Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,342 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (33883 Views)

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million / For Those Who Love Canada (pix) / What I Saw While Trying To Renew My Nigerian Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Chetas81(m): 1:03pm On Mar 14, 2023
Everything's about the Nigeria citizens remain problem unsolved both home and abroad

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by MVLOX(m): 1:03pm On Mar 14, 2023
Hope dis no be joke cha...
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by DrySaliva: 1:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
Funny
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by shadrach77: 1:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Why is it that most people who relocate abroad suddenly become YouTubers and bloggers?
The answer is simple. They believe they've made it in life cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by sokunji(m): 1:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
This lady has been making funny videos for a long time.. she's a comedian
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by owunabastard: 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2023
Which jealousy? what they said is true, you have shown you are a lady by taking this girl drama serious. Women will always be women, reasoning emotionally and being dramatic (fake)
Sheistoopretty:
See Dem up there venting their angry, jealousy and frustrations on the poor innocent lady as if she's the one who cursed ur lives grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerian men are just Us*less.....All of them grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by BRATISLAVA: 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2023
Bankowner:
As long as you speak basic English, the average Canadian will hear you. The way you have an accent is the same way the Canadian does.

The Nigerian accent is the reason Nigerians spell badly. It doesn't accommodate proper pronunciation. It is a heavy accent to listen to.

Even after spending 30 years living anywhere in the world, you will always know it's a Nigerian because "dey can't pronowns tins correkly". Dee tin is easy to notice.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by deyplay: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
ednut1:
to chase clout, to cure loneliness, to make some money if the channel blows etc. Canadian accent is not that hard and canadian dont have problems hearing us. This babe is lying
Canadian accent is even similar to Yankee. So if u speak Yankee well, coast is clear

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by lizko(m): 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
Because un employment in Nigeria mostly have mass followeship, making every frustrated youth especially southners looking for links, tips or proceses on how to travel out, so people that succeed in traveling will start mentoring people back home using it as passive income some pay to book a section with them. So it also make them have more fans, from there they start gaining avert or Facebook can be paying them big if they succeed in monitoizing the page
thesicilian:
Why is it that most people who relocate abroad suddenly become YouTubers and bloggers?

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by shegzhkn: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
ednut1:
to chase clout, to cure loneliness, to make some money if the channel blows etc. Canadian accent is not that hard and canadian dont have problems hearing us. This babe is lying
Canadian accent or General North American accent??
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by BigCowHornn: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Light and Internet is free even if you are homeless and the kind of computer devices you pick in the dust in there are the same ones they ship down here and sell costly as second hand in the market.

The thing is white people don't wait for these things to spoil before throwing away. They often buy new ones each year

That's why if you buy bulk non tested some work and others don't

Bottom line all you need for these online business is very free there. Just look around

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ariesbull: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
either cos of no job or they are bored

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ariesbull: 1:10pm On Mar 14, 2023
BigCowHornn:

Light and Internet is free even if you are homeless and the kind of computer devices you pick in the dust in there are the same ones they ship down here and sell costly as second hand in the market.

The thing is white people don't wait for these things to spoil before throwing away. They often buy new ones each year

That's why if you buy bulk non tested some work and others don't

Bottom line all you need for these online business is very free there. Just look around
una go just Dey fool una self...who told you light and internet is free

Nobody pucks any computer in the dust there ...they still sell second hand clothes, phones and computers

No Dey lie

Mugu

8 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Skillsnigeria: 1:10pm On Mar 14, 2023
Okay
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by FuckDModz: 1:11pm On Mar 14, 2023
Attention seeking Mugu
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Aplaudez(m): 1:12pm On Mar 14, 2023
Attention seeker
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Sleekfingers: 1:12pm On Mar 14, 2023
Sheistoopretty:
See Dem up there venting their angry, jealousy and frustrations on the poor innocent lady as if she's the one who cursed ur lives grin grin grin grin grin

Including your useless father

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Eriokanmi: 1:14pm On Mar 14, 2023
ednut1:
The babe isn't lying anything. I have a doctor friend who once faced this difficulty, if you truly live in Canada, I can post her name and facility so you can find her.

When she first landed, those Canadians would prefer to go to another doctor to attend to them and avoid my friend, just because of her accent. Later on, some of them, who don't care would go to her. There was a comment section where every patient had to give their responses to Dr's care. Guess what? A lot of them opened up that the reason they always avoided her was because of her poor accent. Others said they didn't hear what she was saying so they always avoided her. Some said , despite her poor accent, she remained a good doctor. Some , after hearing those good reports changed their minds and were always going to her for examination and treatment.

