Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,473 members, 7,843,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS (7013 Views)

Over 400,000 Jobs Created In 3rd Quarter - NBS / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. / Nigeria Records 85 Per Cent Employment In 6 Months – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Obinoscopy(m): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2011
Guy haba! Why are you inflating figures like this. Do you know how many Nigerians are between 18 to 65 years (work age)? That 33 million is quite large; I even doubt that number. I think the number of unemployed should be slightly less than 33 million. If they had included people who are under-employed then I'd accept. This is because a graduate who sells groundnut along the streets is still employed (underemployed though)

latola05:

This government has failed for so long, who do they think they are deceiving? how did they arrive at 33million?we need an answer. definitely, the number of umemployed graduates can't be less than 70million!!! Aba, I can conclude that the rest are greatly underemployed. Govt should wake up to their responsibilities as soon as possible.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by ziccoit: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
What percentage is under-employed.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by manny4life(m): 4:53pm On Sep 15, 2011
Quite a good number of people fail to understand how our lovely economics defined unemployment. While different countries use different parameters, bottom line is the core makeup of umemployment remains. For there to be unemployment, it has to meet three criteria

A. You have to be within the "working class" population, preferably 18-65;

B. You DO NOT have a job over a certain period of time; however, many countries have defined what classification of the time frame is.

C. You are "actively seeking" a job, in other words, regardless of what type it is, as long as you're working, you're employed.

Now given these scenario, I strongly believe that that number is somewhat grossly overstated. 33million individuals on a 150million population scale

Princek12:

Even let's for argument sake, take their statistic as reliable, I am even surprised that the unemployment rate is that low. How can the unemployment rate drop when there is no electricity to create jobs, and most of our businesses are now moving to Ghana?

Correction, Electricity DOES NOT in itself create JOBS. There are other factors that contribute to creation of jobs in the macroeeconomic environment.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by wowo2: 7:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
chei statisticians, , because there are 33 million okadas in Nigeria does not mean there are 33 million jobless nigerians
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by kholis(m): 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2011
Even though the stat lacks empirical evidence, it does not mean that unemployment level is not more than 60%
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by kholis(m): 7:36pm On Sep 15, 2011
In fact, I charge Dr Yemi Kale with underestimation. When he captures the right stat of unemployment in Nigeria, he will collapse in shock.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by 2bosun: 10:12pm On Sep 15, 2011
manny4life:

Quite a good number of people fail to understand how our lovely economics defined unemployment. While different countries use different parameters, bottom line is the core makeup of umemployment remains. For there to be unemployment, it has to meet three criteria

A. You have to be within the "working class" population, preferably 18-65;

B. You DO NOT have a job over a certain period of time; however, many countries have defined what classification of the time frame is.

C. You are "actively seeking" a job, in other words, regardless of what type it is, as long as you're working, you're employed.

Now given these scenario, I strongly believe that that number is somewhat grossly overstated. 33million individuals on a 150million population scale

Correction, Electricity DOES NOT in itself create JOBS. There are other factors that contribute to creation of jobs in the macroeeconomic environment.

I don't buy that the number has been "grossly" overestimated, the official unemployment figure was 20% 2 years ago. Factor in all the banks/ companies merging and tough economic conditions you would agree that a 10% increase in unemployment is not too far-fetched.

It does take more than electricity to create job but the importance of power to any economy can never be overstated. It's just sad that in addition to the infrastructural deficits in Nigeria- the CBN's monetary policy makes access to funds impossible for small businesses which are primarily responsible for creating jobs.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Nobody: 10:58pm On Sep 15, 2011
funny! who are they foolling! there wont be less than 120million Nigerians unemployed(i mean overall)
then for (graduate) it wont be nothing less than 2/3 of the graduates (if possible there is a statistic to show how many graduates we have per yr cry )
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 16, 2011
the figure might be somewhat close to reality even though lacking sound empirical evidence. The fact that a graduate does not work in banks, oil company, with government of big private firm does not make him/her unemployed.
Even at 33m, it is still very high requiring drastic solution. I believe 2 things contribute significantly to unemployment in nigeria.
1. The government through endemic corruption, mismanagement, nepotism and lack of sound polices implementation.
2. The errorneous believe that once one becomes a graduate, he has to get a white collar job.
However, the reality nowadays is to have a hanwork and use your education to do it in a unique way that will bring you to a limelight. I know someone will ask where do one get the money?. Believe me, if you are good in what you do and constantly update yourself, start-up is never a problem.
For instance, I was discharged from national youth service last February (2011). I did not rely on faith to get a 'white colar' job just like most graduates will do. I quickly did the statistics of the number of graduates being discharged every 4 months from the NYSC. An average of 2000 from each State of the federation. In a year, 2000 x 3 (batch A,B&C) x 37 (FCT included. That's 222,000 graduates every year (excluding those that did not serve and OND/School certs' holders). The few company available, I learnt were moving to Ghana!. Eventhough I graduated with 2', I know the chance for me to get a job was very slim if not impossible as a nobody without connection. I quickly perfected my typing skill having laernt about desktop publishing before graduation. I started a business center in my room. Now, to the glory of God, 2 offices, one for computer business center and the other for computer training at strategic locations worth N500,000 and still growing within six months starting with a desktop computer, a printer and 1 'I passed my neighbour generator'-all from the allowance I received from the INEC registration exercise. There are so many opportunities outthere, stop complaining about financial constraint, look for ways to overcome the constraint and set yourself free. Our politicians have no plan for you!
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by lekanfahd(m): 5:57am On Sep 16, 2011
I tink dis figure is not accurate cos nigeria has no mechanism in place to collate such info, so where on earth do they get dat figure from? Make dem dey decieve demself
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by buzcenter: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2011
can someone imagine dat , i jas dey pity where dem dey push naija go.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by bigfat01: 11:27am On Sep 16, 2011
too bad
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Ikroberts: 11:35am On Sep 16, 2011
I do not beamed them.
in fact the number of Nigerians that are jobless is 33 million times 10.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by okeyxyz(m): 1:47pm On Sep 16, 2011
obasy09:

