Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism (31940 Views)

FG Revokes Seplat CEO, Brown’s Visa, Residence, Work Permits Over Alleged Racism / Bill Gates Steps Down From Microsoft Board / Bill Gates Plays With Roger Federer, Tennis Legend (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by brunxy(m): 6:15am On Mar 11, 2023
When we did the Oben AG compression station construction job for seplat between 2015 to 2017; I wasn't surprised when I found out an ibo man owns the company.
From top to bottom were all ibo guys working as supervising engineers.
Please don't get me wrong here o, I am not faulting the owner for doing that because if you check other companies in Nigeria the majority of workers there are always a representation of the tribe of the owners.
Nigeria that is even a country, visit most federal parastatals like NNPC and it subsidiaries you will know the tribe that owns Nigeria.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by NapoleonHill: 6:42am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

I wonder how this could possibly be a win for many Nigerians. Is Seplat like the highest hirer of Nigerians such that many see this as some sort of a win, or is it just their usual tribalism extending to foreigners?

Again, it's only those who wear that shoe who know where it pinches.

Let me make a last attempt to make you understand that even if Seplat hires only two Nigerians, they shouldn't face discrimination on their own soil, their government should not be complicit as it has always been the case.

What you don't seem to know is that news travel fast among expat across the country. When you know that there could be consequences for racism, you will focus on your business of coming to Nigeria which is WORK. It has nothing to do with the higher employer is Labour in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by mfm04622: 6:52am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

Yes he has choices! He can appeal to a higher court. It's not as if he is guilty already after all.

Do you know what a visa is? And what privileges visa confers on the holder? His Visa, work permit and residence permit were all revoked. He can't stay nor work in Nigeria. He has no choice.
Yes, he can apeal the court order, however, he can't stay nor work in Nigeria until he get another visa and work permit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by bssman406: 6:56am On Mar 11, 2023
Parachoko:
He does not have a choice

Is visa have been revoked

If you must respond to a post...try at least to spell correctly.

2 Likes

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by TheboyGhost(m): 7:13am On Mar 11, 2023
oilykid:

Yoruba foolish goat who doesn't know that both the founders are both igbos.

Avuru is delta igbo from ndokwa while Orjiako is from Anambra.. if you are smart you would have researched about them in the first place instead coming online to spill thrash from your mouth.

Most of you yorubas are not meant to live among humans but animals caged in the zoo..

Let him be please, I have been reading his words and I see how he forcefully tries to paint one SS and another SE.

He is stupid and a Tribal he-goat which is even worst seeing a lot of people reading his comments and accepting every word hook and sinker.

His words gives him up for the person he actually is and that is a stupid tribal idiot with an obsession about Igbos and also one of those championing the SS and SE nonsense we see everyday on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by R0LL0N(m): 7:13am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

Your sentiment, I suppose. Unfortunately for you, he does not have to do what you want and can have his day in court against the ministry if he wants to.

When it’s comes to legal duty. It’s the first on priority among other things except if someone is sick. You can’t just say you can’t attend a court if summoned without giving any genuine reason.

1 Like

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Laurene: 7:28am On Mar 11, 2023
OkoAmarashy:

Don't mind the idiot. He probably got agitated when I mentioned that Orjiakor was recruiting only Igbos into Seplat and forcing others out so as to cover his misdeeds.

Orjiakor wants to use tribalism to force a South South man out, meanwhile Seplat operates in the South South. Austin is showing him shege.
you're one of the problems we have in Nigeria... Your type always find tribe and religion in everything... And I can swear that you're yoruba...always trying to separate south south from South east.

4 Likes

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by larryUG(m): 7:48am On Mar 11, 2023
sisisioge:
Hmmmm.....how many people are on the board of directors? How many are Nigerians? How many tiers of management do they have? What is the percentage of the local content in it? I believe the allegation is true....he should return to his country biko.

Next should be those Chinese and Indian run factories in Lagos and Ogun state. I cringe at how they treat Nigerians.
Leave that matter. SEPLAT is majorly owned by 3 companies. Shebah, M&P and Platforms petroleum. All of these companies appoint their representatives to the board. it is not the CEO that appoints board members, it is the shareholders. That is how the boardroom works. All these allegations are just bullshit. It is a power tussle between the 2 Nigerian companies that own SEPLAT (Shebah and Platform).

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by BigBrother9ja: 7:48am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

Not your usual big brother thread, is it.

Oponu a lai lẹkọ n'lé.
Oriẹ ti buru
Alainilakai
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by PPIA: 7:53am On Mar 11, 2023
OkoAmarashy:

The person they appointed is Igbo.

You are the child of a pauper and so, you have no access to even know wealthy Igbos. Umu nkita.
IP🐽B talk again!

Ndi Developers 🐽
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by larryUG(m): 7:55am On Mar 11, 2023
OkoAmarashy:

They wanted to pull a Mangal on Austin but they lack the depth.

