Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Hibernate Or Turn Off? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Hibernate Or Turn Off? (11644 Views)

How To Enable Hibernate Mode Feature On Windows 8/8.1 Shutdown Options / How To Turn Off Windows Automatic Update / How to Turn off Windows Automatic Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by abohrandy: 12:30pm On Aug 31, 2007
i am all about hibernation 24/7
what can u do to get ur system hibernating coz ma elder bro's compaq is misyarning (ie no option for hibernating!!)
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by hobgoblin1(m): 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
@bhorandy
Its either the m/board doesnt support hibernation or you havent checked the option in control panel\power options\hibernate.

Finally, it might be that the system drivers haven't been completely installed.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2007
I seldom hibernate!!

I prefer to always shut down my system when not in usel
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by teeroy(m): 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2007
i hibernate my laptop all the time. hardly ever shut down.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by eduaustin(m): 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2007
Hibernating a system just saves that particular window u were working in a temporay memory file location and shut down the system. when next you power on the system the system loads those file from the teporary location.

Another advantage of hibernaton is that it helps you to prolong your freeware unregistred software products.

But a colloeague of mine told me that hibernation sometimes affects his system and gives him a system ''run time error''.

But as for me i ususally Hibernate my Laptop since am always working with it.

As a new commer to this website, i want to say that its been fun and nice getting to know this site, Seun keep up the good wrk and kudos to all NIRALANDERS for your contributions.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by AbdulWasiu(m): 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2007
Talking about Hibernation, I just started using it couple of days back and it's really been wonderful.
Saves me a lot of time cos I usually shut down my Lappie whenever I'm done working on it.

But I do encounter problems sometime while restarting, my system always finds it difficult to restart until
I accept deleting Restoration programs and re-boot normally. What could be responsible for this?

Also, my Norton Antivirus has expired and I'm almost always online, I know this is not healthy for my system.
To upgrade automatically, I was requested to pay certain amount in dollars. Is there any short cut to this or I just have
to pay up?

Gurus in the house,please educate me.

Thx y'all.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Seun(m): 7:14pm On Aug 31, 2007
If you change the add or remove any hardware, you might not be able to resume from hibernation.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 31, 2007
I tend to completely shut down my P's and laptop.

I've no issues with re-booting next time I switch on, besides, my systems don't take that long to come "live".
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Jalal(m): 11:05am On Sep 01, 2007
Hibernation is cool, sumone once told me that if u have a virus/worm like Brontok on the system and when u hibernate it, Brontok takes advantage of that and multiplies throughout ur pc. How true is that, and any relation b/w other viruses ravaging ur system and hibernation
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Alaby(m): 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2007
my guy i have laptop for sell configuration(Toshiba p3,1ghz,128ram,20gb"very clean") 40k and Nokia 6600 with 32ram "very clean. anybody who is interested can call me on 08026602610 or mail me TRIPPLEAELEKTRA@YAHOO.COM, COMPUTERANGEL3@IWON.COM.

Thanks guy.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by diyobdw(f): 2:23pm On Sep 01, 2007
Hibernate ALmost always. expect i need to reboot for some reason guess am prefer starting from where i stopped just make life easier.
Got a shortcut to hibernation click and am off !
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by whatnext: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2007
Of course, I hibernate. I only turn off or reboot when my PC freezes.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by coolgio(m): 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2007
I always hibernate my laptop, bin doing so for months, havent had any problems wit my system so far, I only shut down when my laptop has downloaded updates and needs to install them.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by biomic(f): 1:17am On Sep 02, 2007
i rarely shutdown or hibernate, just leave it like dat
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by A40(m): 4:14am On Sep 02, 2007
It all depends on whats going on but i mostly shut it down
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by hayprof(m): 11:35pm On Sep 02, 2007
This talk about Hibernation and Shutdown sef,

When some pple can't even get Options for Hibernation/Stand-by on their Pc. Like moi
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by jayvin01: 1:53am On Sep 03, 2007
@abhorandy

if u tried doing it as described by "joblin" and still doesnt work, then u need a better power option software, (might sound crazy but this is what i know)

Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by netotse(m): 2:05am On Sep 03, 2007
i hibernate the nonsense out of my computers cry, but i set mine up to gimme the shutdown options(where u have shut down standby etc.) when i press the power button, so if i want to hibernate i simply press the button the press H, if i want to shut down i prss the button then press U
does anyone kno if theres a command line switch for hibernate
reason is if there is u can creae a 'hibernate' icon i have a restart one
simply right click on a blank spaceon ur desktop choose new>shortcut
then type 'shutdown -r -t 00' and voila u can restart in two mouse clicks
*if u want to kno more go to the cmd line MSDOS and type shutdown or shutdown /?*
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by 9ja4eva: 5:23pm On Sep 03, 2007
Compared with StandBy, Hibernating takes a longer time to run because when your PC is turned into this mode, the system is completely turned off. It also takes a long time to resume since your computer will need to go through the boot-up process again.

Notice that when you choose StandBy for your computer, none of your work have been saved to your hard disk yet. They are currently being kept in RAM (Random Access Memory). Hence, if because of some reasons, your PC is unexpectedly turned off, your unsaved work will be lost. However, when it comes to Hibernating, before switching to this mode, your data will be automatically saved into the hard drive. You need not worry about losing the unsaved data anymore. Moreover, with Hibernating, whatever you leave on your desktop before switching to the mode will still be the same when you resume the system.

Another advantage of Hibernating is that you can keep your PC at this mode for several days without any bad effects towards the system.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by sakin4life(m): 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2007
wassup,

hibernating is good. one thing u must understand is that your system resources (processor, RAM and hard drive) will still be held on to by whatever it is u're doing. My advice is u turn it off atleast once in 3 days to refresh system resources.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 03, 2007
hibernate is good if you really need to keep what you are doing active on desktop. but nothing beats shutdown.y? 1. if you play games alot and you hibernate after game play, when next you boot and play a game you might notice a slight reduction in speed. 2. programs that you started and no longer use might still be running in the background.hibernation just keeps this programs while shutdown refreshes your system to needed programs only. if you cant see hibernate on your 'turn off computer' try window-u-h. or hold shift after clicking on the 'turn off computer' link. standby should change to hibernate. if neither standby or hibernate present. control panel\power option\hibernate and check for hibernate. if this does not work may God help you.
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by nazzyon(m): 1:29am On Sep 04, 2007
Although my system is one amongst the fastest to booth but I can't wait to see any of those flashes either Hibernation or the other.

Restarting occurs only after any knew installation. Aside from that Nah!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Ladyflamez(f): 2:15am On Sep 04, 2007
I'M JST WATCHIN EVERY1 WRITE I DON'T EVEN KNO WOT HIBERNATE MEANZ undecided undecided, I ALWAYZ RESTART MY COMPUTER ABOUT 3TIMES A DAY BECAUSE WEN I GO OUT I SHUT IT DOWN, AND I'VE NEVER SEEN AN OPTION OF HIBERNATE ON MA PC, I'VE GOT WINDOWS XP, CAN SUM1 PLZ TELL ME WOT HIBERNATE MEANZ??TNX[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by netotse(m): 2:24am On Sep 04, 2007
@ladyflamez,
its really rude to type in all caps,
have u tried holding the shift key down after u click on shutdown on the start menu and u see that box thingy with standby,restart and shutdown?
if u have just try reading the previous posts and if it doesn't help ask again smiley
(tenk God for modify o i made a silly mistake in this post, )
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by nazzyon(m): 2:45am On Sep 04, 2007
Don't mind my mistakes. I am in a hurry and can't proof read (Thanks and Read on)

When you Hibernate your system tend to save all your  works without closing them even after shutting down and your last activity are stored and when you are back to your system the memory will  be restored and you are good to go. No matter how long you left the PC unused  you will get them back promptly.

But your system need to be support Advanced Configuration and Power Interface ACPI will give you access to the configure the settings for your power with your Operating Software. If you did not see it them you will see the Advanced Power Management.

To get to where you active

You have to go to

Control panel Power Option and then select Hibernate - click the Enable Hibernate and apply.

