Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,839 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract (9986 Views)

Non-Remittance Of Recovered Loot: Reps Threaten To Arrest EFCC Boss / Buhari Queries Okonjo-iweala Over Diversion Of $1bn Rail Transport Loan / Nigeria Seals N4.5trn Trade Pact With UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Nimshi: 8:58am On Sep 14, 2011
They will get her, because her hands are not clean.

This woman has failed to learn one thing: to eat with devils, you need a very very long spoon.

You also need to be above board, completely - completely - clean, and avoid any appearance of corruption.

Unfortunately, Okonjo-Iweala has not done all these.

Obasanjo - an unbelievanle corrupt pilitician - sacked her; she didn't protest much; now she's back. She's become one of them. Too bad.

Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by gidson12(m): 9:00am On Sep 14, 2011
they should be probing aganga or muhktar, it was during their tenure that the contract was awarded, let them allow this woman do her job and stop distracting her
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by dboss4life: 9:02am On Sep 14, 2011
This country of ours called Nigeria is finished, imagine awarding a contract to the tune of 4.5 trillion to an unknown firm without due process, this country is useless and ruled by mischievous characters who have nothing other than corruption to offer this country.

The worst part is that the youths whose future is being destroyed keep quiet and hoping that tommorrow things will change for the better. no matter how hard we fast and pray, nothing is going to change in Nigeria not untill the youths of this country called Nigeria are ready to be men and take up arms and carry out a very violent revolution by exterminating all this corrupt officials of the government and their entire families. untill this is done, we will never see progress in this country called Nigeria.

Ghana did it and they are better off today, liberia did same, the asian tigers did same, America murdered 2 of its president before things started taking shape for the better. and untill we are ready to carryout a violent revolution in this Nigeria, nothing will change, it will still be business as usual for the corrupt politicians and their cronies.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by iswell1(m): 9:11am On Sep 14, 2011
why evil people don't want Nigeria to rest, just becos okonjo vow to put things in other they started
attack her. my sister don't worry God will help you, don't loss faith.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by agitator: 9:27am On Sep 14, 2011
ikoha:

maybe i missed something but this contract was awarded before Mrs Okonjo resumed work. and according to the report, she was still carrying out investigation into the award of the contract being that she was not the one that awarded the contract. is she not supposed to gather her facts together so that when she comes to the  panel she will be able to present fact and figures? i dont understand the speed at which the panel wants her to appear before them. is she not supposed to be given adequate time or an ultimatum after which the panel can start talking tough and finally heaping legal brimstones on her. this is just a case of someone in your family commits a crime and you get quizzed about it and finally gets arrested. just my opinion.

They have their percentage in the contract, so this action is to stall her investigation.

Her investigations wants to stop some people share of the national cake.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by bossinie: 9:35am On Sep 14, 2011
FACE:

For the avoidance of doubt and for those who cannot read; this contract was awarded in June 2009 to an unregistered company, which later got registered in 2010.

Okonjo Iweala has been summoned because it was awarded by her ministry, eventhough she was not in charge at the time.

NASS is really silly though, cos I doubt that she is able to provide any answers without carrying out investigations. Talk about playing to the gallery.
I believe this contract was awarded during the tenure of Mr. big mouth(Aganga) he should be summoned and not Okonjo-Iweala.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Evans5050: 9:51am On Sep 14, 2011
It is very clear now

The plan by the corrupt politicians to stop this lady

They will all FAIL, SHAME
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Golfer: 11:07am On Sep 14, 2011
Read between the lines, They just want to find out what she knows so far, so that they can cover their tracks.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by deeflamez(m): 12:07pm On Sep 14, 2011
Too bad these Reps are as clueless as their Preisdo, A contract that was awarded during a tenure which she wasnt even involved na hin dey come pull ontop her head now. Useless bunch of miscreants undecided
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by member479760: 12:19pm On Sep 14, 2011
Nothing go happen!
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by nduchucks: 12:20pm On Sep 14, 2011
Some of you numskulls should wonder why Madame Iweala did not submit all the information regarding the said contract to the Reps. Why did she let it get to the point of being threatened by the reps?
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by romeo(m): 12:29pm On Sep 14, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Some of you numskulls should wonder why Madame Iweala did not submit all the information regarding the said contract to the Reps. Why did she let it get to the point of being threatened by the reps?

