Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,214 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Diary Of A Sheep Farmer - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Diary Of A Sheep Farmer (9586 Views)

World’s Most Expensive Sheep Auctions At £367,500 / Practical Goat/Sheep Farming In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
You can deworm during pregnancy it just depend on the type of dewormer you’re using. You can give the sheep Albendazole oral solution and there won’t be any adverse effect irrespective of the duration of the pregnancy. What you shouldn’t use is ivermectin injection and levamisole injection too.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by IamAsiri: 9:27pm On Sep 21, 2023
Jub101:

Good evening everyone. There are two ways to look at the issue. First we aren’t sure if she is pregnant or not. If the sheep is in its 4th month then you should start seeing signs of pregnancy like enlarge stomach, the breast getting bigger.

The person who asked this question asked like he/she is certain that the sheep is pregnant, though you are right that lots of people find it quite difficult to identify a pregnant sheep.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by blessedjohn: 10:45pm On Sep 24, 2023
Thank you all for all your inputs regarding my question on deworming the pregnant ewe. The signs are clear that the ewe is pregnant. I eventually settled for albendazole and no sign of complication.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2023
Been a while here. A lot has been going on and I have been really busy surfing between my Okro,maize and sheep farm. So the first and last picture are obviously good news and all twins are even male for that matter. grin

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:07pm On Oct 02, 2023
The second picture of the sheep with a swollen head is what I want us all to learn the most from. So I got to the farm and was told the sheep has been acting sluggish so i immediately informed them to isolate her her head wasn’t at-all swollen then.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:13pm On Oct 02, 2023
The cause of the swollen head is a worm called lungworm[/b]and the name of the condition is called [b]bottle jaw. You can read more on it. Treatment is by giving fast contact dewormer like levamisole and isolating the animal. I also gave iron dextran has the lower eyelid is already pale.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:14pm On Oct 02, 2023
I eventually lost the sheep as she wasn’t eating again by the second day

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:15pm On Oct 02, 2023
Please and please if you’re doing freerange or semi intensive system don’t t play with deworming regime. Very vital to the success of your farm

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by blessedjohn: 10:31am On Oct 03, 2023
Thank you so much for sharing with us your pains and gains. What deworming regime will you recommend for intensive free ranging system?
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by safarifarms(m): 11:15am On Oct 11, 2023
Jub101:

Please is there a difference between salt lick and mineral lick?

Before I started goat farming, I was familiar with the name salt lick as a necessity for goats, but recently I've been seeing people advertise mineral lick and at high prices like 5k upwards depending on the weight. When I went to a vet shop in my city to ask for mineral lick, what they gave me was salt lick and it was just N1500.

Now I'm wondering if there's difference. Can you help clarify?
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:37pm On Oct 21, 2023
safarifarms:

Please is there a difference between salt lick and mineral lick?

Before I started goat farming, I was familiar with the name salt lick as a necessity for goats, but recently I've been seeing people advertise mineral lick and at high prices like 5k upwards depending on the weight. When I went to a vet shop in my city to ask for mineral lick, what they gave me was salt lick and it was just N1500.

Now I'm wondering if there's difference. Can you help clarify?

The main difference is the composition. Salt lick contains only sodium chloride while mineral lick contains all the major minerals needed by an animal to function properly hence while it’s more expensive and effective.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by safarifarms(m): 12:02am On Oct 22, 2023
I thought as much.
Thanks
Jub101:

The main difference is the composition. Salt lick contains only sodium chloride while mineral lick contains all the major minerals needed by an animal to function properly hence while it’s more expensive and effective.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:02pm On Nov 04, 2023
It’s been a while here. Well the update is we are doing fine, making progress because this is a slow and steady system.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Hadsty23(m): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2023
Jub101:
You can deworm during pregnancy it just depend on the type of dewormer you’re using. You can give the sheep Albendazole oral solution and there won’t be any adverse effect irrespective of the duration of the pregnancy. What you shouldn’t use is ivermectin injection and levamisole injection too.

Can Albendazole from chemist be administer for the goat or it must be from the vet store
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:27pm On Dec 13, 2023
Hadsty23:

Can Albendazole from chemist be administer for the goat or it must be from the vet store
The one for animals are different ,so get that from a vet store

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Orwasen: 7:37am On Dec 14, 2023
BEST AGRO SEEDLINGS
Call or Whatsapp Best Agro +2347069670428
*Palm tress
*Orange
*Mango
*Ogbono
*Guava
*Plantains suckers
*Cashew
*Pawpaw
*Kola nut
*Bitter kola
*Coco
*Coconut
*Moringa
*Pears
*Avocado etc

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:13pm On Feb 14
Hello everyone!!! I believe this message met you well, Nigeria is in good crisis and those that took the right steps before now are hoping for the best. I never thought I was wealthy until I took some rams to the popular Kara market in my axis (iwo) and I cashed out big time with many more still on the farm.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:17pm On Feb 14
Animal husbandry is sustainable and can create wealth irrespective of which you do. I chose sheep for my own personal reasons, my environment and opportunities around my farm. Sincerely I haven’t regretted it a bit. The journey is stressful and not for the faint hearted but it keeps my dream of one day getting out of the rat race alive. For a 28 year old man I’m doing fine grin

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:47pm On Feb 14
Some new born lambs between Jan and now

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 2:14pm On Mar 24
New born between Jan and march

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 2:18pm On Mar 24
Having the right knowledge with the right team goes a long way in sheep farming and animal husbandry in general. I have been fortunate to be on this journey and I will preserve no matter the adversity. Thank you all for being part of the journey, we move cool

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Kehfie(f): 2:32pm On Mar 24
All the best

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by safarifarms(m): 11:50am On Mar 30
Jub101:
Animal husbandry is sustainable and can create wealth irrespective of which you do. I chose sheep for my own personal reasons, my environment and opportunities around my farm. Sincerely I haven’t regretted it a bit. The journey is stressful and not for the faint hearted but it keeps my dream of one day getting out of the rat race alive. For a 28 year old man I’m doing fine grin
What do you think about including ducks as part of your livestock? I think the environment would be suitable for them too.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by safarifarms(m): 12:21pm On Mar 30
Jub101:
New born between Jan and march
Mehn, this is money. You are really doing well. Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:34am On Apr 17
safarifarms:

What do you think about including ducks as part of your livestock? I think the environment would be suitable for them too.
Thank you for your input sir, I bought a few last year but not on commercial scale
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by safarifarms(m): 9:37am On Apr 17
Jub101:

Thank you for your input sir, I bought a few last year but not on commercial scale
Good. They'll multiply gradually and provide cheap meat for family consumption.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rabbit Farming In Nigeria And How To Start{ Pure Breed Rabbits Also Available } / Michael Okpara Univ. Of Agriculture, Umudike, Recruitment: What's the latest? / Special IITA Variety Of Cassava Stems Available For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.