Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison (29609 Views)

Police Rescue American ‘detained For A Year After Visiting Facebook Lover’ (pic) / Bayelsa: Police Parade 14-Year-Old Girl Who Left Home To Be With Facebook Lover / Woman Hides Phone Inside Soup To Give Her Boyfriend In Ogun Prison (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by ijustdey: 2:46pm On Mar 15, 2023
An inmate said to be on death row at the Ibara Correctional Centre in Ogun State, Femi Oso, has been accused of using a romance scam to defraud a yet-to-be-identified lady of N17m in the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Oso and the victim got connected on Facebook and after chatting with each other for a while, they commenced a relationship.

During the relationship, it was learnt that Oso’s lover, through a Point-of-Sale operator identified simply as Ayoola, paid him money in tranches amounting to N17m.

Along the line, the victim, while assessing her relationship with Oso who reportedly never disclosed his status as an inmate to her, started suspecting foul play and later shared her experience with her yet-to-be-identified sister.

The victim’s sister, thereafter, involved her husband, a serving policeman attached to the Ondo State Police Command, who, on the suspicion of a romance scam, reported the case to the command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit for investigation.

The policemen trailed the PoS operator to Ibara, Ogun State, arrested him and took him to their operational base in Akure, Ondo State, for interrogation.

It was learnt that during interrogation, Ayoola confessed that the money was for Oso, and mentioned two persons, a school cleaner, Nofisat Adeosun, and Oso’s brother-in-law identified simply as Segun, as people who usually collected money from him on the instruction of the inmate.

Narrating her ordeal on Monday, Adeosun said she was at work when the policemen stormed the premises on February 8, 2023, to arrest her, adding that she was also taken to their base in Akure.

She said, “When the policemen arrested me at my workplace at Ibara Baptist Nursery and Primary School, I asked what my offence was and I was told that they will tell me when we get to their base in Akure.

When we got there, they told me I was arrested because of N17m fraud committed by an inmate of Ibara Correctional Centre, Femi Oso. I was told the money was paid to Oso through a PoS operator, Ayoola.

“The police had arrested Ayoola and arrested me on the allegation that I knew about the fraud and I said I knew nothing about it. When I asked Ayoola at the station why he mentioned my name, especially when I am not aware of the money, he started pleading.”

The mother of two said she spent about 10 days before she was allowed to call a family friend, Oluwafemi Adekunle, who alongside his relative, Jide Ikumapayi, came to secure her bail.

She, however, explained that the school where she was working as a cleaner terminated her appointment following the arrest.

Speaking on the case, Ikumapayi, while describing Adeosun’s arrest as an unfortunate experience, said the investigation proved that she had no link to the crime.

He added that Ayoola, alongside Oso’s brother-in-law, Segun, who on behalf of his in-law, reportedly collected the N17m from the PoS operator for onward delivery to his sister who was said to still be at large, was also arrested.

He said, “When one of our family members was an inmate at Ibara Correctional Centre, if we want to send him money, we usually sent it to the PoS operator and because the school where Adeosun works is closer to the prison, she usually assisted us in getting the money from the PoS operator to our person in prison.

“That our person and Femi Oso were inmates. After our person completed his term in prison, he left. But because Oso, who is an inmate on death row, was aware that Adeosun usually assisted our person in collecting money from the PoS operator, he pleaded with her to assist him and occasionally she assisted whenever his family sent him money.

“So, when Ayoola, who runs the PoS shop close to the prison was arrested for the N17m fraud, he said he got to know Oso through Adeosun but refused to disclose that Adeosun knew nothing about the N17m. When we got to the police at Akure, Ayoola said it was Segun that collected the N17m from him and not Adeosun and that was how she was released on bail.”

Ikumapayi said an investigation was also extended to the Ibara Correctional Centre to bring in Oso for questioning, adding that he was not released because of his status as an inmate on death row.

He, however, said efforts were on to arrest Oso’s wife, who went into hiding after realising that the police were on her trail.

Contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Ondo State Command, Funmi Odunlami, while confirming the development, said an investigation into the case was still ongoing.

“When I spoke with the officer in charge of the case, he said the case was ongoing and won’t say anything about it until they are through. He said he wants to finish the case so that those that needed to be paraded would be paraded,” Odulami said.

Contacted on Monday, the spokesperson for the Nigeria Correctional Service in Ogun State, Victor Oyeleke, after getting a brief of the development from our correspondent, promised to make some findings and get back for a reaction but did not do so.

He refused to take follow-up calls made to his phone number on Tuesday and had yet to reply to two text messages requesting a reaction regarding the case.

However, this is not the first time the NCS will be in the news concerning cases of inmates masterminding fraudulent transactions while serving their term in the custody of the service.

