Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,309 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips (11051 Views)

Petrol: Marketers Fault Subsidy Removal Process As Queues Return / Petrol Price Jumps To ₦‎350/ltr As Queues Return / Marketers Ask Nigerians To Stop Panic Buying As Fuel Queues Return (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Enyimbamercedes: 7:39am On Mar 06, 2023
In 2015...body language made fuel available

Electricity supply became unusually constant despite being in the "dry season"

There was an upbeat mood and speculation on the composition of the dream team cabinet

8 years later...foul smell pervades the country

No body language at all

CBN stands by its monetary policy not even shaken by the win

Fuel queues reappear

Every where is depressed ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 06, 2023
ivandragon:

Will removing fuel subsidy eliminate corrupt practices in the supply chain?

Will removing subsidy fix the bad roads that contribute to the cost of fuel?

Will removing subsidy address the high insecurity in the country that makes the trucking business dangerous & issues of pipeline vandalism?

Will removing subsidy stop the numerous security outfits that feed fat on the truckers who then have to add to the cost of the product?

Will removing subsidy repair that dilapidated loading facilities that contribute to truckers spending weeks waiting to load products?

Will removing subsidy fix the issue of crossborder smuggling of the product when the security agencies fail to do their jobs?

Your hammering on subsidy removal as the solution is flawed & simply attempts to absolve the government of responsibility of providing a conducive environment for businesses & the people.

Subsidy should go, but the government has to do its part to ensure the impact of its removal is not devastating to the people.

Read the articles.

All medications initially taste bitter.

No time for argument again. If Peter Obi, Atiku and Tinubu support it, then there may be some sense in it.

Or we keep taking loans to pay for the subsidy induced deficit...which affects the poor.

Read the articles, maybe you would learn something, maybe not. I don't care either way.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by alhajiabdulbuha: 7:50am On Mar 06, 2023
A prophet Dr. Yusuf saw a Nigeria in great sorrow and destruction masterminded by Buhari plus Top ISIS and Afghanistan sponsors. Which he said is the mandate given to Tinubu and SHETIMA and El-rufia. The prophet warned that Tinubu presidential ambition should be avoided and aborted at all cost that it will to destruction of Nigeria and Nigerians. He gave the warning the this is the plan of Buhari from the unset but has been difficult considering the Christian political stronghold in Aso rock and within the Political environment. He restated even if Tinubu is to be president, that their plan is to kill Tinubu with poison and Shetima will be sweared in As president to perform full scale Jihad in Nigeria sponsoring high scale Terrorist activities in the whole world with the resources of the country While its citizens suffer in Abject poverty and neglect. Please spread the prophesy fast to save Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 06, 2023
seguno2:

Fuel subsidy was removed in 2016 with deregulation.
Stop telling lies.

Sorry mate, but I am not an APC member. If you think I am, then you are mistaken.

I have supported and followed subsidy removal far longer than APC existence. I was supporting it when Buhari was marching against it.

And yes, why should I support APC, when it was obvious they were lying about subsidy removal?

Price controls=subsidy prescence.

Now read the articles i posted.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 06, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I read it. See their solution below
You think this is possible in Nigeria??
Someone paying N100 for Keke to suddenly be paying N600 and you are telling him you are punishing the rich and benefiting him!

On the other hand, subsidies induce huge deficits in the budget...as postulated in 1 and 2 . Which mean huge loans.....which make the poor man suffer more too.

Read those articles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by seguno2: 7:53am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:
Sorry mate, but I am not an APC member. If you think I am, then you are mistaken.

I have supported and followed subsidy removal far longer than APC existence. I was supporting it when Buhari was marching against it.

And yes, why should I support APC, when it was obvious they were lying about subsidy removal?

Price controls=subsidy prescence.

Now read the articles i posted.

Tinubu and Osinbajo said that fuel subsidy was removed after APC deregulated oil prices seven years ago.

Are you calling them liars, and people who have no integrity
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by dalass(f): 7:53am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

AKA Gasoline, AKA Petrol

DPK : Dual purpose kerosene...or just plain kerosene

AGO : Automotive Gas oil...or just plain diesel

JET A1: Aviation fuel

Instead of the guy to go and search for PMS meaning, he was forming brainiac ...
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 06, 2023
seguno2:

Tinubu and Osinbajo said that fuel subsidy was removed after APC deregulated oil prices seven years ago.

Are you calling them liars, and people who have no integrity

Yes, I am, and that's why I am annoyed you think I am an APC member...because you are completely missing my point!
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 8:02am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

On the other hand, subsidies induce huge deficits in the budget...as postulated in 1 and 2 . Which mean huge loans.....which make the poor man suffer more too.

Read those articles.

In Nigeria any gain from subsidy removal will be looted, siphoned off, or mismanaged. Non of it will trickle down to the common man. Subsidy is the only thing that guarantees he gets something
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by atiku4President(m): 8:02am On Mar 06, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Must they always write Premium Motor Spirit??
Nigerian press and pretentiousness.
And they must all write it like mumu!
Just like when there is a rape they must put "randy" somewhere!
Are you Obidient? Before I type wetin I wan type
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Wisejohnson47(m): 8:03am On Mar 06, 2023
fareed69:

Go to Biafra
sneeze, bless you
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 8:10am On Mar 06, 2023
dalass:

Instead of the guy to go and search for PMS meaning, he was forming brainiac ...

