Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,437 members, 7,815,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) (1959 Views)

Soyinka Looking For Who To Bully With Foreign Language, Not Ijinle Yoruba, Shame / Show Of Shame By Past Presidents, Heads Of States / Buhari Picking An Item From The Floor For Ganiyat Fawehinmi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by zumbigbo(m): 12:38am On Mar 20, 2023
An abiding memory of Nigerian elections that I have is from 2011. I flew to Nigeria to vote that year — I had planned to vote in the Presidential elections and booked my ticket accordingly but the last minute cancellation, per usual, meant I ended up voting in the gubernatorial elections.
At my polling unit, the ACN (as APC was back then) party agent turned up, his pocket bulging with cash to buy some votes. But then an amazing thing happened — people turned down his cash and said they were going to vote for Fashola (they seemed to be suspicious that he wanted to bribe them to vote for someone else). The results were later tallied and Fashola won that polling unit by a crushing landslide, in the same way he won the state with more than 80% of the votes cast. He was a genuinely popular governor and had had an above average first term (due to a number of factors including being flush with funds withheld by Obasanjo and released by Yar’Adua at the start of his term in 2007). The ACN agent later pleaded with the voters to allow him at least buy them drinks after the votes had been counted. They obliged him and he commandeered several bottles of big Fanta for anyone who wanted one.
Looking back now, that was the last time APC — or whatever you might call Bola Tinubu’s political machine — won an election cleanly in Lagos. And it is not hard to see why. Fashola himself had a lacklustre second term and it cost a lot to impose a lacklustre Ambode on the state in 2015. Getting rid of Ambode in 2019 also cost a lot as was replacing him with an equally lacklustre Sanwo-Olu. As the quality of governance has deteriorated, the nastiness and divisiveness required to keep hold of the state has increased.
It was in the service of trying to impose the lacklustre Ambode in 2015 that we can mark what was the opening shot of what was to come — the Oba of Lagos telling Igbos in Lagos to vote for Ambode or perish in the Lagos Lagoon. To put it mildly, things have only gotten worse since then. Given that this is Nigeria we are talking about, I don’t want to say we have reached the apotheosis of this ugliness — but what we have seen in the campaign to return Sanwo-Olu as Lagos Governor has been nothing short of shocking. These are things that can never be put back in the bottle, even with the best will in the world and certainly not overnight.
I want to confess something. Being Yoruba has allowed me a kind of humble brag. This is not something any self-respecting Yoruba person will shout with a megaphone or stand on a rooftop to yell about, but it is there. It is that in the Ethnic Byzantium that is Nigeria, we were a bit better. That in the often dangerous intolerance that flares up any and everywhere across Nigeria every five market days we were a bit better. We generally just want to throw a nice party, dance, go to university to study law and mostly live at peace with our neighbours. And the biggest evidence for this humble brag has always been Lagos. It was a place that could be held up as evidence of Nigerians of all hues and ethnicities living in tension with each other but getting by, somehow. Some problems cannot be solved — such as deep rooted feelings of identify — but they can be managed. Civilisation, afterall, is often no more than a wafer covering a volcano. And Lagos was managing, somehow.
The foolishness of this humble brag has been to mistake things held together by nothing other than norms as some kind of natural law like gravity. You cannot make a law for everything, you have to rely on people simply doing the right thing or behaving to a certain standard. And operating a democracy makes this more, not less, so — politicians simply have to choose not to do certain things otherwise the law will always be one step behind them. They have to choose to try to win over voters and not rely on cheating in elections, otherwise no electoral act will be good enough to keep them in line. They have to choose to serve people and not to enrich themselves from the public purse, otherwise no anticorruption law will be good enough to stop them.
And in a multiethnic boiling pot like Nigeria, and Lagos in particular, they have to choose not to go there. They have to choose not to start a fire that can burn out of control with no one knowing how to put it out, in the service of their short term interests. We may pass laws on hate speech or other such things but that will usually be at the cost of lives already lost and distrust deeply sown.
What we have seen in Lagos, and will soon see in Abuja, is what it looks like when people who will absolutely go there are threatened with a loss of their privileges. They will say anything. They will stoke any sentiments. They will threaten and use violence. They will press traditional religions into the service of their personal ambition.
Absolutely nothing is off limits to Bola Tinubu and his gang. The point for them is power for the sake of having it and ensuring no one else has it. It is a money making enterprise and if even after 24 years, people dare to ask for something else…well, they are not allowed to have that.
