Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate (1967 Views)

Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari / Impeachment: Al-makura, Lawmakers Relocate To Abuja,serve Notice Through Media / Massob Vows To Retaliate Killing Of Igbos! Wop Wop! Ghen Ghen! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ak47mann(m): 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
Following series of attacks by the Ijaws on Binis in various communities, the Binis yesterday gave notice to the Edo State Government that they were prepared to retaliate if the Ijaws refuse to co-exist peacefully on Benin land where they are tenants.

Leading a delegation of Enigies (Dukes) and village heads to Government House yesterday, the Enogie of Obazuwa, Prince Edun Akenzua told Governor Adams Oshiomhole that the Ijaws had in recent times been invading Benin communities where they had unleashed attack on Bini people, maiming them and destroying their property as well as laying claim to their land.

Prince Akenzua, who gave a historical account of various settlers on Biniland said the first Ijaw man named Efeti, who settled in Gelegele about a 100 years ago and that like the Itsekiris and Urhobos among others, the Ijaws, who now lay claim to Benin communities of Agbonmoba, Ozomu, Igbobi, Ekete, Ite, Orogo, Akenzua, Ekehuan, Okomu and Gelegele were tenants in Benin. But stressed his claim with various court judgments including Supreme Court judgment, which confirmed the Ijaws as tenants in Benin.

Prince Akenzua told Governor Oshiomhole that the latest acts of militants and aggression took place on June 3, 2011 when the Ijaws attacked the community and abducted three of their men, who were among those measuring a piece of land donated to the state government for siting a proposed model secondary school.

He explained that but for the timely arrival of policemen at Iko, where the men were taken, the Ijaw militants were ready to set their captives ablaze, even as he said one of the captives , a 58-year- old man collapsed following severe beating from the militants, who were said to have destroyed one car and five motorcycles belonging to the community.

“Your excellency, for nearly 50 years, the Ijaw settlers have perpetrated various forms of provocation against the Binis. We are finding it difficult to restrain ourselves from retaliating these unwarranted attacks,” Prince Akenzua said and warned that, “If their provocative acts and militancy continue, we will have to defend ourselves and our land.” He, therefore, on behalf of the Binis prayed Governor Oshiomhole to call the Ijaw settlers to order and protect the Okao of Gelegele and facilitate the erection of the Okao’s residence, which the Ijaw militants prevented him from erecting.

Prince Akenzua also urged the state government to facilitate the return of natives of Abiala and Ikon’Oke, who the Ijaws had driven from their homeland just as he asked the government to compel the Ijaws to accept that Gelegele was a Biniland and under the jurisdiction of the Oba of Benin.

Responding, Governor Oshiomhole thanked the people of Benin for not reacting in a way that would have led to avoidable bloodbath and pleaded with the chiefs and community leaders to continue in that spirit, promising that government would move in to find solution and ensure that no part of Benin would be ceded away from the Oba’s control.

The governor, who promised that government would treat the matter with all seriousness it deserved said the state and Federal Government would ensure that the relative peace being enjoyed in that part of the country was maintained and sustained, even as he promised to send their letter to President Goodluck Jonathan and to also find it fit to tell them to maintain peace.

“Those who want expansionist ambition should be discouraged. The authority of the Oba of Benin over land and indeed Edo, is unquestionable,” Governor Oshiomhole said, pointing out that there was enough crisis in the country and Edo did not wish to join the league of those in turmoil.

THE SUN
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ak47mann(m): 5:45pm On Sep 15, 2011
the question is, can bini people handle the strength of ijaw warlords undecided
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by udezue(m): 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2011
Do the Bini honestly think the govt will do anything about their plight? They haven't done anything to stop Jos, Borno, Benue crisis and Bini ppl think they will save them? They better get acquainted with reality and grow sharp teeth.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ak47mann(m): 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2011
^^
their governor don use style beg them to be careful cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2011
If shits happen, we all know who will lose. But really, why are Nigerains fighting Nigerians for land even though they are from the same country? :/
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
Rgp92:

If shits happen, we all know who will lose. But really, why are Nigerains fighting Nigerians for land even though they are from the same country? :/
What kind of question is this? Are you serious?
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

What kind of question is this? Are you serious?

Aint Ijaw and binis Nigerians? What are they fighting for?
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Abagworo(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2011
ak47mann:

the question is, can bini people handle the strength of ijaw warlords undecided

What a question.The history of the Benin empire is no news to any Nigerian adult.If the Benin were able to tame the fore fathers of the Ijaw and other Southern ethnic groups including the big two(Igbo and Yoruba) why can't they do the same again.Igbos say LOnye akpala Odum di n'ura aka nu odudu maka o keta o bula ebelebe" simply meaning "do not dare touch a sleeping lion on the tail cause u can't handle the outcome"
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by oduasolja: 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2011
ahh. ijaws just attacking everybody . ok oh. opc must arm itself well.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
Why are Ijaws always attacking other tribes?

The only tribe they havent attacked are the Fulanis/Hausas. Correct me if I'm wrong tho.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2011
oduasolja:

ahh. ijaws just attacking everybody . ok oh. opc must arm itself well.

LOL Abi. More amnesty money I think.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by okadaman2: 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2011
I don't believe there are more pure ijaws than Benin's. Although I see no reason for fighting. True federalism and private ownership of land will solve most of these issues.

But I must commend the ability of the Ijaws to form themselves into a loose confederacy of different "tribes" all under one Ijaw umblerra. They've achieved so much notorierity and political/militant bargaining power with that common decision.