My friend everybody knows what PMS means. That's the point. Nobody calls fuel premium motor spirit! Read other countries' press - it is petrol, gas (as in gasoline), fuel and such. In Nigeria they must all always write "premium motor spirit also known as petrol"!
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 8:16am On Mar 06, 2023
alhajiabdulbuha:
A prophet Dr. Yusuf saw a Nigeria in great sorrow and destruction masterminded by Buhari plus Top ISIS and Afghanistan sponsors. Which he said is the mandate given to Tinubu and SHETIMA and El-rufia. The prophet warned that Tinubu presidential ambition should be avoided and aborted at all cost that it will to destruction of Nigeria and Nigerians. He gave the warning the this is the plan of Buhari from the unset but has been difficult considering the Christian political stronghold in Aso rock and within the Political environment. He restated even if Tinubu is to be president, that their plan is to kill Tinubu with poison and Shetima will be sweared in As president to perform full scale Jihad in Nigeria sponsoring high scale Terrorist activities in the whole world with the resources of the country While its citizens suffer in Abject poverty and neglect. Please spread the prophesy fast to save Nigeria.

Ever heard of false prophets?
Still if I were Tinubu I'd be wary - every Boko Haram knows they're an old man's heartbeat away from their sponsor taking over the country!
They can get rid of Tinubu ANYTIME they wish
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by blowjohn(m): 8:40am On Mar 06, 2023
Nigerians don't like Tinubu and shetimma. That's why they want the elections cancelled.
If atiku had won, there wudnt be this much uproar.
Now tell me which

I find it funny that Nigerians can make noise everywhere about the unfairness of the elections but have never made this much noise about poor electricity, poorly equipped hospitals and universities, dstv subscribers charges, ASUU strike, and even the fuel issue.

Is that not funny? Are they saying that all credible elections produce good governments?

Am for Peter Obi , but time and time again, I find myself thinking we the citizens don't get our priorities right.

Just imagine fuel issue since last year, and we go about as if its nothing. Diesel went frm 240 to 900 naira.

But we are vocal against inec as if the world will end if it doesn't go our way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by seguno2: 9:02am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:
Yes, I am, and that's why I am annoyed you think I am an APC member...because you are completely missing my point!

Thanks so much for your honesty.

I never called you APC member, but you may have read WRONGLY in between the lines.

BTW, I am for subsidy removal and deregulation, in the framework of a private sector driven economy, based on the success of the telecom sector deregulation 23 years ago, and even the Eleme Petrochemicals Company.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by ivandragon: 9:19am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Read the articles.

All medications initially taste bitter.

No time for argument again. If Peter Obi, Atiku and Tinubu support it, then there may be some sense in it.

Or we keep taking loans to pay for the subsidy induced deficit...which affects the poor.

Read the articles, maybe you would learn something, maybe not. I don't care either way.

Buhari also supported it & where has that led us to?

The government refuses to release facts on fuel consumption & even its own members have questioned the figures brandished by the corrupt NNPC.

Those write-ups do not address the critical questions & address facts.

But you don't care, so that's OK.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 06, 2023
ivandragon:

Buhari also supported it & where has that led us to?

The government refuses to release facts on fuel consumption & even its own members have questioned the figures brandished by the corrupt NNPC.

Those write-ups do not address the critical questions & address facts.

But you don't care, so that's OK.

Well, Buhari supported it, but never removed it.

Plus, GEJ Obasanjo and company supported it, so what's your point?

(Seriously, this is not about politics, we have been having this argument for over 4 decades in this country)>

Unless y'all pay for subsidy from taxes, as they do in sane countries, and not from oil revenue...maintaining subsidy means large budget deficits, which means more loans and debts....which we would all suffer from.

Better face reality.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Bimpe29: 9:30am On Mar 06, 2023
One tragedy too many.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by ivandragon: 9:52am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:

Well, Buhari supported it, but never removed it.

Plus, GEJ Obasanjo and company supported it, so what's your point?

(Seriously, this is not about politics, we have been having this argument for over 4 decades in this country)>

Unless y'all pay for subsidy from taxes, as they do in sane countries, and not from oil revenue...maintaining subsidy means large budget deficits, which means more loans and debts....which we would all suffer from.

Better face reality.

It's certainly not about politics, but effective administration & Management of resources.

Those of you who chant this subsidy removal mantra like a religion fail to consider it within context.

Removing subsidy is not an end in itself & is a microsom of bigger issues.

As a matter of fact, subsidy is not a bad thing & can actually be sustainable. So the issue is not just removing it, but first addressing the issues that make it seem unsustainable.

The FG must first address the issues that make fuel subsidy unsustainable, unattractive & corrupt. Without doing these, we would end up having an unchecked rise in fuel prices & still grapple with other related issues. That would be like a quadruple jeopardy.

