Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) (81026 Views)

Ado Ekiti Is Underrated / Is Ikot-Ekpene Nigeria's Most Underrated City? / Is ILORIN Nigeria's Most Underrated City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by stevewhest(m): 11:02pm On Mar 05, 2023
Benin, my love for that country made me a novice when I got back to Nigeria😢

7 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 05, 2023
Hopez456:
Op is truly on point. I was raised and had my elementary education in Benin republic. The police, Genderm are professionals to the core. They rarely carry gun but just whistle, but with a blast, omo, you're done if at the wrong side of the law.
Their water is metered, metered 24/7 electricity has been there as far back as 2002.
Lovely and organized country i must confess.

But metered water is also in Nigeria

What is special about that??

If you have said they have metered cooking gas flowing through all the houses, i would have taken you serious.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 05, 2023
cybernaut:
Tell us more about their woman. If someone who locate their like their woman not naija woman

One of my acquaintances dated one of their women, o boy she show am shege until he call police for am.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by geezyk(m): 11:09pm On Mar 05, 2023
Zaksart:

Please can you enlighten us on means of doing business that the OP didn't state... But I heard someone saying food is damn cheap in Benin republic compare to Nigeria.... That with 1k Cefa a family of four can manage it in a day. How true can that be.
LOL, 1k cfa for a family of 4? Wetin you wan chop, is it for ewa, eba and dodo.
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Xerxes75: 11:14pm On Mar 05, 2023
Harassment by the security agencies is on the high side. When you are a foreigner and get to know, they extort you by demanding a lots of documents from you. Nigerians are their target at Tokpa market

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by geezyk(m): 11:18pm On Mar 05, 2023
Talon changed the face of politics in Cotonou, he jailed all the corrupt leaders, if you have a thought of stealing from public coffers, instant jail.

Jail is jist like going to secondary school, dem go quickly dash you 6 months.

The gendarme are ome of the best, dem no dey collect bribes, no nonsense pot bellied police officers, even highly ranked police officials have duty on the road. Fear the gendarmerie!

Be law abiding and you'll win even your landlord of he does anyhow.

Nice, beaches, barely see an apartment without a gate even if its bamboo, trees are planted everywhere, night life is the best, but the place is quite expensive to live. Their girls are top notch, especially if you encounter a Togolese, Senegalese or Ivorian, top top girls.

I love Cotonou.

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Princewill1(m): 11:19pm On Mar 05, 2023
grandstar:

The population of Liberia is 5m and the country is a shithole.

The population of Sierra Leone is 8.4m and it's a shithole.

The population of Burundi and its a shithole.

The population of China is 1.4bn people and it has world class infrastructure.

Population size here isn't the issue. Quality of governance is.
You only mentioned 3 countries out of 54 countries in Africa. I can mention over 10 smaller countries in Africa that are doing well in areas Nigeria is seriously lacking.

Population is a big factor in development. China that you mentioned, there are still tens of millions of poor people in China especially in rural areas despite the huge wealth in the hands of the Chinese govt. An average man in smaller Luxembourg or Hong Kong lives more quality life than an average Chinese man despite that the Chinese govt have over 10x more money than the countries I mentioned.

A family of 4 with total monthly income of 250k in Nigeria will live more quality life than a family of 10 with an income of 400k regardless who is leading the family.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Badgers: 11:22pm On Mar 05, 2023
No variety of good food

No much women gallivanting around like nija

Serene country, not like you can hustle and make it big and come back to nija to 'oppress'

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Shamzo4u: 11:23pm On Mar 05, 2023
Valentineboy1:

Please must I have international passport before I can.enter the country? And what is best route by land to follow

It’s better for you to have a passport before you go to avoid unnecessary harassment. Police there don’t really like Nigerians but you can avoid them by fulfilling all the righteousness.

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Okiton: 11:25pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.
brother me
Please help me

Within these few weeks I really have serious thought crossing to that country. But the main issue at hand now is that I don't really understand french much apart from the basic
Good morning
Good evening
How are you

And secondly what is the cost of getting accommodation there as a first visit and planning to base in the country. And moreso, I'm an information technologist, I develop and design website, mobile apps, database management, and general internet activities. Also I go in educational work such project and thesis for undergraduates and postgraduates respectively and general academic paperwork.

With these, what are chances of surviving in the country. Note I don't have anyone in that country and I've been there before but just planing to enter there rent apartment and enter street start hustle.

Please advise me in the steps to take
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by babyfaceafrica: 11:30pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:

Bravo!!! I love your input bro. Meanwhile you can't say rent is expensive. When doing your comparism, I prefer u compare Lagos to Cotonou and port Novo with Abuja. U don't compare Cotonou with places like osun, nasarawa, Ogun etc

BRO rent is expensive o... How can you he paying 40k cefa for self con monthly..

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Meandmycrew(f): 11:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
Nice and lovely place if you cant travel out go to benin republic

Stop and search gone wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph4Tz-CMO3w
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by infogeneral: 11:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gate2:

Funny enough, The ivory coast you talked about is mainly dependent on agriculture. Their roads àre so sweet and their police and immigration are very good too. Many African countries have left us behind when it comes to good life and good governance.