The only Idiiiot here is you!! Where was National assembly in 2009 and 2010 when the contract was awarded?
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by saintohia: 12:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
This topic is (4.5trn fictitious contract) sufficient enough to start serious revolution but the irony is that Nigerians (expecially graduates) wld talk all day & nothing happens.

We shld stop deceiving ourselves by praying for God to solve the problem called Nigeria. God doesn't answer fools. What are the reps really doing for Nigeria that they're being paid the amount they presently earn? Are they more relevent in present Nigerian society than primary school teachers not to talk of University lecturers?,  ask urself, what these ppl earn?

Nothing would change in Nigeria in as much as corrupt syndicates run every sector of the particle termed Nigeria. If prayer solves all problem, God wld've asked Israelites to pray for their enemies to vacate their states for them to inhabite, that didn't happen & wld never happen. You really fight for some stuffs if u must have them.

Only revolution can liberate the particle termed Nigeria if it really exist.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by agitator: 12:37pm On Sep 14, 2011
romeo:

The only Idiiiot here is you!! Where was National assembly in 2009 and 2010 when the contract was awarded?

Thank you my brother. wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2011
romeo:

Are you suggesting that instead of doing the job of INVESTIGATING contracts, the NASS should now engage in deciding who the FG awards contracts to or not? 

It is the job of the ministries/fg to ensure that projects are awarded only to reliable contractors. However, NASS ONLY COMES IN when things go wrong etc., not before.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by manny4life(m): 1:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
I said it, these detractors are out to get her, should the subpoena her or Mr Aganga who had approved the contract during his tenure? Although, I should say she shouldn't ignore the request by NASS and show up, however upon the hearing, she should say she isn't aware of such contract and was acting on the orders of the president. I'll say let her stall their own efforts and let NASS invoke their right (i.e. if they can) get a written explanation from Mr. President.

I hope God gives this woman the strength and knowledge above all the empowerment to face these idiots in whatever forms or fashion they come in. They just want to stall her progress in her ministry with distraction. The want due process, due process means to summon former minster of finance, Attorney General, the CEO of the said company, carry out preliminary investigation, before contacting Mrs. Iweala. Due process means she will be the last to testify and you do so without threats; I'm sure there are parts of the constitution that protects her from orders of the president.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Sep 14, 2011
Aganga is NO LONGER Finance Minister and hence NO LONGER has access to information that only the Minister of Finance is privy to. If he needs to be brought in, supposedly for his direct involvement in anyway, he will be. But right now, the minister of Finance is the one needed in this phase of the investigation.

Na wa for Nigerians and their mouths like "detractors"! O ga !!! Ordinary procedure, wey been dey happen tay, since the inception of democracy ooo, for naija, we don find way to turn them into DETRACTORS-AT-WORK exercise. Na wa ooo!!!

Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by agitator: 1:20pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Aganga is NO LONGER Finance Minister and hence NO LONGER has access to information that only the Minister of Finance is privy to. If he needs to be brought in, supposedly for his direct involvement in anyway, he will be. But right now, the minister of Finance is the one needed in this phase of the investigation.

Na wa for Nigerians and their mouths like "detractors"! O ga !!! Ordinary procedure, wey been dey happen tay, since the inception of democracy ooo, for naija, we don find way to turn them into DETRACTORS-AT-WORK exercise. Na wa ooo!!!

