Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME (11065 Views)

Chinese Company Renovates Public School Building In Lagos (Photos) / Private Or Public School. Which Is Better? / 16-year-old Boy Scores 311 In Utme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by ektbear: 4:39pm On Sep 15, 2011
Public School Boy Scores 310 In Utme, 75 Percent In Post --utme

15 September 2011

Students in Public schools, especially those in primary and secondary have always been treated with disdain and contempt believing that they are less privilege children as a result they can not be intelligent because their teachers cannot deliver qualitative education.

However, this notion has been debunked by Master Aduralere Jegede, sixteen-year-old, SS3 student from Ajumoni Senior Secondary School, Iyano- Isolo who scored 310 in his UTME and 75 per cent in Post UME at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) his first choice of institution.

While in SS2, Aduralere registered for the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC)examination and made 5B, A1, 2 credits and a pass. Also, as SS3 student, he made 5B and 2 credits.

When the Lagos State government took acknowledgment of his wonderful performance, Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola, recently offered him a job opportunity at Mushin Local Government Secretariat to work for two months ahead of his resumption day at UNILAG.

Aduralere who said, he prefers studying Accountancy in the university said that Accounting was his best subject in the secondary school adding that his academic performance as a public school student was due to diligence, hard work and sound foundation at school and home.

According to him, he reads six hours everyday preferring midnight hours as his best period because is void of distractions. "I developed a personal reading time table where I devoted two hours for each subject daily," he said.

Asked why he preferred public school to private, he reiterated that public schools have qualified trained teachers and holidays coaching classes for students. John however, maintained that his father, Pastor Jegede Johnson who is also a teacher in his school greatly influenced his academic performance.

"I was encouraged by my father to study. As an account teacher in my school, he took me account subject in school and at home as he often woke me up at night to study until I got used to it," he said.

Speaking with Pastor Jegede Johnson in this regard, he asserted: "I do not expect anything less from John because right from nursery school, he has been a quick learner. Whatever he learns, he never forget. We sleep in the same bed which gave me opportunity to wake him up early to read after which, he became used to it."

Jegede said that he does not believe public school students cannot compete favourably with their private school counterparts saying that though public school has their shortcomings, nonetheless, the foundation of every students, the kind of teachers in a school matter to students' success.

He ascribed the performance of teachers in class in recent time to the improved remuneration of teachers saying that the salary increase served as incentive to teachers in the State. Lagos State government, according to him is trying as it has judiciously utilized the fund giving by the World Bank.

"Lagos State at least gives two million naira to each public school which has led to great improvement in our science laboratory where we take student to for practical science. "In the time past, it was not like that but presently, students in public school in Lagos are giving books in core subject ; English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Economics," he said.

To him, revamping our education sector, the whole society has a role to play whether as government, parents or students.

Many parents he noted have failed in their role toward their children arguing that before the children wake up in the morning, parents have gone to work and arrived late at night when the children have slept without any time to cross examine the children academic performance. He urged parent to seek for time to visit their children at school to know how they are faring academically.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201109150430.html
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by ektbear: 4:40pm On Sep 15, 2011
Always good to hear stories like this.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by otokx(m): 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
Nice
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by seanet02: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
Up South West Public Primary Schools
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Greenslim: 4:51pm On Sep 15, 2011
what is wrong with public school student scoring the highest mark?
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Sep 15, 2011
I am biased.

But I think all these brainy people should be going for sciences and Engineering
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by kcpumping(m): 5:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin na nwa teacher naaa, omo teacher,what else do u xpect frm him?
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Omo yoruba doing us proud.Awo is smiling at you ! grin grin
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Beaf: 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
Greenslim:

what is wrong with public school student scoring the highest mark?

He didn't score the highest mark. He performed exceptionally for a public school student.

1 Like

Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by okundiaernest(m): 5:31pm On Sep 15, 2011
Good to hear that, i whish him the best in unilag.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by DCAT: 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2011
@ beaf, the last time i checked u were a special candidate @ the center where u wrote ur jamb.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by ade2kay(m): 5:50pm On Sep 15, 2011
dayokanu:

I am biased.

