Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,270 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa (4034 Views)

Naira Crashes As FG Denies Currency Swap Deal / Jonathan Lied: "we Are Not Building A Shipyard In Nigeria”. / Hyundai Heavy To Build $7billion Shipyard In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Ayokunle07(m): 4:39pm On Sep 16, 2011
Hyundai Heavy says not building Nigerian shipyard
Associated Press, 09.16.11, 07:03 AM EDT 

SEOUL, South Korea -- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. is denying a statement from Nigeria's presidential office that it plans to build a multibillion dollar shipyard in the country.

Hyundai Heavy spokesman Kim Moon-ju said Friday that the company has no such plan.
A statement late Thursday from President Goodluck Jonathan's office said the shipyard would be built in Brass in Bayelsa state, his home region.

Kim said that Hyundai Heavy President Lee Jai-seong made no such comment during a trip to the country. Kim said the company is building a small pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation, faces crushing unemployment and poverty. The government has promised other projects in the past that failed to materialize.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/09/16/business-as-skorea-nigeria_8683341.html
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Arosa(m): 4:46pm On Sep 16, 2011
grin grin grin naija. na who dash monkey banana befor?!. angry angry angry
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by jason123: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2011
grin grin grin ;Dlol
This is just ridiculous!
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by ektbear: 5:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
embarassed

I don't know why anyone finds this funny.

Loss for Nigeria as a whole
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

embarassed

As if it would have made a difference in Ekiti. Abeg.

"Loss for Politician pockets in whole"
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by ektbear: 5:25pm On Sep 16, 2011
^-- You know that Bolaji Aluko is VC at GEJ's university in Bayelsa? So yes, Ekiti and non-Bayelsans more generally can benefit from development of that state (or anywhere else in Nigeria).

If someone decides to build a $7 billion port somewhere in Nigeria, we all benefit.

Isn't a zero-sum game
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by nduchucks: 5:26pm On Sep 16, 2011
The screwups originating from the Office of the President are becoming too embarassing. The incompetent dullards working for GEJ should be dismissed immediately before they do his presidency in.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- You know that Bolaji Aluko is VC at GEJ's university in Bayelsa? So yes, Ekiti and non-Bayelsans more generally can benefit from development of that state (or anywhere else in Nigeria).

If someone decides to build a $7 billion port somewhere in Nigeria, we all benefit.

Isn't a zero-sum game

So you're saying if this was true, Bolaji would be getting share of Shipyard money which would help fix Ekiti roads, electricity etc?

Oogbadun.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by ektbear: 5:44pm On Sep 16, 2011
When someone invests in your country, it creates jobs. Everyone benefits from job creation.

This is all I'm saying.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by PhysicsQED(m): 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2011
Embarrassing.

Multibillion dollar shipyard vs. small pipe making factory.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by aljharem3: 6:27pm On Sep 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

embarassed

Lol u joking right

Yes we all know it is a loss for Nigeria as a whole but we are laughing because it is embrassing and a disgrace that a small company can do this to Nigeria a country when we still have Innoson motor that Nigeria government can invest in and later diversify to building ships in the near future

WE ARE LAUGHING AT PDP
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by SouthEast1: 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

Isn't a zero-sum game

So that you yaribas will try to corner that too? I dey laugh oh!. I did not know BA is a company director too in Bayelsa.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by monkeyleg: 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2011
Another monumental Phuckup from Goddy's office . Wey Beef, he started the news on NL
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by aljharem3: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2011
monkeyleg:

Another monumental Phuckup from Goddy's office . Wey Beef, he started the news on NL

gbammmm
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by jason123: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2011
South-East:

So that you yaribas will try to corner that too? I dey laugh oh!. I did not know BA is a company director too in Bayelsa.

Must everything be tribal?? angry

ekt_bear:

embarassed

Bruv, I laughed because the thing tire me! Nigeria tire me . . .
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by aljharem3: 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2011
South-East:

who is this ideeiot calling ethnic groups to this matter
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2011
Congrats. Nigerians we now have a liar as a president fresh air indeed
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by okadaman2: 6:56pm On Sep 16, 2011
[size=27pt]But why lie ?[/size]  embarassed
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by ektbear: 7:41pm On Sep 16, 2011
South-East:

You don't know how to read engleesh

Perhaps have someone translate into heebo for you, then you'll understand the meaning
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

You don't know how to read engleesh

Perhaps have someone translate into heebo for you, then you'll understand the meaning
no further bashing pls
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 17, 2011
wtf is wrong with this  eejit in a hat? does he think he can run around telling fibs and whoppers on the world stage?

