Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,234 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence (633 Views)

I do not know the woman: Diri Dismisses Claims Of Leaking Sifuba's Sextape / Opeyemi Kadiri: Police Dismisses Officer For Searching Mobile Phones / Court Dismisses Claims Of Forgery Against Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by onthehill: 6:40am On Mar 19, 2023
Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence In Lagos Guber Election

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Idowu Owohunwa, has dismissed reports of widespread acts of violence and voter suppression in the state governorship election held on Saturday, March 18, IGBERETV reports.

Speaking in an interview with Channels TV, Owohunwa confirmed the attacks on voters and electoral officers recorded at some Lagos polling units, saying, “It is true that we’ve recorded instances of violence in some areas within the state.” He however added that the incidents were “not as widespread as to affect the general dynamics of the process”.

According to him, most of the instances were “properly responded to by the police because we anticipated them”.

When asked if the command had anticipated the violence, he said, “Yes, in some instances. As security practitioners, when you plan operations of this nature, you must anticipate that some elements will want to become adversaries in the process. We anticipated and then we integrated that into our general operational plan and we activated that protocol effectively in this instance. Most of those breaches, the police were able to respond promptly.”

Owohunwa also responded to the claims accompanying some viral videos of alleged incidents of ballot box snatching.

Regarding a video of voters supposedly overpowering a young man alleged to have snatched a ballot box, the police commissioner said

“That in itself is illegal; two wrongs cannot make a right.”

He added that contrary to information on social media, the young man is alive, after he was rescued by the police and other security agencies and that the suspected electoral offender was receiving medical attention.

"He’s stable; he’s not dead,” Owohunwa said

The CP noted that the police were compiling cases within the purview, saying “a lot of arrests” and “recoveries” had been made.

“In most of those cases of ballot box snatching, we recovered virtually all the ballot boxes'', he said.

Speaking on reports of disenfranchisement in Eti-Osa Local Government Area (LGA), Owohunwa stated that the area had not presented a major challenge.

“Rather, where we have issues now, I think, is around VGC [Victoria Garden City], specifically anyway, and the issue had to do more with the relocation of the polling units from the within the estate to a location outside the gate,” he said.

“That falls within the mandate of INEC, and when my attention was drawn to it, I drew the attention of the REC to the development. As we speak, he has personally gone to the location and is trying to engage the electorate, so that they can find a common ground.”

https://igberetvnews.com/1441127/lagos-police-dismisses-claims-widespread-voter-suppression-violence-lagos-guber-election/

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 19, 2023
grin
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Racoon(m): 6:42am On Mar 19, 2023
shocked My God!

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Racoon(m): 6:45am On Mar 19, 2023
With the police rationalising and downplaying threat of MC Oluomo's and his thugs threat of the lives of Igbos in Lagos? And given what happened as also seen during the presidential election?

The police as with all security agencies took it turn for the worst under the devillish APC government .They have made chronic shameless irredeemable lying an official policy of government which is corruption.It will never be well with any APC member. They are all under a curse.
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by thesicilian: 6:45am On Mar 19, 2023
Our elections have always been like this, and nothing is likely to change anytime soon.i believe it just appears worse now because of social media attention and the occasional overdramatization by some (paid?) Influencers.
The only way to ensure fairness is to create a system that can not easily be tampered with, a system where you do not compulsorily need military men to ensure fairness. It's not going to happen at once or now, but with seriousness and perseverance I believe we'll get there.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by oyin44: 6:46am On Mar 19, 2023
I just don't know why it is very difficult for obi and his supporters to concede defeat..

