Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! (2280 Views)

ALX SE Or Decagon SE - Which Is Better? / I Just Quit ALX Programme / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ManAdii: 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2023
I always see people posting "congratulations to me I have been accepted" I have never seen "I have graduated".

I am curious, where are the graduates of this program?

1 Like

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by numtums(m): 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2023
ManAdii:
I always see people posting "congratulations to me I have been accepted" I have never seen "I have graduated".

a very few graduate, it's actually not an easy program. 40hrs a week

2 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ManAdii: 9:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
numtums:

a very few graduate, it's actually not an easy program. 40hrs a week
It's actually 70hrs/wk for software engineering not 40.

2 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Ayobammi20: 10:46pm On Mar 14, 2023
I have applied for it twice but I have not completed any

1 Like

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Sapeleboy911(m): 12:21am On Mar 15, 2023
Even though the curriculum and tasks are top-notch as they are practically driven. But the time frame for me is too short. 70 hours a week, learning the Linux command line and its default text editors like vim and emacs, git & github, C, Python, SQL, Javascript, and a whole lot of others all in a year. Many students defer or quit entirely due to burnout and imposter syndrome.

Although there has been some great improvement in terms of the deferral process. Now those who defer don't have to start all over again, they resume with the next cohort, starting from where they deferred. That for me is a huge plus.

4 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by numtums(m): 8:42am On Mar 15, 2023
ManAdii:

It's actually 70hrs/wk for software engineering not 40.
Thanks for the correction
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by techliteup: 11:01pm On Mar 23, 2023
ALX, if u don't have any programming language background abeg no waste ur time with ALX. Because u will end up as a copy and paste programmer.

Instead go on youtube or buy courses from udemy.

6 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Sleekcode: 4:58am On Mar 24, 2023
What are they even doing there?

Everything Nigerian must involve stress and unnecessary suffering.

At the end of the day they'd end up producing half baked copy paste programmers and so-called developers.

For me those guys are 100% after investors Kesh and funding and don't give 2 craps about you guys.

Very hard for Nigerian to give you something supposedly worth 1000s of dollars 100% free without getting something juicy back in return.

5 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by IhateRetards: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Yes
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by MacDodger: 5:38pm On May 20, 2023
@Brunel I’m also on the salesforce path with you, are you based in Lagos?
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ChngedChnges(m): 6:35am On May 21, 2023
Sleekcode:

At the end of the day they'd end up producing half baked copy paste programmers and so-called developers.

For me those guys are 100% after investors Kesh and funding and don't give 2 craps about you guys.

Very hard for Nigerian to give you something supposedly worth 1000s of dollars 100% free without getting something juicy back in return.

Sorry its not nigerian based, neither is the founder a Nigerian
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Contekbbc: 7:20am On May 21, 2023
techliteup:
ALX, if u don't have any programming language background abeg no waste ur time with ALX. Because u will end up as a copy and paste programmer.

Instead go on youtube or buy courses from udemy.

Spot on
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Sapeleboy911(m): 4:45pm On May 21, 2023
Alx is more about time than being a beginner or professional in programming. Time is a huge factor. If you don't have or make out time for the program, you will suffer from burnout and imposter syndrome, thereby ending up as a ctr-v expert.

Although I'm not a complete beginner to Linux, in just 3 months I learned so much about the Linux OS even more than what I learned in a year from youtube videos and Udemy courses about the Linux and UNIX OS in general.

Those Udemy courses and youtube videos are more like do as I do and hold my hands. But ALX forces you to implement what you have learned in different case scenarios. They teach you not just how to code in this or that language, but software engineering at its core.

As a graduate of the ALX software engineering program, you can work in cyber security, web development, DevOps, etc. It teaches you a lot about knowing how to read the fucking docs and find solutions to your coding issues.

All in all, if you can't dedicate at least 6 hours daily to the ALX software engineering program STAY clear. And if you are an introvert, you might face issues, because ALX is built around networking and community learning.

