Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari (629 Views)

Zamfara Stalemate Will Be Resolved Before Elections – Buhari / I’ll Give Nigeria A Legacy Of Free, Fair Elections — Buhari / Why I’m Not Afraid Of Free And Fair Elections – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by TheRareGem1(f): 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2023
Following the conduct of the presidential, governorship and legislative elections, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Tuesday, in Abuja said he is proud of the Nigerian electorate who have realised their power and “ultimately decided who won or lost.”

However, he expressed sadness that some candidates, especially those of the All Progressives Congress, lost their bid.

“I am unhappy that some candidates lost in the election. But I am inspired by the fact that voters were able to make their own decision, to decide who won and who lost,” Buhari told the outgoing United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Beth Leonard, at the State House, Abuja.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, disclosed this in a statement he signed on Tuesday titled ‘Recent elections proof of nation’s voter vibrancy, maturity, says President Buhari.’

The PUNCH reports that the February 25 and March 18 elections, were marred by varying degrees of irregularities and violence which drew criticism from large sections of the electorate and the international community.

Some of the opposition parties have also called for the cancellation of results and a fresh re-run, blaming the Independent National Electoral Commission for failing to transmit results electronically.

Nonetheless, Buhari said he was “completely satisfied” with his own role in the election process staying above it, without meddling or interfering

He lauded Nigerians for their “remarkable passion towards democracy exhibited through the choices they made in the presidential, National Assembly and the subsequent governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections” saying “Nigeria’s democracy has truly matured.”

According to him, “People are realising their power. Given the chance of a free and fair vote, nobody can tell them what to do.

“I am unhappy that some candidates lost in the election. But I am inspired by the fact that voters were able to make their own decision, to decide who won and who lost.

“With the currency change, there was no money to spread around but even then, I told voters to take the money and vote according to their consciences.”

The president commended the outgoing US Ambassador to Nigeria for the achievements recorded in Nigeria-US relations in the three-and-half years she served.

He chronicled several challenges faced by Nigeria as the country strives to unite her diverse communities and achieve national development.

Buhari also cited the way the US is holding together as a nation nearly 300 years after it was founded. He expressed the hope that Nigeria will continue to make progress in building a nation out of her different and competitive communities.

He added that he enjoyed working with Mrs Leonard and wished that she had more time to serve here.

In his answer to a question posed by the diplomat, the president said he plans to be a “big landlord” back at home, working his farms and tending his more than 300 animals.

“I am eager to go,” he said; a narrative he had iterated for months.

In her remarks, the American Ambassador said she was happy with the progress made in Nigeria-US relations in these three and half years, specifically citing the recent institution of a five-year visa regime between the two countries; active collaboration in security and the supply of military hardware including war planes and the soon-to-come fighter helicopters; and also cooperation in the health sector to fight HIV and Covid response, giving assurances that US will continue to assist in the strengthening of Nigeria’s health sector.

Leonard expressed her gratitude and that of the US government in the continuing role of the president in ensuring regional security and strengthening of democracy as a system of government, citing his strong response against the recent surge of coups-d’état in West Africa as worthy of commendation.

She expressed hope that Buhari would ensure the removal of fuel subsidy even as he prepares to leave office.

https://punchng.com/nigerians-decided-who-won-lost-elections-buhari/?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by nepapole(m): 8:19pm On Mar 21, 2023
Wateva!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by YujiroHanma: 8:20pm On Mar 21, 2023
Ok
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by God1000(m): 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2023
Not true Mr president.

Some unscrupulous elements caused chaos and mayhem across the country and rigged the election
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Africblogng: 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2023
History will remember your government. From start to the end sir
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Faber(m): 8:23pm On Mar 21, 2023
If not for Obidients, politicians for carry us handicap again...

But Obidients made it very hard to rig and also to survive after rigging.

Next level now, is legal fireworks, many will still loose their seats through the courts

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by LeoDeKing: 8:24pm On Mar 21, 2023
Mbok, what is Buhari saying? Is it that my last letter didn't get to him?

Okay, lemme write another one.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by voltron14: 8:25pm On Mar 21, 2023
Some are bitter but they know the truth.
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Urheadmaster(m): 8:26pm On Mar 21, 2023
Tinubu will be first.
Faber:
If not for Obidients, politicians for carry us handicap again...

But Obidients made it very hard to rig and also to survive after rigging.

Next level now, is legal fireworks, many will still loose their seats through the courts

His victory is based on discredited mandate tongue
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Lemos14: 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2023
Can that old lettuce just rest with his ancestors? Smh
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Officialgarri: 8:51pm On Mar 21, 2023
Mehn, all I can say is Buhari is very correct but we must also admit that Tinubu is a political genius ..

1.That guy picked Muslim Muslim ticket on purpose to get a chunk of Northern support

2. He played Obi by giving him more popularity to deprive his major contender (Atiku) the Eastern votes.

I duff my hat for that old man! I'm taking notes

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Ceenachi: 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2023
No, under your watch and instructions, Mahmood Yakubu decided

Buhari and INEC decided who won and lost the 2023 general "selections".
Everything about Buhari and his INEC is election rigging.
They ensured their preferred candidates were "selected".
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Prestige77: 9:22pm On Mar 21, 2023
Officialgarri:
Mehn, all I can say is Buhari is very correct but we must also admit that Tinubu is a political genius ..

1.That guy picked Muslim Muslim ticket on purpose to get a chunk of Northern support

2. He played Obi by giving him more popularity to deprive his major contender (Atiku) the Eastern votes.

If he done all you said without rigging,I would have also given him 72 gbosa. But interestingly his genius could not help him and him and his party embraced rigging.
Shame!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by MajTee: 9:23pm On Mar 21, 2023
and inec selected the drug baron

Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Burruchaga71(m): 9:34pm On Mar 21, 2023
Officialgarri:

The IDIOT who loses in his state of origin Osun, loses in Lagos where he govern for good eight years even with intimidation, loses in FCT and you're still calling him genius.
You must be high on cow dung. In fact Tinubu is nobody in today's politics.
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Scream(m): 9:43pm On Mar 21, 2023
May 29th seems like forever.
Re: Nigerians Decided Who Won, Lost Elections —buhari by Jostoman: 10:09pm On Mar 21, 2023
Or you and Inec?

(1) (Reply)

APC Suspends SGF, Boss Mustapha Indefinitely / 2023 Legal Fireworks: Why Tinubu Appears Unpertubed / People Who Mentioned The Words "Interim Government"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.