There are some financial scandals in Seplat which if blown open, ABC Orjiakor would have been jailed in the UK and Nigeria. Some of of them might have been mentioned in Austin's book.
Orjiakor wants to run the company like a village trader's shop but Austin is the bone in his neck.

Remember that Seplat for the approval of Buhari for the acquisition of Mobil assets. However, the NNPC and regulators opposed the deal and that's how everything scattered.

Many sound professionals are leaving Seplat and moving on. Orjiakor wants Austin to move on but Austin has refused. Austin has another oil company but he's still showing Orjiakor that he's not SS guy.

One more thing. Many SE politicians are backing him while the SS political figures are backing Austin. If Obi had won this election, Orjiakor would have been home and dry.

The way things are going, Orjiakor will lose out in the powerplay.
Your analysis is biased obviously because you are leaning towards Austin as he may be from your region.
I am Igbo, but anyways I am not going to support Orjiako neither am I going to put him under the bus. You said Austin has another oil company, same with Orjiakor. It was Orjiakor's Company and Austin's Company that together to form Seplat. Orjiakor may be a surgeon butr he is no baby in the oil industry.
Secondly, you said there are financial scandals in Seplat for which Orjiakor would have been in jail. Do you think a Chairman can pull off financial scam without the CEO? In most cases, a CEO wields so much power that nothing can happen without his consent. Orjiakor may be a dirty player, but Avuru aint no saint either. They are just playing their politics. Austin has his men in Seplat, ABC has his men. They are just in supremacy battle.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Juleeee: 8:08am On Mar 11, 2023
Next it's Lebanese CEOs

1 Like

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by winterfell007(m): 8:08am On Mar 11, 2023
MadarasBlade:

Where did you get this narrative of him employing only igbos? Wheres the article let me read. You guys are just too tribal
Are you minding the dude. That guy has been spewing false narrative since in this thread. ABC Orjiakor who recently retired chairman and was replaced by Omiyi, an non-Igbo guy is who they are calling a tribalist. Seplat that is listed on both the stock exchanges of Lagos and London cannot be perceived to be playing tribalism in the recruitment processes.
This whole issue is bothered around Roger Brown. Though I hope Roger Brown is not guilty of what he stands accused of. That guy is top class technocrat.

2 Likes

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Chris2863(m): 8:16am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

Yes he has choices! He can appeal to a higher court. It's not as if he is guilty already after all.
lmao. Appeal to a higher court indeed. Was he taken to court at first?

A country has the full right to revoke your visa anytime. Just the same way countries have the right to reject your visa application
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Phraences: 9:05am On Mar 11, 2023
OkoAmarashy:

Serious matter that went up to the Presidency at a point. Buhari assented to an oil deal and later rescinded assent.
Same fight that scuttled Seplat Mobil oil deal.
Both founders were getting injunctions against each other at a point.

The genesis is that ABC Orjiakor an Igbo man is putting only Igbos in position in Seplat whether qualified or not and Austin Avuru the Confounder from the SS is resisting, insisting on balance.
Orjiakor is picking those loyal to him so that the heists committed while he as at the helm can be kept secret since they're loyal to him.

However, Austin Avuru is from the Niger Delta and has more contacts in the oil industry. He is showing Seplat Hell

Who has majority shareholding? Orjiakor or Austin?
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by torqque7(m): 9:18am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

After all, it's in your own house where you must be the bully?

He didn’t complain of racism did he?so nobody bullied him. You know this but you just want to argue for reasons best known to you.

We always read how Chinese and foreign companies treat Nigerian staff anyhow and people have been so scared to fighting them but now finally people have started to fight back and you act like you don’t know what’s going on.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by thisisit: 9:18am On Mar 11, 2023
WHEN WILL PROF. MAHMOUD RESIGN FROM INEC?
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Phraences: 9:19am On Mar 11, 2023
OkoAmarashy:

You are not talking to your village people or your association of fellow drunkards.

You're a daft fool and a dreg of a society. You jumped up here to defend Orjiakor because he is from your tribe. God punish your entire lineage.

Look here, if you want links to investigations on Orjiakor, I will give you.
Both men are fighting for the control of Seplat and one pauper is here talking nonsense.
I should have you runt, bottom-feeding dreg of the society.

This is my last reply to you. You have a natural aversion to commonsense.

Austin should resign and let the chairman drag down the company. All these fight is not necessary.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Nicenixon: 9:59am On Mar 11, 2023
MightySparrow:

Nonsense allegation. Gone are the days an Igbo man would be vice chancellor in University of Ibadan or Lagos .
Gone are those days when a Hausa man would be a vice chancellor in a University in the whole southeast.

2 Likes

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by onoja12: 10:09am On Mar 11, 2023
Slave mentality is deep,worship the white man at all cost.hum
I challenge you to try this in his country ,the UK and see how quickly you land a jail

budaatum:

Your sentiment, I suppose. Unfortunately for you, he does not have to do what you want and can have his day in court against the ministry if he wants to.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by MightySparrow: 10:18am On Mar 11, 2023
Nicenixon:
Gone are those days when a Hausa man would be a vice chancellor in a University in the whole southeast.

