Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,609 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu (2511 Views)

One Of The Appeal Court Judges On Kano Case Is CJN’s Nephew - Chidi Odinkalu / Chidi Odinkalu And Governor El-Rufai In War Of Words / Court Indicts Chidi Odinkalu, Awards ₦250 Million As Damages To Odili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 27, 2023
Blazebond:
Actually seun tweets on Twitter is funny,it seems the guy really wants the love and validation from the south-easterners so badly and they are rejecting him fully,tbh it is pathetic, weakness is the most ugly and pathetic side of a human that I despise.
haha seun is an irredeemable simp. People like that were banished from their own society in the past because if you leave them they normally lead to the fall of their own people's kingdom

3 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by vhykeeytor(m): 9:59am On Mar 27, 2023
searchng4love:

March 27, 2023

The faux apologia of Seun Osewa

Professor Chidi Odinkalu

By Chidi Odinkalu

On or around March 20, 2023, two days after the ballot into the offices of state governors and state legislators which took place on March 18, one Seun Osewa issued what he ostentatiously titled: “An Apology to the Igbo People of Nigeria.” A 40-year-old graduate of one of Nigeria’s best universities, the Obafemi Awolowo University, in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Mr. Osewa is best known as the mind behind Nairaland, the rumbustious digital bulletin board where Nigerians trade all manner of things on the ether, from the sublime to the egregious.

Addressed to “the Igbo People”, the statement claimed to “sincerely apologise for allowing a toxic political banner advert which said: ‘Lagos can never be run from Anambra; go and vote’ to run on Nairaland for several hours on Wednesday, March 15, 2023.” It described the advertisement as part of “an ethnically divisive political campaign aimed at securing Lagos State for the ruling party by instilling fear in Yoruba people, making them believe that Igbo people intended to ‘take over’ Lagos State”.

Mr. Osewa ultimately blamed the advert on the absence of “clear policy against accepting negative and ethnically divisive ads on Nairaland” before generously disclosing that having made N16,000 (sixteen thousand Naira) from the advert, he will “double it and donate it to victims of political violence in Lagos”.

It is not entirely clear what Mr. Osewa hoped to achieve with his “apology”. The response he got was anything but generous. Journalist, Fisayo Soyombo, accused him of being among people who are “led by their pockets”. Techpreneur, Osaretin Asemota, dismissed the release as “performative nonsense”. Chibuzor Okoronkwo accused Mr. Osewa’s release of “putting more salt to the injury”.

Mr. Osewa’s apology hardly helped its author. First, it came from a place that hardly abjured collective punishment on grounds of immutable identity. Ethnic politics may be de rigeur but, in Nigeria, Igbos don’t have a right to vote; citizens do. Those citizens come from any number of over 389 ethnicity and over 500 language groups. No ethnic group votes as a herd in Nigeria. Dozie Ikedife Jr. campaigned for Bola Tinubu just as Rinu Oduala supported Peter Obi.

Second, Mr. Osewa clearly conflated ethnic identity with political opinion, ending up with a determinism that equates one with the other. It was immaterial the ruling APC had high level support from such people as the incumbent governors of Ebonyi and Imo states as well as past governors of Abia and Enugu states, all of them Igbo. The people who set out to suppress the votes of Igbos in Lagos did so by rejecting the political autonomy of the citizen requiring them manumilitari to either renounce their ethnic identity or immolate their civic agency.

Third, Mr. Osewa appeared to assume that ethnic profiling can be attained with neat precision, which is far from the case because you sooner or later discover that many people look alike across lines of situational division. On the day of the state level election in Lagos, Iyanuoluwa Bolarinwa, a name that is unlikely to make the bearer Igbo, reported that she was “told to go back to Anambra”, one of the Igbo states, before being “rough handled, beaten and sent out because I look Igbo? Because I was not going to vote APC?”

Popular Youtuber, Sisi Yemmie, reported that party political heavies precluded her and her husband from voting because they were said to “look like Igbo people”. Mr. Osewa’s “apology to the Igbo people of Nigeria” did not extend to people like Sisi Yemmie or Iyanuoluwa, neither of whom is Igbo but both of whom suffered violence because of the kind of poison that he sold.

As if to add the salt of mirth to the injury and hurt from his advertisement, Mr. Osewa then promised to donate N32,000 (thirty two thousand Naira) to the “victims of political violence in Lagos”. Impressively, this part of Mr. Osewa’s release is the only one addressed to “victims”, an implicit concession that the class of the injured may have gone beyond the ethnic identity group of his target. Yet, he seems to assume that the victims are a coherent group, organised with a bank account in this season of no cash, and that their injuries can be cured by unconcealed hubris from the authors of their civic liquidation.

On any of these metrics, Mr. Osewa was probably best advised not to have bothered to issue his release. Without it, many people may have been willing to overlook the advertisement on Nairaland. After this release, most people will have few doubts as to where to place him. Mr. Osewa’s flippancy is characteristic of the people who instigated the ethnic violence and profiling or see themselves as benefiting from it. They want to turn the page as if nothing happened and quickly move on, summoning everyone along with dubious appeals to fatuous patriotism. Mr. Osewa’s “apology to Igbo People” ended with him asking his readers to “NOT give up on Nigeria”,with the promise that “TOGETHER we will overcome”. The capital letters are original to him. It is not clear, however, where he gets his collective pronoun to voice a promise he’s not in a position to make.