What you mean is 'if i steal and you take over after my tenure. then you can be arrested for my actions.' undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2011
agitator:

What you mean is 'if i steal and you take over after my tenure. then you can be arrested for my actions.'  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

um . .  . . . . I am not sure where you think you are, but you would READ the article, you would get that it is not telling you she is being arrested IN CONNECTION with awarding/managing of the contract but for other reasons . . . Please at least take time to read, and ensure you understand what is going on, before commenting.

The Chairman of the committee, Mr. Leo Ogor, who expressed displeasure over the moves by officials of ministry to stall the probe, however, directed Okonjo-Iweala, to appear before the committee today or face arrest. Ogor said the probe must continue and that all relevant information must be presented to it not minding the internal action taken by the ministry. He said: “The National Assembly is a separate arm of government with its clear responsibility and resolution of the House.

“The Minister of Finance has refused to appear before this committee as far as we are concerned. An investigation by the ministry of finance will in no way deter this House from carrying out its own constitutional responsibility. “I am, therefore, resting on the Nigerian constitution sub-section 88 and 89, to summon the honourable minister that she must appear before this committee to clear decision on the audacity and process that led to this particular award of this contract.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by deenee: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Are you suggesting that instead of doing the job of INVESTIGATING contracts, the NASS should now engage in deciding who the FG awards contracts to or not?  

It is the job of the ministries/fg to ensure that projects are awarded only to reliable contractors. However, NASS ONLY COMES IN when things go wrong etc., not before.

@ Kobojunkie, yet, another point that does not 'hold water'. On the contrary, the national assembly is part of the whole approval process for the award of contracts. This is why they are elected into office to act as a 'check and balance'  amongst other functions and in addition, to "coming in when things go wrong". ( BTW, if they do their 'jobs' as exepected of them in the first place, the probability that 'things would go wrong' should be reduced to a bare  minimum undecided)

Also, you seem to have a 'personal vendatta' of some sort against Dr NOI? Why leave Segun Aganga out the whole fiasco? The supposed contract was awarded during his tenure so, in addition to requesting for the audience of the current finance minister, I am of the opinion that he too, has some questions to answer.

Yet again, I ask the same probing questions-why now?  

GOD bless Nigeria!
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
deenee:

@ Kobojunkie, yet, another point that does not 'hold water'. On the contrary, the national assembly is part of the whole approval process for the award of contracts. This is why they are elected into office to act as a 'check and balance'  amongst other functions and in addition, to "coming in when things go wrong". ( BTW, if they do their 'jobs' as exepected of them in the first place, the probability that 'things would go wrong' should be reduced to a bare  minimum undecided)

Also, you seem to have a 'personal vendatta' of some sort against Dr NOI? Why leave Segun Aganga out the whole fiasco? The supposed contract was awarded during his tenure so, in addition to requesting for the audience of the current finance minister, I am of the opinion that he too, has some questions to answer.

Yet again, I ask the same probing questions-why now?  

GOD bless Nigeria!

I cannot believe any sane individual would make such a claim.

NO, in any sane situation, even in Nigeria, contracts are NOT awarded through NASS. Ministries award contracts on a daily basis. Unless you are next going to LIE to us that the job of our LEGISLATORS includes reviewing of every possible bid for contracts, then again, I tell you, stop making bogus claims -- claims that have no bearing on reality, unless you have done your research on them.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by deenee: 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I cannot believe any sane individual would make such a claim.

NO, in any sane situation, even in Nigeria, contracts are NOT awarded through NASS. Ministries award contracts on a daily basis. Unless you are next going to LIE to us that the job of our LEGISLATORS includes reviewing of every possible bid for contracts, then again, I tell you, stop making bogus claims -- claims that have no bearing on reality, unless you have done your research on them.

'Jumping the gun' yet again. If you read my post, you will see that I have indicated that the national assembly is 'part of the whole approval process'. Of course , contracts are awarded by the respective ministries no doubt, but yet again, these contracts form part of the capital or recurrent expenditure included in the national budget which is constitutionally' reviewed by the national assembly before it is passed into law. Can you see the point that I am trying to pass across?