Nigeria is still forming African giant lori iro.

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Dshocker(m): 11:34pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gatess:
THE UNDERRATED COTONOU

Since I was born till date, we Nigerians have always looked down on a lot of neighboring countries like Cameroon, Togo, Benin Republic etc.
Well, you are not to be blamed if you are among those who look down on some of these countries, even when we have not had an opportunity to cross border.

Well I was one of those people who actually looked down on most of these countries until I had an opportunity to sail round west Africa and the narratives changed.

Meanwhile I was completely marvelled the first time I visited Cotonou, the business hub of Benin Republic about 4 years ago when Patrice Talon newly took office
Two years after I re-visited, after touring round other west African countries. I spent 3 days here and without a waste of time, I concluded to relocate down to this place based on the level of development I saw, the security, serenity etc.

Finally I am now living here and I have no regret so far.

I will say this country is blessed with the best president who is working tirelessly to improve the living conditions of his beloved citizens and I am glad hearing citizens saying positive things about the president.

Things You Don't Know About Benin Republic...

*They have currently have one of the best roads/road network in west Africa
* The maintain law and order
* Security is good
* Security personnels are friendly and don't intimidate anyone. If caught intimidating you, he or she will severely be punished
" If you are caught in a robbery attack which involves gun, forget it, u are gun forever.
* Electricity is 247. No low voltage or unecessarily interruptions.
* Steady clean water supply by the government at an affordable rate
* 247 transport system cos of good security
* Night life is topnotch.. in fact their balling na night with street light almost every nook and cranny of the city.
* Amazing beaches with super duper fun.
* Nice Bilingual schools for your kids
*Stress free movement without traffic jam.
* Policemen scattered at every nook and cranny of the town to maintain law and order and not for stop and search.
* Drugs are only bought or sold at a registered pharmacies and not from quacks or roadside vendors
* Foreigners almost have same right with citizen and can't be treated anyhow
*Women are like egg here. Any maltreatment or mistreatment, you will face the law.
*Public school, go to sch by 7:30am and return home for break by 12noon and return back to school by 3pm to dismiss between 6-7pm Monday- Friday
* You can choose to relocate from your rented apartment after a month or two cos of the privilege of monthly payment plan
* Their money now more valuable than naira in black market
*This is the only safe transit route coming from other African countries to Nigeria. Of course you should know how that helps an economy.
*Internet is steady and fast but a bit expensive
*Pepper body no common here like naija
* ETC

Business Opportunities
From My Findings So Far...

*Tailoring is a place to explore especially when you sew English wears and Nigerian attires
* Sales of any kind of electronics which you can bring from Nigeria and Togo cos they are cheaper over there and expensive here.
* Sales of second hand phones and laptops, not forgetting their accessories too. Very lucrative
* Nigerian foods are in high demand especially areas where Nigerians live more. U go sell tire
* Sales of sewing machines(more of manual)and it's accessories are in high demand cos this is their major skill work with hairdressing.
* Phone and laptop repairs needs serious attention here cos most of the engineers are not competent enough
* Sales of motor parts/bike parts. Both are very good biz here too.
* Bilingual schools are still in high demand in some places including teachers.
* Transportation biz- As a naija man, u will do better plying from border to town, if you are a smart. As an okada rider, concentrate around Tokpa, Misebo and Beach, you will be fine too.
Those who are into okirika(2nd clothes, shoes & bags), it's still very profitable till date but you must have a good contact for you not to be cheated.
Etc

Let me drop my pen here for now. I will be sharing some photos of the places I have been to like the beaches etc . So stay tuned as we will be dropping more information to give you a comprehensive info about the country generally.

You forgot to mention that 98% of their citizens practice voodoo.

You can't use and dump their girls anyhow, else you go hear am, unless say the girl no report you give her family.

As i am typing this right now, a guy from my village is still running mad, after he deceived one of their girls with love and impregnated her, at the end he dumped her, sometime around year 2003 till date.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Chriswazo(m): 11:38pm On Mar 05, 2023
How can one get their residence permit easily? @Gate2?
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by AngelicBeing: 11:41pm On Mar 05, 2023
pansophist:

Yes. People from the ivory coast, for example, are not even trying to leave their country like Nigerians, that should tell you something, Their passport does not need transit through EU airports, and goes to more countries such as Singapore, unlike Nigerian passport.

Until Nigerians removed the mindset that it must be a white manÅ› country, they will miss other good places which are easily accessible and doesnt cost much. Of course target the west, its way better, but if you cant achieve that, neighbouring countries are good.
You are correct, l enjoyed all my stay / business trip etc in Cotonou / lvory coast, Ghana / Mali, Gambia / Burkina Faso before l travel to The West for studies, I agree with all the Op posted, Benin Republic and lvory coast are good places to live and enjoy quality life, Nigeria is just a joke of a country sad

9 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Asour: 11:43pm On Mar 05, 2023
Gate2:

I guess china, India and USA would have been a shit hole if population hinders development. If u are talking in terms of crime, I will agree with bro. Instead of u to blame the corrupt leaders, u are bringing population into this. It's well

To be sincere, huge population does make things a lot tougher.

