weakened, and various states/regions elect leaders that can cater to their needs based on their cultural norms and beliefs. Use their natural resources for themselves, and contribute something to Abuja. Similar to the UK, and a little like the US. That is the only way Nigeria (various constituents) can develop and prosper. The elections in 2015 and a little bit of 2011 taught me lessons that the country is not united, and last I checked, divisive countries never prosper in the long run. Even when they do, they are not safe as prosperous homogenous countries.

I don't plan building/buying a house in Nigeria as we have properties already. I rather do Namibia than Benin Republic. I forsee Nigeria fighting another civil war. The case of residents in Ogun fleeing to Benin because of Fulani herdsmen and those in the North East to Cameroon or those in Western Cameroon fleeing to Uyo/Calabar are enough deterrent. I dread countries that have weak immigration policies towards Nigerians. The fewer Nigerias are there, the better.

You are a funny man, so what, if Nigerians migrate to Benin during the civil war? Would it collapse the house u built in Benin republic?? How exactly would it affect ur properties and businesses in the country? Abeg stop worrying over unnecessary things jaree

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Gerrard59(m): 9:03pm On Mar 05, 2023
Ge0grapher:

You are a funny man, so what, if Nigerians migrate to Benin during the civil war? Would it collapse the house u built in Benin republic?? How exactly would it affect ur properties and businesses in the country? Abeg stop worrying over unnecessary things jaree

So, a war erupts in Nigeria, and many people flee to Benin Republic, which is smaller than Niger state, and to you, the country and her services would not be overwhelmed with the outrageous influx of people? You think Benin Republic is Poland or Germany (those ones are even complaining too)? Do you know what it is for a small country to be at the receiving end of a refugee crises originating from a bigger and ethnically diversified country? Nigeria can accept lots of refugees from other African countries, but Benin Republic cannot.

I should stop worrying over unnecessary things, abi? Look at the threats some people dish out to others simply because of elections. Do you know the effects of that?

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Sweetvie: 9:42pm On Mar 05, 2023
Peledonomy:

How much their education dey cost? How much can a million do for me as regards a degree
Hmm
I studied in ISM Adonai uni for a year before I moved.
Fees varies, it depends on the course. Like, 200k- 400k.
Just 3 year. It depend on ur course also.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Aboguede(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2023
Tinubu heritage grin
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by sulaak(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2023
What is shocking is that majority of Benin Rep income is from customs duties bringing goods into Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by GeneralPulal: 10:00pm On Mar 05, 2023
Zaksart:

Please can you enlighten us on means of doing business that the OP didn't state... But I heard someone saying food is damn cheap in Benin republic compare to Nigeria.... That with 1k Cefa a family of four can manage it in a day. How true can that be.

Nah Lie bro lol..
Make them no deceive you..

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by GeneralPulal: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2023
KingofTheStreet:
Born in Benin Republic.. Funnily, i can't stay in Nigeria for 2 days.. I prefer 🇧🇯.. High cost of living though. But money is there
I don’t think there’s high cost of living in Cotonou..

It’s almost same with Nigeria..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) / Iran: Reconsider Travelling To Nigeria, US Warns Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.