Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

That Kind Thing. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / That Kind Thing. (759 Views)

What Kind Of App Does Nigeria Lack At The Moment? / Are You In Need Of A Well Design Website Of Any Kind / What Kind Of Technologies Will I Need To Build A Fintech Application? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Kind Thing. by niel63(m): 3:44pm On Mar 04, 2023
The pressure is getting wesser grin

It's hightime we started thinking about our own products/ideas.

Who get idea wey we fit develop ooo... working for others is seeming quite stressful.

Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:21pm On Mar 04, 2023
I am curious. If you had the cash, would you invest it in Nigeria with tinubu as president.
Re: That Kind Thing. by Gerrard59(m): 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2023
niel63:

Who get idea wey we fit develop ooo... working for others is seeming quite stressful.

Well, not all remote jobs require interested applicants to reside in the US. Did you read the requirements before applying or were they not stated there? Or are you implying Nigerians in Nigeria who work remotely for foreign companies are residing in Benin Republic?

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by niel63(m): 4:33pm On Mar 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Well, not all remote jobs require interested applicants to reside in the US. Did you read the requirements before applying or were they not stated there? Or are you implying Nigerians in Nigeria who work remotely for foreign companies are residing in Benin Republic?

No go spoil your better talk with efforts of trolling me... bro. grin

If you noticed, the message screen is a slack UI.
Also, you see where him tell me say him wan check something... make I tell am my authorization? If that was stated, shey u think say I go apply. I'm trying to understand your point exactly. If na TastyFriedPussy talk this kind thing I go understand. wink

Even at that, I still applied to a few other roles in the U.S and E.U
The point I'm trying to make is, the pressure is getting wesser bro. You get? Not like no one is getting jobs.
Re: That Kind Thing. by niel63(m): 4:36pm On Mar 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I am curious. If you had the cash, would you invest it in Nigeria with tinubu as president.

Tensa grin

Omo, that one na another angle... but then, it's better to try and fail than not trying atall. The pressure too much baba.
Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:46pm On Mar 04, 2023
niel63:

Tensa grin

Omo, that one na another angle... but then, it's better to try and fail than not trying atall. The pressure too much baba.

So if you had 20k usd you will try and fail with that instead of running away from Nigeria with the same 20k usd. I wont advise anyone to invest in Nigeria currently. I was thinking foreigners don't even follow our elections only for my boss at work to ask me how we could elect a drug baron in our country. If you think getting a remote job was hard, wait until next year.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Kind Thing. by Qinglong(m): 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I was thinking foreigners don't even follow our elections only for my boss at work to ask me how we could elect a drug baron in our country.
Seriously? Abeg, make Obi win for court. This country is looking finished.

2 Likes

Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:59pm On Mar 04, 2023
Qinglong:

Seriously? Abeg, make Obi win for court. This country is looking finished.

It's not just him even previous colleagues I used to work with at sea shepherd. I was shocked to be honest. My friends from school from other African countries called me and were mocking me.
Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:08pm On Mar 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Bros these stories are what they tell Africans. Someone living in Japan or Germany that applies to these jobs will get a completely different response.

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by niel63(m): 6:58pm On Mar 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

So if you had 20k usd you will try and fail with that instead of running away from Nigeria with the same 20k usd. I wont advise anyone to invest in Nigeria currently. I was thinking foreigners don't even follow our elections only for my boss at work to ask me how we could elect a drug baron in our country. If you think getting a remote job was hard, wait until next year.

No be small thing bro! It will get harder. Now you get what I meant by "the pressure is getting wesser"

Ah... wahala dey ooo! God Abeg! grin
Re: That Kind Thing. by Gerrard59(m): 7:02pm On Mar 04, 2023
niel63:

No go spoil your better talk with efforts of trolling me... bro. grin

If you noticed, the message screen is a slack UI.
Also, you see where him tell me say him wan check something... make I tell am my authorization? If that was stated, shey u think say I go apply. I'm trying to understand your point exactly. If na TastyFriedPussy talk this kind thing I go understand. wink

Even at that, I still applied to a few other roles in the U.S and E.U
The point I'm trying to make is, the pressure is getting wesser bro. You get? Not like no one is getting jobs.

My apologies. I just found it very odd since it is the requirement is location neutral.

2 Likes

Re: That Kind Thing. by niel63(m): 7:07pm On Mar 04, 2023
I told someone before baba was declared.
E GET WHO GO ENTER THAT SEAT, EVEN TOGO (Cotonou) go begin pursue us comot from their country.
E no reach 24hrs Naija and other African countries begin to trend. And he is yet to take the seat.

In the long run... our already damaged name will be so useless. Not because of anything, but a bad reputation stinks bro! People watch us even when we pretend like it's no man's business.

There was a time Nigerians won't even consider UAE as a travel option. But that narrative has changed over time... now, na them dey ban us.

Guess what sha! WE WILL SURVIVE.

