Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG (2561 Views)

Army: AI Report On Clash With Shi’ites Hasty, Partial, Subjective / ADAMAWA GUBER: Ribadu Fails To Register In PDP, Beats A Hasty Retreat. / GEJ - Nigerians Think I Am Slow Because I Avoid Taking Hasty Decisions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by OAM4J: 11:07pm On Sep 14, 2011
[size=13pt]We didn’t take hasty decision on Libya -FG[/size]

Written by Christian Okeke, Abuja

THE Federal Government, on Tuesday, said there was nothing hasty about its decision to recognise the National Transitional Council (NTC) in Libya and noted that before taking the position on the Libyan crisis, Nigeria was patient and  hoped that the superior logic of dialogue would prevail.

This revelation came just as government denied reports that Nigerians were killed in the war-torn country, insisting that no Nigerian was harassed or killed in Libya.

Making the disclosure in Abuja during a media briefing to mark President Goodluck Jonathan’s 100 days in office, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru, noted that Nigerians were being protected in Libya as a result of the recognition accorded the NTC which he described as, “the group we felt was gaining ground.”

He maintained that if Nigeria had not taken the stand, there would have been more bloodshed and the victims would have blamed the country.

The minister stated that the Federal Government put a phone call across to the NTC that no harm should come to any Nigerian or any black in Libya.

He said, “Nigeria took the principled decision to recognise the NTC as the legitimate representative of the Libyan people on August 23, 2011. Our over-riding interest in the situation in Libya are threefold. One, to achieve an early end to the conflict, thereby preventing further loss of innocent lives, regardless of who the culprits are. Two, to support processes which would allow the Libyan people decide the future of their country. This is consistent with our new foreign policy focus to support the consolidation of democracy in Africa.

“In taking the position we took on the Libyan crisis, Nigeria was patient, always hoping that the superior logic of dialogue would prevail. For instance, our support for the AU Road Map was premised on the expectation that the protagonists would see the wisdom in embracing dialogue rather that a recourse to military solution.

“The AU Road Map  failed because of lack of faith on the part of the belligerents. In the circumstance, Nigeria had to act to reaffirm its leadership and also to continue to demonstrate our country’s commitment to the consolidation of democracy in Africa, a value which is central to our country’s new foreign policy focus,” he added.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/28183-we-didnt-take-hasty-decision-on-libya-fg
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by babaowo: 11:37pm On Sep 14, 2011
make FG don't worry cos very soon boko haram,mend,bakkasi,opc,and biafra will join hand with NATO and overthrow FG,and d rest of africa will support them too.but why ghadafi too greedy like that Lol
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by ASANIGBO20(m): 11:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
[b]NA

THEM

SABI

NO PEACE IN NAIJA EVEN
[/b]

Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by ShipIt(m): 12:10am On Sep 15, 2011
Why can't these clowns just admit they made a mistake
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by kabukabu50(m): 12:29am On Sep 15, 2011
OAM4J:

[size=13pt]We didn’t take hasty decision on Libya -FG[/size]

Written by Christian Okeke, Abuja

THE Federal Government, on Tuesday, said there was nothing hasty about its decision to recognise the National Transitional Council (NTC) in Libya and noted that before taking the position on the Libyan crisis, Nigeria was patient and  hoped that the superior logic of dialogue would prevail.

This revelation came just as government denied reports that Nigerians were killed in the war-torn country, insisting that no Nigerian was harassed or killed in Libya.

Making the disclosure in Abuja during a media briefing to mark President Goodluck Jonathan’s 100 days in office, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru, noted that Nigerians were being protected in Libya as a result of the recognition accorded the NTC which he described as, “the group we felt was gaining ground.”

He maintained that if Nigeria had not taken the stand, there would have been more bloodshed and the victims would have blamed the country.

The minister stated that the Federal Government put a phone call across to the NTC that no harm should come to any Nigerian or any black in Libya.

He said, “Nigeria took the principled decision to recognise the NTC as the legitimate representative of the Libyan people on August 23, 2011. Our over-riding interest in the situation in Libya are threefold. One, to achieve an early end to the conflict, thereby preventing further loss of innocent lives, regardless of who the culprits are. Two, to support processes which would allow the Libyan people decide the future of their country. This is consistent with our new foreign policy focus to support the consolidation of democracy in Africa.

“In taking the position we took on the Libyan crisis, Nigeria was patient, always hoping that the superior logic of dialogue would prevail. For instance, our support for the AU Road Map was premised on the expectation that the protagonists would see the wisdom in embracing dialogue rather that a recourse to military solution.

