Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,908 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Buying My First Car - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buying My First Car (51794 Views)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying My First Car by Otilaw: 6:41pm On Mar 15, 2023
Germanhunter:
So please ..Help me get my wish and I will reciprocate with 2k each for any tangible help I get here ..Kosowo ni naija(no money in Nigeria) but there will always be a way for Gods people ..so please you can help with advice and flags to look out for y (both Green and Red)..

I appreciate you all

I can help you get a very clean Nigeria used Camry 2004 because i deal with car dealer and their agents here in Lagos. i also have Camry 2012 SE a very clean and neat Nigeria used for sale but it goes for 5M last price.
Re: Buying My First Car by DesireV: 6:41pm On Mar 15, 2023
Icon4s:
In Nigeria of today, N1.8 million can only get you a Naija used car that will make you know all the mechanics in your area. You will lose your sleep, peace of mind and appetite. All your salary will continue to go into repairs of the vehicle.

Naija is a messed up country else I would have asked you to invest the money somewhere for now, but which investment is viable in Nigeria of today?

Motor no be wetin person dey save 5k per month to buy. In Nigeria of today, for you to buy a vehicle that will make sense, you need nothing less than N4m for sedan and N6m for SUV.

Sorry if my post breaks your heart but that is just the reality.

All the best.
Germanhunter, print this post and paste it on your door, so that you can be seeing it each time you're going out of your house.

No matter what, don't buy a naija used car if you don't know the owner personally.
If you must buy a naija used, then avoid any dealer/agent with any of the following lines "clean title, nothing to fix, used by a woman/banker, barely driven, ** months used etc". If possible, buy only from direct owner and be very certain of why he's selling.
Also, avoid random mechanics. It's easy for them to get induced by the seller just to offload the junk to you. Shitty mechanics full this Nairaland too, it's not only by scanner.

With the cost implications of getting a replacement, I doubt anyone whose car isn't giving him problem will want to sell except if they're traveling out, or financially distressed or not very likely, an upgrade. Imagine someone who got a sound toks 2005 camry at 1.8m in 2021 who has maintained it well till date and the car is still sound. If he sells it even at 2.5m today, 2.5m can't get another toks 2005 camry today, whether sound or not. If he adds 2m to it to make it 4.5m, he'll sweat to get a toks muscle that will give him the kind peace his 2005 camry dey give him. So, nobody go tell him to be using his 2m to be drinking yogurt while cruising his peaceful 2005 camry jejely

Strive and aim for a toks with a detailed usage history from d country of origin.
Better make you they climb bike with peace than buy a car that will pieces your peace. If car stress you for a day, you'll hate cars.

All the best

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car by lordaltruist(m): 6:43pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

One of us @ wan do Give away with the below o....
For one lucky reader....
You not gonna pay a dime.
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉
Clean and in perfect condition.
The Air condition is outta this world 🌎 mehn!
Our favorite part of the car for this hot season.

God is the Ultimate Boss sir.

Mention the name and model of the car and 'e fit be u ooooo'

Nissan Altima 2015 Model
Re: Buying My First Car by ahmedio2017(m): 6:43pm On Mar 15, 2023
Why not go for Opel zafira bro
Try it out n you won't regret it
Re: Buying My First Car by sholikay(m): 6:45pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

This should be Nissan altima 2015😄😄..

Nice interior though..
Re: Buying My First Car by nwetadinobi042(m): 6:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
I go say make you have more patience and save more make the money go up small but please 🙏🏾 what are you into or doing that is giving you the 5K daily to even save. Help a brother
Germanhunter:
First I started with daily 5k …my projection was by mid this year I could get a Benz, but omo saving money is extra HARD in Naija.
Lorokan sha (in one word), I have saved up 1.8 million so far and I THINK i will like to get a car now
Yes, it’s not much to get my dream car but I feel it’s definitely ok to get started ..I am flexible with my plan…keep upgrading my cars when I get the chance and before I know it, I may get my BENZ…it’s hard I know but I can do it and I am sure of it……
Re: Buying My First Car by Westwood2580: 6:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
saphiere:
Invest that money in your woman or mother. U for kukuma say make e invest am on top ur head.

