Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? (712 Views)

Why Tout In East Are Called Agbero,yoruba Nomenclature / Why The Igbos Feel Marginalized / Why Do Igbos Hate Buhari? - Mustapha Gembu, Hausa Activist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by BenedictAbajue(m): 3:26pm On Mar 21, 2023
Ever wondered how they feel?
There's nothing wrong with the term 'Afonja' but Yorubas deem it as a derogatory word. They even insulted and admonished GRV for it.
Practically all Yorubas in Lagos have once used the term 'Omo Igbo'. Have you ever asked how Igbos feel when they are called that? What If Igbos used 'AFONJA' the way Yorubas use 'OMO IGBO'?
For example, 'Je gote ihe na aka nwanyi Afonja na no na bus stop'.
Would you feel okay with it?
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by SlurUsername1: 3:30pm On Mar 21, 2023
Have ever bothered to ask what Omo Ibo means in ENGLISH?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by otuomasirichi: 3:31pm On Mar 21, 2023
Omo Ibo is good, nothing bad attached to it undecided
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by tolue42(m): 3:33pm On Mar 21, 2023
There's nothing bad in calling someone "Omo Igbo" I swear.. it simply means someone from Igbo land..

Even we yorubas do call ourselves "Omo Yoruba "

There's nothing wrong with that!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Amya(f): 3:34pm On Mar 21, 2023
We could care less.

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Dentidon: 3:34pm On Mar 21, 2023
Omo Igbo is child of Igbo, similar to Omo Yoruba. How is it derogatory? You dey mad?

4 Likes

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by nwadiuko1(m): 3:34pm On Mar 21, 2023
Yo the best of my understanding...Omo Igbo literally means "child of Igbo'' or "offspring of Igbo" no big deal....

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by BenedictAbajue(m): 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2023
Dentidon:
Omo Igbo is child of Igbo, similar to Omo Yoruba. How is it derogatory? You dey mad?
How is Afonja derogatory?

2 Likes

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Urheadmaster(m): 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2023
My Yoruba Babar do call me Omo Igbo each time I go to his shop and i have never found it offensive

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by tolue42(m): 3:36pm On Mar 21, 2023
BenedictAbajue:

Someone is correcting you, you're still bringing up something else...

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by wahahlawahala: 3:36pm On Mar 21, 2023
BenedictAbajue:
one of u just explained the way u ppl dey mean am not long... So just shhhh
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Dentidon: 3:37pm On Mar 21, 2023
BenedictAbajue:

Are you asking me? You dey craze?
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Mindlog: 3:38pm On Mar 21, 2023
I feel nothing.
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by KvngDavidIV(m): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2023
I don’t see it as anything Sha, here Everyone calls me OMO IGBO Cos na Yoruba full here

It could seem disrespectful if you’re being called by children. Instead of bro Toni I want to buy goat

You’ll hear OMO IGBO I want to buy goat😡

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by MrBiGGEST(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2023
Tell us about ofe nmanu?

Yòruba's have no derogatory name for any tribe in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by Goodmarlian: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2023
nothing wrong with omoibo

1 Like

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by flokii: 4:00pm On Mar 24, 2023
MrBiGGEST:
Tell us about ofe nmanu?

Yòruba's have no derogatory name for any tribe in Nigeria.

They mock Yorubas with the statement ofe mmanu (oil eaters) and I have pondered over time on who the real oil eaters are if not Igbos themselves... they prepare a soup (banga or so) that is 90% oil and are comfortable eating such.

I check the ewedu, gbegiri (bean soup), efo riro and likes we have but yet to see any that comes close to Igbo oil delicacy banga.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by lexylaw40: 4:10pm On Mar 24, 2023
Omo Yoruba is what Yorubas call themselves....omo Igbo means Igbo man....omo yankee mean Americans etc..so how is that derogatory
Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by lexylaw40: 4:11pm On Mar 24, 2023
It seems like the Igbos want us to call them omo Yoruba.....very stupid race

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Igbos Feel When They Are Called 'ọmọ Igbo'? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 4:33pm On Mar 24, 2023
Omo Igbo is a good thing. It means Igbo man or woman or this Igbo person. So Igbos have no problem with that.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Didn’t Get 25% Votes In FCT, Can’t Be President, Obi Tells Court. See all / Nigeria Air Defense System In Action (video) / Alimosho Federal Constituency: The Untold Story Of The 2023 Presidential Electio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.