Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Hibernate Or Turn Off? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hibernate Or Turn Off? (11636 Views)

How To Enable Hibernate Mode Feature On Windows 8/8.1 Shutdown Options / How To Turn Off Windows Automatic Update / How to Turn off Windows Automatic Update (2) (3) (4)

Hibernate Or Turn Off? by yimiton(f): 1:36pm On Aug 30, 2007
I always prefer to hibernate my system instead of turning it off because I always have one or two things I'd love to come back to. This means, i can go on for about a week without fully turning down my system. Please I'd like to know if this has or could have any negative effect on the system.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by bigrovar(m): 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2007
hibernation is good and quite healthy for ur hard drive, howevet some OPerating systems seem to have issues with hibernation e.g windows xp and vista but getting the latest updates for ur system would surely help reduce the probs,
but once in a while u still need to shut down and restart in other to refresh ur ram,
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by inze(m): 5:03pm On Aug 30, 2007
Hibernate is cool but remember it uses the hard-disk space to store the current status of your pc. The default hard-disk size allocated to hibernating is 256MB and leaving it for that much time might complicate issues.

I would advice you hibernate if you're still going to use the system the same day or not more than 24 hours ( even though say na computer the thing be, pity am small).

I stand to be corrected anyway.

I n z e
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Seun(m): 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2007
Leaving a 256mb hibernate file on your hard disk for a long time does not compromise your system in anyway.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dreadeyez(m): 10:33pm On Aug 30, 2007
It depend on what i am doing at that moment, i hibernate if i am doing something I would luv to continue on or turn off if i am done or going out wink
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by spikedcylinder: 11:06pm On Aug 30, 2007
I hibernate all the time! Its easier for me plus it helps me avoid all the "hassles" of booting!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by omoge25(f): 11:08pm On Aug 30, 2007
i hibernate my laptops but recently the compaq is overheating so i started shutting it off.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by spikedcylinder: 11:23pm On Aug 30, 2007
Overheating? Thats funny! I never heard of that.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by jediknight(m): 11:25pm On Aug 30, 2007
I also hibernate too, especially on my desktop that takes forever to boot these days, na wa for Xp atimes. Hibernating is so cool, when i switch it back on it continues exactly where i left off even the same song playing just like it was paused grin

I totally feel its the smartest thing to do as per saving time and all.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by segundash(m): 11:36pm On Aug 30, 2007
@ inze:

point of correction, the file size reserved for hibernation depends on the amount of physical memory (RAM) your computer has. in your case, your computer has 256mb ram. My computer has 1GB RAM and d reserved hard disk space for hibernation is 1,023 mb.

I'll want to point out that a lot of people confuse hibernation with standby. With standby, the system is still on, but most of the hardwares are shutdown to conserve power. But in hibernation, everything in memory (RAM) is saved to disk (hence the hibernation file size = RAM size) and the system shuts down completely.

So which hibernation, even if you leave the system for a year and come back, it will still work fine. The only problem I've encountered with hibernation is hardware compliance, not all hardware works well with hibernation. The system will shutdown properly but to resume is the problem. In the 90's PCChips motherboard have problem with hibernation but their current boards supports it.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Bigjay(m): 1:11am On Aug 31, 2007
Hibernation saves us stress of shutting down a system.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by PTBNaija(f): 1:21am On Aug 31, 2007
omoge25:

i hibernate my laptops but recently the compaq is overheating so i started shutting it off.

Have to go ditto on that. Used to hibernate my laptop for at least a week at a time. Now I start shutting it off at least once every two days, if not everyday. Trying to save my computer!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by tundewoods(m): 1:29am On Aug 31, 2007
Hibernation is certainly a blessing to me in particular,With my ever busy schedule as a web developer,I prefer to hibernate my laptop when i have serious work that require me having multiple windows for applications and having to quickly dash out or close at the office to continue my work at home.

The more the RAM on your system,the merrier you will be.I plan to get a 1 G ram so that i can be the merriest man alive. grin
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by ruemu(m): 1:40am On Aug 31, 2007
Bigjay:

Hibernation saves us stress of shutting down a system.

U have a virus problem , not an hibernating prob.

I use Mozilla browser instead of hibernating it a life saver

@ poster HIB. is good but try to shutdown weekly to refresh ur MEM.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by ruemu(m): 1:42am On Aug 31, 2007
sorry wanted to quote the poster with, HIB 2 overheating prob.

This forum seems complicated though, So many untidy functions,

Seun can do better.

peace
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by omoge25(f): 4:58am On Aug 31, 2007
spikedcylinder:

Overheating? Thats funny! I never heard of that.

Yeah the Compaq, it really gets hot, sitting it on my lap is a no no because it will burn me, and i've had it for less than a year.

