Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural (520 Views)

Tinubu's Mother, Abibatu Magaji Campaigning For Awolowo And Jakande In 1979 / Burial Photos Of Lateef Jakande (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Buried) / Lateef Jakande Is Dead (First Civilian Governor Of Lagos Dies) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by Beadysworld: 11:34am On Mar 29, 2023
Lagos was first declared “A No Man’s Land” by former governor of the state, Lateef Jakande in his inaugural speech in 1979.
it was not an igboman that made that statement.

Read his full speech below. [Source Tinubu’s own TV, TVC news) – see paragraph six HIGHLIGHTED.

INAUGURAL ADDRESS OF GOVERNOR JAKANDE TO THE PEOPLE OF LAGOS STATE — 1ST OCTOBER, 1979.

FELLOW Citizens of Lagos State,

On Saturday, 28th, July 1979, you elected me, by 559,070 votes to 126,805, the first Executive Governor of Lagos State. Today, as a result of that election, the Chief Judge of this State, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of Nigeria, has invested me in the office. This is an inestimable honor of which I am very conscious. It is a call to service that I take very seriously in all humility. And I want to assure you that I shall spare no effort to justify the confidence which you, the good people of Lagos State, have demonstrably reposed in me.

God moves in a mysterious way, says William Cowper, His wonders to perform. His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour.

The creation of Lagos State, like all great events, is not the achievement of one single person. The territory now known as Lagos State is the former Colony Province created by the British Administration for their own administrative convenience. Following the cession of his sovereignty to the British Crown by King Dosunmu in 1861, Eko was administered independently by a Governor of the Settlement of Lagos.

Under the Commission of 19th February-1866, the Settlement of Lagos was governed by an Administrator and a Legislative Council responsible to the Governor of the West African Settlements residing in Sierra Leone.

This continued until 1874. By Letters Patent dated 24th July 1874, the territory was administered by a Lieutenant Governor subject to the Governor of the Gold Coast read more here https://beadysworld.tv/2023/03/28/lagos-was-first-declared-a-no-mans-land-by-lateef-jakande-in-his-inaugural-speech-in-1979-share-this/

Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by Ofemmanu1: 11:37am On Mar 29, 2023
Orisirisi
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by Mynd44: 11:39am On Mar 29, 2023
This is false. It was in 1953

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by potent5(m): 11:39am On Mar 29, 2023
E
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by MXrep: 11:44am On Mar 29, 2023
Mynd44:
So no be today things nah, what's your point exactly?
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by EKONGKING: 11:48am On Mar 29, 2023
Why don't we build another Lagos in the east .
Instead of crying and wailing about the original Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by orisa37: 12:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
PAPA JAKANDE WAS SAYING THAT HIS ESTATE AND DIDEOLU'S ESTATE IN LAGOS ARE NO MAN'S ESTATES. ANY IDIOT FROM IGBOLAND CAN GO THERE TO DO WHAT THEY LIKE.
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by orisa37: 12:37pm On Mar 29, 2023
Orisirisi Iriiri
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by orisa37: 12:40pm On Mar 29, 2023
The POLITICIAN was simply inviting "FOREIGN INVESTORS IN TO LAGOS.
Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by orisa37: 12:46pm On Mar 29, 2023
"So no be today things nah, what's your point exactly"?

THAT JAKANDE'S SPEECH WASN'T AS WEIRD AS COSSY INVITING TINUBU TO BRING THE SEA TO ANAMBRA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by XAUBulls: 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2023
Mynd44:
Nicely put @Mynd44.

That NCNC politician and Ibo Union member from the Ngwa area of Abia, Jaja Wachuku was the first recorded Ibo person to give a highly irresponsible speech in 1947
falsely calling Lagos Island a so-called "no-man's land."

The Lagos that those Ibo NCNC dudes were even refering to in the screenshot you attached as of that 1953 was Lagos Island, NOT the larger Lagos State of today which was only created on May 27, 1967 for the indigenes by General Yakubu Gowon's government. A total of 12 new states where created on that day (May 27,1967).

The very provocative reference to the Awori-Yoruba owned Lagos
(Island), the then administrative capital as a "no-mans land" in 1953 by the Ibo NCNC politicians was irresponsible and is part of the genesis of that false comment being made online and offline by a significant number of Ibos right till today.

Cc: Nisai, thanks for sharing my post. Kindly read the first paragraph of my post to get the original culprit who started that falsehood in 1947.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Was First Declared “A No Man’s Land” By Lateef Jakande In His Inaugural by XAUBulls: 11:57pm On Mar 29, 2023
Beadysworld:
Lagos was first declared “A No Man’s Land” by former governor of the state, Lateef Jakande in his inaugural speech in 1979.

it was not an igboman that made that statement.

Read his full speech below. [Source Tinubu’s own TV, TVC news) – see paragraph six HIGHLIGHTED.

INAUGURAL ADDRESS OF GOVERNOR JAKANDE TO THE PEOPLE OF LAGOS STATE — 1ST OCTOBER, 1979.

FELLOW Citizens of Lagos State,

On Saturday, 28th, July 1979, you elected me, by 559,070 votes to 126,805, the first Executive Governor of Lagos State. Today, as a result of that election, the Chief Judge of this State, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of Nigeria, has invested me in the office. This is an inestimable honor of which I am very conscious. It is a call to service that I take very seriously in all humility. And I want to assure you that I shall spare no effort to justify the confidence which you, the good people of Lagos State, have demonstrably reposed in me.

God moves in a mysterious way, says William Cowper, His wonders to perform. His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour.

The creation of Lagos State, like all great events, is not the achievement of one single person. The territory now known as Lagos State is the former Colony Province created by the British Administration for their own administrative convenience. Following the cession of his sovereignty to the British Crown by King Dosunmu in 1861, Eko was administered independently by a Governor of the Settlement of Lagos.

Under the Commission of 19th February-1866, the Settlement of Lagos was governed by an Administrator and a Legislative Council responsible to the Governor of the West African Settlements residing in Sierra Leone.

This continued until 1874. By Letters Patent dated 24th July 1874, the territory was administered by a Lieutenant Governor subject to the Governor of the Gold Coast read more here https://beadysworld.tv/2023/03/28/lagos-was-first-declared-a-no-mans-land-by-lateef-jakande-in-his-inaugural-speech-in-1979-share-this/
This is a highly misleading post!

Your blogging career will not take off if you do NOT desist from posting half-truths and/or outright falsehoods on and off NL.

It was the Ibo NCNC politicians who first made the ridiculous and highly irresponsible "no-mans land" comments about Lagos Island (not
even the entire Lagos State) in a 1947 speech by Jaja Wachuku a member of the then Ibo Union. Then again in 1953. Period.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Eze Vows To Invite IPOB To Lagos To Protect Igb*s ( Video) / Oyedepo Breaks Silence On Leaked Audio / CCTV Footage Shows Final Moments Of Italian-nigerian Volleyball Star Julia Ituma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.