I try not to have any regrets in life but there is one I can never quite shake off. It is that, despite living in Kaduna for eight years when growing up, I cannot speak Hausa. I have some standard excuses when I’m asked to explain this oddity but the truth is that we lived in fear in our time there. We were safe inside the military base we lived in but venturing outside of that base carried an incredible amount of risk. Those were the days of incessant religious riots in Kaduna (some might say those days have hardly gone away) and we were double minorities — Yoruba and Christian. We did not have a single Hausa neighbour inside the base with whom we could speak Hausa — the only chance we had to do this was in school and there Hausa was more or less banned.
Many times, from the safety of inside the base, we would see dark plumes of smoke from somewhere in town. Something, somewhere had stoked some tension and a building or two had been burnt.
In my life, this has been my only experience of living in fear due to being some kind of minority. I can say it was absolutely not fun. I definitely do not recall enjoying the religious baiting that was par for the course at the time. And it goes without saying I am not a fan of living in fear for my physical safety because of who I am.
Now to be clear, the mere fact of being a minority does not automatically confer innocence on anyone. Nigeria is a bewilderingly diverse place and some tribalism is often just a matter of self preservation. Minorities can often give as good as they get. There is also space for ethnic pride even in a country of ethnic nationalities — the line to draw being that you can be proud of your ethnic group insofar as you do not link the pride you feel to the inferiority of other groups.
But Lagos crossed whatever lines there were in this campaign. Immediately after the Presidential campaign, there was only one angle considered — baiting Igbos. All the frontline APC politicians in Lagos, including Bola Tinubu himself, are not originally from Lagos. This should ordinarily be part of the humble brag I spoke about earlier but you will not hear them ever say it because of the fear that it might legitimise other people’s claims about the state. And so we saw an unbelievable campaign where the guy who is as Lagos as they come was branded as Igbo and there was no bottom to this ugliness, including the use of physical violence. Bigotry is always a low information exercise and so we saw even Yorubas branded as Igbos in the absence of facial markings that might make their ethnicity clear.
In 1999, I felt something as a Yoruba Nigerian. The whole country stepped aside for Yorubas to have a free run at the presidency. It’s not as if a Yoruba man could not win the presidency without that free run at it — afterall Abiola had done just that six years before and it has happened again since — but it was a grand gesture by the rest of Nigeria to compensate Yorubas for what Abiola had suffered. As we have seen with the breakdown of various zoning ‘agreements’, it was not a given that everyone else would agree to this ceding of the highest office in the land to the Yorubas. But they did and it was a fine thing to do.
To see how easily the Yorubas have been conned by Bola Tinubu’s personal ambition this campaign has shocked me. 1999 is not some ancient memory. It is fresh in many minds. It turns out that all that was needed was someone willing to go there and the Yorubas could be easily herded into a petulant and entitled Awa l’okan campaign. The Yoruba button was there to be pressed all the while. It was not hidden or a different kind of button. It just needed someone willing to press it.
And all this for what?
You are not suspending logic for one of your finest sons. You are not putting your heart over your head for someone who summons emotions of pride in you. You are doing it for Bola Tinubu. Bola Tinubu. Because, make no mistake about it, this is hardly about Sanwo-Olu returning as governor of Lagos. It is about ensuring the survival of the patronage network, the layers of thuggery, the political ‘structure’ and the troughs from which the various snouts feed from in Lagos and which all combine to ensure that any kind of transformative development of Lagos is simply impossible.
Years of delicately balanced ethnic relations. Years of intermarriage and friendships. Years of trading and doing business together. Years of building up Lagos into an economic juggernaut with the help of friends from all across the country, beyond what the state might hope to be running on its own strength alone. Years of raising capital from Igbos and so many other ‘non-Lagosians’.
You sold all this childishly and so very cheaply. You were willing to throw all this away and burn it all down for Bola Tinubu. Bola Tinubu. Igbos are not some random outsiders or nobodies. They are deeply embedded in the fabric of Nigeria and punch far above their economic weight in Lagos. You turned their identity into a slur and in doing so there was no line you were not willing to cross. For Bola Tinubu.
Even going as far as to downgrade the status of Lagos as an economic powerhouse and declare that its just like any other state in Nigeria with none of its advantages or the things that make it a magnet for people from across Nigeria. For Bola Tinubu. What manner of victory have you won?The ability to use Lagos as some kind of example for Nigeria, this you threw away for the man who, more than any other, has debased Yoruba traditions without a care in the world?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by domDva(m): 12:46am On Mar 20, 2023
One thing he said which is correct….you may not control the fire you ignite