PTBNaija:

Have to go ditto on that. Used to hibernate my laptop for at least a week at a time. Now I start shutting it off at least once every two days, if not everyday. Trying to save my computer!

yeah i used to leave them on for days, i never shut them down, i do what you do i turn it off every other day when not using it, it still get hot but atleast its not running constantly.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Seun(m): 5:09am On Aug 31, 2007
What part of hibernating your laptop cannot cause it to over-heat don't you ladies understand?
Hibernating your computer is not different from shutting it down as far as hardware is concerned.

Someone has already tried to explain the difference between hibernate and standby but you won't listen.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by omoge25(f): 5:39am On Aug 31, 2007
Seun:

What part of hibernating your laptop cannot cause it to over-heat don't you ladies understand?
Hibernating your computer is not different from shutting it down as far as hardware is concerned.

Someone has already tried to explain the difference between hibernate and standby but you won't listen.

I said in my last post it still gets hot, so i know hibernating/ turning it off is not fixing the overheating of the laptop! I NEVER said hibernating caused it to over heat, I said i'm one of those people that never shuts of my laptop i leave it on for weeks, hell months at a time, even HP/Compaq tol d me to put it off when not in use.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with the "you won't listen and dont you ladies understand" comment, its not neccessary at all.

And by the way shutting down using Hibernate isn't the same as shutting the computer off, in the Hibernate mode the computer is still on, and some of your hard drive space will be occuppied by the hibernating process.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by MP007(m): 6:28am On Aug 31, 2007
hibernate of course, na boring person dey shut down system
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by WarfyBoy(m): 8:21am On Aug 31, 2007
I love Nairaland because of these kind of post that educates its users, i realy do love this post because this is sumtin i do not kno about, i have not even heard of the word "Hibernate" seriously this is my first time of hearing or seeing that word, i thank you guys for the post and contribution, its gives me more expplanation on what Hybernation means

una do well river ohhhh
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by yimiton(f): 9:31am On Aug 31, 2007
Thanks to every contributor to this tread. This means it's ok to hibernate but I'll have to totally shut down now and again. You've set my mind at rest.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ralvy(m): 9:40am On Aug 31, 2007
Hibernate ot Turn off

I hardly do any of de two, although Hibernating is a better option,
My Computer stays on 4 like 2weeks plus before I give it a break,
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by candylips(m): 9:40am On Aug 31, 2007
i hardly even shut down my laptop or computer so hibernating is alien to me
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ralvy(m): 9:48am On Aug 31, 2007
I see sm ppl are sayin hibernation causes their systems to overheat.
Hibernating poses NO risk at all to ur system, it just saves the current desktop state and turns off ur system.
Note that if u do not have free space on ur hard-disk, hibernation becomes unavailabe,

I experienced that problem when my Laptop's 200GB HDD has less that 4MB, I could not hibernate throghout that period. Hibernating is Save and poses no risk, Y dnt u see the dictionary meaning of Hibernation, That'll help!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by spikedcylinder: 9:55am On Aug 31, 2007
candylips:

i hardly even shut down my laptop or computer so hibernating is alien to me

How about when you are asleep? You leave it on the entire time?
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by habumaks(m): 10:06am On Aug 31, 2007
Hellooo NOBODY has mentioned the position of power. Wil my battery position remain the same? Will the RAM, Disc or whateva it is called be using my battery to keep the system in hybernating position? NEPA hates me grin grin
Thank.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by oybv101: 10:09am On Aug 31, 2007
note that if your ram is above 1gb, you will need to download a critical update from Ms.therewise, you will get this message intermittently;
'error hibernating.insufficient resources to complete the api'

so if you've closed your laptop, and assumed it's hiberrnating, it will still be running!(imagine carrying a working laptop in an enclosed bag.)
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by pampam123(m): 10:12am On Aug 31, 2007
helo plz did u know the code used to connect family and friends on celtel network.the code I mean is dat if 1 want to check for balance u will type *123#.what is dat os FAF.plz mail me back
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Elgaxton(m): 10:31am On Aug 31, 2007
@poster

where u at presently, cos if u hibernate in naija for one week continuosly non-stop u dey waste am for time!

e go still shut down by nepa that's for PC not laptop sha!

I like hibernating but not when plent applications are running o!

Ur Ram wil just misbehave!

unless its 1GB ram
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ralvy(m): 10:56am On Aug 31, 2007
@Elgaxton;

Na u know whr ur computer knowledge come from o . . .
That's very weird, I even hibernate with my 192MB ram Desktop!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by 2old4that(m): 11:19am On Aug 31, 2007
Mine turns off itself automatically if its left untouch for some hours.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by hobgoblin1(m): 12:10pm On Aug 31, 2007
Hibernate is all i ever do, except i added a new hardware/install a new software that requires restarting.

I just that the idea of scheduling my laptop to hibernate immediately i close the lid - very cool. smiley

It save a lot of additional and unnecessary clicks.

Any Difference Between Notebook, Netbook, Ultrabook, Probook And Laptop? / Etisalat And 3g Network / Problem With Mtn Usb Modem (huawei E156g)