Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report (10821 Views)

80% Of Employees In Banks Are Casual Workers: ASSBIFI / American Military Training Is As Inhuman As That Of Nigerian Army- Pictures / Why Nigerian Companies Use Personality Assessments During Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Vifx: 4:55pm On Mar 15, 2023
Ha
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by factcheckmmm: 4:55pm On Mar 15, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
But Nigeria is #1 with the same IT USED FOR WORLD-WIDE FRAUD? grin

There are level in this
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by blueghost(m): 4:56pm On Mar 15, 2023
Funny enough IT is not respected in Nigeria even with the abundance of market
shocked
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Faposky95: 4:57pm On Mar 15, 2023
Check the new start up bill....all government
That's the problem ......
People hiding behind govt. With limited progressive ideas keep taking us down that lane.....

A free Nigeria would wrap around IT and the rest would be as they say....
History
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by ofuonyebi: 4:58pm On Mar 15, 2023
When the University graduates produce in quantities every year lacks basic IT Skills to help advance the fortunes of our industries

when the supposed graduates will use 10--quashioko-years to finish an ordinary 4-yrs course

due to various levels of strikes which keeps them several months at home watching movies!

until somebody like Jagaban comes who knows the business of Leadership

he will change the narratives to a better story for our companies to rise, shine and work again!

JUST WAIT AND SEE!!!

2 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Skillsnigeria: 4:58pm On Mar 15, 2023
Hmmm
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Blaze14k: 4:59pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tinupoo is a strategist. He will strategize yahoo boys into this field😂😂

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Ahumanbeing: 5:00pm On Mar 15, 2023
As a freelance digital marketer and self learning Cloud Engineer, I won’t even accept an offer to work in a Nigerian company with my skills.
One gig of 12 hours would actually pay my salary for the month. Someone on the first page was offered 30k for a month (12 hours times 20 days) lol, Nigerian companies are not serious. The CEO who replies emails will earn 1.5M but the Tech talent will earn 30k.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by cRAFTsVEN: 5:00pm On Mar 15, 2023
The problem is bad leadership. Nobody in their right mind will stay working at a job that does not value them or their contributions.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Ahumanbeing: 5:01pm On Mar 15, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
But Nigeria is #1 with the same IT USED FOR WORLD-WIDE FRAUD? grin
Who lied to you?
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Isabi4lov: 5:04pm On Mar 15, 2023
I want to learn
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Barywhyte(m): 5:05pm On Mar 15, 2023
One major consequence of corruption in Africa countries like Nigeria is brain drain. Talents will always go to where they are appreciated, not where mediocres are allowed to run the shows in the name of politics. 30% of top rated surgions in US are Nigerians. 30% of the bravest investment bankers in wall street are Nigerians. They or their parents left this country because of corruption and they are better for it.

My friends who are developers and working for US companies are never going to walk with local companies again because they are better paid and appreciated even for a small workload compare to Nigerian counterpart. Up until last year , I worked as SRE for US company for two years earning $82,865 per year. Which local company can match that amount in Nigeria today. I usually snubbed a lot of them when they come into my DM on LinkedIn.

Corruption is horrible and everybody including our companies are affected by its devastating impacts on talents and innovations.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by WhereMyLoud: 5:19pm On Mar 15, 2023
Banks .. Especially GT Bank.!! 🤬🤬🤬
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by WantsandMore: 5:20pm On Mar 15, 2023
BrandSpurNG:

According to a recent report released by SAP Africa, which is titled ‘Africa’s Tech Skills Scarcity Revealed’, about 80% of Nigerian companies are experiencing a technology skills gap this year due to a brain drain that is being experienced among Nigeria’s huge workforce.

The reports detail the specific challenges and opportunities for African organisation seeking greater tech skills availability.
The reports also noted that only 53% of Kenyan organisations are expected to experience a skills gap in 2024 which is lesser compared to the 80% of Nigerian companies and 73% of South African organisations.