Today, Jumoke has one of the best private hospitals in Canadian province where she lives. Google Jumoke Agbii so you know what I'm saying.

3 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Ishilove: 1:14pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
She is a very popular Instagram skitmaker and comedienne. I've forgotten her name but she relocated last year

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by shegzhkn: 1:15pm On Mar 14, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

The Nigerian accent is the reason Nigerians spell badly. It doesn't accommodate proper pronunciation. It is a heavy accent to listen to.

Even after spending 30 years living anywhere in the world, you will always know it's a Nigerian because "dey can't pronowns tins correkly". Dee tin is easy to notice.
Lol, what do you mean ?? cos you have accent by using the rules of ur first language to speak English. Don't think the general Nigerian accent is heavy, try Russia.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Eriokanmi: 1:16pm On Mar 14, 2023
ednut1:
The babe isn't lying anything. I have a doctor friend who once faced this difficulty, if you truly live in Canada, I can post her name and facility so you can find her.

When she first landed, those Canadians would prefer to go to another doctor to attend to them and avoid my friend, just because of her accent. Later on, some of them, who don't care would go to her. There was a comment section where every patient had to give their responses to Dr's care. Guess what? A lot of them opened up that the reason they always avoided her was because of her poor accent. Others said they didn't hear what she was saying so they always avoided her. Some said , despite her poor accent, she remained a good doctor. Some , after hearing those good reports changed their minds and were always going to her for examination and treatment.

Today, Jumoke has one of the best private hospitals in Canadian province where she lives. Jumoke Agbii is her name. She's in Calgary
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by xavuv: 1:16pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Like a comrade below said, money can be made from YouTube videos. But if Canada is so drenched with jobs why going the YouTube way....

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by macrodata(m): 1:18pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Boredom. They have no friends and crave intimacy & affection. Thank God for social media.

3 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Faposky95: 1:20pm On Mar 14, 2023
Sheistoopretty:

That's quite a long line of machismo.....
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Decent09(m): 1:20pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Ah no work to survive on now,

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Larryndelaw: 1:21pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Because internet/Data is cheap . It's like Fee. You can stay on it 24hrs. So they can talk all the rubbish they like

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ednut1(m): 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2023
Eriokanmi:

Today, Jumoke has one of the best private hospitals in Canadian province where she lives. Jumoke Agbii is her name. She's in Calgary
interaction between a doctor and a sales person in her case are not the same. She wanted heater and if the man could not hear here she could have spelt it or use google to show him pictures. For a doctor it’s different we pronounce many of the illnesses wrongly like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions, obesity etc.

3 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ppogba: 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

What is the relationship between accent and spelling? Does it mean people with higher degree even in English language spell badly?

Even if you live in a foreign land for 30 years after getting there in your adulthood, a change in accent at that point in time is nothing but fake accent.

Arsene Wenger has been speaking english for decades yet, his accent has not changed. Perhaps, he is a Nigerian too.

I do realize the fact that Nairaland accommodates both the foolish and the wise. By their fruit you shall know them.

6 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Asour: 1:27pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

It's from your bias.

1. You have zero remote knowledge of the number of people who go abroad monthly.

2. 'Most' meaning at least more than half. So you mean 51% + of diasporans.

3. Social media has reached high saturation levels. So many(including diasporans) feel free to create content that go viral. This virality causes you to think half are.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by damosky12(m): 1:28pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Those places are not for the weak. People need as much side hustle as they can get to keep afloat. Rent and other bills are on a monthly basis.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by WelcomeToBiafra: 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2023
Demand the refunds of your education fees from your Nigeria educational sectors and information sector for formating over 200,000,000 people in Nigeria with wrong education and curriculums.
Can't you see that Nigeria language is not recognized in the world, Nigeria language make you sounds & looks violence/vawlence to other countries.

Heater sounds make you look like when a dog that is hungry/starved of cash.

Nigeria is not save for citizens, everybody running away from Nigeria for surviving.

Las las everybody will returned home with Biafra Airways.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ppogba: 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2023
Eriokanmi:

I do not doubt the story of your friend but believe me if she were French or Indian, even with the accent they will have less issues with that. Talking about black doctors especially when they sense that you are still struggling with the accent, the reaction will always be like that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

155 Nigerians Stranded In Russia After World Cup Return Home(photos) / My Near Crash Experience With Arik Air Yesterday / Anambra Int'l Airport: Airpeace Is Ready To Deploy Planes- Allen Onyema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.