Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. (873 Views)

Will The New Electoral Law Eliminate Rigging In 2023? / 2023: INEC Picks Holes In New Electoral Act, Seeks Practice Direction / 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by BluntCrazeMan: 6:06am On Mar 26, 2023
I am asking questions here please.
I need to know..

It used to be 180-days (about 6-months) for tribunal..
And 60-days (about 2-months) for supreme court.
Making a total of 240-days (about 8-months).

I want to know if the new Electoral Act 2022 still provides the same timeline for Presidential Election Tribunal Cases..??
(Or whether the timeline had changed..)**

And if so,, I want to know the relevant sections..

THANKS..
Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by BluntCrazeMan: 6:18am On Mar 26, 2023
I am aware that the Petitioners have 21 days -- from the date of the declaration of results -- to file their cases at the tribunal.

I wouldn't find the length of time they've got to serve the Respondents inside the Electoral Act.

But then, the Respondents also have 21 days -- from the date they were served the petition -- to file their reply at the tribunal.

(That already is 42-days-plus gone)..

And that is,, before the hearing would begin.
Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by BluntCrazeMan: 6:19am On Mar 26, 2023
Fergie001, Litigator..
Other learned men of the law...

Please, help me out on this one abegg.
Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by muykem: 6:36am On Mar 26, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
I need to know..

I want to know if the new Electoral Act 2022 still provides the same timeline for Presidential Election Tribunal Cases..??

THANKS..
Yes
Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by BluntCrazeMan: 7:55am On Mar 26, 2023
muykem:
Yes
Can you quote the relevant sections abbegg
Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by fergie001: 12:36pm On Mar 26, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Can you quote the relevant sections abbegg
The 180-days window is not a product of the Electoral Act per se.

It is a product of the Constitution. S285(5),(6),(7) of the 1999 CFRN and was only re-echoed by S132 of the Electoral Act 2022 as amended.

The timeline is unshakeable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by shanaka4u(m): 12:55pm On Mar 26, 2023
The stipulation as to number of days is a constitional requirement and not by the electoral Act. It has not changed. Still 180 days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:14pm On Mar 26, 2023
fergie001:

The 180-days window is not a product of the Electoral Act per se.

It is a product of the Constitution. S285(5),(6),(7) of the 1999 CFRN and was only re-echoed by S132 of the Electoral Act 2022 as amended.

The timeline is unshakeable.

Thanks so much

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Timeline Of Presidential Election Tribunal According To The New Electoral Act. by ganisucks(f): 5:17pm On Mar 26, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
I need to know..

THANKS..
Whether it is 500 days or 1000 years, it is irrelevant. Best prepare for ING.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: This Is The Fate Of Ndigbo In Nigeria. / Tinubu, His Men And Supporters Shivers As The North Roars / Seized Vessel With Stolen Oil Set Ablaze By Security Operatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.