The survey carried out on Nigerian companies revealed that the companies suffered a negative impact due to the lack of tech skills, compared to 60% in Kenya and 78% in South Africa. Organisations in Kenya and Nigeria indicated that attracting new skilled recruits was the highest tech skill challenge they faced in 2023.

Cathy Smith, the Managing Director of SAP Africa, said that there is a need for urgent investment in skills development and training to ensure that Africa capitalizes on its increasing youth population.

“More than half of the world’s population growth between now and 2050 will take place in Africa, where 1.3-billion people are expected to be born by mid-century. With the correct investment in skills development, Africa’s economy could transition away from its reliance on natural resources to build the world’s future tech workforce, bringing untold economic and social benefit to the continent and its citizens.” She said

Smith added that the study also revealed that African organisations are still facing difficulties with attracting, retaining, and upskilling suitably skilled tech workers.

The research which was conducted among organisations in Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa for the fourth quarter of 2022, disclosed that a lack of vital tech skills is having a negative effect on the continent’s digital transformation efforts. Four in five organisations that were surveyed all reported some negative effects from lack of tech skills, in which 41% of the employees reported leaving due to pressures of understaffing.
While other consequences face by the organisation includes not being able to meet client needs which was reported by 46% of the organisations, reduced capacity for innovation (53 per cent), and losing customers to competitors (60 per cent).

69% of organisations also reporteed that they expect to experience skills gap in the year ahead and according to the data, recruiting skilled new recruits, was the major challenge faced by African organisations, although the retention of skilled employees is better compared to attracting skilled recruits.

Organisation are repsonding to the tech skill challenge by ensuring they employ the ccorect tech skills needed in the orgaisation, 41% reported that upskilling existing employees would be a top priority in 2023, while 40% said they would be reskilling employees.

Cathy Smith also added that Companies are also adopting technology tools and flexible work practices to ensure they can attract, retain and mobilize the correct mix of tech skills,”

She also noted that “Seven in ten organisations currently use a human capital management or employee experience tool, while nearly half (45 per cent) of companies were open to remote work, although most want employees to be in the office at least some of the time. This new workplace dynamic will require leaders to co-create new models for work, with constant collaboration with employees to ensure alignment with company objectives and culture,”.

The study also uncovered that the most in-demand skills by organisations were cybersecurity and data analytics, developer and industry skills, and digital transformation skills. While 69% cited technical skills as an important attribute when recruiting and 66% said industry-specific skills were a top priority for them.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/03/11/80-of-nigerian-companies-lack-sufficient-it-skills-report/
not lack, just don't pay enough incentive plus some of are still tied to the Orthodox days of analog business...

3 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Horus(m): 5:22pm On Mar 15, 2023
Every Nigerian Companies should provide IT training courses for their employees
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Bfly: 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tech. is just emerging in Africa. We got huge of them in embryo already.
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by ojun50(m): 5:34pm On Mar 15, 2023
He good for them, the ones wey get small experience una no go collect them
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by KayB: 5:45pm On Mar 15, 2023
The erratic network signai will get worse if the cashless policy sails through considering the prevalent situation
The bottom line is that the IT personnel are undervalued, shortchanged with a lot of workloads hence they move abroad..
Those in Nigeria are also planning to leave the country if the trend continues

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by tunapawizzy: 5:52pm On Mar 15, 2023
Yes because either there's a shortage of skilled manpower OR the few skilled ones are grossly underpaid/unemployed OR the money that the FG should spend on IT infrastructure and human capital development is used to
1. pay bogus allowances for legislators,
2. fund president travelling to numerous countries with big advance party(who have no business on the trips),
3. appoint needless special advicers who are not going to contribute nothing to the larger economy by all state governors, and all FG agencies
4. finance political activities and lifestyle of politicians and their thugs as it is in Lagos and so many states

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by molybdenum0012: 5:56pm On Mar 15, 2023
Yes.. The future of IT is bright in Nigeria and in Africa at large. The needs for talented IT experts are so large in Africa at the moment. I am especially grateful to Alx CEO, Fred Swaniker. He has been making huge impact in training youth on various IT skills to fill the gaps.

