Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) (81002 Views)

Ado Ekiti Is Underrated / Is Ikot-Ekpene Nigeria's Most Underrated City? / Is ILORIN Nigeria's Most Underrated City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by inoki247: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2023
For this west Africa I Neva see Wu get good road reach Benin Republic....

He worth the Toll Gate wey dem av smooth drive....

Even Togo is also constructing dere own road too to a standard one like the one in Benin Republic...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by CaptainFM1: 10:02pm On Mar 05, 2023
psucc:
Na person still live there? Are they not Africans? Who curse Nigeria?

APC
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:02pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.

Thanks for the eye opener. What is required of one to migrate to that place??
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by inoki247: 10:03pm On Mar 05, 2023
GeneralPulal:

I don’t think there’s high cost of living in Cotonou..

It’s almost same with Nigeria..

Buh dere fuel isn't the same with Nigeria last time I bought 650 CFA per liter the black market sef na like 500Cfa...
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by xevove2061: 10:03pm On Mar 05, 2023
Nigeria is a shithole. You wont know how much sub living you are until you leave the country.

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Sweetvie: 10:04pm On Mar 05, 2023
KingofTheStreet:
Born in Benin Republic.. Funnily, i can't stay in Nigeria for 2 days.. I prefer 🇧🇯.. High cost of living though. But money is there
High cost of living in Benin?🙄

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Suleiman45(m): 10:05pm On Mar 05, 2023
Op please i will like to relocate to benin or ghana can u enlightenme about their house rent and job. Thanks
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by GeneralPulal: 10:06pm On Mar 05, 2023
inoki247:

Buh dere fuel isn't the same with Nigeria last time I bought 650 CFA per liter the black market sef na like 500Cfa...
Fuel is cost. They don’t have fuel and it’s from Nigeria they buy from.

Normally, fuel is cost in every country that do import fuel..

When it comes to food, it’s cheap..
When it comes to electricity, they amount you’ll spent a month won’t be up to the money you’ll use to buy fuel in a month..
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by inoki247: 10:07pm On Mar 05, 2023
GeneralPulal:

Fuel is cost. They don’t have fuel and it’s from Nigeria they buy from.

Normally, fuel is cost in every country that do import fuel..

I know na Ghana own worst pass I don buy fuel from doz West Africa countries na only Nigeria get the best rate for West Africa....
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Strap: 10:08pm On Mar 05, 2023
It's true beninoise don't look for luxury to eat like Nigerians.
I stayed there for 4years.
Zaksart:

Please can you enlighten us on means of doing business that the OP didn't state... But I heard someone saying food is damn cheap in Benin republic compare to Nigeria.... That with 1k Cefa a family of four can manage it in a day. How true can that be.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by GeneralPulal: 10:08pm On Mar 05, 2023
inoki247:

I know na Ghana own worst pass I don buy fuel from doz West Africa countries na only Nigeria get the best rate for West Africa....
Exactly.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by panpan(m): 10:09pm On Mar 05, 2023
Hopez456:
I was raised and had my elementary education in Benin republic. ...
Their water is metered, metered 24/7 electricity has been there as far back as 2002.
Lovely and organized country i must confess.

Are private boreholes, for water, permitted in Benin Republic?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by akinsmail51: 10:14pm On Mar 05, 2023
The poster has really tried enough to capture the key features of Cotonou. Last year, I spent 10 days exploring 3 African countries; Benin, Togo & Ghana.

I felt ashamed travelling around with my powerbank then, because the availability of electricity is highly remarkable in those countries.

I can confirm those business opportunities listed by the poster.

12 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Elsueno: 10:16pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gate2:

Many African countries have left us behind when it comes to good life and good governance.

This happens because majority of Nigerians don't actually give a shyt about voting d right people..I believe Nigerians can actually fix this country if they so wish, Imagine the youths all over Nigeria standing up & voting for d most competent candidate of thier choice...Them no born INEC to Temper with anything & magically announce a winner at 3am... When Nigerians get serious, all these old incompetent politicians would be swiftly retired, Until then, it's business as usual 🤷

N.B hats up to d L.P people for showing us a glimpse of power we have as citizens and voters.. History would be very kind to u guys

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by nony43(m): 10:17pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:
How many people are in bene republic again?

If Nigeria was just like eg Ebonyi, small, maybe 5 million people, it will be very easy to govern.