embarrassing dolt . this is what his sycophants have done to him - they have encouraged the spreading of bizarre and unnecessary falsehoods.

ekt_bear:

embarassed

how do you lose something you never had in the first place? this is not a case of they are pulling out - sort of like the botched vodacom\vmobile bid, or virgin divesting from virgin nigeria. this is just a lie by our president , one of the many that have been churning out of his office. he may have thought the koreans would have no choice but to play along in his dubious public relations scheme. one has to wonder about any past, present and future announcements about foreign investment.

this administration is burying us all in clear and present BS to our eyeballs

they are promising projects  right now, only that most of their other promises don't involve conglomerates which have no choice but to set the record straight

you should be scared for us. think about it. is there anything coming out of this administration that we can trust to be more than empty sound bites in the pursuit of cheap popularity?

all this "we are on the track of boko haram", "we are about to fix refineries", "we will build 20 power plants" - none of those statements involve other parties that have no choice but to set the record straight.

it also gives seriously disturbing insights into the psyche of gej and his team - the pipe manufacturing plant would have been a coup on its own. they could have gotten enough mileage out of that. instead, they chose to pull the wool over our collective eyes with a bizarre fib
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 17, 2011
lets see how reuben will spin this - gej taste for his foot, you gotta love it.

so soon after his sham "speak to the nation "

who needs detractors when you are your own worst enemy ?
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by popoyeh(m): 8:09am On Sep 17, 2011
$7b investment woulda work in ripples round the whole economy, not just where the factory is located. But since this is a farce, na f-up be dat. The presidency should save us this embarassment, stuffs should be confirmed and well verified before they are spilled to the world.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by reindeer: 8:13am On Sep 17, 2011
All hail GEJ
The Worst and most embarassing president the country ever( and will ever) have.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 17, 2011
reindeer:

All hail GEJ
The Worst and most embarassing president the country ever( and will ever) have.

u better pray that is true. some say sambo is dumber.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 17, 2011
it has made the homepage. lets eat our crow and give seun kudos smiley
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Remii(m): 8:28am On Sep 17, 2011
PhysicsQED:

Embarrassing.

Multibillion dollar shipyard vs. small pipe making factory.

not necessarily small company, if it is to make small OD pipes, like tubings used for pipeline and oil production, it is still a big factory. However those briefing the president should  be explicit and be sure he understands what they are talking about before he goes to the press. he many so many other gaffes too like saying drilling does not generate employment after rig moves off.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by goggs(m): 8:59am On Sep 17, 2011
Reuters reported the president of HHI saying so himself!

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL5E7KF3Q220110915

ABUJA, Sept 15 (Reuters) - South Korean group Hyundai Heavy Industries 009540.ks plans to build a $7 billion shipyard in Nigeria's oil region, the company's president said on Thursday.

"My company is going to $7 billion in Nigeria in the building of a ship yard," Jai-Seong Lee told reporters at the presidential villa following a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan.

so, if the president of the company said so publicy, why is the international media making it sound as though GEJ was the originator of the statement. Even if he was, why did the HHI president repeat or corroborate it if it were false. The foreign media conviniently forgot what the HHI president said and dumped the whole thing on Nigeria. Not nice
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 17, 2011
^^^^

all those reports are based on the release from gej's office

who are the reporters? the brown envelope ones we know so well who have all been co opted into the transformation farce?
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by BetaThings: 10:09am On Sep 17, 2011
Remii:

not necessarily small company, if it is to make small OD pipes, like tubings used for pipeline and oil production, it is still a big factory. However those briefing the president should  be explicit and be sure he understands what they are talking about before he goes to the press. he many so many other gaffes too like saying drilling does not generate employment after rig moves off.

Kim said the company is building a [b]small [/b]pipe-manufacturing factory in Bayelsa.

I appreciate the clarification. However the company has said it is SMALL. So that stings
But what stings more is that the good news of the investment was basically localised while
the bad news of retraction is on the world stage

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation, faces crushing unemployment and poverty. The government has promised other projects in the past that failed to materialize.
Re: Hyundai Denies Statement About Building A Shipyard In Bayelsa by Phrankin(m): 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

embarassed

actually, i find it very funny that some people will be living in such a dreamland to beleive this story in the first place. Where did hyundai -a car manufacturing company keep $7bil to build shipyard in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Gtbank Mastercard Acceptable Ot Shop Online? / Can Owners/managers Of Micro, Small And Medium Scale Enterprises Meet Here? / Bakery firewood steam tube Oven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.