11 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by ManOfMan: 12:47am On Mar 20, 2023
They won't read this one.

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Armaggedon: 12:51am On Mar 20, 2023
The man is 'ibo' or 'omo ale'

4 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by KanwuliaExtra: 12:53am On Mar 20, 2023
Interesting . . .

3 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by easyflex: 12:54am On Mar 20, 2023
Interesting read.
zumbigbo:
An abiding memory of Nigerian elections that I have is from 2011.

3 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Yaribanzaonic: 1:01am On Mar 20, 2023
Anything you need to do fast track it .
If you don't, in 4yrs time another "omo ale" with IGBO blood that is a true LAGOSIAN will come again ..and trust IGBO people, they will give block votes to that person. So do quick, so they leave Lagos for you, fools.

MusaChukwudi:

One omo ale wrote this rubbish......

We have gone past that stage ........foolish yoruba people sold land lease and foolish igbo people bought leased land.....they will get bargain basement compensation from Lagos state state government via redeemable bonds not in cash.....

8 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by AdaojoTheUrchin: 1:07am On Mar 20, 2023
MusaChukwudi:

We have gone past that stage ........foolish yoruba people sold land lease and foolish igbo people bought leased land.....they will get bargain basement compensation from Lagos state state government via redeemable bonds not in cash.....

Fahwenhmi is Omo ale because he does not agree with your toxic brand of politics. cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by NothingDoMe: 1:15am On Mar 20, 2023
MusaChukwudi:

Lol dey play. You wan buy land you go buy am in full. I'm very sure you're not from Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by DodadaKoKigbe: 2:52am On Mar 20, 2023
when the Ibos spent decades insulting Yorubas, denigrating our culture, pissing on the graves of our heroes past like Awolowo and Abiola, tauting us about Lagos etc. I was one of those who warned them. I made it clear to them that the freedom and accomodation they are afforded in Yorubaland is largely due to liberal Yorubas. But the decades of unguarded social media abuse is likely to make conservative Yorubas turn on them and when it starts it will be almost impossible to turn off the faucet. The Ibos usually respond with we own Lagos, or Lagos is Yorubaland or Lagos is Biniland etc. and there is nothing you can do about it. Some Ibos even went as far as threatening sexual violence and death to Tinubu's wife just because she had a disagreement with PDP let out gorilla Dino Maleye.

Fast forward to 2023 elections, right out for the gates Ibos wasted no time to denigrate and spread despicable fake news about Yoruba candidates especially BolaAhmed Tinubu. There is no negative news under the sun they did not attach to Tinubu. This is very recent history, so no need for me to go into the details. Then the presidential election came and went and Ibos went back to their tried and trusted rant of 'Lagos is a no man's land.' Then it escalated to Ibos saying 'we will chase out Yoruba obas out of Lagos when Chinedu wins the election.' And so many other grossly inciteful comment.

So, the conservative Yorubas decided that its time to really show the Ibos that the gentility of a tiger, is not an indication of docility. The conservative Yorubas dared them to elected Chinedu in Yorubaland. The Ibos took up the challenge and lost woefully.

This is what happened. This is a summary of the recent history of the events we see today. Have the Ibos learnt their lessons? I hope so. If they haven't then I will warn them again, the conservative Yorubas are a different breed. They will never be cowed by the shaming tactics or gas lighting. They don't care if you label them tribalist or unsophisticated or whatever woke adjectives are flying around these days. They have sworn at the altar of Yoruba gods to defend the heritage of Yoruba people with any means necessary.

As I liberal Yoruba, I did my part to bring peace but unfortunately, the Ibos refused to heed my warning. I hope they will do a re-accessment and wonder why wherever they go in the world (Kano, Port Harcourt, Ghana, SA, Indonesia, Malaysia, Dubai etc.) people tend to have issues with them. Yorubas ALWAYS look the other way as Ibos do abominable things in Yorubaland. The liberal Yorubas have been able to stop the conservatives from reacting to these provocations over the years. However, those days are gone. The conservatives Yorubas would not allow anyone to hold them back any longer. And this is where the Ibos have to make a decision. And fast. Do you want to live peaceful among Yorubas and do you want to declare war by continuing to disrespect, taunt and attack Yoruba culture, heritage and land. The ball is in their court.

An interesting note: I ALWAYS find it fascinating that the Ibos will antagonize the Yorubas with one of their Lagos claims 'Lagos belongs to Bini' and yet even the Oba of Bini has never said ANYTHING on the issue. Its fascinating because the Ibos are attracting the anger of Yoruba people over something that Bini people should be championing. Who does that? If not someone who loves to stir up trouble and violence. You reap what you sow. You sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. A word is enough for the wise. Shikena.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Teeneyo(m): 2:58am On Mar 20, 2023
I wonder where d argument came from that GRV is igbo

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by PlayerMeji: 3:06am On Mar 20, 2023
Oh how I love to read these long epistles....

They give our 'people' something to chew until the next meal comes in....

grin grin

More still do I love it that it is still Yorubas that are writing all these epistles at least, it shows that there are moderate Yorubas amongst us unlike what 'our people' are trying to sell to the world... All yorubas are so so and so...

1 Like

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by CodeTemplar: 3:11am On Mar 20, 2023
The Lagos episode of this whole rigging tsunami isn't a Yoruba affair. It was an APC affair laundered with a Yoruba outlook.
The thugs were loyal to APC and that was clearly demonstrated in the case of Desmond Elliott's rejection being overturned by INEC and APC.
As for the Igbo vs Yoruba issue, Igbo's caused it. Years of senseless taunting of their host and insults was only hijacked to make APC into a Yoruba force that's trying to stop some invading Igbo's apparently. Those thugs used a two step scare tactic. Step one involves reducing potential LP supporters population at the units, step two involved forcing voters to choose APC and INEC writing results for APC. Step two was largely ignored by the media.
Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by plaindealer: 3:17am On Mar 20, 2023
Fake ipob rubbish, this rubbish exists only on NL, nowhere else and the crooked and fake ipob OP did not post any source for a reason, because he's lying.