E get y
Re: Buying My First Car by olakrim(m): 6:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

2015 Nissan Altima 2.5
Re: Buying My First Car by Sirchiboy: 6:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
realogk:

Lmaooo wait how much do people pay?
Paid 35k for one month at Beacon driving school in ph.
I regret I swear
Re: Buying My First Car by blackgold2018(m): 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2023
Engrchoko:

1.8m won’t even get you a good Nigerian used. My advice, keep saving, to avoid getting one that you will regret.
it’s not true Unless you are lucky. I bought my 2006 Nigerian used Camry at 1.7 last year.

I was just lucky the car was and still in a good shape.
Re: Buying My First Car by BrutusOj(m): 6:55pm On Mar 15, 2023
fixitbyjal:

Lol

Im ready to sell my soul and spirit this coming week

Mumu
If you like sell your ancestors join. Go and do something legitimate to feed yourself and stop disgracing your generation online.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by boldtruthalways: 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2023
candyguyofficia:
You can save up more and buy a clean 2006 Camry or 2008 Accord or 2010 Accord (the latter is a better option in Honda)

Use due diligence before paying. Make sure you go with a mechanic (who has a scan tool) and pay the mechanic for his time whether he advise you to buy the car or not.

Check underneath the car for rust.
Good advice. How much can be saved more to get the clean one? Pls advise.
Re: Buying My First Car by EnterpriseMan: 6:58pm On Mar 15, 2023
Germanhunter:
Continued…….
I will be needing (please) the help of the gurus here to choose the best ride for that price (1.8m) at most ….

My options
A clean Toyota Camry (2004 ——)
A clean Honda civic (2006 ——-)
And the cleanest and best cars available fr my price range
(By clean I mean body , interior ,gear and engine)

I have been a nairalander for a couple of years and I know that if there is a place I can get help or get scammed then it’s here on nairaland but then so also anywhere else has its + / -

Go for a camry or Corolla, you can then register for uber partners and earn alot of extra cash monthly. Within a year or 2 from the uber funds, you can then get a benz of your choice.

Starting with a benz isn't recommended. Benz is a luxury car which is very expensive to maintain.

wish you the best bro, your dream is going to come through sooner than you expect. Keep grinding 👍👍

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by FireUpNow(m): 6:59pm On Mar 15, 2023
Don't buy Naija used but tokunbo is your best bet
Re: Buying My First Car by fixitbyjal(m): 7:00pm On Mar 15, 2023
BrutusOj:
If you like sell your ancestors join. Go and do something legitimate to feed yourself and stop disgracing your generation online.

Ill feed your family for a lifetime

I work you lost soul

I was only joking about the 1k
I make a decent income ozuor

This nl na cruise I swear

Or you want me to screen shot my account balance for you so you will know I just dey play
Re: Buying My First Car by KarinaSlim(f): 7:01pm On Mar 15, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Where do you based?
Remember that driving is all about self confidence.
You must bashed car after learning.
I Broke rear mirror two times and dint the body.
So be careful and remember that reversing is the most important aspect of driving.
Moving the car forward is not hard but reversing is very hard.
Know how to use the trafficator, how to wheel the steering and know the road rules.
Good luck.

Yeah.
I believe going to the driving school will help build that required self confidence and I would be taught all u have outlined above.

I also know it's takes practice too to be perfect.

Thanks alot.
And yeah....I base in Lagos.
Re: Buying My First Car by Wambiz(m): 7:07pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

Nissan Almera 2010-2015 Model
Mostly used as official cars
Re: Buying My First Car by BrutusOj(m): 7:10pm On Mar 15, 2023
fixitbyjal:

I work you lost soul

Or you want me to screen shot my account balance for you so you will know I just dey play

cheesy..when a perpetual beggar is bursted on a public forum, he starts forming cruise. The play, if you like don't go and hustle to eat. Hunger will damage your intestine grin

2 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car by Ylink4sure: 7:12pm On Mar 15, 2023
Nissan Ultima 2.5, year 2013 model

post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

Re: Buying My First Car by fixitbyjal(m): 7:14pm On Mar 15, 2023
BrutusOj:
cheesy..when a perpetual beggar is bursted on a public forum, he starts forming cruise. The play, if you like don't go and hustle to eat. Hunger will damage your intestine grin

Na iphone I dey sell
I don make your entire salary for the year on just a phone deal

Oyah ....kill yourself
Re: Buying My First Car by Dirtyyansh: 7:14pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tokunbo Toyota camry 2004 will cost nothing less than 2.5m.