I have been learning Software engineering for free on schorlaship all possible by his generousity and vision. Any smart nigerian who want to break into the world of IT should use that as a stepping stone. In about less than three months now I will be done with the program and my life will change for better forever.

I weep for some of our smart youths channeling their talents on scam(Yahoo). The world has gone beyond that. You can learn any skill in this world no matter hard or tough it may seem. IT skills are all available for free online theses days. All you just need is to pick anyone that interests you and devote your time to learn, unlearn and relearn. There are wolrds of oppotunities in IT sectors in Africa guys, wake up!!!

3 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Asour: 6:22pm On Mar 15, 2023
4tomandchi:
You don't need a prophet to tell you the next gold mine 2050 - 2023 = 27 years.

We the young parents of this age should point our children towards this career path not all this Mass Com. and Philosophy crap folks are wasting 4years on in the university these days.

True but why do you think more than half of the STEM graduates don't work in STEM fields today?

Because it's not true that there's a gap.

Every company will to fill any role today would get an employee — IF they can pay!

The problem is that they (employers) want to pay so little for a lot.

2 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by jericco1(m): 6:29pm On Mar 15, 2023
Xxavva214:
If you don't close clients & earn $150 within a week using Instagram, I'll send you 10k...I've got Proofs attached

Hungry man

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by peternwanji(m): 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2023
[quote author=SoftP post=121765506][b]90% of Nigerian youths are gainfully Yahoomatted,
Cashing out on Millions in Dollar$,
HK‘s…..
& u claim we don’t have ICT experts?

Your assertion is wrong Sir

grin grin
Na bad government cause am na.
Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by Jeffyblaq(m): 6:33pm On Mar 15, 2023
Some bosses can't even operate a normal email not to talk of being an IT savvy.

A local government official in a secretariat where I served around 2012 once paid me to open an email for him.. Even his password is still wit me..

U can imagine dat🙄

3 Likes

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by zrocky: 6:33pm On Mar 15, 2023
RisenJoe:
Pls where in Nigeria can I acquire an employable skill in cyber security
cousera for free

1 Like

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by JeffreyJames(m): 6:45pm On Mar 15, 2023
Ahumanbeing:
As a freelance digital marketer and self learning Cloud Engineer, I won’t even accept an offer to work in a Nigerian company with my skills.
One gig of 12 hours would actually pay my salary for the month. Someone on the first page was offered 30k for a month (12 hours times 20 days) lol, Nigerian companies are not serious. The CEO who replies emails will earn 1.5M but the Tech talent will earn 30k.

This is just it. They expect a DevOps and Cloud Engineer to be collecting ₦300k on site job, when foreign companies are offering $5000+ per month to work remotely?😂 And he can have 2-3 of said Jobs, working from home. Nigerian companies are not ready to evolve.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by JeffreyJames(m): 6:48pm On Mar 15, 2023
Asour:

True but why do you think more than half of the STEM graduates don't work in STEM fields today?

Because it's not true that there's a gap.

Every company will to fill any role today would get an employee — IF they can pay!

The problem is that they (employers) want to pay so little for a lot.

Exactly!! Covid opened the eyes of many companies abroad. Many tech guys in Nigeria work remotely for companies abroad because the pay is outrageous lol. And it's not like Nigerian companies can't compete, it's just their greed and lack of foresight that's killing them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report by ZombieSlayer1: 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2023
Shithole country and the funny part is the citizens keep electing useless leaders.

I completed my NYSC years ago and started working remotely for a company in US. This was even before I travelled abroad. Tell me why I'll work and get paid 200k monthly when I was earning upwards of 700k without having to leave my house.

Now, I do more of management while my remote workforce handle the day-to-day operations of my web-based businesses

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get A Job Abroad From Nigeria – Top 5 Trending Skills To Consider / 28 Oil Workers Trapped, 100 Rescued In Conoil Fire Accident In Bayelsa / How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.