We are used to your crooked games, lies, deception, emotional blackmail and fraudulent behavior, you and your ipob kind can not fool us.

It is not by force, go and worry about your own life in the SE and live us alone.

Intolerant, bigoted, angry, aggressive, bitter and anti-social losers..

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by franchasofficia: 3:43am On Mar 20, 2023
Lessons have been learned. Only a foolish Igbo person will refuse to learn a lesson and whatever befalls him or her is nobody's business.

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by smokinloud(m): 3:50am On Mar 20, 2023
Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by onumadu: 4:04am On Mar 20, 2023
The tragedy of Nigeria (because we will all continue to suffer it, make no mistake about it!), is that Yoruba will always find a way to turn EVERY Nigerian problem into an anti-Igbo propaganda campaign, and in the end, the country called Nigeria loses a chance for positive change.

Yoruba would ALWAYS find a way to turn every light of hope for positive transformation in Nigeria into an anti-Igbo propaganda.

They did it during Buhari/Jonathan contest in 2015. They successfully turned Jonathan into an Igbo presidency project (as if Igbo must never be Nigeria's president), and the rest is history. Between 2015 and today, would Jonathan not have performed better than Buhari, a president that his own former minister is asserting that there is no government in Nigeria?

They did it again during "End-Sars" uprising, turning a NATIONAL YOUTH UPRISING into an anti-Igbo campaign midway, and the thing died a natural death. They did it again when THIEF-nubu stole Nigeria's presidential elections, and are shamelessly defending him for his grand-theft.

They have just repeated it with GRV, a Yoruba man with an Igbo mother, turning his project into an Igbo project. Should Igbo deny GRV - a man who promised real change and freedom for Lagos, just because of what?

And when they do it, somehow like a satanic curse, the rest of Nigerians mumuishly follow them to blame Igbo, and the country is dragged back down again into the abyss of darkness and planet of the apes.

Why can't Yoruba for once accept that they hate Igbo and can't live with them in the same country, and be resolutely against one Nigeria concept, so that Igbo can at last have a country of their own, separate from Yoruba?

The vitriol and hate sown by Yoruba against Igbo in this last "demon-crazy" exercise in Nigeria has destroyed whatever hopes some neutral Igbo have in a united Nigeria. I mean which non-Yoruba goat will invest in Lagos now like before?

Wise Igbo like myself don't own a pin in Lagos. Never have and never will.
And whenever I have to use MMIA, I make sure to never even sleep over in Lagos, because I fear that my money may drop there.
You can call it whatever you want. I call it facing reality. cool

4 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by tooth4tooth: 5:41am On Mar 20, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:
when the Ibos spent decades insulting Yorubas, denigrating our culture, pissing on the graves of our heroes past like Awolowo and Abiola, tauting us about Lagos etc. I was one of those who warned them. I made it clear to them that the freedom and accomodation they are afforded in Yorubaland is largely due to liberal Yorubas. But the decades of unguarded social media abuse is likely to make conservative Yorubas turn on them and when it starts it will be almost impossible to turn off the faucet. The Ibos usually respond with we own Lagos, or Lagos is Yorubaland or Lagos is Biniland etc. and there is nothing you can do about it. Some Ibos even went as far as threatening sexual violence and death to Tinubu's wife just because she had a disagreement with PDP let out gorilla Dino Maleye.

Fast forward to 2023 elections, right out for the gates Ibos wasted no time to denigrate and spread despicable fake news about Yoruba candidates especially BolaAhmed Tinubu. There is no negative news under the sun they did not attach to Tinubu. This is very recent history, so no need for me to go into the details. Then the presidential election came and went and Ibos went back to their tried and trusted rant of 'Lagos is a no man's land.' Then it escalated to Ibos saying 'we will chase out Yoruba obas out of Lagos when Chinedu wins the election.' And so many other grossly inciteful comment.

So, the conservative Yorubas decided that its time to really show the Ibos that the gentility of a tiger, is not an indication of docility. The conservative Yorubas dared them to elected Chinedu in Yorubaland. The Ibos took up the challenge and lost woefully.

This is what happened. This is a summary of the recent history of the events we see today. Have the Ibos learnt their lessons? I hope so. If they haven't then I will warn them again, the conservative Yorubas are a different breed. They will never be cowed by the shaming tactics or gas lighting. They don't care if you label them tribalist or unsophisticated or whatever woke adjectives are flying around these days. They have sworn at the altar of Yoruba gods to defend the heritage of Yoruba people with any means necessary.