Keep the money in the bank and save up.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by IMMUNO1(m): 7:19pm On Mar 15, 2023
Congrats bros. It is not easy to save money in such way these days. Well, if I may contribute, there are a lot of factors that will influence the choice you make on your first car Viz:

1: Your nature of income. Steady or flexible. If it is steady, then hold on till like this midyear and get a direct tokumbo car. If it is flexible, then, plan towards emergency repairs and unannounced needs for servicing, so you don't leave the car on the road one day and trek for 2 weeks.

2: Age and future plans. What is your age. Have you settled down already? What are other things that will unavoidably demand for the attention of your money in the nearest future? That's going to inform your choice of the first car cos you may end up with it for years.

3: Possibilities for your income growth. What is the source of your money? Do you see your financial strength doubling, tripling or even catapulting in the next 2-3 years. If yes, you can get whatever you want now but if no, you need to get something that can carry you for the next four years or more.

Advice: Don't rush just to buy a car with this income in your hands now. Pretend you still haven't completed the money while you look for opportunities to get a great car at the cheapest rate you never thought possible.

Place more emphasis on the body strength of the car than the engine. You can always replace the engine but not the body.

Wishing you all the best.

5 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car by anomaly20: 7:27pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

Nissan Altima 2016 model it is a sedan
Re: Buying My First Car by anomaly20: 7:28pm On Mar 15, 2023
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

Nissan Altima 2016 model it is a Sedan
Re: Buying My First Car by MalbakOscar(m): 7:29pm On Mar 15, 2023
THESE ARE ADVICE I'M GIVING FROM EXPERIENCE on things I believe a 1st timer should know before paying for that car.

My 1st Advice:
DON'T BUY A NIGERIAN USED CAR IF IT WAS DRIVEN IN LAGOS. ESPECIALLY ON THE MAINLAND.
Most Lagos used cars are sold because the driver can't keep up with the maintenance and wants to quickly sell it off. i.e. Bad roads, mechanics wahala.
Keep your search to places with less terrible roads and states that have more of a civil servants dominated workforce.
The further up-north the better. The seem to have better roads and because of the weather there, cars won't have had flooding problems.

2nd Advice:
Being a first time owner, focus on Toyota cars. Hondas are good but you don't have the experience to recognise faults by the sound a makes.
With that budget, you can actually get a Tokunbo Camry 2001(Pencil Light). If that's beneath you then look for a clean Matrix 09-10.
Both the 03-07Corolla & Camry are good choices.
Please avoid the 07-10 Camry(Muscle) as a first timer(runaway from the Hybrid). If you see one and you want it then please go with someone who owns one or has owned one recently. Muscle has different models and country variant. You need someone who has used it to be able to understand the differences.

3rd:
Don't buy the Base Model/Trim of whatever Toyota car you see. Go for the CE, LE, XLe or S Trim. They're the ones that have better options (car seat, Audio system, Bluetooth & Aux, even the AC Vent are better).

4th:
Check the plate number of any car you're checking on the VIO website to ensure it's not owing fines.
After the Mechanic/Rewire scans the car(electronic diagnosis), take it for inspection at VIO Office(inspection is free). Their inspection(mechanical) is always well detailed and usually spot things the mechanic might have missed.

5th:
Don't pay for the car on the 1st inspection. Go a second time with a good AC mechanic to check it out. Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator, Radiator & Fan. Some cars AC don't work under pressure. So if you just put it on it will work at 1st but it's actually faulty.

6th:
Whatever the car options you see, ensure you have 300k extra for miscellaneous.
REPLACE ALL OILS AND FILTERS and if possible shocks and tires BEFORE YOU START DRIVING it as the new owner.

7th:
Only buy from whose name is on the Vehicle particulars to avoid "Stolen Vehicle" wahala with the Police.

8th:
If the glasses are engraved, it reduces the value of the car. So negotiate the price lower. Police will disturb you over it REGULARLY.
When registering the car, use the engraved number as previous Licence Number.