You talk about sane countries, do you think they don't have subsidies? Most countries introduce subsidies in critical areas like health, education, agriculture & even the gas you so much want removed. But the fact is that they have systems in place that ensure these subsidies do not become corrupt & ineffective.

My point is simple, fix the inefficiencies, deficiencies & corruption in the system that makes fuel subsidy unsustainable before you fully deregulate.

You may chose a reality that doesn't solve the problem, but some of us want a reality that is effective.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by Bluntemperor: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2023
nairalee:
if nigeria was a movie even the viewers would say this is too unrealistic for even a make believe movie

The truth is that:
- NNPC is a drain on Nigeria State,since it's creation!they have nothing tangible to offer! They are Corrupt!
_ NEPA/DISCOS is dead and those in it knows that they can never bring Industrialisation to Nigeria!
They have no ideas on how to get Light for 24/7 but are highly Corrupt, even Pre-paid Metres are being stolen!
-Agriculture- is dead since Dr Adesina left to AFDB, nothing is working in that department. Ask your CBN, what is the % of the performance of Anchors Borrowers Money and the Returns on the Money?
It's monumental failures and Corruption!
So many things in downward and Non- performance.
Very Shameful indeed.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by MrDoGood(m): 10:49am On Mar 06, 2023
This conoil opposite towers is a must for queue.
Fuel or no fuel grin
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by nairalee(m): 11:50am On Mar 06, 2023
Kobonaire4:
The honest reason for the queues is subsidy in place.

Because of the price controls inherent in subsidy, profits cannot be made for things like refineries, pipes, even new trucks and new boats, and so on. Matters are made worse by the fact that we don't have enough ports, and then subsidy cannot pay for transport costs.

The solution is to remove subsidy, and the profits will pay for everything. Yes, prices will increase, and yes, my fuel cost would eat half my salary if not more, but at the end, we get better refineries and crucially a better supply system...without needing to spend taxpayer money anymore.

P.S : For anyone willing to come and quote me to weep and cry and complain, read the below articles. It will answer all your questions on subsidies and why they should be removed.

1. Reflections on the fuel subsidy regime

2. Fuel subsidies in Nigeria , bad for economy, but lifeblood of politicians

3.Ending fuel subsidies in Nigeria can supercharge supply chains. (BERRY IMPORTANT...WILL BE ON THE TEST).

PS.2 : READ THE ARTICLES ABOVE. I have helpfully posted the links.

I would have supported complete fuel subsidy removal but Nigeria is not a sane country. After removal of this subsidy a microscopic few greedy politicians will have their pockets grow bigger and we the ordinary masses will not still reap the dividend.
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 1:53pm On Mar 06, 2023
grin
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by seguno2: 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2023
PoliteActivist:

In Nigeria any gain from subsidy removal will be looted, siphoned off, or mismanaged. Non of it will trickle down to the common man. Subsidy is the only thing that guarantees he gets something

So why is the common man doing everything to japa to places that don’t subsidise petrol price?

Why did the common man not japa enmasse before the 1980s, when subsidy was not an issue
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 2:14pm On Mar 06, 2023
seguno2:

So why is the common man doing everything to japa to places that don’t subsidise petrol price?

Why did the common man not japa enmasse before the 1980s, when subsidy was not an issue

The common man I mean can't japa. Far from it. He lives hand to mouth and can hardly afford 3 meals a day
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by dalass(f): 12:57pm On Mar 07, 2023
PoliteActivist:

My friend everybody knows what PMS means. That's the point. Nobody calls fuel premium motor spirit! Read other countries' press - it is petrol, gas (as in gasoline), fuel and such. In Nigeria they must all always write "premium motor spirit also known as petrol"!

That's a fallacy and I ain't your friend grin
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 1:42pm On Mar 07, 2023
dalass:

That's a fallacy and I ain't your friend grin

But you agree that everybody knows what petrol or gasoline (gas) is, and that nobody calls it "premium motor spirit"! So why is there a law in Nigerian press that whenever they report on petrol prices they MUST write "premium motor spirit also known as petrol"! cheesy
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by dalass(f): 1:45pm On Mar 07, 2023
PoliteActivist:

But you agree that everybody knows what petrol or gasoline (gas) is, and that nobody calls it "premium motor spirit"! So why is there a law in Nigerian press that whenever they report on petrol prices they MUST write "premium motor spirit also known as petrol"! cheesy

'Everybody knows.....' is still a fallacious statement. So those who write understand this...

Most don't know that pms or gasoline is petrol in this country grin
Re: Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips by PoliteActivist: 2:21pm On Mar 07, 2023
dalass:

'Everybody knows.....' is still a fallacious statement. So those who write understand this...

Most don't know that pms or gasoline is petrol in this country grin

That's the point! You use the popular term that everybody knows and uses. Otherwise it's being pretentious!
Just as you don't write "periplanater americana also called cockroach" everytime you report on cockroaches!
See example below

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Under Investigation Over Financial Crimes, Smear Campaigns / Jonathan Seeks Stiffer Penalties For Corrupt Officials / IJEBUS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.