As I liberal Yoruba, I did my part to bring peace but unfortunately, the Ibos refused to heed my warning. I hope they will do a re-accessment and wonder why wherever they go in the world (Kano, Port Harcourt, Ghana, SA, Indonesia, Malaysia, Dubai etc.) people tend to have issues with them. Yorubas ALWAYS look the other way as Ibos do abominable things in Yorubaland. The liberal Yorubas have been able to stop the conservatives from reacting to these provocations over the years. However, those days are gone. The conservatives Yorubas would not allow anyone to hold them back any longer. And this is where the Ibos have to make a decision. And fast. Do you want to live peaceful among Yorubas and do you want to declare war by continuing to disrespect, taunt and attack Yoruba culture, heritage and land. The ball is in their court.

An interesting note: I ALWAYS find it fascinating that the Ibos will antagonize the Yorubas with one of their Lagos claims 'Lagos belongs to Bini' and yet even the Oba of Bini has never said ANYTHING on the issue. Its fascinating because the Ibos are attracting the anger of Yoruba people over something that Bini people should be championing. Who does that? If not someone who loves to stir up trouble and violence. You reap what you sow. You sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. A word is enough for the wise. Shikena.
Thanks you for this piece. It is the absolute truth. Now Yorubas are speaking out. When you draw people to the wall, you probably end up getting hurt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by onumadu: 6:58am On Mar 20, 2023
@Igbo woman, if you make the mistake of marrying a Yoruba man or have children by him, all those children are OMO ALE.
They have no future politically in Yoruba land. In other words, they will be bats, (usu in igbo).
Deal with it. cool

4 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by sagitariusbaby(m): 8:10am On Mar 20, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:

you guys talk as if Yorubas are not resident in other states. For instance, Yorubas especially those from Osun state have a full quarter in my community, they even have their mosque called Ansarudeen Mosque there in Edo state. Most of them have so much integrated that you can no longer tell them apart from my people. My father's first grand child was born to a Yoruba man from Osun state who was also born and brought up in my place and still lives there till date.

Yoruba are everywhere and freely doing their thing, the winner of FCT Senate is a Yoruba woman mind you, the natives who owns Abuja voted massively for her.

Yoruba are not the only tribe accommodating other tribes in Nigeria, we all are accommodating each other. But Tinubu has now destroyed all that fragile relationship and I doubt if Yorubas are not now among the most hated tribes in Nigeria. Almost everyone in my community feels sad for the Igbos for what the Yorubas did and still doing to them. Mind you, the war you guys are drumming for will affect us all and yes Igbos are not strangers to it. The whole world is laughing at the once sophisticated Yoruba tribe now being brought down by greed. The Igbos have not been resident in Aso Rock since 1999 but Yorubas have been there just as the seating VP is one of you. But you said Igbos shouldn't aspire to such positions as everything they do is an affront on your little weak ego.

Yoruba, you are losing your allies because of your treatment of Igbos. Travel out of that camp you call Lagos and see that there are opportunities all over Nigeria, don't be deceived, Nigeria is far bigger than Lagos.

8 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by olisaEze(m): 8:17am On Mar 20, 2023
I wonder why this one is crying over already spilt milk! Nigerians suffered hard for eight years because of one Yoruba man’s lust for power! The things that were said and done to get him there by his clansmen can not be undone with a few paragraphs of flowery words. Shockingly even the immigrant Yorubas to Lagos called the real owners of Lagos slaves (cc FFK) just so they could lump them with Igbo and continue the rape of their land & resources under a pseudo pan-Yoruba identity unhindered. That Enugu was once the capital of the SE doesn’t mean that a man from Anambra will go there and call the Wawa people slaves to get to power. But for Tinubu & his urchins, there is no line they will not cross for power. They have sown the wind and in time will reap the whirlwind!

7 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Obaaderemi2: 11:22am On Mar 20, 2023
sagitariusbaby:
you guys talk as if Yorubas are not resident in other states. For instance, Yorubas especially those from Osun state have a full quarter in my community, they even have their mosque called Ansarudeen Mosque there in Edo state. Most of them have so much integrated that you can no longer tell them apart from my people. My father's first grand child was born to a Yoruba man from Osun state who was also born and brought up in my place and still lives there till date.

Yoruba are everywhere and freely doing their thing, the winner of FCT Senate is a Yoruba woman mind you, the natives who owns Abuja voted massively for her.

Yoruba are not the only tribe accommodating other tribes in Nigeria, we all are accommodating each other. But Tinubu has now destroyed all that fragile relationship and I doubt if Yorubas are not now among the most hated tribes in Nigeria. Almost everyone in my community feels sad for the Igbos for what the Yorubas did and still doing to them. Mind you, the war you guys are drumming for will affect us all and yes Igbos are not strangers to it. The whole world is laughing at the once sophisticated Yoruba tribe now being brought down by greed. The Igbos have not been resident in Aso Rock since 1999 but Yorubas have been there just as the seating VP is one of you. But you said Igbos shouldn't aspire to such positions as everything they do is an affront on your little weak ego.

