Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey (293 Views)

What If (A Clean, Teenage Romance Story by Kayode Odusanya) / The Mental Warfare (depression; How It Works?) Get My Self-help Manual On Amazon / The MENTAL Health Of A Nigerian Medical Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by OlamideOwoeye(f): 8:16pm On Mar 06, 2023
FADE IN:

EXT. LAGOS - DAY

The sun beats down on the bustling city of Lagos. In the midst of the chaos, we find a group of teenagers walking down the street, chatting and laughing.

CUT TO:

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

We see the same group of teenagers in a classroom. They're all dressed in their school uniforms, looking bored and restless.

TEEN 1: "Ugh, I can't wait for school to be over. This is so boring."

TEEN 2: "Tell me about it. I wish we could just fast-forward to the weekend."

TEEN 3: "Yeah, but what are we going to do on the weekend? We always just hang out at the mall or something."

TEEN 4: "I don't know. Maybe we could go to the beach or something?"

The bell rings, signaling the end of the school day.

CUT TO:

EXT. SCHOOL GROUNDS - DAY

The group of teenagers walk out of the school gates and start heading towards the mall.

TEEN 1: "Hey, have you guys heard about that new social media app? Apparently, it's supposed to be really popular."

TEEN 2: "Yeah, I've heard of it. But I don't really see the point. We already have Instagram and Snapchat and all that."

TEEN 3: "I don't know. I kind of want to check it out. It's called 'Connect', right?"

TEEN 4: "Yeah, that's the one."

CUT TO:

INT. MALL - DAY

The group of teenagers enter the mall and start browsing the shops. They pass by a poster advertising a mental health awareness event.

TEEN 1: "Hey, look at this. There's going to be a mental health event here next week."

TEEN 2: "That's cool. But why do we need a mental health event? Isn't mental health just for crazy people?"

TEEN 3: "No, that's not true. Mental health is important for everyone. It's about taking care of your mind as well as your body."

TEEN 4: "Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But what does it have to do with us? We're just teenagers."

CUT TO:

INT. TEENAGE BEDROOM - NIGHT

We see one of the teenagers, JUMOKE, lying in bed, scrolling through her phone. She sees a post on Connect about a girl who is struggling with depression.

JUMOKE: "Wow, I had no idea so many people were going through this kind of thing."

She starts to feel a sense of unease, thinking about her own struggles with anxiety and self-doubt.

CUT TO:

INT. SCHOOL COUNSELOR'S OFFICE - DAY

Jumoke sits in the school counselor's office, looking nervous.

COUNSELOR: "So, Jumoke, what brings you here today?"

JUMOKE: "Well, I've been feeling really anxious lately. Like, all the time. And I don't know what to do about it."

COUNSELOR: "I see. That's a very common problem, especially among teenagers. Have you talked to anyone about it before?"

JUMOKE: "Not really. I mean, I've mentioned it to my friends, but they don't really get it."

COUNSELOR: "Well, that's why I'm here. I'm here to listen and help you figure out what you need to do to feel better."

CUT TO:

INT. MALL - DAY

The mental health

1 Like

Re: Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by OlamideOwoeye(f): 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2023
event is in full swing, with various booths set up and people milling about.

CUT TO:

INT. BOOTH - DAY

Jumoke is volunteering at a booth for a mental health organization. She's handing out brochures and talking to people about the importance of taking care of their mental health.

JUMOKE: "It's not just about being happy all the time. It's about learning how to cope with the ups and downs of life, and getting the support you need when you need it."

A group of teenagers walks by and stops at the booth.

TEEN 1: "What's all this about?"

JUMOKE: "We're promoting mental health awareness. It's really important to take care of your mental health, especially as a teenager."

TEEN 2: "Why especially as a teenager?"

JUMOKE: "Because adolescence is a time of major changes and transitions, both physically and mentally. It's a time when a lot of mental health issues can arise, like anxiety and depression."

TEEN 3: "Wow, I never thought about it like that."

JUMOKE: "Yeah, it's really important to talk about this stuff and get the support you need. There's no shame in asking for help."

The teenagers nod, looking thoughtful, before moving on to the next booth.

CUT TO:

INT. CAFETERIA - DAY

Jumoke is sitting with her friends at lunch.

TEEN 1: "So, how was volunteering at the mental health event?"

JUMOKE: "It was really eye-opening. I never realized how many people are struggling with mental health issues, and how important it is to talk about it."

TEEN 2: "Yeah, it's crazy how much pressure there is on teenagers these days. Like, we're expected to have everything figured out already."

TEEN 3: "But the thing is, nobody has everything figured out. We're all just trying to do our best."

JUMOKE: "Exactly. And that's why it's so important to take care of your mental health, and to reach out for help when you need it."

CUT TO:

INT. JUMOKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Jumoke is lying in bed, feeling more at peace than she has in a long time. She realizes that talking to the counselor and volunteering at the mental health event has made a real difference in how she feels.

JUMOKE (to herself): "I may not have everything figured out, but I know that I'm not alone. And that's enough for now."

FADE TO BLACK

1 Like

Re: Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by OlamideOwoeye(f): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2023
FADE IN:

EXT. JUMOKE'S HOUSE - DAY

Jumoke's dad is standing outside, trying to fix the generator.

DAD: "Why is it that every time I try to fix this thing, it just gets worse?"

Jumoke walks out of the house, laughing.

JUMOKE: "Dad, you're not a mechanic. Maybe we should call one?"

DAD: "No, no. I can handle this. Just give me a hammer and some duct tape."

