Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle (40279 Views)

A Wealthy Man Visited My Office With Snake Juju For Prayer - Dr. Olukoya / Ever Experienced Or Witnessed A Miracle? Share Your Experience(s) / Is it Right To Buy Candles, Bintu, St Michaels Perfume For Prayer As Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Godszilla: 7:32am On Mar 12, 2023
Evarline Okello breaks down in tears as she tells me she is hundreds of dollars in debt, after paying a pastor to pray for her.

She lives in a tiny shack in Kibera, a vast slum in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, and can no longer provide for her four children.

Ms Okello hasn't earned anything for months, she tells me as we talk on the telephone. So when she heard about a pastor whose prayers could make life better, she wanted to see him. He asked her for $115 (£96; 15,000 Kenyan shillings).

This is known as a "seed offering": a financial contribution to a religious leader, with a specific outcome in mind.

Ms Okello borrowed the money from a friend, who took out a loan on her behalf. She had been told this pastor's prayers were so powerful that she would see a return on her money within a week.

But the miracle never came. In fact things got even worse, [/b]she says. The loan her friend took out has ballooned due to unpaid interest. She now owes more than $300, and has no idea how she'll pay it back. Her friend has stopped talking to her, and she still has no job.

[b]"Things have become so difficult I have lost all hope," she says

......cost-of-living crisis. Food prices rose by almost 16% in the 12 months before September 2022....

This has increased their desire for supernatural solutions, she says, and [i]many are now willing to pay for a miracl[/i]e, even if they have to borrow the money.

"People are being told that God doesn't want them to remain poor. So they plant a seed," she tells me.

The Prosperity Gospel has its roots in America, where it gained momentum in the early 20th Century......

...That's what happened to 26-year-old Dennis Opili. Feeling disheartened after more than three years looking for work, he asked a friend for help.

"He advised me that there is a church where you go and they pray for you. You give a certain offering, then they pray for you, then you can secure a job," Mr Opili says.

When his savings ran out he borrowed about $120 from cash apps and from friends.

"I believed in what the pastor told me, that I'll be able to secure a job. So I didn't have any problems with borrowing, because I thought eventually I'll be able to pay off the money."

But when no job appeared, Mr Opili began to suspect that he had been tricked.

...Luckily he has now managed to find piecemeal work, which has enabled him to pay back part of the money, both to the loan companies and his friends.

"I still very much believe in God," he says. "All I have to do is just be a little more careful."

......She says both congregants and local pastors at her former church were expected to give a "tithe" of 10% of their monthly income to finance the church and its leadership in Nigeria. And that was in addition to what was called "first fruit" - their entire pay packet of the first month of the year
Sarah says she saw people paying for "seed money" with their credit cards in church services.

"I remember one time at the church a lady said: 'I have been paying my tithe, and it seems like I still don't have enough money at the end of the month.'"

The pastor's response, Sarah says, was to tell people that giving was more important than paying their rent. And she says anyone who questioned why miracles were not happening was told: "You didn't pray enough, you didn't sow seed enough. You didn't have enough faith."
But it can also appeal to those living in poverty, he says.

"A church that says: 'We know that you're suffering, and we have a practical, attainable solution for you,' [/b]will be more attractive than one that preaches some elusive, systemic change."
[b]"I wouldn't say that church is bad. The church is good. It is the pastors who are doing wrong. They are the ones who are asking for money."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-64881435

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by incandescentena: 7:32am On Mar 12, 2023

Gullible sheep. To slap you dey hungry.

If na your fellow neighbor ask you for little money, food you go spit on dem face.

Eyes clear now wen men of fraud(god) chop you clean mouth.

Go collect the money back na. nonsense & mumu Emefielele

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by psucc(m): 7:37am On Mar 12, 2023
Dem no go see my shishi again. Imagine Church with POS machine and transfer for miracles.

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Faber(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2023
If you need a quick means to achieve results, go to native doctors...

As for church, no pastor can coerce God to answer your prayers. God answers when he wills.

Open your eyes, and stop being scammed by Pastorpreneurs

130 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by JASONjnr(m): 7:42am On Mar 12, 2023
This is my problem with religious ladies and I will always run away from them...

The way religion is played in Nigeria, our senses is drawn into it....

Christianity is the reason why some of us don't reason properly...

Just like gambling, Christian pastors also extort money from its members religiously and they see nothing wrong with it.

I keep asking Nigerians to watch this movie... The messenger and the message

It's about what Christian is turned into... The excessive demands of funds and request to build this and that, all because they want to expand to receive more money from these branches....

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:43am On Mar 12, 2023
That's the reason why some former 'prosperity' preachers, for instance, Benny Hinn, ditched the gospel.

It is a scam! Fall for it at your own peril.

