Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? (9120 Views)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by lurkee(f): 9:32am On Sep 15, 2011
Is it OK for a young female to live on her own in Nigeria. I am almost graduating and I have not lived with my parents for a while but my mom has the metality that I should not move out unless I am moving out to my husband's house. I am quite independent and I'm someone who is not afraid of living alone but I do not want to offend/disrespect my parents by moving out especially if I am in the same state as they are. I am also weary of going back to my old bedroom and having my parents treat me like a child because of the old ". . . as long as you are under my roof . . ." mentality.

OK, so do any of you ladies live on your own while your parents are in the same state or close by and how did you bring it up with your parents? Am I crazy to want to move out of my parents house as a young female?

PS: I do not mind having a flatmate and that would be better for safety and costs issues but I don't want to go back to my old bedroom.

1 Like

Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Glamglam(f): 9:59am On Sep 15, 2011
i moved out becuase I felt my mum needed the space. i have three younger siblings. She wasn't happy at first but she soon got used to it. . . I would have stayed home if I was leaving with Grandma though because she had the space etc. but she lives far away. . .
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by janiebravo(f): 10:17am On Sep 15, 2011
@Poster I feel you, it would have been a yay for me but circumstances didn't allow, i had to raise a child so i needed all the money i could get and the care of a family home, if not i would have left home years ago. Am trying to work on that now.

I think if its something you want and you can do, then you can, but remember to make your parents understand, its always good to be at peace with them. They are parents and want the best for us always, so they would fuss about issues anyway.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by lurkee(f): 10:32am On Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for your replies. I wish I could bring up the subject with little fuss from my parents but I know it is impossible. I just feel after so many years on my own (5 years) I would not want to keep living with my parents. I would want my own flat and just some sort of independence away from their over-protective eyes.

Some girl's first taste of freedom is in the house of their husband and I think that is not for me. I want to grow more on my own as I have been doing while at university before joining my life to someone forever. My mom does not believe this is  right and thinks a single woman living on her own is begging for spinsterhood and would be used by men. She would be very unhappy if I chose to leave anyway. The only solution might be move out of state but I do not want that.

1 Like

Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by lurkee(f): 8:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
undecided undecided
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by itiswell1(m): 7:29am On Sep 16, 2011
shocked shocked shocked
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by blackpanda: 7:32am On Sep 16, 2011
It is natural for every parent to want to protect their child for as long as possible. Looking at it from ur parents point of view, i can understand their concerns and the desire to want to constantly monitor you. This type of upbringing is quite peculiar to most cultures.
But the reality is that if you feel it is time to be on your own and can cope independently with the outside world, then u have to convince ur parents and make them see reasons why u must be allowed to start living ur own life.
If they resist, i suggest u persuade them by striking a compromise. Promise them u will visit often and will constantly keep in touch with them.
The truth is that no matter how old u are, u will always remain a child in the eyes of ur parents. Parents just have that instinct to be protective, especially in today's society. But to allow them to deprive u of ur independence is like putting ur entire future in their hands. Which is not adviceable. You have to explore and see the world for urself, have ur own experiences and enjoy life.
Just engage them in conversation and try to convince them. Also getting a flat mate is a welcome idea. Find someone that they can trust and who is dependable.
Goodluck
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by NatGas(m): 7:38am On Sep 16, 2011
@POSTER!
U said u will be graduating soon, meaning u r yet to serve,I would advice u go back home.Life after graduation for girls is different from before graduation.Some space will be given to u by ur parents and u still have a thing or two to learn before u finally move out for service or marriage.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by bammo: 7:38am On Sep 16, 2011
i wonder y u want 2 stay away frm ur parents and i dont think u hav a good reason do u, i think staying wiv ur parents is d best,
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by showstopa: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2011
@OP,
Do you have a job amongst other things if not hanlele back to your Papa house.
NYSC and after is when you can move out and start asserting your independence.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by snthesis(m): 8:08am On Sep 16, 2011
@OP
post your pic b4 i pass my comment grin grin
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Muttex(m): 8:09am On Sep 16, 2011
@POSTER. pls get a job b4 you can start to do that, and moreso, do you have any ulterior motive of doing that? Your parents will neva mislead you, they want the best for you at all cost, before ur independent my dear, get the require training so that you will not rush back to them in d furure, wish you well in ur journey of life, Cheers
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by cinzo: 8:13am On Sep 16, 2011
Do you have a job? Who is going to pay the rent? These are issues you need to resolve first!
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:36am On Sep 16, 2011
Hmmm I can see the reason why u want to move out is to have unlimited access to ur bfs cus ur parents dey spoil show 4 u
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by MMM2(m): 10:25am On Sep 16, 2011
op
u re free 2 stay with me as long as u want undecided

So far as u re a lady wink
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by avosoft: 10:27am On Sep 16, 2011
staying single in Nigeria affords the opportunity for a lady to be promiscuous. And our society does not allow it or recognized
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by SwiftSMS(f): 11:13am On Sep 16, 2011
avosoft:

staying single in Nigeria affords the opportunity for a lady to be promiscuous. And our society does not allow it or recognized

Avosoft na wao for you oooo shocked shocked.