Jumoke rolls her eyes, but smiles.

JUMOKE: "Alright, well, I'm heading to school. Wish me luck on my math test."

DAD: "Luck? You don't need luck. You're a genius!"

JUMOKE: (laughing) "I wish! But thanks, Dad. I'll see you later."

CUT TO:

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

Jumoke is sitting in class, looking nervous. Her friend Titi leans over.

TITI: "Hey, don't worry about this stupid test. I heard Mr. Johnson's grading on a curve."

JUMOKE: "Yeah, but what if I'm still the lowest grade? What if I'm just not good at math?"

TITI: "Stop that negative thinking! You're amazing at math. You just need to believe in yourself."

JUMOKE: (smiling) "Thanks, Titi. You always know how to make me feel better."

CUT TO:

INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY

Jumoke is walking down the hallway, lost in thought. Suddenly, she bumps into a boy named Chinedu, dropping her books.

JUMOKE: "Oh, sorry about that!"

CHINEDU: "No problem. Hey, aren't you in my English class?"

JUMOKE: "Yeah, I am. Jumoke."

CHINEDU: "Chinedu. Nice to meet you."

Jumoke picks up her books, feeling a little flustered.

JUMOKE: "Uh, nice to meet you too."

As Chinedu walks away, Jumoke can't help but feel a little excited.

CUT TO:

INT. CAFETERIA - DAY

Jumoke is sitting with her friends at lunch.

TEEN 1: "Did you guys hear about that party this weekend?"

TITI: "What party?"

TEEN 1: "The one at Chinedu's house! Apparently it's going to be epic."

JUMOKE: (blushing) "Uh, I don't know. I don't really do parties."

TEEN 2: "Come on, Jumoke! It'll be fun. You can dance and flirt with Chinedu."

JUMOKE: (laughing) "Flirt with Chinedu? What are you talking about?"

TEEN 3: "Oh, come on. You know you like him."

JUMOKE: (smiling) "Alright, maybe I'll go. But only if you guys come with me."

The friends all cheer, excited for the party.

FADE TO BLACK

1 Like

Re: Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by OlamideOwoeye(f): 8:31pm On Mar 06, 2023
FADE IN:

INT. JUMOKE'S ROOM - NIGHT

Jumoke is getting ready for the party, trying on different

JUMOKE: "Ugh, I can't decide what to wear."

TITI: "How about that cute dress you wore to Nneka's birthday party?"

JUMOKE: "Hmm, that could work. What do you think of this lipstick?"

TITI: "Ooh, I like it. Very bold."

Jumoke finishes getting ready, and she and her friends head to the party.

CUT TO:

INT. CHINEDU'S HOUSE - NIGHT

The party is in full swing, with music blasting and teenagers dancing.

Jumoke and her friends arrive and start mingling.

TITI: "Hey, there's Chinedu. Go talk to him!"

JUMOKE: (nervously) "Uh, okay."

Jumoke walks over to Chinedu, trying to act cool.

JUMOKE: "Hey, what's up?"

CHINEDU: "Hey! Glad you made it."

JUMOKE: "Yeah, me too. This is a really great party."

CHINEDU: "Thanks. Hey, do you want to dance?"

JUMOKE: (blushing) "Sure."

As they start dancing, Jumoke can feel her heart racing. She's never felt this way before.

CUT TO:

INT. CHINEDU'S LIVING ROOM - LATER

Jumoke and Chinedu are sitting on the couch, talking and laughing.

CHINEDU: "So, what do you want to do after high school?"

JUMOKE: "I don't know. Maybe go to university, study something in the sciences."

CHINEDU: "Cool. I want to be a musician."

JUMOKE: "Really? That's awesome. What kind of music do you play?"

CHINEDU: "I like all kinds, but mostly hip-hop and R&B."

JUMOKE: "Nice. Do you have any songs you've written?"

CHINEDU: "Yeah, I do. Maybe I'll play one for you sometime."

JUMOKE: "I'd like that."

As they continue talking, Jumoke feels a sense of comfort and ease with Chinedu that she's never felt with anyone else.

CUT TO:

INT. JUMOKE'S ROOM - NIGHT

Jumoke is lying in bed, replaying the events of the night in her head.

She can't believe how much fun she had, and how much she likes Chinedu.

But at the same time, she's feeling a little overwhelmed.

JUMOKE: "What if he doesn't like me back? What if I'm not good enough for him?"

Titi walks in, sensing Jumoke's anxiety.

TITI: "Hey, don't worry about all that. You had a great time tonight, and you and Chinedu really hit it off."

JUMOKE: "Yeah, but what if he just sees me as a friend? What if I ruin everything?"

TITI: "Stop with the negative thinking. You're amazing, and he'd be lucky to have you. Just take it one step at a time."

Jumoke nods, feeling a little more reassured.

CUT TO:

INT. SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY

Jumoke sees Chinedu walking towards her, and her heart starts racing.

CHINEDU: "Hey, Jumoke! How's it going?"

JUMOKE: "Good, good. How about you?"

1 Like

Re: Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by drippingink3: 11:38pm On Mar 06, 2023
[center]Following.[/center]

1 Like

Re: Teenage Wahala: The Mental Health Journey by OlamideOwoeye(f): 2:49am On Mar 07, 2023
drippingink3:
[center]Following.[/center]

[center] we move/update soon [/center]

(1) (Reply)

How To Showcase Your Achievements On Your CV / The Present Generation Of Nigerian Authors / Heart Of A Sister (Chapter 1 & 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.