Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,137 members, 7,829,069 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (33919 Views)

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million / For Those Who Love Canada (pix) / What I Saw While Trying To Renew My Nigerian Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by SIRTee15: 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

The Nigerian accent is the reason Nigerians spell badly. It doesn't accommodate proper pronunciation. It is a heavy accent to listen to.

Even after spending 30 years living anywhere in the world, you will always know it's a Nigerian because "dey can't pronowns tins correkly". Dee tin is easy to notice.

It's like u never hear a typical Indian man speak English or eastern European. Even some Scottish accent na war.
All those polished accent u encounter amongst foreigners is as a result of living in English speaking countries for years.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by hahn(m): 3:29pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Why is it that most people who relocate abroad suddenly become YouTubers and bloggers?

Plenty data and electricity grin

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by GolDRoger: 3:35pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Why is it that most people who relocate abroad suddenly become YouTubers and bloggers?

You probably don't know her.
Sister Benefit.🤣🤣
She has been a youtuber before she travelled, she's also a verified tiktoker.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:00pm On Mar 14, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

If your submission is a measure of your fruit, you must be of the former type of person accommodated here.

Why do Nigerians talk about going on their kneels? Isn't it because they call them kneels? The hair they refer to is actually air, hears actually ears. You will not see Arsene writing ze way to victory iz persistence, but you will see a Nigerian writing bisham instead of Beecham's. Because that's how Nigerians say it.

And the fact that you use a man with translators at his beck and call as the pinnacle of speaking English, it is enough to distinguish the fools from the wise. A man whose country speaks only French is used for comparison, meanwhile English is Nigeria's lingua franca. Is that dishonesty or the nectar of the fruit of foolishness dribbling from the mind that conjured it?

'Hair' is not pronounced as 'air', and 'hears' as 'ears', my dear!

The 'h' in them is not silent as is obtainable in 'honour'.

Check out their phonetic transcriptions

You guys should stop giving wrong teachings boldly in this social media
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by emapeteum(m): 4:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
The lady is lying
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by wildikeman(m): 4:31pm On Mar 14, 2023
Heat er....hahahhahah

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Powersurge: 5:00pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Bills na your mate? grin

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Enemyofpeace: 5:47pm On Mar 14, 2023
Rubbish! You just wan show off to your village people sey you don japa. Mtcheeeeeeew
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Enemyofpeace: 5:47pm On Mar 14, 2023
emapeteum:
The lady is lying
no mind am
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Laple0541(m): 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2023
This one na mumu craving for cheap popularity online, can't you use another synonym of the former was not understood?

Even if you learn assent for 20years you can't pronounce like a white person, just be yourself and move on.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Exceed15: 7:46pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

I tire o

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by ndidibabe(f): 8:04pm On Mar 14, 2023
hahn:

Plenty data and electricity grin
At a huge cost!
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Johnjustice: 8:26pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
Side hustle.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Loneliness and depression

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by jaxxy(m): 8:54pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:

Boredom undecided

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Cromagnon: 9:00pm On Mar 14, 2023
thesicilian:
loneliness
Get rich quick
Side hustle

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by rickleye: 9:08pm On Mar 14, 2023
ednut1:
to chase clout, to cure loneliness, to make some money if the channel blows etc. Canadian accent is not that hard and canadian dont have problems hearing us. This babe is lying

lol ... It is either she went to a Chinese store in Ontario . Canada is a big place.

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by OfficialSam(m): 10:44pm On Mar 14, 2023
Sheistoopretty:
See Dem up there venting their angry, jealousy and frustrations on the poor innocent lady as if she's the one who cursed ur lives grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerian men are just Us*less.....All of them grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your father is useless too.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by pansophist(m): 12:13am On Mar 15, 2023
Fun fact.

There are more Nigerian YouTubers in Canada than in Nigeria itself grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Sholuwa241: 12:24am On Mar 15, 2023
Sheistoopretty:
See Dem up there venting their angry, jealousy and frustrations on the poor innocent lady as if she's the one who cursed ur lives grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerian men are just Us*less.....All of them grin grin grin grin grin grin
people like you will later pay tinager boy to Bleep that dry and expire Toto of yours when men no gree Manage full

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by PhilzChrist: 12:24am On Mar 15, 2023
thesicilian:

if you don't know anything Just Keep quiet.
That is Jessiekay, A skit maker.
You can check facebook for it.
She is making her money from skit here in Nigeria before travelling to canada.

Do more research than making comments
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by sallyopy(f): 12:35am On Mar 15, 2023
thesicilian:
boredom. No one else to talk to but urself unlike home where u can easily visit family and friends. most people especially the extroverts take advantage of social media to kill boredom.

2 Likes

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Bankowner: 5:51am On Mar 15, 2023
You should respect Nigerians when it comes to English language.

I am in school here, we write a lot of reflections in each of the courses and I have received wonderful comments from professors about my writing skills. And they do not find it difficult hearing me and my other Nigerian coursemates.

Some Canadians speak English in fast, long and winding bursts and I always wonder how they breathe as they do but if you pay attention, you'll grab one or two things otherwise, you just nod your head in agreement.

I agree that pronunciation is a problem and that is why you have to learn. It is not a crime to. And that is why it is good to enroll in a program here, it makes your integration smoother.
BRATISLAVA:

The Nigerian accent is the reason Nigerians spell badly. It doesn't accommodate proper pronunciation. It is a heavy accent to listen to.

Even after spending 30 years living anywhere in the world, you will always know it's a Nigerian because "dey can't pronowns tins correkly". Dee tin is easy to notice.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Coquinoqui: 6:06am On Mar 15, 2023
thesicilian:

Most of them are in the UK Infact 80% the rest 15% are in Canada 5% rest of the world. I rearly see bloggers from the US

1 Like

Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by BRATISLAVA: 7:15am On Mar 15, 2023
Bankowner:
You should respect Nigerians when it comes to English language.

I am in school here, we write a lot of reflections in each of the courses and I have received wonderful comments from professors about my writing skills. And they do not find it difficult hearing me and my other Nigerian coursemates.

Some Canadians speak English in fast, long and winding bursts and I always wonder how they breathe as they do but if you pay attention, you'll grab one or two things otherwise, you just nod your head in agreement.

I agree that pronunciation is a problem and that is why you have to learn. It is not a crime to. And that is why it is good to enroll in a program here, it makes your integration smoother.

Thanks for your educated response.

I don't have a problem with the Nigerian accent, as every country has an accent. My problem would be pronounciation. It's what makes understanding Nigerians difficult.

When it comes to writing, most are capable. I would say Nigerians are better at writing in English than some English owners.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by MASTERMIND04(m): 8:35am On Mar 15, 2023
Lol
This lady is funny.
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Regex: 11:39am On Mar 15, 2023
pansophist:
Fun fact.

There are more Nigerian YouTubers in Canada than in Nigeria itself grin

😂 😂
Re: JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) by Shhhh01(f): 1:25pm On Mar 17, 2023
im sad for her. lol

Bvlgari:
How my Nigerian accent failed me in Canada - Nigerian Lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RnhnkWPkQ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young Lady Travels Around Nigeria Via Train In 14 Days [photos] / Passenger That Caused The Dana Air Emergency Door Incident Has Been Identified. / Abuja-Kaduna Road Accident Claims 22 Lives As Bus Goes Up In Flames (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.