Surely, a contract of that amount in 'value and magnitude' could not have been approved or awarded without the knowlegde national assembly. Or, am I missing something here
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Sep 14, 2011
Don't try to play coy . . you know your statement there is wrong. Again, NASS Approves whole budgets. Ministries approve projects. Now at end of the year, NASS could review the projects, how money was spent etc. Even in special cases, NASS could question the awarding of a contract to a particular company(likely one with questionable practices) but this rarely happens, even in Nigeria. BUT NASS DOES NOT itself take on the role of deciding, in majorly all cases who the individual ministries can or cannot award contracts to. I know you are not daft and you know you are wrong in your statement above considering what we know so far of this issue . . . well, those who actually took time to ensure they understood the case at least.

Now please allow us to get back to the topic!
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by romeo(m): 2:20pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Things went wrong in 2009, Things went wrong again 2010 etc Where were they in past 2 years? Did they just woke up with Dora at the ministry? When Aganga was there they did not see the dubious contract for 2 good years. Shame on the NASS and their suppoters
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by deenee: 2:34pm On Sep 14, 2011
@kobojunkie Ok madam, but before your request is obliged, I would like you to ponder over this; from all indications and based on news 'made available to us via the media', the contract was not part of the budget, so in ideal circumstances and holding other parameters constant, let's assume that the national assembly was not aware of it (because it was not part the whole budget-this is just an assumption before you hang me  smiley.

Additionally, I know for sure that the ministries are mandated by law to make available to the three tiers of government (national assembly inclusive), monthly allocations for projects approved et al.. So I ask again, can the ministry of finance just award a contract of this 'amount and magnitude' without the knowledge of the national assembly? If yes then something is definitely wrong with the whole system and there should be a complete overhaul!

I am not taking sides with anybody, here but I will be very happy if we can 'critically analyse’ information made available to us before we make informed opinions. So, if it is discovered that 'due process' was not followed, should Dr NOI take the fall? After all, she was not at the helm of affairs in the ministry when the deal was consummated. Also, I doubt if any of the owner(s) mentioned herein, is in any way related to her. More so, I am sure that some legislators were involved in the whole process then (again this is my view though not backed up by any proof). We need to look the 'bigger picture'- Pressing issues such as sound economic policies that could precipitate the development of  our great nation have been swept under the carpet. Yet, we are all screaming 'murder'.

Permit me to project a scenario of the plausible outcomes for the 'orchestrated plan'

Scene 1- Best case scenario, Madam N spends the rest of her 'tenure' defending one trumped up charge or another or worst case she is forced to resign or kicked out (History is here to vindicate me on this)
Scene 2 -Pressing issues that require immediate attention and essential for the average Nigeria to effectively reap the benefits of our ‘nascent democracy’ is swept under the carpet  or better still tied with a special ‘padlock’ and the key thrown into the river
Scene 3- the same invisible people pulling the ‘strings’ and who feel that Nigeria is their national cake continue to have a swell time whilst employing the services of our corrupt leaders and elected official s who can be bought a premium . In fact at any premium!
Scene 4- You and I and other Nlders continue to engage in ‘endless debates’  along the lines of I am 'right and you are wrong'whilst the Nigeria of our dream disappears right before our very own eyes and becomes a figment of our imagination!
GOD bless Nigeria!
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 3:17pm On Sep 14, 2011
romeo:

Things went wrong in 2009, Things went wrong again 2010 etc Where were they in past 2 years? Did they just woke up with Dora at the ministry? When Aganga was there they did not see the dubious contract for 2 good years. Shame on the NASS and their suppoters

um . . . This probe started when Aganga was still the Minister of Finance, that he is NO LONGER is no valid reason not to continue with the probe. Or is that what you are suggesting should happen then?