Like Mr. Osewa, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, basking in the afterglow of re-election, swiftly appealed to “a spirit of solidarity and togetherness that binds us as Lagosians”. His principal, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, claimed to be “pained by cases of ethnic slurs, which are capable of creating needless mis-characterisation reported in some locations”.

The victims, understandably, are slow to make haste. They must bury their dead, bind their wounds, immortalise their scars, re-discover dignity, and then wonder whether they belong to the country that invites them to healing and patriotism only when it is convenient. In the cycle of Nigeria’s elections, patriotism can have a shelf life of the 90 minute duration of a football match involving the men’s national team. In any case, it must be furloughed in the year preceding elections. The reality is no one ever moves on from this kind of violence. The perpetrators see benefit for themselves in the humiliations and exclusions that they can inflict, which come with munificent benefits in propinquity to power thereafter. Far from being humbled, their impunity emboldens them. The victims nurse their traumas, which many of their generations will inherit from them.

This is why election violence in Nigeria is chronic. As the Report of the Sheikh Lemu Presidential Panel on post-election violence (which remains classified) of 2011 makes clear, violence and ethnic profiling have “continually featured in almost all elections in Nigeria since the first election that was conducted in 1922. The temptation is to suggest that election violence is deeply embedded in the Nigerian political culture”.

This should make it obvious that ethnic profiling and accompanying violence of the sort that characterised these elections and necessitated Mr. Osewa’s faux apologia is not a fate for Nigeria. It is a century-old choice. The divisions that sustain this pathology are so essential to the DNA of power and politics in Nigeria that those declared winners do not have any incentives to bring it to an end. The narrative of inter-ethnic zero-sum game is profitable.

In strictly material terms, you can see their point. For Mr. Osewa, the cost is a promise to contribute N32,000 to a non-existent fund or entity. In a country in which the citizens or politicians are ready to bring this nonsense to an end, Mr. Osewa will not have the courage to rub this salt into the injury that he propagated.

The British High Commission, The United State Embassy and the European Union should as a matter of urgency add Seun Osewa's name among the likes of FFK and Bayo Onanuga. They and their families must not leave the shores of this country for anything whatsoever. This is my opinion.
Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 27, 2023
I hope Seun has learnt to treat his business as an entity and His person as a different entity. Whatever you do in business never mix both up. Never mix business with personal preferences. Bringing GRV on Nl in the first place was a huge error, allowing rivalry political advert, letting Nairaland to be used for Politics is a huge mistake. Never mix politics with business same way you don't mix pleasure with business.

I sincerely feel sorry for Seun. I hope and pray he overcomes this and Nairaland is not affected. For now I'd advice complete silence while his legal team prepares for what may come. He shouldn't even have apologized personally to start with. Send an admin or PRO to do that on behalf on Nairaland as a business while you maintain a clear slate.

Everything just scatter for man hand, pity sad

2 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by tamdun: 11:02am On Mar 27, 2023
Who removed my comment,let me repost it again

There was a time when u search yoruba on Google,you'll see results like yoruba are dirty,yoruba are poor etc and 99% of the result that Google will show you came from nairaland,these people don show yoruba shege,thank God we are fighting back,e no go better for woke, same people started the ibadan brown roof nonsense....

3 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by omonnakoda: 11:10am On Mar 27, 2023
DMerciful:
We do not take lightly anything that insults our collective sensibilities. Anybody who does not want a heavy backlash from the Igbos should be careful with anything that concerns us.
Nnamdi Kanu your Supreme leader said more
At the end all you resorted to was deliberate self harm by way of sit at home

1 Like

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Phoenix873: 11:17am On Mar 27, 2023
The nonsense they can't try in the North is what they are aggressively and boldly trying in the South West.
Why? They understand that they North will not hesitate to treat even the most minute of their fvck ups considering the painful history of the North bringing an AK47 to a fist fight in respect to past unprovoked Northern progroms on Igbos.
So they have been brain-reset to be of good and civil behaviors and refrain from even the slightest form of provocation while in and living in the North.

But come to the South West, years of being naturally civil, tolerant and accommodating has given the Igbos the opportunity to bring out and try to execute their naturally greedy and and aggressive characters, to the extent of seeing themselves as a determining factor in the choice of leadership/governance of a Yoruba state, something they dared not try in the North. The audacity!

Being too liberal and accommodating can sometimes be detrimental.

Seun and I share the same state of origin but he fall my hands.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by GeneralPula: 11:22am On Mar 27, 2023
Ofunaofu:
The truth is Seun allowed his platform to be used in propagating ethnic bigotry
Same Igbos started it and they were warned but they never listened. Check this thread below;

https://www.nairaland.com/745731/yoruba-marginalization-elders-met-jonathan/6

It’s a 2012 thread. See as Igbos Dey abuse Yoruba as far back as 2012 o..