I beg to differ, living on your own may afford you lots of opportunities to be promiscuous or mis-behave in other ways but a person chooses how he or she will live on their own. A female friend lived alone for a long time and she lived by strict personal rules e.g

1. Male visitors do not sleep over except her blood relations
2. Her place wasn't open to visitors at 8.00pm which she made known to both male & female friends, a few of us thought she was joking and made the mistake of storming her place at about pass 8.00pm. She ignored us for some time and then finally came out to read us the riot act and march us off her door step angry
3. If you were at her at place before 8.00pm by 7.30pm at most you would be out etc etc

It wasn't funny but we quickly learnt to respect her rules and abide by them, she did all of that because she desired and was determined to live a disciplined life away from home. My respect for her skyrocketed to cloud 9.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by realiforj: 11:20am On Sep 16, 2011
Please dont move out of your parents place yet. make sure you have already gone for service and have something doing i mean a job before you move out. The real world is different from being in school. mind you when you were in school daddy and mummy paid the bills, moving out to rent a place means u on ur own. Lets be frank here am a lady i do work and still stay with my parents they definately interfers but its all for your good. They mean well for you.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by sleekch1c(f): 11:24am On Sep 16, 2011
Stuff and nonsense, get a job,convice them then rent a place.an adult shld live on their own.

1 Like

Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by otokx(m): 11:41am On Sep 16, 2011
Get a job first then work like for a year before moving to your own place, during NYSC though you would have a place of your own though with some flat mates.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Johndoe100(m): 11:48am On Sep 16, 2011
Get a place. If you need any help, I am there for you. cool
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by bigfat01: 11:50am On Sep 16, 2011
nay stay there forever ,
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by basadenet: 11:54am On Sep 16, 2011
So that she can ply her trade without any disturbance. hope you know what i mean.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by ojeycombo(m): 12:40pm On Sep 16, 2011
Poster, to be candid with u, threr is nothing wrong in living independently because of the benefit to do alot of things on your own and shapening your life better; and of course simulating all the training your parents have induced into you, especially your mum. However, some factors might negate such a decision, of which you have to consider thoroughly before implementing.

1. Economic imbalance: how do you want to cope (as some peeps have articulated) financially? how do you intend renting the apartment? even if your parents or anyone rents it for you, what about the overheads and other spendings?

2. Security: you need to understand that Nigeria as a whole is not safe. especially for a lady who now decides to live alone. worse will be, if you are located in a violent-prone area; worst of it is if you are a lady that is enchanting and you sub-consciously call for attention. my dear, eyes go dey on top u o. fact!

put all this into consideration before makingany decision. no one would decide for you. just consider the premises highlighted by everyone. good luck! wink smiley
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 16, 2011
Yes its ok for a single lady to stay on her own then the question; my place or your place will be deal closer
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Oba234: 1:23pm On Sep 16, 2011
I never understood the big deal on why women must stay in their father's house untill marriage. Anyway sha, I lived in the states and I just graduated. so I am back home, but my mother is already trying to move me out. She is even looking for apartment for me self. The only obstacle is that I am yet to get a permanent full time job. After this, I am gone. I think you should try to reason with your parents and try to understand where their fears are coming. You should show that you are capable of living on your own by having a job that can provide food, shelter and security.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by buzcenter: 2:05pm On Sep 16, 2011
im enjoin dis class.
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by uglybetty: 2:30pm On Sep 16, 2011
What if you have a job outside home you want go, because you want to leave with your parents? I feel all of this is self discipline and self-control.

1 Like

Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by jjgirljay(f): 2:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
when i got back 2yrs ago,my mum wont hear of me living alone,i was able to convince here and got a place. this is what i did to put her mind at rest.

call her twice daily,when i wake up and when i get home from work
when am going out all night i tell her
when i have a new friend i let her know
where ever am going,i tell her the name of the place(even if she doesnt know the place)

this is to put her mind at rest,may sure whereever you get an apartment security is important,roommates are not advisable be careful.

good luck
Re: For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 16, 2011
How much respect do you think a guy has for you when he comes visit you under your parents roof as against in your self contained room?

How long do you think he can continue to visit without committing himself to a serious future if you are under some parenthood or family as agaisnt living alone.

As much as you can avoid it, a single lady is better off living with a family than alone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exclusive Duvet Set At Affordable Price For Family Use / How To Help A Child With Low Grade In School / I Make Great Cakes. Please Whatsapp Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.