But I think all these brainy people should be going for sciences and Engineering

Seconded !
A precious brain about to be wasted on book-keeping
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2011
Just because you are good in Accounting is not an automatic ticket to be good in Science and Engineering!
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Yeske2(m): 5:58pm On Sep 15, 2011
dayokanu:

I am biased.

GBAM!!!
~Bluetooth:

Omo yoruba doing us proud.Awo is smiling at you ! grin grin
NL, PLEASE IGNORE and make no reference to it.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by tomzman: 6:03pm On Sep 15, 2011
ade2kay:

Seconded !
So what? is book keeping bad? And who told you that Accounting is all about book keeping?.Secondly, all the professors in 'your' science and engineering, of what use have they been to Nigeria.What have 'your' professors in engineering invented that has put Nigeria in the limelight. undecided   HISS.

1 Like

Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by aieromon(m): 6:28pm On Sep 15, 2011
The public school did not make him.He made his destiny.
Wishing him success as he fulfils his dreams.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by zmurda(m): 6:36pm On Sep 15, 2011
Speaking with Pastor Jegede Johnson in this regard, he asserted: "I do not expect anything less from John because right from nursery school, he has been a quick learner. Whatever he learns, he never forget. We sleep in the same bed which gave me opportunity to wake him up early to read after which, he became used to it."

Where does this man's wife sleep? On the floor?

1 Like

Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by hajifaty: 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2011
it doesn't matter whether you are attending public or private schools but everything is in your hand. If you are destiny to be olodo you will surely be. No magic
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by femmy2010(m): 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2011
Great.
Just would love our Government to make education truly free(at least up to High Sch.Level)
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by femmy2010(m): 6:53pm On Sep 15, 2011
hajifaty:

it doesn't matter whether you are attending public or private schools but everything is in your hand. If you are destiny to be olodo you will surely be. No magic

I partly agree with you that determination takes one the extra mile but not having adequate learning materials and study aids surely doesn't not get a pupil to his optimal level.
I remember my public secondary school days,we had a well stocked library and laboratory but frankly such can not be said of our present day public secondary school.
All the lands hitherto used for practical Agricultural science has been sold and teachers are left with the theoretical explanation only.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by busayochic: 7:01pm On Sep 15, 2011
Peeps public Secondary schools are not really that bad. I passed out from the same secondary school (Ajumoni secondary school), got admitted into UNILAG and I've worked with 2 telecom giants in Nigeria.

I just wish the govt would do something about the deplorable state of all public schools nationwide.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by mitofag: 7:06pm On Sep 15, 2011
Kini big deal

why did this make the front page?
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by MMM2(m): 7:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
good
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by flexibilit: 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
ade2kay:

Seconded !

MUMU 2X, your ignorance makes you think Accounting is all about book-keeping! ODE ARINDIN OLO'ORUN
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by bammo: 7:20pm On Sep 15, 2011
its all about hardwork nd determination, if u r determined nd hard working, nutin will stop u. and parents care less about dis things, its dia job 2 encourage d children but uneducated fathers dont,den wot do u expect, dats y dey say lyk father lyk son
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by wowo2: 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2011
i agree with bammo, it is down to the individual hardwork + consistency on the part of the boy. As they say, practice makes perfect, it's not the amount of time spent in class or the beautifful colour of the class room walls that matters, but ability (the boy's access to good books and reading time) + a abinibi (intelligence)
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by coogar: 7:53pm On Sep 15, 2011
dayokanu:

I am biased.

nigeria lacks such foresight. . . . .
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Debroslink: 8:08pm On Sep 15, 2011
SUCCESS IS IN YOU NOT IN THE SCHOOL[/[color=#000099]color]. KUDOS TO THE LAD.

1 Like

Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by richardoz(m): 8:12pm On Sep 15, 2011
That's good of u boy.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by member479760: 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2011
Right from time, the public school guys are always the best and most of our lecturers are products of public schools.
Re: Public School Boy Scores 310 In UTME & 75% In Post UTME by Nonymartin(m): 8:48pm On Sep 15, 2011
Education is the key. It does pay.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Commonly Mispronounced Words by Nigerians / JAMB To Close Direct Entry Application / Ondo JAMB Registration Centre Crowded (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.