Sometime in November 2019, PUNCH Metro reported that the spokesperson for the Economic Financial Crimes Commission, Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement, confirmed that a convicted Internet fraudster, Hope Aroke, who was then serving a 24-year jail term in the Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre in Lagos State, allegedly masterminded a $1m scam while in custody.

https://punchng.com/convicted-fraudster-masterminds-n17m-scam-from-ogun-prison/?amp

2 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Johnthum(m): 2:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tinubu urchins have done it again. Tinubu right now wink

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Johnthum(m): 2:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tinubu urchins and Fraud are like 5 &6. Tinubu urchins right now cry

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Emma2Seconds: 2:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
wink
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by insidelife22(m): 2:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
He is a legend.
Nigerian polithiefians self should add it as a case study.
INEC should employ him to teach them how to rig elections apc'ly

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by chatinent: 2:53pm On Mar 15, 2023
May God help we Nigerians
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Jennyclay(f): 3:07pm On Mar 15, 2023
An average Nigerian man is criminally minded undecided

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by OmotolaBoy(m): 3:15pm On Mar 15, 2023
The Hustle Is Real

2 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by mysticwarrior(m): 3:27pm On Mar 15, 2023
Jennyclay:
Including your father and brothers.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by MrSegunAdewole: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2023
these Tinubu urchins are disgracing us

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Musty112: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2023
Afi correctional centre nitooto
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by anigbajumo(m): 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2023
Omo, This one still dey scam from inside prison. I can now believe that not all scammers dey do ritual abi how this one dey bath soap for prison?? Some people just sabi this game, I can never involve in anything scam but this one na Legend in the game.

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by JoeyNaza: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Na dem, na another man money, property and wife dey sweet dem pass.

I no mention anybody oo grin grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by JealousCobra(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
cool

You can't beat urchins in this field mostly the ones that went to Thiefñubu School of Urshinsm 😎

The school is the only remarkable achievement of Thiefñubu in Lagos as a governor for 8 years.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Odunharry(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Wahala everyday.. 17m, wetin people dey think sef
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Sometime in November 2019, PUNCH Metro reported that the spokesperson for the Economic Financial Crimes Commission, Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement, confirmed that a convicted Internet fraudster, Hope Aroke, who was then serving a 24-year jail term in the Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre in Lagos State, [b]allegedly masterminded a $1m scam while in custody.

An inmate said to be on death row at the Ibara Correctional Centre in Ogun State, Femi Oso, has been accused of using a romance scam to defraud a yet-to-be-identified lady of N17m in the state.

Committing crime from prison

People dey o.

If you are ready to do the crime again,
Get ready to do the time all over again.

Dem MANNA don drop quote.

We Rise.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by grandstar(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
kk
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
JoeyNaza:
Na dem
Who be dem o?!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by inoki247: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Lol this one go even work from hell....

7 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Awoh55: 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2023
Beautiful.
As Tinubu become president of this nation Nigeria may 29 he will do very good things for this nation, may God help him not to change his mind towards this country. please let everyone of us pray for him against poison because no matter how the kitchen is protected is inevitable. God bless our country Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
MrSegunAdewole:
these Tinubu urchins are disgracing us

Like them them making waves in the world news for drug crimes right?
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by kingsleefolli(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
Agba yahoo.hushpoppy dey learn from this nigga I swear.

5 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Princessdainty(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
Tinubu auchins, Ipob (yanmiri)yam leg, buhari banditry.
Make tribalism no Kee una for this country.

Continue to dent the image of the country and think it's about a particular tribe. Dumb Nairalanders

5 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by FuckDModz: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
grin

Whenever you hear Nigerian Prince, think of the Yorubas. They've mastered the act of scamming to a fault.

Criminal elements!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by kellybently(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
Johnthum:
Tinubu urchins have done it again. Tinubu right now wink

Global no 10th terrorist
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by captainamiedi1: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
How was he able to get phone in prison? abi the laws don change? the prison warders are aware of his activities. Nigeria just get as e be from every angle

2 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by sammirano: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
The offence was committed in Ogun why move the suspects to Ondo, that's very wrong. Even if the Ondo command picked the Intel, it is necessary to transfer to Ogun command

2 Likes

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
I'm sure it's that nairalander
Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Candidlady: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2023
mysticwarrior:
Including your father and brothers.

the truth is bitter

men are all thieves

1 Like

Re: Convicted Fraudster Scams Facebook 'Lover' Of ₦17M From Ogun Prison by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2023
Jennyclay:

Your pussy will be sweet to Bleep. DM, letd gv you head, let the juice flow

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vigilante Members Kill Army Student In Ozubulu, Anambra.Graphic Photos / Bayelsa Lady Rescued From Attempted Suicide Has Died [pictured] / Man Acting A Mad Man Caught In Egbeda Trying To Kidnap A Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.