Yoruba, you are losing your allies because of your treatment of Igbos. Travel out of that camp you call Lagos and see that there are opportunities all over Nigeria, don't be deceived, Nigeria is far bigger than Lagos.
Did the Yorubas in your place at Edo ever call your land a no man's land?

4 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by skj1377(m): 11:38am On Mar 20, 2023
I can see your actually aloof probably because you say you ,,"have to take a flight to vote "meaning your not living in Nigeria it Lagos regularly. Anyway, Allow the 750k or so voters who stay in Lagos day in day out decide who will govern them . You can keep your diaspora opinion to yourself . When dealing with a mad person you can't be civil. We know the objective of these easterners more than you do and we are ready to sacrifice whatever reputation we have built up over the years to put them in their place. Just imagine this foolish writeup.
zumbigbo:
An abiding memory of Nigerian elections that I have is from 2011. I flew to Nigeria to vote that year — I had planned to vote in the Presidential elections and booked my ticket accordingly but the last minute cancellation, per usual, meant I ended up voting in the gubernatorial elections.
At my polling unit, the ACN (as APC was back then) party agent turned up, his pocket bulging with cash to buy some votes. But then an amazing thing happened — people turned down his cash and said they were going to vote for Fashola (they seemed to be suspicious that he wanted to bribe them to vote for someone else). The results were later tallied and Fashola won that polling unit by a crushing landslide, in the same way he won the state with more than 80% of the votes cast. He was a genuinely popular governor and had had an above average first term (due to a number of factors including being flush with funds withheld by Obasanjo and released by Yar’Adua at the start of his term in 2007). The ACN agent later pleaded with the voters to allow him at least buy them drinks after the votes had been counted. They obliged him and he commandeered several bottles of big Fanta for anyone who wanted one.
Looking back now, that was the last time APC — or whatever you might call Bola Tinubu’s political machine — won an election cleanly in Lagos. And it is not hard to see why. Fashola himself had a lacklustre second term and it cost a lot to impose a lacklustre Ambode on the state in 2015. Getting rid of Ambode in 2019 also cost a lot as was replacing him with an equally lacklustre Sanwo-Olu. As the quality of governance has deteriorated, the nastiness and divisiveness required to keep hold of the state has increased.
It was in the service of trying to impose the lacklustre Ambode in 2015 that we can mark what was the opening shot of what was to come — the Oba of Lagos telling Igbos in Lagos to vote for Ambode or perish in the Lagos Lagoon. To put it mildly, things have only gotten worse since then. Given that this is Nigeria we are talking about, I don’t want to say we have reached the apotheosis of this ugliness — but what we have seen in the campaign to return Sanwo-Olu as Lagos Governor has been nothing short of shocking. These are things that can never be put back in the bottle, even with the best will in the world and certainly not overnight.
I want to confess something. Being Yoruba has allowed me a kind of humble brag. This is not something any self-respecting Yoruba person will shout with a megaphone or stand on a rooftop to yell about, but it is there. It is that in the Ethnic Byzantium that is Nigeria, we were a bit better. That in the often dangerous intolerance that flares up any and everywhere across Nigeria every five market days we were a bit better. We generally just want to throw a nice party, dance, go to university to study law and mostly live at peace with our neighbours. And the biggest evidence for this humble brag has always been Lagos. It was a place that could be held up as evidence of Nigerians of all hues and ethnicities living in tension with each other but getting by, somehow. Some problems cannot be solved — such as deep rooted feelings of identify — but they can be managed. Civilisation, afterall, is often no more than a wafer covering a volcano. And Lagos was managing, somehow.
The foolishness of this humble brag has been to mistake things held together by nothing other than norms as some kind of natural law like gravity. You cannot make a law for everything, you have to rely on people simply doing the right thing or behaving to a certain standard. And operating a democracy makes this more, not less, so — politicians simply have to choose not to do certain things otherwise the law will always be one step behind them. They have to choose to try to win over voters and not rely on cheating in elections, otherwise no electoral act will be good enough to keep them in line. They have to choose to serve people and not to enrich themselves from the public purse, otherwise no anticorruption law will be good enough to stop them.
And in a multiethnic boiling pot like Nigeria, and Lagos in particular, they have to choose not to go there. They have to choose not to start a fire that can burn out of control with no one knowing how to put it out, in the service of their short term interests. We may pass laws on hate speech or other such things but that will usually be at the cost of lives already lost and distrust deeply sown.
What we have seen in Lagos, and will soon see in Abuja, is what it looks like when people who will absolutely go there are threatened with a loss of their privileges. They will say anything. They will stoke any sentiments. They will threaten and use violence. They will press traditional religions into the service of their personal ambition.
Absolutely nothing is off limits to Bola Tinubu and his gang. The point for them is power for the sake of having it and ensuring no one else has it. It is a money making enterprise and if even after 24 years, people dare to ask for something else…well, they are not allowed to have that.
