Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? (1382 Views)

Umahi: Ebonyi People Marginalised By Igbos, Will Never Be Part Of Biafra / Ngige: South East, Not Marginalised / How I Was Maltreated In DSS Detention — Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2023
Among the original owners of the present day Ondo State are the Ijaws. Arguably the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

Among the 18 local govts in Ondo State, the Ijaws own Ese-Odo LGA. In recent times without paying mind to diversity, the yoruba led govt had adopted a yoruba anthem for the state, thereby cutting off the indigenous Ijaws who bring more to the state as their local govt is one out of the only two oil producing areas in the state.

This not so subtle attempt to marginalise and stamp out ijaw languages from the indigenous lexicon has been met with opposition by Ijaws.

Speaking to the tribune, the only lawmaker representing the marginalised community Mr. Torhukerhijo said: “It is perplexing that the governor, in spite of his pedigree, does not possess the political will for an all-inclusive government, and the Ijaw of Ondo State have been subjected to neglect and abandonment on issues of state by his executive and administrative actions.”

The Ijaws occupy over 250 large communities in the state but are not given a chance to be governor, deputy governor, or even ordinary commissioner. This tacit attempt to recolonize them and even eliminate thier identity and lives them must be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.

Nigerians must rise up and condemn this evil

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by r4bbit: 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2023
Modified to short ♥️🙏🏽:

undecided There's no marginalisation I made a thread about the amazing ijaw pple once.

The presence of Ijaws in Yorubaland dates back several decades.
In Yorubaland, Ijaws have established communities in various parts of the region, particularly in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, and Osun States. They engage in various occupations, including fishing, farming, trading, and artisanal work.

Despite the cultural differences between the Ijaws and the Yorubas, the Ijaws have been able to integrate into Yorubaland and coexist peacefully with the Yorubas. The Ijaws have also contributed to the cultural diversity of Yorubaland through their music, dance, and cuisine.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Goodvibes007: 6:56pm On Mar 29, 2023
Where is the link.

This is a post from February 2021 and OP deliberately did not include a link.
The ijaws in Ondo wants an Ijaw version of Ondo's indigenous anthem.

That's all.

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 6:58pm On Mar 29, 2023
No matter where your proclivities lie, we must all condemn this heinous subjugation of the Ijaw nation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Goodvibes007: 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2023
r4bbit:
undecided There's no marginalisation I made a thread about the amazing ijaw pple once.

The Ijaws are an ethnic group primarily found in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. However , there are Ijaws who have migrated to other parts of Nigeria, including Yorubaland.

The presence of Ijaws in Yorubaland dates back several decades. Many of them migrated to the area in search of better economic opportunities and to escape the environmental degradation caused by oil exploration in the Niger Delta region.

In Yorubaland, Ijaws have established communities in various parts of the region, particularly in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, and Osun States. They engage in various occupations, including fishing, farming, trading, and artisanal work.

Despite the cultural differences between the Ijaws and the Yorubas, the Ijaws have been able to integrate into Yorubaland and coexist peacefully with the Yorubas. The Ijaws have also contributed to the cultural diversity of Yorubaland through their music, dance, and cuisine.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Goodvibes007:
Where is the link.

This is a post from February 2021 and OP deliberately did not include a link.
The ijaws in Ondo wants an Ijaw version of Ondo's Oduduwa anthem.

That's all.
You have proven my point. In the asserted article, the title being : "Ondo’s adoption of indigenous anthem: Ijaw express worry over marginalistion".

I did not add a link because my article on the matter is a commentary rather than a copy and paste. I quoted the part that needed to be quoted and good enough your corroboration proves the veracity of my case.

The point remains that the yorubanisation agenda against the Ijaws in Ondo should be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.

Ijaws are not sufficiently represented in thw governance structure of the state. Surely, no well meaning Nigerian can defend this evil.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by raskymonojendor: 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Abjinvest:

You have proven my point. In the asserted article, the title being : "Ondo’s adoption of indigenous anthem: Ijaw express worry over marginalistion".

I did not add a link because my article on the matter is a commentary rather than a copy and paste. I quoted the part that needed to be quoted and good enough your corroboration proves the veracity of my case.

The point remains that the yorubanisation agenda against the Ijaws in Ondo should be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.