India's bottom ~15% +are as poor as the poorest people in Nigeria. You know what 15% of 1.3bn is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economictimes.com/news/india/india-lifted-415-million-out-of-poverty-in-15-years-says-un/amp_articleshow/94926338.cms

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Truthshscrazy: 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2023
We giant afruca grin

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by zinaunreal(m): 11:48pm On Mar 05, 2023
Yes but nothing changes the fact that the country is a stinking country.

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by factcheckmmm: 11:48pm On Mar 05, 2023
Starboytwo:
How many people are in bene republic again?

If Nigeria was just like eg Ebonyi, small, maybe 5 million people, it will be very easy to govern.

Don’t be comparing 5million people to 250 million people. Over 300 ethnic groups. Over 500 languages. Oboy, incomparable.

And what is stopping Nigeria from seperating
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by AngelicBeing: 11:52pm On Mar 05, 2023
Dshocker:

You forgot to mention that 98% of their citizens practice voodoo.

You can't use and dump their girls anyhow, else you go hear am, unless say the girl no report you give her family.

As i am typing this right now, a guy from my village is still running mad, after a decisived one of their girls with love and impregnated her, at the end he dumped her, sometime around year 2003 till date.
You are correct, they worship snake sef and I think it is the Headquarters of voodoo worship in the world

6 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Napata77: 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2023
HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THAT THEIR MAIN RELIGION IN THE REPUBLIC OF BENIN IS VOODOO?

ISN'T IT STRANGE HOW THE PRACTITIONERS OF ATR (AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION) PRODUCE THE BEST ORGANIZED NATIONS?

CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS IN NIGERIA, HOW FAR?

6 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Consonance: 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2023
Some can give an excuse of our population in Nigeria but that's not the real problem. Corruption is the number one issue. There are no strong punitive measures to reduce corruption. Every man by nature has the tendency to be corrupt if he knows he can easily get away with it.

5 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by emmybobo1: 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2023
Meti99:
That was how Yoruba land was until we started having influx of foreigners in our land..
Very peaceful
But there are foreigners in BENIN — many of them

1 Like

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by BaddaMan: 11:54pm On Mar 05, 2023
Everything OP said is real, Op forgot to mention clean Air. How’s your French btw, cos I have been considering relocating too but the high cost of internet and communication is a deal breaker for me sir.

2 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by smiliyB(f): 11:56pm On Mar 05, 2023
Hopez456:
Wow!!!. I was stunned the first time I saw the toll gate. World class!
you guys should share pic nah cry
Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by factcheckmmm: 11:56pm On Mar 05, 2023
DonroxyII:
Nigeria wouldn't have been Nigeria without the Almagamation ... It's a Blessing Because Nigeria would have been a war torned Country like Liberia and Sierra due to the number of Minor Tribes/Ethnic groups Concentrated in the Middle belts and SouthSouthern Nigeria with Deep Hatred for themselves....

Nigerdelta couldn't have been a small London but war torned Protectorate of the Oil Companies because the People can't manage themselves and that's what the Problem is all About "Managements Skills" that truly Represents Our Diversity and Uniqueness!

Nigerdelta has the most Concentrated of Minor Tribes in Nigeria only Second to North Central/Middle Belts ...

The Major Ethnic has helped keep Sanities Over the Minor Ethnic and that's Why Nigeria is Nigeria if not Chaos Would have Ravaged this Country due to Inter and Intra Ethnic/Tribes Conflicts On Lands, Women, Resources Etc...... People no too gather sense like that in these axis !

Nevertheless, the Major Ethnic are Bunch of Failures themselves because we need Strong Leadership over Nigeria and Deeper Internal Almagamation to Butress Our Unity, Growths and Developments ....

Rubbish post , seems you are northerner cause of easy bend

Dead talk

Seperation is instrumental

Stop saying rubbish

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by ImpregnaTor(m): 11:57pm On Mar 05, 2023
We really need to restructure this country before it gets too late sad

The current system won't take us any where and has failed abysmally.

Tinubu claims to be an advocate of true federalism, so I'm hoping he gets this done sad

3 Likes

Re: The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) by Ilamina(f): 11:57pm On Mar 05, 2023
Nothing special about that place

Lots of voodoo
I thought being a French colony makes it less voodooish but that's not the case
French colonies juju is even worse. . Haiti, Benin republic, Togo, ivory coast

Rubbish hotels with no good cable

Their police look wicked just like every country police

I like the fact because you can't speak french, they don't look down on you but actually helpful and welcoming

And they love Nigerian naira, so they are friendly to Nigerians. . because our currency is stronger

Quite peaceful, nice roads
Just like any other African country

Ghana, more modern and westernized

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

Which European Country Can I Travel To With 3m? / The Isolated Marquesas Islands In The South Pacific (Pictures) / Why You Need To Make Bonny Island Your Next Travel Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.