I try not to have any regrets in life but there is one I can never quite shake off. It is that, despite living in Kaduna for eight years when growing up, I cannot speak Hausa. I have some standard excuses when I’m asked to explain this oddity but the truth is that we lived in fear in our time there. We were safe inside the military base we lived in but venturing outside of that base carried an incredible amount of risk. Those were the days of incessant religious riots in Kaduna (some might say those days have hardly gone away) and we were double minorities — Yoruba and Christian. We did not have a single Hausa neighbour inside the base with whom we could speak Hausa — the only chance we had to do this was in school and there Hausa was more or less banned.
Many times, from the safety of inside the base, we would see dark plumes of smoke from somewhere in town. Something, somewhere had stoked some tension and a building or two had been burnt.
In my life, this has been my only experience of living in fear due to being some kind of minority. I can say it was absolutely not fun. I definitely do not recall enjoying the religious baiting that was par for the course at the time. And it goes without saying I am not a fan of living in fear for my physical safety because of who I am.
Now to be clear, the mere fact of being a minority does not automatically confer innocence on anyone. Nigeria is a bewilderingly diverse place and some tribalism is often just a matter of self preservation. Minorities can often give as good as they get. There is also space for ethnic pride even in a country of ethnic nationalities — the line to draw being that you can be proud of your ethnic group insofar as you do not link the pride you feel to the inferiority of other groups.
But Lagos crossed whatever lines there were in this campaign. Immediately after the Presidential campaign, there was only one angle considered — baiting Igbos. All the frontline APC politicians in Lagos, including Bola Tinubu himself, are not originally from Lagos. This should ordinarily be part of the humble brag I spoke about earlier but you will not hear them ever say it because of the fear that it might legitimise other people’s claims about the state. And so we saw an unbelievable campaign where the guy who is as Lagos as they come was branded as Igbo and there was no bottom to this ugliness, including the use of physical violence. Bigotry is always a low information exercise and so we saw even Yorubas branded as Igbos in the absence of facial markings that might make their ethnicity clear.
In 1999, I felt something as a Yoruba Nigerian. The whole country stepped aside for Yorubas to have a free run at the presidency. It’s not as if a Yoruba man could not win the presidency without that free run at it — afterall Abiola had done just that six years before and it has happened again since — but it was a grand gesture by the rest of Nigeria to compensate Yorubas for what Abiola had suffered. As we have seen with the breakdown of various zoning ‘agreements’, it was not a given that everyone else would agree to this ceding of the highest office in the land to the Yorubas. But they did and it was a fine thing to do.
To see how easily the Yorubas have been conned by Bola Tinubu’s personal ambition this campaign has shocked me. 1999 is not some ancient memory. It is fresh in many minds. It turns out that all that was needed was someone willing to go there and the Yorubas could be easily herded into a petulant and entitled Awa l’okan campaign. The Yoruba button was there to be pressed all the while. It was not hidden or a different kind of button. It just needed someone willing to press it.
And all this for what?
You are not suspending logic for one of your finest sons. You are not putting your heart over your head for someone who summons emotions of pride in you. You are doing it for Bola Tinubu. Bola Tinubu. Because, make no mistake about it, this is hardly about Sanwo-Olu returning as governor of Lagos. It is about ensuring the survival of the patronage network, the layers of thuggery, the political ‘structure’ and the troughs from which the various snouts feed from in Lagos and which all combine to ensure that any kind of transformative development of Lagos is simply impossible.
Years of delicately balanced ethnic relations. Years of intermarriage and friendships. Years of trading and doing business together. Years of building up Lagos into an economic juggernaut with the help of friends from all across the country, beyond what the state might hope to be running on its own strength alone. Years of raising capital from Igbos and so many other ‘non-Lagosians’.
You sold all this childishly and so very cheaply. You were willing to throw all this away and burn it all down for Bola Tinubu. Bola Tinubu. Igbos are not some random outsiders or nobodies. They are deeply embedded in the fabric of Nigeria and punch far above their economic weight in Lagos. You turned their identity into a slur and in doing so there was no line you were not willing to cross. For Bola Tinubu.
Even going as far as to downgrade the status of Lagos as an economic powerhouse and declare that its just like any other state in Nigeria with none of its advantages or the things that make it a magnet for people from across Nigeria. For Bola Tinubu. What manner of victory have you won?The ability to use Lagos as some kind of example for Nigeria, this you threw away for the man who, more than any other, has debased Yoruba traditions without a care in the world?
Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by ubest1(m): 12:02pm On Mar 20, 2023
Who called Lagos No man land, plz indicate, you Yoruba's are running N/D oil no noise, thank God ur brother now president select, we waiting for his leadership moves first
Obaaderemi2:

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by sagitariusbaby(m): 1:06pm On Mar 20, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
its on record that the very first person to call Lagos a no man's land was Pa Jakande of blessed memory. Beside you yourselves call it a no man's land when a member of the lower House in Abuja will jump back to Kogi state to contest for a governorship post while still representing Lagos at the national assembly. Same with senators who represents Lagos and later jump to Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo state for same position. Since 1999 no single Lagos state real indigine has ever governed that state. So Lagos is a no man's land and it will remain so until you lots start acknowledging the real Lagosians their true pride of place. What's good for the goose is good for the gander

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Obaaderemi2: 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2023
sagitariusbaby:
its on record that the very first person to call Lagos a no man's land was Pa Jakande of blessed memory. Beside you yourselves call it a no man's land when a member of the lower House in Abuja will jump back to Kogi state to contest for a governorship post while still representing Lagos at the national assembly. Same with senators who represents Lagos and later jump to Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo state for same position. Since 1999 no single Lagos state real indigine has ever governed that state. So Lagos is a no man's land and it will remain so until you lots start acknowledging the real Lagosians their true pride of place. What's good for the goose is good for the gander
Ode, jakande was talking about the time from 1860s up to 1954 when Lagos was the capital of the British colony here. You need to know that there's a difference between Lagos island and Lagos State. Is Lagos island still the capital of Nigeria.

No man's land ko. The capital was moved to Abuja not only because Abuja is Central but also because Lagos is dominated by a big tribe, the Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Obaaderemi2: 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2023
ubest1:
Who called Lagos No man land, plz indicate, you Yoruba's are running N/D oil no noise, thank God ur brother now president select, we waiting for his leadership moves first
Do we go to Niger Delta and say their land is no man's land or abuse them? Our oil experts work there quietly and don't meddle in the local politics.

1 Like

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:57pm On Mar 20, 2023
sagitariusbaby:

Read and comprehend. Your shaming tactics will not work. We now know its a ruse to gaslight and deceive. We have passed that stage. If the whole universe like let them assign to us the most tribalistic people in the entire universe na your business. Who u epp? Tell me what Edo love has ever done for Yoruba. You push Ibos to go all over social media to say Yorubaland belongs to Edo. The foolish Ibos don't know they're be used by you. Tell your lovely never do wrong holy non-tribalistic Ibos to continue disrespecting Yorubaland. Shebi na una send dem? Abi I lie? Or what do the Ibos have to gain from antagonizing Yorubas over something that Edos should be championing?

And what did Yoruba do to Ibo? Did Yorubas tell Ibos to slave for PDP for more than 20 years without nothing to show for it? Is it Yorubas fault that PDP chose to give their ticket to another Fulani after Buhari? When we were forming alliance to form APC, what did the Ibos say when we invited them? They called us amala, muslim and almajiri party. Sworn to never want anything to do with us and our 'mushroom' party. We did not fight them but continued on our mission. The same almajiri and amala party that zoned its presidency to the South, while PDP they slaved for since 1999 gave gave their slot to another Fulani. Is that not what frustrated Obituary to go an hijack labor party?.

This is recent history. Your attempt at obsfucation is laughable. Go and sleep. U no sabi anything. If you papa like make him born 2 million Yoruba grandchildren. At the end of the day, na him blokos him use enter t0t0. Getat!

2 Likes

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Godfullsam(m): 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2023
onumadu:
@Igbo woman, if you make the mistake of marrying a Yoruba man or have children by him, all those children are OMO ALE.
They have no future politically in Yoruba land. In other words, they will be bats, (usu in igbo).
Deal with it. cool

It has rightly been predicted that you guys will embark on uncontrollable sour cry once things didn't go your ways.

No one is surprised @ your wail @ all. It is not unexpected!

Pls note that yorubas didn't reject Gbadebo/chinedu Rhodes because his mother is an Igbo woman.

We have many people occupying various elective positions in yoruba land whose mothers are igbos.
The current governor of osun state has an Igbo mother, Desmond Olalekan Elliot who just won surulere house of reps in lagos also has an Igbo mother, the current governor of ONDO state has an Igbo wife etc. All these people contested and won elections in their various states without any discrimination.

What distinguished Gbadebo from these people is that, they have never at any time insulted their own people. They showed love and were loved in return. Gbadebo on the other hand have shown through his social media utterances how he hates the yorubas.

He even went on air to tell the whole world that he does not 'think yoruba'. Do you know what that means? This is a guy who can't even speak yoruba fluently o (that is not even a big deal).

The main reason why he was roundly rejected was because of his utterance against his people and not because his mother is an Igbo as you ignorantly believed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Yoruba Shame (by Femi Fawehinmi) by Charleys: 2:21pm On Mar 20, 2023
Shame on any Igbo man or southerner going to a Yoruba led church after noticing what their church members did in this election period.

Watch your back when associating with snakes.
Don't let them use your Igbo daughters to clean up their inferior genetics. Tell them to go meet their ugly women and give birth to ugly children as they usually do.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Tinubu Should Do In Niger Republic By Reno Omikri / Many Bakassi Residents Prefer Nigeria / Nigerian Big Player In Bank Fraud Jailed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.