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:18pm On Mar 04, 2023
niel63:
I told someone before baba was declared.
E GET WHO GO ENTER THAT SEAT, EVEN TOGO (Cotonou) go begin pursue us comot from their country.
E no reach 24hrs Naija and other African countries begin to trend. And he is yet to take the seat.

In the long run... our already damaged name will be so useless. Not because of anything, but a bad reputation stinks bro! People watch us even when we pretend like it's no man's business.

There was a time Nigerians won't even consider UAE as a travel option. But that narrative has changed over time... now, na them dey ban us.

Guess what sha! WE WILL SURVIVE.

Find a way to leave if you can. Don't be a victim of bad government.
Re: That Kind Thing. by qtguru(m): 9:50pm On Mar 04, 2023
Getting a job from Nigeria is hard, the timezone is the first thing, then also Nigeria has that issue. Just leave to cheap EU country and apply from there. Croatia allows you to come in for a year,from there, it should be easier to port.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Kind Thing. by LikeAking: 11:30pm On Mar 04, 2023
niel63:

Nigerians will never surport dia own...

We are just wicked to our selves...

Secondly we are not looking into innovate ideas.. It's a a black man thing.

Even thou u get innovate ideas how you one take promote ya biz..

U need off the ground money to start a business..

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by LikeAking: 11:35pm On Mar 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Baba abeg no talk like dis... What if forign investors read this ya comment.. Dem go abandon the country.
Re: That Kind Thing. by LikeAking: 11:39pm On Mar 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I will...

The only problem I have with Nigeria is hyper inflation..

Wetin Elon Musk don come to invest and him they make billions sharply..

Nigerian get buying power, don't be discouraged by the narrative.

There more than ten million Nigerians who are leaving large in this country.... Imagine say all of Dem buy starlink.

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:53am On Mar 05, 2023
LikeAking:

Baba abeg no talk like dis... What if forign investors read this ya comment.. Dem go abandon the country.

Most foreign investors research the country before they put money in. They don't invest emotionally.

2 Likes

Re: That Kind Thing. by airsaylongcome: 9:11am On Mar 05, 2023
qtguru:
Getting a job from Nigeria is hard, the timezone is the first thing, then also Nigeria has that issue. Just leave to cheap EU country and apply from there. Croatia allows you to come in for a year,from there, it should be easier to port.

I don't think timezone has any impact. The difference in Nigeria Timezone and European Timezones is not more than 2 hours. And yet American companies hire from Europe. Na reputational and infrastructural issues be our challenge here

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:16am On Mar 05, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I don't think timezone has any impact. The difference in Nigeria Timezone and European Timezones is not more than 2 hours. And yet American companies hire from Europe. Na reputational and infrastructural issues be our challenge here

They don't even have problems working with vietnamese and japanese that have like a day timezone difference sef.

1 Like

Re: That Kind Thing. by airsaylongcome: 12:27pm On Mar 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

They don't even have problems working with vietnamese and japanese that have like a day timezone difference sef.

My Philippino colleague starts work at midnight their time. And Americans hire from there like crazy
Re: That Kind Thing. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:33pm On Mar 05, 2023
airsaylongcome:

My Philippino colleague starts work at midnight their time. And Americans hire from there like crazy

Like. It's so annoying. When it comes to a Nigerian or any other African, they will find stories to tell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Kind Thing. by airsaylongcome: 5:42pm On Mar 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Like. It's so annoying. When it comes to a Nigerian or any other African, they will find stories to tell

One thing I've learned though(at least with American companies) is that while they may be initially apprehensive about Nigerians, they often have no problems hiring us once they have met us and are convinced about our competence. I'm the first African/Nigerian working for my current employers. Two weeks ago, they hired another Nigerian who lives in Turkey. And apart from him being very competent, they (HR and COO) said their major deciding factor was that I had been very hardworking and willing to learn and that the new guy showed a lot of traits like I showed when I applied. I was surprised cos me I thought I was barely hanging in there with all the confusion I had. They were especially impressed with the new guy because he reached out to the COO on reddit, responding to a question the guy had asked and suggesting some solutions to the connectivity problems we were facing (we provide bandwidth and telephony). They implemented one of his solutions and boom, a problem we had been managing for years.

So yes it can be difficult breaking in, but once you break in (and understand how Americans think and work), it will always be worth it

3 Likes

Re: That Kind Thing. by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 06, 2023
Applying for jobs is a waste of time

Once you were a pro in your stack ,omo na tech companies go day rush

Around last year's may I resigned from a hardware company based in San Diego because of their unethical tech practices . After I resigned , I set LinkedIn status to open to work.

Comman see presents tech companies were sending me to work for them ( I accepted none of them and stuck to my start-up)

Just package your portfolio well and use Twitter or mastadon ( if you're autistic) to up your game

All this is coming from system architect still in school earning money from XMR mining farm

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Query To Expire Old Records / Pls I Need A Lucrative Programming Project(idea) / Linux Cron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.