5 Likes

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Brunel(m): 8:09am On May 22, 2023
MacDodger:
@Brunel I’m also on the salesforce path with you, are you based in Lagos?
No, I'm not.
What Salesforce Path are you on?
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by TAGf(m): 9:12am On May 22, 2023
My friend just graduated from Alx se, me wey drop out from the program cos of light issue.

1 Like

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by MacDodger: 11:14pm On May 22, 2023
Brunel:

No, I'm not.
What Salesforce Path are you on?
It is also the Salesforce Admin, I have to do the associates certification before the admin.

1 Like

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by IhateRetards: 12:12pm On May 30, 2023
Yes like me
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Olatundeawo(m): 4:10pm On May 30, 2023
Sapeleboy911:
Alx is more about time than being a beginner or professional in programming. Time is a huge factor. If you don't have or make out time for the program, you will suffer from burnout and imposter syndrome, thereby ending up as a ctr-v expert.

Although I'm not a complete beginner to Linux, in just 3 months I learned so much about the Linux OS even more than what I learned in a year from youtube videos and Udemy courses about the Linux and UNIX OS in general.

Those Udemy courses and youtube videos are more like do as I do and hold my hands. But ALX forces you to implement what you have learned in different case scenarios. They teach you not just how to code in this or that language, but software engineering at its core.

As a graduate of the ALX software engineering program, you can work in cyber security, web development, DevOps, etc. It teaches you a lot about knowing how to read the fucking docs and find solutions to your coding issues.

All in all, if you can't dedicate at least 6 hours daily to the ALX software engineering program STAY clear. And if you are an introvert, you might face issues, because ALX is built around networking and community learning.

Well said bro, they force you to think on your own
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ChemicalReaction(f): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2023
Sleekcode:

ALX is not a Nigerian skill acquisition programme. It's owned by Fred Swaniker, a Ghanaian. Their programmes can be demanding but life-changing.
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by TheTraveler: 8:35pm On Aug 27, 2023
ChemicalReaction:

ALX is not a Nigerian skill acquisition programme. It's owned by Fred Swaniker, a Ghanaian. Their programmes can be demanding but life-changing.

Whether it’s owned by a Nigerian or not. The point is that they’re getting heavy funding, they partnered with MasterCard.
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Slimdan360: 9:14am On Aug 28, 2023
ManAdii:

That programme is a crazy one. How can I apply to learn software engineering and you are giving me tasks to call someone and interview them. Then give a report after the interview. Like seriously?
I applied but after seeing where the program is going, I left on my own. The best thing for me to do is to learn at my own pace. I nor get strength for deadlines and mumu tasks
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ManAdii: 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2023
Slimdan360:

That programme is a crazy one. How can I apply to learn software engineering and you are giving me tasks to call someone and interview them. Then give a report after the interview. Like seriously?
I applied but after seeing where the program is going, I left on my own. The best thing for me to do is to learn at my own pace. I nor get strength for deadlines and mumu tasks

You sure say na mumu task or you're just lazy...
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Dumte(m): 5:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
The program is highly difficult. They intentionally make it tough

1 Like

Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by Passionnfruit(f): 10:27am On Aug 31, 2023
ChngedChnges:

Sorry its not nigerian based, neither is the founder a Nigerian

I think the founder is a Kenyan, as their headquarters is based in Kenya. Precisely Nairobi,I guess.
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ManAdii: 12:20pm On Sep 03, 2023
It's been 7 months since I created this thread and here I am. We keep going strong by the day doing hard things.

I now know that web developer doesn't end with html css and javascript.
Re: Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! by ChngedChnges(m): 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2023
TheTraveler:

Whether it’s owned by a Nigerian or not. The point is that they’re getting heavy funding, they partnered with MasterCard.
Lol... grin grin grin that should be your least concern.
You should be focused on how to make the best out of it

(1) (Reply)

Female Programmers In Nigeria? / Developing Desktop Application Using Actionscript / I Study Computer Sciences In A Finnish University. Ask Me Anything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.