Before the election, they were the ones making noise .

after election, they are also the ones still shouting intimidation. haba

Are they inflicted with a curse or what

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Nobody: 6:47am On Mar 19, 2023
[b][Nigeria police is a Terrorist organization. /b]
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Penalty82(m): 6:48am On Mar 19, 2023
You were paid to say this.
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Puremind1225: 6:50am On Mar 19, 2023
Corrupt police

1 Like

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Parachoko: 6:50am On Mar 19, 2023
onthehill:
Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence In Lagos Guber Election

https://igberetvnews.com/1441127/lagos-police-dismisses-claims-widespread-voter-suppression-violence-lagos-guber-election/

Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44 nlfpmod
I agree with the Lagos State Police

The Election in Lagos is largely free and fair

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Parachoko: 6:50am On Mar 19, 2023
Godisablealltim:
[b][Nigeria police is a Terrorist organization. /b]
You're mistaken the NPF with IPOB

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Jostoman: 6:52am On Mar 19, 2023
APC CP talking, this one was brought to lagos to help APC win election.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by atiku4President(m): 6:53am On Mar 19, 2023
What do you expect from Nigerian Police?
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Realist12: 6:54am On Mar 19, 2023
We know the propaganda is sponsored by the LP guys they did same thing during endsars.

Later we'd discuss how LP presented one ABA- made Gbarebo guy for governor in Lagos state and expected Yorubas to vote him because we are " liberals " these guys really tested the fabrics of our society . Obi's political brand is poisonous to any community. He seeks to widening our ethnic and religious divide only.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by MasterJayJay: 6:55am On Mar 19, 2023
The Nigerian police is your enemy. Know this and know peace.

The brain of the average Nigerian police man has been badly damaged.
That's why a victim of rape will report to the police and the police will tell the victim that she enjoyed it. You can see it recently from MC Olumo threats which police said he was just joking.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by madridguy(m): 6:56am On Mar 19, 2023
This is coming from the State Commissioner of Police, Idowu Owohunwa that was brought to Lagos by the said cabal to tame the Jagaban of Borgu according to some pained people. tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Difrent: 6:57am On Mar 19, 2023
thesicilian:
Our elections have always been like this, and nothing is likely to change anytime soon.i believe it just appears worse now because of social media attention and the occasional overdramatization by some (paid?) Influencers.
The only way to ensure fairness is to create a system that can not easily be tampered with, a system where you do not compulsorily need military men to ensure fairness. It's not going to happen at once or now, but with seriousness and perseverance I believe we'll get there.

This is the truth. Social media paid influencers are the ones overdramatizing the whole thing.

PO and LP are the ones spreading toxicity. Playing the ethnic and religious card to hoodwink unsuspecting youth into thinking there can only be one way...this is a democracy, people have a right to differ...but LP and Obidients want to force PO down everybodys throat.
I pity these GenZ...they think you can form woke with politics......its not entertainment or comedy, politics is serious business not something to joke with.
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Nuhskhut: 7:03am On Mar 19, 2023
They say what they see.
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by dominic17: 7:04am On Mar 19, 2023
What do expect him to say when he was obviously brought to Lagos by APC my happiness is that the evil men do leave with them.
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:14am On Mar 19, 2023
It's well
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by Ceenachi: 7:15am On Mar 19, 2023
oyin44:
I just don't know why it is very difficult for obi and his supporters to concede defeat..

Before the election, they were the ones making noise .

after election, they are also the ones still shouting intimidation. haba

Are they inflicted with a curse or what

You must b a wicked soul

Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by blacksam01: 7:16am On Mar 19, 2023
thesicilian:

tinubu just meed to Die for Nigeria to know peace simple...he is the real problem with Nigeria
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by FarahAideed: 7:16am On Mar 19, 2023
Just imagine the lies
Re: Lagos Police Dismisses Claims Of Widespread Voter Suppression And Violence by thesicilian: 7:21am On Mar 19, 2023
blacksam01:

tinubu just meed to Die for Nigeria to know peace simple...he is the real problem with Nigeria
Lol.
So you mean Tinubu is the cause of Nigeria's problems? Before he came on the scene Nigeria was El Dorado?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos APC & INEC Now Using Tipex To Change Election Results / Japa Syndrome How Nigeria Can Benefit From It At The Long Run. / Despite All The Noise From Obidients; APC Is The Leading Party In SE - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.