It doesn't lead to the prosperity of many as falsely claimed.

It only prospers a few but impoverishes many because it is rooted in covetousness, which in the root of stealing, ritual killing, fraud, looting, corruption, etc., and that can never lead to the prosperity of many.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Amotolongbo(f): 7:55am On Mar 12, 2023
The pastor's response, Sarah says, was to tell people that giving was more important than paying their rent. And she says anyone who questioned why miracles were not happening was told: "You didn't pray enough, you didn't sow seed enough. You didn't have enough faith."
What is now the difference between this and gambling (bet9ja, sportybet, Baba Ijebu) they were condemning to be a sin?

23 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by AntiChristian: 9:05am On Mar 12, 2023
Another maga!

8 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Osunfunbi: 9:18am On Mar 12, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by SoftP(m): 9:18am On Mar 12, 2023
Not all biblical followers should be called sheep,
some are extremely acquiescent Ram

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by mytime24(f): 9:18am On Mar 12, 2023
Scam

7 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by jericco1(m): 9:19am On Mar 12, 2023
Well it doesn't look good

3 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by PotatoSalad(m): 9:19am On Mar 12, 2023
Not surprised.
One pastor guyman look me finish and asked me, "brother do you pay your tithe? I see you having maximum upliftment yada yada yada" Come give me his crusade leaflet and persuaded me to come.
That leaflet no follow me reach house.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Mindlog: 9:19am On Mar 12, 2023
Yahoo Pastor.

7 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by FSolar: 9:19am On Mar 12, 2023
This gap here in the Christian faith.
Encourage each other to study and meditate on the word by self. Selah!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 12, 2023
Funny enough, if they told her earlier that the pastor was scamming her, she no go gree

32 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by stillme231: 9:20am On Mar 12, 2023
How will u pay for prayer ...na wa

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Badgers14: 9:20am On Mar 12, 2023
Well, she got her miracle... all her money disappeared..

Sad society we live in this days. .. so called men and women of gawd!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by marlow1962(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2023
J
Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by money121(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2023
Ok
Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Mercury12(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2023
Faber:
If you need a quick means to achieve results, go to native doctors...

As for church, no pastor can coerce God to answer your prayers. God answers when he wills.

Open your eyes, and stop being scammed by Pastorpreneurs
The native doctors you advice people go to are same with fake pastors... They just scam in different ways and that of the native doctors is more spiritually deadly undecided

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Sonnobax15(m): 9:21am On Mar 12, 2023
lipsrsealed
This is one reason why I don't go to any church where prophesies are being given...... Firstly,e dey scatter homes.. secondly,if you no use your head well,the so-called man of God fit use you dey cash out wella

17 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:24am On Mar 12, 2023
Business centre churches.....

4 Likes

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by candidbabe(f): 9:24am On Mar 12, 2023
This was how one IDIOTIC scammer that owns a ministry in Anambra state, masquerading as a prophet deceived his members on the 31st night 2022 to sow a painful seed so as to secure their blessings for the incoming year.

And my mum was on that crossover night and she marched forward and sowed a seed of #20000 .

I was mad when I heard about it and I told her NEVER AGAIN will she sow seed to any pastor that,if she repeat it again I will stop sending upkeep money to her.

All these so called prophets of today are CRIMINALS and ARMED ROBERS on the pulpit

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!!!!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by chaseblack(m): 9:26am On Mar 12, 2023
Lol, Jesus already told you people that some will come to him claiming they performed miracles in his name - take note o this one's will even perform miracles o- but he'll say to them, 'go away for I do not know you!'.

Until you people realize that serving God doesn't automatically mean financial prosperity and God has given you a direct link to pray to him, the blood of Jesus made sure that you do not need any other intermediary other than Jesus. The only time you need a shepherd to pray for you is when you have committed a serious sin.
If you keep going through your pastor to pray to God, you are saying the sacrifice isn't enough, abi?
Continue!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by OBTOREPA(m): 9:27am On Mar 12, 2023
This is real,God will surely help us in this generation,things are getting worse every day.
False prophets here and there.
Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Righthussle: 9:27am On Mar 12, 2023
Ggfygg
Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by ReluctantAdult(m): 9:27am On Mar 12, 2023
Ah...the brainwashed lots.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by Tayorshd2(m): 9:28am On Mar 12, 2023
You can still request for the money ..

Is not that bad
Re: Paying For Prayer: I Went Into Debt, Trying To Secure A Miracle by MrBroke(m): 9:29am On Mar 12, 2023
grin Congratulations

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

No Terrorist Group Shouts ‘Jesus, Jesus’ Before Attacks – CAN Replies Soyinka / Lokoja Pastor Attempts To Heal A Mad Man And Was Beaten (Photos) / Tianmen Cave - The Gate To Heaven Discovered In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.