the figure might be somewhat close to reality even though lacking sound empirical evidence. The fact that a graduate does not work in banks, oil company, with government of big private firm does not make him/her unemployed.
Even at 33m, it is still very high requiring drastic solution. I believe 2 things contribute significantly to unemployment in nigeria.
1. The government through endemic corruption, mismanagement, nepotism and lack of sound polices implementation.
2. The errorneous believe that once one becomes a graduate, he has to get a white collar job.
However, the reality nowadays is to have a hanwork and use your education to do it in a unique way that will bring you to a limelight. I know someone will ask where do one get the money?. Believe me, if you are good in what you do and constantly update yourself, start-up is never a problem.
For instance, I was discharged from national youth service last February (2011). I did not rely on faith to get a 'white colar' job just like most graduates will do. I quickly did the statistics of the number of graduates being discharged every 4 months from the NYSC. An average of 2000 from each State of the federation. In a year, 2000 x 3 (batch A,B&C) x 37 (FCT included. That's 222,000 graduates every year (excluding those that did not serve and OND/School certs' holders). The few company available, I learnt were moving to Ghana!. Eventhough I graduated with 2', I know the chance for me to get a job was very slim if not impossible as a nobody without connection. I quickly perfected my typing skill having laernt about desktop publishing before graduation. I started a business center in my room. Now, to the glory of God, 2 offices, one for computer business center and the other for computer training at strategic locations worth N500,000 and still growing within six months starting with a desktop computer, a printer and 1 'I passed my neighbour generator'-all from the allowance I received from the INEC registration exercise. There are so many opportunities outthere, stop complaining about financial constraint, look for ways to overcome the constraint and set yourself free. Our politicians have no plan for you!

thank you bros\sis. though not everybody is meant to be a biz owner.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by okeyxyz(m): 2:00pm On Sep 16, 2011
Dr Kale noted that agriculture remained the largest contributor to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at 41.49 per cent in the second quarter compared to 42.32 per cent in the second quarter of 2010. Similarly, wholesale and retail trade account for 16.75 per cent.

He said crude petroleum and natural gas contributed to 14.84 per cent compared to 15.7 per cent and manufacturing contributed 3.91 per cent in the second quarter of 2011 compared to 3.93 per cent in the second quarter of 2010.

one of three things is happening here:
1. this guy is blatantly producing lies.
2. he is imagining things, or
3.he is plucking figure out of thin air, which is tantamount to magic.

he says agriculture is biggest contributor to GDP, ok o, if so can somebody point out to me what infrastructure like roads, bridges, govt buildings, salaries, etc that have been built from takings from agriculture. we all know that oil money does all these. we don't see national assembly members trading blows over monies accruing from agriculture, but everybody is fighting, shooting, and bombing just to get a piece or more of that "national cake" called oil & gas. this guy is simply reading scripts from UK\US economic reports & imputing his own figures, trying to impress us. bros it don't work like that o. pls do ur work properly.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Obinoscopy(m): 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2011
okeyxyz:

he says agriculture is biggest contributor to GDP, ok o, if so can somebody point out to me what infrastructure like roads, bridges, govt buildings, salaries, etc that have been built from takings from agriculture. we all know that oil money does all these. we don't see national assembly members trading blows over monies accruing from agriculture, but everybody is fighting, shooting, and bombing just to get a piece or more of that "national cake" called oil & gas. this guy is simply reading scripts from UK\US economic reports & imputing his own figures, trying to impress us. bros it don't work like that o. pls do your work properly.

For the fact that oil money is used to build our roads and other infrastructures does not mean it contributes to our GDP. I suggest you read up what GDP is in your economics textbook
okeyxyz:

he says agriculture is biggest contributor to GDP, ok o, if so can somebody point out to me what infrastructure like roads, bridges, govt buildings, salaries, etc that have been built from takings from agriculture. we all know that oil money does all these. we don't see national assembly members trading blows over monies accruing from agriculture, but everybody is fighting, shooting, and bombing just to get a piece or more of that "national cake" called oil & gas. this guy is simply reading scripts from UK\US economic reports & imputing his own figures, trying to impress us. bros it don't work like that o. pls do your work properly.