Should incase you did not see it then it means that your operating software does not your bios settings for that system. 

Instead you will see strories about some memory required or something.

To resolve it check for a motherboard that will work with it "Shi Kenan"

Don't feel bad. I personally don't Shut down nore put my machine to Hibernation.

I don't digg that @ all. I prefer always on and no screen saver @ all.

THIS SHOULD HELP

Nazzy OUT
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by lasangel(f): 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2007
I dnt even hibernate myne, i jst leave it on, buh i think it's nt gud 2 leave it turnd on or hibernate. d only effect i knw is dat it culd make ur pc slower, cuz it aint refreshed. altho, i wuld advice 2 turn it off, beta 4 ur pc nd 4 d environment (esp if its plugged in),
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by honeric01(m): 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2007
i love my stand by, hibernate lai lai, standby, with just pressing enter, it comes up to life except when i install and i need to restart, cool

but i hate one thing about my laptop brand, their battery sucks, dell battery sucks, it goes off like shit, under 1 hour, it goes off into standby,
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by Octupus(f): 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2007
In my experience,hibernation is completely ok with no harmful effects at all.I have had to hibernate anytime I am thru,for weeks on end.However,occasionally the system will be unable to perform certain functions or will be unusually slow.Re-booting the system at such times will usually solve the problem.It is only at such occasions that I have to shut down completely.

When in Hibernation mode,the system behaves as if it is completely shut down in terms of zero power consumption and there is no heating up at all.That's my personal experience.I have done this for years with my laptop and it still functions beautifully!!
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by larriederm(m): 11:32am On Sep 05, 2007
its cool ! keep it up !
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by dakmanzero(m): 6:51pm On Sep 05, 2007
some quick answers:

1) Hibernating consumes zero battery power. All battery concerns can be put to rest.

2) Some hardware has problems with hibernating. To be safe, disconnect all usb devices and switch off wifi/bluetooth before hibernating your computer.

3) Even though the computer turns off completely when you hibernate, there are software issues that still require a reboot to solve. Rebooting a windows-based computer now and then is still a healthy thing to do. Not as much of a neccesity with linux, but still beneficial.

4) Hibernation does not aid the spread of viruses in any way. If anything it delays the spread of viruses that depend on reboots- the boot process of a system is considered a security deadzone, so there are many opportunities for dormant nasties on your hdd to spring to life. Not so for hibernation.

5) In theory, saving RAM should enable you to resume exactly where you left off when you hibernate. In practice, any operation that depends on timer interrupts or any form of asynchronous hardware access will need special treatment, or workarounds. The resume will only be as good as the worst workaround. Good news is that modern computers have few to no issues.

consensus:

Hibernate your laptops happily, and reboot them when they start to slow down or act funny. Unplug usb drives and other such hardware before hibernation, if you can. Please don't hibernate with music playing,
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by scribe(m): 9:12am On Sep 06, 2007
shocked shocked shocked Me, None of the above

I don't need to because I am always rebooting. cry cry cry Wait you don't belief me. It is the truth. undecided

Without my consent, big brother NEPA a.ka. NEP Plc , PHCN is always unplugging the power. Hey, before you accuse me of not using UPS, I have about 4 that their batteries have been run down. cry cry cry

@ All, thanks for your educative contribution. When I get a laptop I will surely make use of some of the nice tips. Cheers grin
Re: Hibernate Or Turn Off? by bongolo(m): 11:13am On Sep 06, 2007
have yall tried hybernating,then dismantling the system i.e RAM, HARDDISK, CPU, POWER UNIT, CMOS BATTERY does it come back on where u left it when u couple it back? or does it release smoke and then explode?!!  grin grin tongue lipsrsealed
yall should try it!!
if you run heavy apps on your system and yu use heavy os i.e vista, watch the way you hybernate.
yu could hybernate ur system forever!!!  grin tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Difference Between Notebook, Netbook, Ultrabook, Probook And Laptop? / Etisalat And 3g Network / Problem With Mtn Usb Modem (huawei E156g)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.