That's all that comes to mind for now. Anything else. Just ask.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car by GentlePEACE: 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2023
Germanhunter:
First I started with daily 5k …my projection was by mid this year I could get a Benz, but omo saving money is extra HARD in Naija.
Lorokan sha (in one word), I have saved up 1.8 million so far and I THINK i will like to get a car now
Yes, it’s not much to get my dream car but I feel it’s definitely ok to get started ..I am flexible with my plan…keep upgrading my cars when I get the chance and before I know it, I may get my BENZ…it’s hard I know but I can do it and I am sure of it……

Try and save upto 2m, i can get you a clean Camry Muscle between 07 to to 010.... I'm a Dealer and i own one. My base is Ogba, Lagos.. Your (mine) Mechanic would inspect before you pay... if you are interested, PM me through nairaland, there we exchange numbers. I also have whatsapp group where i drop cars that the owners are selling coz of relocation or distress only. Still buzz me if you still want camry 06 or corolla 04 with your budget.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car by Monday60655(m): 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2023
Icon4s:
In Nigeria of today, N1.8 million can only get you a Naija used car that will make you know all the mechanics in your area. You will lose your sleep, peace of mind and appetite. All your salary will continue to go into repairs of the vehicle.

Naija is a messed up country else I would have asked you to invest the money somewhere for now, but which investment is viable in Nigeria of today?

Motor no be wetin person dey save 5k per month to buy. In Nigeria of today, for you to buy a vehicle that will make sense, you need nothing less than N4m for sedan and N6m for SUV.

Sorry if my post breaks your heart but that is just the reality.

All the best.
You just nailed the whole point.

2 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car by GentlePEACE: 7:35pm On Mar 15, 2023
DesireV:

Germanhunter, print this post and paste it on your door, so that you can be seeing it each time you're going out of your house.

No matter what, don't buy a naija used car if you don't know the owner personally.
If you must buy a naija used, then avoid any dealer/agent with any of the following lines "clean title, nothing to fix, used by a woman/banker, barely driven, ** months used etc". If possible, buy only from direct owner and be very certain of why he's selling.
Also, avoid random mechanics. It's easy for them to get induced by the seller just to offload the junk to you. Shitty mechanics full this Nairaland too, it's not only by scanner.

With the cost implications of getting a replacement, I doubt anyone whose car isn't giving him problem will want to sell except if they're traveling out, or financially distressed or not very likely, an upgrade. Imagine someone who got a sound toks 2005 camry at 1.8m in 2021 who has maintained it well till date and the car is still sound. If he sells it even at 2.5m today, 2.5m can't get another toks 2005 camry today, whether sound or not. If he adds 2m to it to make it 4.5m, he'll sweat to get a toks muscle that will give him the kind peace his 2005 camry dey give him. So, nobody go tell him to be using his 2m to be drinking yogurt while cruising his peaceful 2005 camry jejely

Strive and aim for a toks with a detailed usage history from d country of origin.
Better make you they climb bike with peace than buy a car that will pieces your peace. If car stress you for a day, you'll hate cars.

All the best

Stop generalising like that when you are not in car business.... See, there are alot of good cars selling cheap because the owner needs money or they are relocating, some sell to upgrade, not all cars are bad as u speculated.... No matter the sweet mouth, take your mechanic along, let him inspect or ask a rewirer to scan it. i still bought a distress sale (Honda City) this month.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car by Cutehector(m): 7:40pm On Mar 15, 2023
fixitbyjal:

I work you lost soul

boss abeg vex feed me.. cry
Re: Buying My First Car by Greenscientist: 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2023
silibaba:
Go back and save up to 2.5m, then comeback here. Except you want to end up buying KOROPE.

He should not forget to save it in dollars too
Re: Buying My First Car by WhoDeyThere(m): 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2023
Nissan Altima 2014 SV( standard value)
post=121767077:
You have nice choices.

For one lucky reader....
Na Baba God do am!

E clean shey? 😉

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cartalk Lounge. (derailers Paradise) / See The Real Meaning Of The Logo Of Mercedes Benz! / Innoson Backs The #ENDSARS Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.