Seun will forever regret doing that apology because of one yeye adverts..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by GeneralPula: 11:31am On Mar 27, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Oh I remember those days. It was horrible. This election was a wake up call for alot of Yorubas. I was shocked at how the Yorubas were running circles around the Igbos on twitter. Eye don open now.

Believe me, we've been placing them where they belong and it's been working already..

How I wish seun never apologized. I was so pained to the soul..

If not that I don't wanna misyarn, the words I have for seun are not friendly at all. For seun's mind, he's acting righteous... Righteous for who?

For the Igbos? I'm glad they're even showing him more shege. Learning the hard way has always been part of life..

3 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

Same Igbos started it and they were warned but they never listened. Check this thread below;

Seun will forever regret doing that apology for one advert.

Beware of those who will take your kindness for weakness.

Seun has severally fallen foul of that golden rule of human interaction and he always will because he is obsessed with being liked without realising that is not what is most important in life.

2 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by GeneralPula: 11:43am On Mar 27, 2023
Dsalvo:

Beware of those who will take your kindness for weakness.

Seun has severally fallen foul of that golden rule of human interaction and he always will because he is obsessed with being liked without realising that is not what is most important in life.

Seun is a CEO. He owns a social platform called nairaland, just like Mark owns Facebook etc..

How many times have you seen mark apologize to scam victims despite that millions of people have been scammed on Facebook?

Facebook, Twitter banned Trump via illegality. Did they later apologize? Is trump not back on Twitter & Facebook?

Seun seem to be an emotional being. He's not running nairaland as it suppose to be. He's running it based on emotions. I don't want to offend this or that. My advice to him is he should employ a MD to run this nairaland..

He's too emotional to be available for things like this. He's insulting the system with his unfortunate emotional feeling.. Radarada!

2 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by tamdun: 12:21pm On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

Seun will forever regret doing that apology for one advert.
Every woke yoruba need to visit this thread

3 Likes

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by babyfaceafrica: 8:24pm On Mar 27, 2023
Persephone1:
I hope Seun has learnt to treat his business as an entity and His person as a different entity. Whatever you do in business never mix both up. Never mix business with personal preferences. Bringing GRV on Nl in the first place was a huge error, allowing rivalry political advert, letting Nairaland to be used for Politics is a huge mistake. Never mix politics with business same way you don't mix pleasure with business.

I sincerely feel sorry for Seun. I hope and pray he overcomes this and Nairaland is not affected. For now I'd advice complete silence while his legal team prepares for what may come. He shouldn't even have apologized personally to start with. Send an admin or PRO to do that on behalf on Nairaland as a business while you maintain a clear slate.

Everything just scatter for man hand, pity sad

Why you dey pity him?
Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Omoawoke: 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
searchng4love:
Seun don buy market:

In strictly material terms, you can see their point. For Mr. Osewa, the cost is a promise to contribute N32,000 to a non-existent fund or entity. In a country in which the citizens or politicians are ready to bring this nonsense to an end, Mr. Osewa will not have the courage to rub this salt into the injury that he propagated.

However Odinkalu is an emotional person whose bark is worse than his bite

seun I remember people warned you on this, I personally mentioned you and told you they will save that your letter and use it to blackmail, cyberbully you, exaggerate facts and create false stories around you.

If only you haven't created that thread, if only you didn't, Mr Seun, all this won't have happened.
Media is very powerful, don't ever let people drag you into their mess, that apology was so unnecessary

1 Like

Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by Omoawoke: 5:52pm On Mar 28, 2023
vhykeeytor:

The British High Commission, The United State Embassy and the European Union should as a matter of urgency add Seun Osewa's name among the likes of FFK and Bayo Onanuga. They and their families must not leave the shores of this country for anything whatsoever. This is my opinion.

small things like what seun did can escalate and result in serious legal issues if not even visa ban.
Wahala dey on its own, seun go use head carry am in the name of trying to sound nice.
Baba needs to watch games of thrones. You don't have to be guilty to be made a scape goat
Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by BeardedmeatR(m): 6:06pm On Mar 28, 2023
Please dm if you have land for sale in Lagos.. I will only do business with the original owners, not resellers.
Re: The Faux Apologia Of Seun Osewa- Chidi Odinkalu by may320: 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2023
Funny enough, I personally wasn't even aware of any such advert until I saw and read the apologies.

Seun should learn to consult wise minds before taking such action next time. It wasn't necessary at all. He attracted this kind of 'flies' to himself.

Those are the same set of people he'd been supporting all along, that someone like me even thought he was Igbo, because most of his tweets posted on NL were anti-Yorubas.
He was pushing all their hate topics to front page and was also supporting GRV and Obi.

This is what you get when you try to become popular in politics space to the neglect of your business.
I strongly suspects that he wants to go into active politics but started on a wrong footing.

Next time Seun, don't discard wise counsel, do a thorough and wider consultation and try as much as possible to stay neutral.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Boils As Uberfacts Circulates His Cocaine Business To Global Audience / Before You Rejoice About Tinubu's Presidency Remember Uba Was Governor For 17 Da / Amazing Igbo Engineers In Action At Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.