“The AU Road Map  failed because of lack of faith on the part of the belligerents. In the circumstance, Nigeria had to act to reaffirm its leadership and also to continue to demonstrate our country’s commitment to the consolidation of democracy in Africa, a value which is central to our country’s new foreign policy focus,” he added.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/28183-we-didnt-take-hasty-decision-on-libya-fg

AU road map was a joke,do you seriously think that a sychophant like Gadaffi would sit across a table with ppl he sees as "common rebels" to hammer out any type of deal?
Time for everyone to move on,Gadaffi is gone and Libyans are better off,40 years without change is disrespectful of his citizens. wink

nigeria has much more pressing issues to deal with than Libya right now, corruption,crumbling infrastructure,energy shortages,poverty,unemployment, grin
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by moderatorr: 12:36am On Sep 15, 2011
their is nothing that can stop a thing whose time has come.GADHAFFI has done his best to answer his surname to the grave, but democracy has come to stay. FG is right.
ShipIt:

Why can't these clowns just admit they made a mistake
roadside mumu
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by efisher(m): 12:42am On Sep 15, 2011
Even almighty China has recognized them. Everybody knew Gadafi's time was up. No point stalling.
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by ujukala: 1:08am On Sep 15, 2011
Who cares?
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by cap28: 1:33am On Sep 15, 2011
sell outs, scumbags and reincarnated slave traders - thats nigerian leaders for you - no sense of africanness, no sense of self respect or self love - why would you recognise people who are killing your own citizens?

your day of reckoning is at hand - america and britain do not have permanent friends just permanent interests - they can change at the drop of a hat.

those racists that nigeria recognised are not even in control of libya, bani walid and sirte are still under gadaffi's control and the people of those towns have refused to surrender, NATO is now dropping mustard gas on the innocent people of that town and still the people say NO WE WON'T SURRENDER - i respect their courage and dignity, LONG LIVE MUAMMAR GADAFFI - DEATH TO NATO AND THEIR REBEL RAT COLLABORATORS.
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by velo10: 2:14am On Sep 15, 2011
Why are they claiming they did a great job, when they didn't do jackshyt
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by Basics007: 3:30am On Sep 15, 2011
It's hasty. It's so hasty it stinks. And this man is still insisting Nigerians are not being harmed in Libya despite so much evidence to the contrary. Na wa o
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by Fidelo726: 3:56pm On Sep 15, 2011
The decision was never in a haste. Ghadaffi's time is up and he has to go.
Most of the people that accepted his rule are late now so, he has to leave the place by free and fair election which he never wanted or by force which he is receiving now. The government never supported NATO that was killing ''blacks'' rather they have to go with people that are opposing dictorship so as to alinate the man that killed hundreds of his subjects that never wanted him.

Do not forget that the time has gone when people are rule by others without there consent.
A man in Libya that is 40 to 42 years today never gave Ghadaffi the right to govern him.
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by thameamead(f): 11:29am On Sep 16, 2011
cap28:

sell outs, scumbags and reincarnated slave traders - thats nigerian leaders for you - no sense of africanness, no sense of self respect or self love - why would you recognise people who are killing your own citizens?

your day of reckoning is at hand - america and britain do not have permanent friends just permanent interests - they can change at the drop of a hat.

those racists that nigeria recognised are not even in control of libya, bani walid and sirte are still under gadaffi's control and the people of those towns have refused to surrender, NATO is now dropping mustard gas on the innocent people of that town and still the people say NO WE WON'T SURRENDER - i respect their courage and dignity, LONG LIVE MUAMMAR GADAFFI - DEATH TO NATO AND THEIR REBEL RAT COLLABORATORS.

The Nigerian Government is nothing but a puppet to the Rebels, they need to check out you tube to see videos of Nigerians bn locked up in Libya, i spoke to someone at the Nigerian Embassy in london who told me he was aware of Nigerians in Libya who were bn confused with mercenaries but there was nothing he could do, i asked to speak to the Ambassador but he said he was going to pass over my contact details and he was going to make sure he called me, its over 2 wks, am still waiting, initially i was with the rebels but not anymore, LONG LIVE GADDAFFI, LONG MAY THE WAR IN LIBYA CONTINUE, i hear there is divisions in the Libyan NTC and the rebels i hope they turn their weapons against one another.i hope they all meet a terrible death with the way they are treating innocent black african migrants.
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by kabna(m): 3:31pm On Sep 22, 2011
I am greatly buffled myself as to why Sub saharan African governments will support the libyan rebels who are killing and maltreating black Africans. The global disrespect for black life means such maltreatment of black Africans in Libya will be swept under the carpet. And yes our leaders not a single one of them is bold enough to condem this and quickly rush to endorse them but oh the time has come and the time is now that thesethings will sieze.
Re: The Decision To Support Libyan Rebels Was Not Hasty - FG by thameamead(f): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2011
kabna:

I am greatly buffled myself as to why Sub saharan African governments will support the libyan rebels who are killing and maltreating black Africans. The global disrespect for black life means such maltreatment of black Africans in Libya will be swept under the carpet. And yes our leaders not a single one of them is bold enough to condem this and quickly rush to endorse them but oh the time has come and the time is now that thesethings will sieze.

Reason: African Leaders are sell-outs, they are traitors.

(1) (Reply)

The World's Most Honest City: Lost Wallet Experiment Reveals / Anambra State Has 90 Percent Good Motorable Road Network- APC / Imagine U Are Given 48hrs To Rule Nigeria, What Will You Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.