https://research.zecco.com/research/quotes/stock-news/story.asp?key=100-195u1634-1
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by ncpat(m): 3:41pm On Sep 14, 2011
olodo full dis national assembly no be small, go straight to the point and call aganga who was minister of finance during the time of awarding of the contrat so that u get everything you needed to know and leave this woman to do her job. have you senate ask yourself why do you collect more pay than any other senate all over the world and yet nigeria police collect least pay all over the world and you expect them to perform magic.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by romeo(m): 4:04pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

um . . . This probe started when Aganga was still the Minister of Finance, that he is NO LONGER is no valid reason not to continue with the probe. Or is that what you are suggesting should happen then?

https://research.zecco.com/research/quotes/stock-news/story.asp?key=100-195u1634-1

Further explains their ineptitude! They were investigating what? A contract every single reader here knows is fraudlent. They formed ad-hoc committe when Aganga was minister to probe the fraud, but did not find anything until Dora came in. They can continue with the probe until the world ends, but we don't the NASS to be harrasing Dora over Aganga's corrupt practices. Let the lady do her work
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^ Stop fishing! The probe into this only commenced in July/August, and even though Aganga has been replaced, the probe continues.

The reason Iweala is on the hot seat is because she has stalled the investigation by not showing up with data necessary for it's continuation, data NASS is required to get through the Ministry. Let's cut the bull already and stop trying to make the investigation about the woman. She only happens to be in the way of the investigation, that is most likely the reason you and I are here discussing this. If she had cooperated, YOU would never have heard of this, or even bothered with it, as with the so many other probes going on at the same NASS.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by badesco(m): 4:10pm On Sep 14, 2011
The house have no such powers, so they leave her alone to do her job.
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by Gbawe: 4:26pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Stop fishing! The probe into this only commenced in July/August, and even though Aganga has been replaced, the probe continues.

The reason Iweala is on the hot seat is because she has stalled the investigation by not showing up with data necessary for it's continuation, data NASS is required to get through the Ministry. Let's cut the bull already and stop trying to make the investigation about the woman. She only happens to be in the way of the investigation, that is most likely the reason you and I are here discussing this. If she had cooperated, YOU would never have heard of this, or even bothered with it, as with the so many other probes going on at the same NASS.

I am liking the new you lately. You are less pessimistic and more discerning. You are totally correct 100%. What is going , simplistically, is that the FG , backed by Okonjo Iweala, has chosen to hastily cancel the concession under investigation by the lower House. We are told the Finance Ministry, through Okonjo Iweala, will conduct its own investigation. This is supposed to satisfy everyone and end the matter but the Reps are insisting that , even if Okonjo Iweala conducts her own investigations, they reserve the right to carry on with their probe without anyone , perhaps with something to hide (*hint, hint ; FG*) , telling them to hands off and "we will take it from here". It would be wonderful if the Reps can reveal the characters involved with this Company that won such a huge concession with total disregard for transparency and due process being the order of the day.

I have no doubt this goes up to the very top of the tree. This is why the FG wants their hasty cancellation of the concession to be the end of the matter. No way !! Nigerians, let us discuss this and make it a national issue . The thieves involved in this , however highly placed, should face justice !!! Nothing will work in Nigeria while these gross corrupt practices and rudimentary abuse of power is the norm !!!!
Re: Reps Threaten To Arrest Okonjo-Iweala Over N4.5trn Contract by manny4life(m): 4:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You see it's people like you that spread propaganda, if NASS wants data, all they need do is subpoena for data and records and she doesn't have to be there to present it to them, neither is she in the way of anyone. If she refused, that is why the office of the Attorney General is there; now unless if I missed where she said she won't submit record but rather she said she will NOT appear, then please keep your propaganda in check

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Udom Cancels Recruitment Of 5000 Teachers In Akwa Ibom / Army Yet To Access $1b Equipment Fund, Says Buratai / LASWA Commences Clearing Of Water Hyacinth On Lagos Inland Waterways

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.