Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,007 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Hibernate Or Turn Off? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hibernate Or Turn Off? (11639 Views)

How To Enable Hibernate Mode Feature On Windows 8/8.1 Shutdown Options / How To Turn Off Windows Automatic Update / How to Turn off Windows Automatic Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by funfavour(f): 7:14pm On Sep 06, 2007
OMO MY LAPPY SEF NO DEY HIBERNATE EXCEPT D BATT IS FLAT, BUT HOW DO U HIBERNATE A DELL INSPIRON grin LAPPY
ANSWERS PLS
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dakmanzero(m): 7:49pm On Sep 06, 2007
I use a dell inspiron e1705 and i hibernate by pressing Fn and F2 together.

or click

start
shut down
hibernate
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by edmondo(m): 7:52am On Sep 07, 2007
i dont hibernate my laptop but weneva am working on it it wuld get font
until i shut down b4 i wuld b able 2 use it.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by honeric01(m): 8:01am On Sep 07, 2007
Right now, i am about putting my dell inspiron 1150 into stand by, i love it soo , grin
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by krazzee(f): 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2007
hey guys, je vous remercie!
All you aho have contributed to this most important and nouvelle subject. I was tinking at some point that hibernation was responsible for the sudden slow down of my pentiun m, but now i know say na virus dey do am. once again, je vous remercie.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by honeric01(m): 6:30am On Sep 08, 2007
yea yea, virus eating up your hardware, buy and use a condom for your hardware before the virus surpasses your capacity grin grin grin
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by DoubleN(m): 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2007
Me, i'm a hibernation geek. It's so bad that my Lappy goes on for weeks without rebooting but hearing all this, i think i will need to start some adjusting
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by shylle(m): 9:43am On Sep 10, 2007
People who know anything don't turn their PCs off at all.

People who know anything in Naija hibernate their laptops.

People who sabi NEPA well well for Naija just shutdown or else NEPA go help dem

Really, it's just a matter of what works for you. Hibernation works fine for me. I'm a developer and I always have a lot of work doing. Leaving d office for d house doesn't mean I have to shut down, i just hibernate.

Of course, after a week or two, the RAM gets bothered, so I restart, Pretty simple.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by yemaren: 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2007
Yeh actually my win xp does not have hibernation power option, therefore guyz in the house what can i do to rescue the situation
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dakmanzero(m): 11:44am On Sep 14, 2007
Is ya system a laptop? if it is, then you gat major problems, bro.

if its a desktop, you need to enable ACPI in your BIOS and reinstall. If you dont understand what i just said, dont bother and just call an IT guy!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by honeric01(m): 8:14am On Sep 20, 2007
na so, but safety first, me no dey play with my puter, else food moni don finish bi that
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Bamiprof(m): 11:11am On Sep 20, 2007
Hibernation is good as it is alsom bad, often when i hibernate i don't get to see the information i left anymore.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ralvy(m): 2:16pm On Sep 21, 2007
yemaren:

Yeh actually my win xp does not have hibernation power option, therefore guys in the house what can i do to rescue the situation

dakmanzero:

[s]Is ya system a laptop? if it is, then you gat major problems, bro.

if its a desktop, you need to enable ACPI in your BIOS and reinstall. If you don't understand what i just said, don't bother and just call an IT guy![/s]

@Yemaren, I experienced a similar problem when working on someone's PC.
A simple registry change will bring you the Hibernate option, Let me out source it from ma PC, I'd get bk tu u
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by tunscolo(m): 7:27pm On Sep 22, 2007
[b]You guys are all funny. I think we have a set of rules here in this house. Before you reply any post, make sure that you have read all the replies, so that you won't just keep repeat what has been said earlier.
About this hibernation issue, hibernation saves all what you are doing (tasks on the computer) and stores them on the hard drive and the system goes off just as if it was shut down. It has nothing to do with memory nor power. The next time you restart the computer, you will see "Resuming ". All the tasks will then load to the memory again and there you go. The good thing about it is that there is no hastle of going through the normal booting procedures. That's it.
Feel free to ask again, but remember, ask what is reasonable. Thank you.
[/b]
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dakmanzero(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2007
@Ralvy

I hope you really understand what you are saying.

Enabling hibernate via registry hacks on a non acpi-enabled system is asking for trouble. It is disabled for a reason.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ralvy(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2007
Nt heard of that, explain the problems one may encounter if that is done . .
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dakmanzero(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2007
You'll lose stability on resume because the interrupt timers and other stuff that doesnt explicitly depend on the state of RAM wont be properly handled.

ACPI compliance means that the hardware including clock syncing circuitry and interrupt timers can be put into a state which allows them to resume independently of elapsed time.

For reasons best known to MS, the HAL for ACPI is different for the one without ACPI (dont ask me why, I dont know), and SETUP doesnt tell you which one it is installing though there is a way to force ACPI HAL (search ms knowledge base for the method, it escapes my mind at the mo)

of course installing acpi hal on non-compliant hardware is asking for a BSOD. It typically doesnt happen tho.

NOW when ACPI is not installed, hibernation is turned off by default. YOU have a registry hack that is turning it back on (which I confess i am not aware of), despite the fact that the hardware is not put into a state that supports it. The end result is that your client probably has his machine lock up on him a lot more than it used to, without knowing why.

Ideally a laptop should automatically install an acpi hal, and therefore automatically enable hibernation. If it decides not to, then it had a reason, and you'll need an IT guy on site (who knows what the hell he's doing ) to find out WHY.

Rather than just forcing the option back on.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by temisafety: 5:55am On Oct 19, 2008
I had to reinstall XP, but lost hibernate from then. ACPI is there. Please what can I do to recover it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Difference Between Notebook, Netbook, Ultrabook, Probook And Laptop? / Etisalat And 3g Network / Problem With Mtn Usb Modem (huawei E156g)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.