Don’t be comparing 5million people to 250 million people. Over 300 ethnic groups. Over 500 languages. Oboy, incomparable.

Why can’t there be 24/7 electricity in that Ebonyi at least. That’s why we need to break this country so it could be easy to Govern.

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Horus(m): 10:18pm On Mar 05, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEu2j17b2JE

Cotonou, Benin Republic, a 30-meter bronze statue of a historic female warrior known as the Agojie of Dahomey
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by ogologoamu: 10:19pm On Mar 05, 2023
Francophone countries are more organized than Anglophone countries.

Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
* ETC

Business Opportunities

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by adecz: 10:19pm On Mar 05, 2023
Everything should work in a country whose population is less than ½ the population of Lagos❗️❗️

In the 60s, when Nigerian population was
less than 50million, everything was organized
and Nigeria was exporting many things
and importing few. We were a successful
country.

However when we became too successful
in the oza room, nothing come dey do
us again.

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by IecheM(m): 10:19pm On Mar 05, 2023
KingofTheStreet:
Born in Benin Republic.. Funnily, i can't stay in Nigeria for 2 days.. I prefer 🇧🇯.. High cost of living though. But money is there

Goodday boss.
Please do you know of any university that offers mechanical engineering over there in Benin Republic
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by adams123: 10:21pm On Mar 05, 2023
techgen:
The mistake Nigeria made is simply the almagamation of north and south by that yeye Luaguard of a man... If not Niger Delta supposed be small London...Therefore, it's definitely insane to compare a population of 5million to 250million... Overall, Benin republic is doing well!!!

What are the governors of Niger delta's states currently doing with their 13% derivation from the sales of crude oil? We are mostly corrupt in this country simple

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Yayi229: 10:24pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

* Security is good
* ETC

Business Opportunities

Etc

Hope you know their economy depends on Nigeria's to stay afloat...they cannot do without our smuggled oil and also the smuggled cars, electronics and used clothes in the opposite direction

Not saying they ain't doing better than us though, since their leaders have more sense and more conscience than the demonic beasts ruling Nigeria at the moment..

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by adams123: 10:25pm On Mar 05, 2023
adecz:

Everything should work in a country whose population is less than ½ the population of Lagos❗️❗️

country.

us again.

Na corruption the kill us.. USA is bigger than us interms of population

4 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Horus(m): 10:25pm On Mar 05, 2023
Cotonou, Benin Republic, a 30-meter bronze statue of a historic female warrior known as the Agojie of Dahomey

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by ChristianMuslim: 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2023
Im from ketou

4 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by smiliyB(f): 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2023
Be like say nah here I go relocate finally finally, I know neighbouring African countries won't be that bad like naija. embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Elsueno: 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2023
adecz:

country.

us again.

That is a shyty excuse & U know it, Dubai was freaking desert when Nigeria was rapidly raising, but look at them now....Luk at China over a billion people but still freaking organized...U just need to look Nigerias history & know that we are extremely regressing as a nation, even d population thing might start falling soon enough...I dislike Buhari, but i most compliment him for attempting to revive d rail ways & making our armed forces even better than when Nigeria was at its peak

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Meti99(m): 10:29pm On Mar 05, 2023
That was how Yoruba land was until we started having influx of foreigners in our land..
Very peaceful

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by olisaEze(m): 10:30pm On Mar 05, 2023
christianjoy:
Am gonna tour around Africa soon

What’s stopping you from starting now?? No education like traveling my broda! cool

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by smiliyB(f): 10:31pm On Mar 05, 2023
zx9651:
op stated facts. been living here for
almost four years, initially came for
a degree program which i have completed but i don’t wanna go back to naija. grin
And you no wan give us update

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Coronavirus1: 10:32pm On Mar 05, 2023
Zaksart:

Please can you enlighten us on means of doing business that the OP didn't state... But I heard someone saying food is damn cheap in Benin republic compare to Nigeria.... That with 1k Cefa a family of four can manage it in a day. How true can that be.
Not possible foods stuff are expensive
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Glowqueen3(f): 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
God bless Op with this insight on Benin republic, maybe l would consider relocating there too,lbadan done tire me.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Which European Country Can I Travel To With 3m? / The Isolated Marquesas Islands In The South Pacific (Pictures) / Why You Need To Make Bonny Island Your Next Travel Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.