We are divided along religious and tribal lines than ever before.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by NgwalandAbia(m): 11:06am On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

Will you shut up and keep kwayet slave.

Why don't you join him to clean his shoes in his useless land.

Nigeria is for real Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Asour: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2023
tshtsh:

Forget the media. It was just a ploy to kick him out. They did same to their former CEO (Austin avuru) and kicked him out of the board. What was the racist atrocity that he committed ? I'm not holding brief for him but if its Seplat that I know its a dog-eat-dog company. Very political and an even unhealthy place for young professionals. Same Roger Brown that was the CFO for many years and prior to that a consultant who helped the company raise finance in its early days. The stakeholders want a corrupt CEO that will open the vault for them. That company is a mealticket to a number of NNPC workers, NPDC and NAPIMS workers. If you carry out a survey I wont be surprised if up to 90% of their staff got in via nepotism as all the people I know there are fond of saying say they got in through the chairman (ABC Orjiakor) or through the MD (Austin Avuru).

Really?

Wow! That's crazy.

And they have a posh image outside.

Instead of these infightings why not run a private company?

To be frank that's why I love private companies.
The likes of JCB, Liebherr & Kohler.

Although these firms took years to build capital, Board room infightings are less messier.

And Public firms are in a haste to build/distribute capital.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Asour: 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2023
MadarasBlade:

Go and sit down, i know of his story with access bank, it's online for all to see. But what i won't accept from you is that he employs only igbos. Where are the articles, how does only you know about the court order about Avuru's book? You're a liar, and would reap the consequences.

Trying to push a tribal card, wicked idiot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/07/31/real-reason-austin-avuru-put-his-books-on-hold/amp/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by budaatum: 12:53pm On Mar 11, 2023
airsaylongcome:

There is. The guy was insisting on the enforcement of corporate governance. The powerful Nigerians underneath were upset as it was blocking them from looting

It's likely the same as all those who are upset and insulting me here.

Hardmirror, did you think I was being patient then. Watch me ignore 98% out of a 100, lol.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by budaatum: 12:55pm On Mar 11, 2023
airsaylongcome:

There is. The guy was insisting on the enforcement of corporate governance. The powerful Nigerians underneath were upset as it was blocking them from looting

I bet. Seplat is quoted on the London Stock Exchange where compliance is s huge thing.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by budaatum: 1:09pm On Mar 11, 2023
NapoleonHill:

Again, it's only those who wear that shoe who know where it pinches.

Let me make a last attempt to make you understand that even if Seplat hires only two Nigerians, they shouldn't face discrimination on their own soil, their government should not be complicit as it has always been the case.

What you don't seem to know is that news travel fast among expat across the country. When you know that there could be consequences for racism, you will focus on your business of coming to Nigeria which is WORK. It has nothing to do with the higher employer is Labour in Nigeria.

I don't agree that he was discriminating as alleged. He'd be very stupid to in a country where he is a minority. It's grounds for dismissal in UK where he's a majority, so I doubt he'd be so stupid where he is the minority.

Is the below so unlikely?
airsaylongcome:

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by HardMirror(m): 1:11pm On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

It's likely the same as all those who are upset and insulting me here.

Hardmirror, did you think I was being patient then. Watch me ignore 98% out of a 100, lol.
i am actually not suprised there is more to the story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by sweetgala(m): 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

After UK revokes your visa, which will not ever be immediately, you still will have 28 days to appeal. After all, your non-attedance might be because a bus hit you on the way to the Home Office and ended you up in hospital.

https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/appeal-from-outside-the-uk

A bus hitting you or being unable to attend because of a limitation not of your doing is not same as blatant ignorance and refusal to respect the authority of the office appointed by a sovereign nation to control it's immigration

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by budaatum: 1:27pm On Mar 11, 2023
sweetgala:

A bus hitting you or being unable to attend because of a limitation not of your doing is not same as blatant ignorance and refusal to respect the authority of the office appointed by a sovereign nation to control it's immigration

Regardless. 28 days to appeal.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by Ahumanbeing: 1:28pm On Mar 11, 2023
A Nigerian man as CEO is setting the company to doom angry Nigerians will always reduce quality and steal, thieves can’t change.
Re: Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism by NapoleonHill: 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2023
budaatum:

I don't agree that he was discriminating as alleged. He'd be very stupid to in a country where he is a minority. It's grounds for dismissal in UK where he's a majority, so I doubt he'd be so stupid where he is the minority.

Is the below so unlikely?

It's not so unlikely, however, I pointed out to you that you don't realize how back things are with Nigerians under the leadership of foreign folks on our own soil. It's worse because they can get away with just anything. I've worked with them, I know how they think.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ventura Mall, Ibadan Is On Fire / Governor Buni Built 4 Modern Markets With 3,200 Shops In Yobe State (Pictures) / Nigeria Will Soon Create Digital Currency — CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.