Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC (3724 Views)

Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana / If A Presidential Candidate Wins The Majority Of The Votes But Doesn't Have 25% / Rivers Bye-Election: Returning Officer Declares APC Winner, INEC Suspends It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by garfield1: 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2023
vicdom:
Mike Igini, INEC resident commissioner had just on Arise TV this morning cleared the air on wether or not 25% votes cast is required in FCT to be declared winner.

Mike Igini posited that even after securing 25% in 24 states already, that the candidate MUST secure 25% equally in FCT, the seat of power, otherwise the candidate is going nowhere!

CC: Garfield1 Senatordave1, ,,,Same argument I was making earlier, but many people here rubbished my claims.

What rubbish is this? Is igini a constitutional lawyer or an inec member
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by OfficialAPCNig: 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2023
DeOTR:

Check the wordings again. The law never said you must have at 25% of vote cast in the FCT to be declared winner. At least, 25% in 2/3 of states and the FCT, is not the same as at least, 25% in FCT and 2/3 of 36 states.
That wording is ambiguous, meaning it can be interpreted in more than one way.

25% in 2/3 of the states and FCT could me:

1. 25% in 2/3 of the 36 states + FCT (37 subnational units)

2. 25% in 36 states and 25% in FCT

Different interpretations. INEC has given theirs and yours don't matter.

2 Likes

Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by wegevv: 3:11pm On Feb 24, 2023
garfield1:

What rubbish is this? Is igini a constitutional lawyer or an inec member

Keep crying senatordave1 aka omo-greatest grin

I tried to warn you ❤️

wegevv:

PS: FCT is special because it is not a state. It has no gubernatorial elections. You must get 25% in FCT since you will appoint the minister that will essentially govern FCT.

You're welcome <3
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by DeOTR: 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2023
OfficialAPCNig:

That wording is ambiguous, meaning it can be interpreted in more than one way.

25% in 2/3 of the states and FCT could me:

1. 25% in 2/3 of the 36 states + FCT (37 subnational units)

2. 25% in 36 states and 25% in FCT

Different interpretations. INEC has given theirs and yours don't matter.
It's not ambiguous. It's written in English.
25% in 2/3 of states and FCT is not the same as 25% in 2/3 of states and 25% in FCT.
And no, Mr Igini is not INEC. Peradventure if the candidate that'll have the majority vote doesn't have up to 25% in the FCT, INEC will approach the Court if they're not clear.
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by FreedomfromtheT: 9:02pm On Feb 24, 2023
MrFourSHIRTS:

Rest abeg... No time for Internet presidency arguement.. stick to ya Biafla or death grin
Who was quoted as saying 'I don't believe in One Nigeria'?
Which people are agitating for OduaNation?
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by FreedomfromtheT: 9:07pm On Feb 24, 2023
I hope this 25% in 24 states and Abuja does not cause problem. I suggest that it be resolved by the Supreme Court NOW!
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by xtivin(m): 9:09pm On Feb 24, 2023
SaintNegro77:
What of Peter Obi that will get 90% in Abuja??
Ah go piss for your ear o... angry
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by walefresh3(m): 9:17pm On Feb 24, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
I hope this 25% in 24 states and Abuja does not cause problem. I suggest that it be resolved by the Supreme Court NOW!
bros obi go become distance third.. I swesr
Re: You Must Have 25% Of Votes Cast In FCT To Be Declared Winner - INEC by FreedomfromtheT: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2023
walefresh3:
bros obi go become distance third.. I swesr
That is not the point here.
BTW, if you really believe this your boastful claim, why then are you so much obsessed with Nigeria's incoming president Mr. Peter Obi?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku, Tinubu, Obi, In Tight Race As Run-off Looms / China Spent $25B For 22,000MW And Nigeria $35B For 2500MW / This Is The Best President In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.