Ijaws are smart, I hope other Nigerian groups are learning.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The only tribe they havent attacked are the Fulanis/Hausas.
That's only because distance won't let them.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

That's only because distance won't let them.

They know what will happen if they mess with Hause/Fulani
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Rgp92:

Aint Ijaw and binis Nigerians? What are they fighting for?
I am really surprised someone is asking this kind of question about Nigeria. "Nigerian" has nothing to do with this. "Nigerian" might as well not exist.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2011
Rgp92:

They know what will happen if they mess with Hause/Fulani
Apparently not. They've already called them out sometime ago, saying that they were prepared to fight them or something.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Apparently not. They've already called them out sometime ago, saying that they were prepared to fight them or something.

I hope they dont start something they cant handle.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2011
They always start something. So whether or not they can handle it shouldn't even be the question. It should be, are people prepared to stop them?
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:29pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

They always start something. So whether or not they can handle it shouldn't even be the question. It should be, are people prepared to stop them?

People will stop them trust me wink
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 6:29pm On Sep 15, 2011
But can they handle the loss?
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2011
No. I don't believe Ijo can handle the loss.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

No. I don't believe Ijo can handle the loss.

You see? Thats why im hoping they dont start something they cant win.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 7:09pm On Sep 15, 2011
They'll try anyway. They always do.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 7:10pm On Sep 15, 2011
But this time, when they try, I want them to fall, and I want them to fall hard.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ezeagu(m): 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2011
Abagworo:

What a question.The history of the Benin empire is no news to any Nigerian adult.If the Benin were able to tame the fore fathers of the Ijaw and other Southern ethnic groups including the big two(Igbo and Yoruba) why can't they do the same again.Igbos say LOnye akpala Odum di n'ura aka nu odudu maka o keta o bula ebelebe" simply meaning "do not dare touch a sleeping lion on the tail cause u can't handle the outcome"

This isn't 1692. There is no Benin military.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Rgp92: 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

But this time, when they try, I want them to fall, and I want them to fall hard.

Why bro? why do you want your fellow countryman to fall?
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by aljharem3: 7:20pm On Sep 15, 2011
Rgp92:

Why bro? why do you want your fellow countryman to fall?

coward SWerner cry well it is good for the peace of the nation undecided
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by Dede1(m): 7:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
Abagworo:

What a question.The history of the Benin empire is no news to any Nigerian adult.[b]If the Benin were able to tame the fore fathers of the Ijaw and other Southern ethnic groups including the big two(Igbo and Yoruba) why can't they do the same again.[/b]Igbos say LOnye akpala Odum di n'ura aka nu odudu maka o keta o bula ebelebe" simply meaning "do not dare touch a sleeping lion on the tail cause u can't handle the outcome"

This is an empty conjecture at best. The Bini Empire never tamed forefathers of Ndigbo. In fact, it is on record that Oba Ewuare mentioned that one of the blunders he committed was an attempted south-eastern expansionism. Bini soldiers suffered defeats in hands of Igbo warriors which forced Oba to declared the area as most treacherous.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ezeagu(m): 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2011
Dede1, Abagworo is working hard to show us that he's the most Nigerian on this forum. grin

I'm just joking, oh . . . . . . .a little.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by ChinenyeN(m): 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2011
No. They are not my fellow countrymen, and that same thing I stated is the same thing I would say for my own blood brother. Lessons are meant to be learned, regardless of who one is or who one thinks one is. So I want them to fall and fall hard.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by PhysicsQED(m): 7:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
ezeagu:

This isn't 1692. There is no Benin military.

Yeah.

Kind of makes me wonder if there is really any plot as far as retaliation or whether they're just going to wait till a Bini becomes governor of Edo state again to solve the issue.

Dede1:

This is an empty conjecture at best. The Bini Empire never tamed forefathers of Ndigbo. In fact, it is on record that Oba Ewuare mentioned that one of the blunders he committed was an attempted south-eastern expansionism. Bini soldiers suffered defeats in hands of Igbo warriors which forced Oba declared the area most treacherous.  

lol, everyone has their own version of history.

I doubt if Oba Ewuare even knew what the word "Igbo" meant, let alone trying to expand in that direction, but I'd be interested in hearing that account. I think Abagworo was referencing some of the "Delta Igbos" in his post, not the "South East" region.

Oba Ewuare did not even fight the Igala who were right next door, not to talk of expanding into the SE. What SE Igbo communities have traditions of thrashing Oba Ewuare's army?

A certain poster on this forum was even telling me about 7 sorcerers defeating a contingent of an army, even though the story itself reveals that people fled when that army invaded, so I would be interested in hearing this other account and seeing whether it stands up to scrutiny.
Re: Ijaw Attacks: Binis Serve Notice To Retaliate by PhysicsQED(m): 7:52pm On Sep 15, 2011
Everybody loses battles at some point, whether we're talking about famous warrior kings or petty swamp militants. The important thing is to succeed overall in the larger objective (expansion). However I don't think the Ijaws in that area can succeed in their expansionism in this case. There's no way that they can have any real say in Edo state after attacking Binis to claim land that they never historically owned, and the creation of the "Toru-Ebe" state will be a source of permanent and unending contention between them and another south south group. It's not a situation that has any real wins for them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: How Apo Raid Happened – SSS Officer Who Took Part In Operation / Rejoinder To The Slanderous Open Letter On Intimate Harassment In Lasu / Dayokunu: Ok.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.