For the fact that oil money is used to build our roads and other infrastructures does not mean it contributes to our GDP. I suggest you read up what GDP is in your economics textbook

1 Like

Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by engrj(m): 7:01pm On Sep 17, 2011
The Problem is that most of the Nigerians Youth are not Creative, Is there anything wrong for some 1 to start up a Buss with just a little money of about #200,000k or 100,000, Must every body work in Oil Company?
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by efobikene(m): 1:26pm On Sep 18, 2011
it is a lie o! ministry in charge of youths affairs say it is 68million youths confirmed jobless, not even unemployed, JOBLESS
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by agitator: 7:20am On Sep 19, 2011
engr j:

The Problem is that most of the Nigerians Youth are not Creative, Is there anything wrong for some 1 to start up a Buss with just a little money of about #200,000k or 100,000, Must every body work in Oil Company?

Many people can't raise #10,000 start up capital you are talking of #100,000.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by okpueze: 10:01am On Sep 19, 2011
Careline Foundation is seeking dynamic and purposeful individuals or organizations from all part of Nigeria, who want to make extra income over and over again in the Telecommunication industry. We have offices in the 6 Geo- Political region in Nigeria.

Careline is ready to transform the telecommunication industry in Nigeria, through our product which seeks to give individuals or corporate bodies the ability to make UNLIMITED FREE calls, powered by a GSM OPERATOR IN NIGERIA.

The Foundation is open to both individuals that are currently working and are unemployed. You ARE NOT required to pay any registration fee to Join the foundation.

BENEFITS TO MEMBERS
1. You will be paid for any member you bring in to the foundation.
2. You will also be paid on your down lines. That is, you will be paid for individuals introduced by the people you brought in initially.
3. You will be paid up to 5% of all Revenue on the lines in your account (Down lines). That is, you will be for all the outgoing calls made and SMS sent by the individuals you brought in directly or indirectly. If for instance you have brought in directly or indirectly 1000 people, and each one of them uses up to N5,000 in a month. 1000 * 5000 =N5, 000,000. 5% of 5,000,000 is N250, 000. So you will be entitled to N250, 000 for that month.
4. You will be entitled to free credits, Foundation membership card, and support material.

Membership is open to Bankers, Civil servants, Business Men/Women, Doctors, Clergy Men, Unemployed, Undergraduates, literates, illiterates and to everyone that just wants to make extra cash.

If you are interested in joining careline foundation and you are serious about making extra income kindly send us YOUR NAME, PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS to carelinefoundation@onenetworkng.com or carelinefoundation@gmail.com or carelinefoundation@dovecareng.com or 08099930333 on or before 30/09/2011. You will be sent additional information and you will be invited to our meeting/induction service. For enquiries call 08099930333

NOTE: Careline Foundation in the past one year is involved in Telecommunication services and gives employed and unemployed individuals the opportunity to make extra income in the telecommunication industry.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Detribaliz: 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2011
Na wa oh! My people perish for lack of knowledge. I am a statistician and unlike most of you understand statistical methodology. There is a difference between unemployment and underemployment. The condition for underemployment is that you are employed but based on your skills you are not fully engaged in work that takes those skills into account thereby maximizing productivity. So yes the graduate selling recharge card is employed but underemployed. The illiterate selling cards may or may not be underemployed depending on his skills. Furthermore, the nbs uses surveys to conduct it's unemployment rate which is just  an average rate and not the exact number. This is how it is done in every country. You take a representative sample of households in an area and ask questions. You don't go to every household. So this of you that didn't fill questionnaires don't worry. The nbs unemployment survey was across all 36 states and the fct and nbs has offices in all states and presence in all local governments. The very comprehensive report which I suggest you should read identified the fact that graduates were the highest figure at about 50percent so you are not saying anything new by stating what nbs had already said. Nbs also stated that the latest figure of 21.7percent(they never gave any number so doesn't matter which number u use 150 or 200 million nigerians). Inflation rate is a statistic and an indicator to direct evidenced based policy. U guys really need to-do some reading on the subject.  The nbs study broke the unemployment rate by age group, state, gender, educational qualifications etc. You all need to get your facts right. I have read the report and it is very comprehensive and well done.
Re: 33 Million Nigerians Are Jobless - NBS by Detribaliz: 8:41pm On Sep 19, 2011
At obinoscopy. You need to go and read about GDP and what it means and how it's computed. You're demonstrating ignorance here. GDP is the total value of goods and services produced. Not revenue generated to the government.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Rossland Screening Solutions Grad & Exp. Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / International Rescue Committee (IRC) Job Openings / Federal Government Regulatory Agency Job Recruitment (5 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.