Ijaws are not sufficiently represented in thw governance structure of the state. Surely, no well meaning Nigerian can defend this evil.
The deputy governor of Ondo, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa is an Ijaw man. He has the power to wield changes of they feel marginalized.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:10pm On Mar 29, 2023
In what language should they have created the Anthem? BTW, any Ijaw man can translate the language. That settles the issue.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Ikaeniyan0: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2023
Abjinvest:
Among the original owners of the present day Ondo State are the Ijaws. Arguably the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

During Akeredolu first tenure, his deputy was an ijaw man from Apoi

No Ijaw from Ondo State will agree with you that he's been discriminated

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Ikaeniyan0: 7:16pm On Mar 29, 2023
raskymonojendor:

The deputy governor of Ondo, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa is an Ijaw man. He has the power to wield changes of they feel marginalized.

Aiyedatiwa is an Ilaje man

The former Deputy Governor that contested against Akeredolu in the last Governorship Election in Ondo State is an ijaw man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by mrrandomguy: 7:18pm On Mar 29, 2023
I don't think this is true. But the Yoruba should join hands with the peace loving Ijaw people.

HOWEVER:
Their goal is to Igbonise Yorubaland. What they failed to do during the civil war when they pushed West and were defeated in Ore is what they are attempting to do now with GRV.

1. GRV is 50% Igbo.
2. He married an igbo
3. His children are 75% Ibo, but will still bear the name Rhodes-vivour.
4. His children will now contest to be Governor of Lagos in future while claiming to be Yoruba.
5. Some of his children may be even married to Igbo.

They will do all they can to take over Lagos and their major weapon is inter-tribal marriage.

This same script is playing out in Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Oyo, Ogun and Yoruba speaking parts of Kwara and Kogi.

In fact I suspect Seun Osewa is 25% Yoruba, 75% Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by raskymonojendor: 7:22pm On Mar 29, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Aiyedatiwa is an Ilaje man

The former Deputy Governor that contested against Akeredolu in the last Governorship Election in Ondo State is an ijaw man

Ikaeniyan0:
Thanks for the correction. I mixed them up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 7:23pm On Mar 29, 2023
mrrandomguy:
I don't think this is true. But the Yoruba should join hands with the peace loving Ijaw people.

HOWEVER:
Their goal is to Igbonise Yorubaland. What they failed to do during the civil war when they pushed West and were defeated in Ore is what they are attempting to do now with GRV.

1. GRV is 50% Igbo.
2. He married an igbo
4. His children will now contest to be Governor of Lagos in future while claiming to be Yoruba.

They will do all they can to take over Lagos and their major weapon is inter-tribal marriage.

This same script is playing out in Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Oyo, Ogun and Yoruba speaking parts of Kwara and Kogi.

Stop projecting the heinous acts on others simply because it is done by your tribe.

Their is systemic marginalization against ijaws in Ondo state. Evidence abounds. Just a simple internet search proves this.

The world is keeping silent while ijaws are being eliminated in their identities and lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by muhammaduyusufu: 7:27pm On Mar 29, 2023
mrrandomguy:

A thread was created for this back in 2021 and it was like 26 pages. Mynd44 may eventually lock this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/6431066/ijaws-reject-adoption-odua-anthem

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Ikaeniyan0: 7:30pm On Mar 29, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Thanks for the correction. I mixed them up.
You're welcome!
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by sageb: 7:42pm On Mar 29, 2023
Abjinvest:

Among the 18 local govts in Ondo State, the Ijaws own Ese-Odo LGA. In recent times without paying mind to diversity, the yoruba led govt had adopted a yoruba anthem for the state, thereby cutting off the indigenous Ijaws who bring more to the state as their local govt is one out of the only two oil producing areas in the state.

This not so subtle attempt to marginalise and stamp out ijaw languages from the indigenous lexicon has been met with opposition by Ijaws.

Speaking to the tribune, the only lawmaker representing the marginalised community Mr. Torhukerhijo said: “It is perplexing that the governor, in spite of his pedigree, does not possess the political will for an all-inclusive government, and the Ijaw of Ondo State have been subjected to neglect and abandonment on issues of state by his executive and administrative actions.”

The Ijaws occupy over 250 large communities in the state but are not given a chance to be governor, deputy governor, or even ordinary commissioner. This tacit attempt to recolonize them and even eliminate thier identity and lives them must be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.

Apart from Ese odo LGA, there are Ijaw communities in Odigbo LGA like Taribo,etc.
I wonder why the state Government don't want to approve an Ijaw version of Ondo state anthem in the Ijaw communities.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by SmartPolician: 7:44pm On Mar 29, 2023
mrrandomguy:

HOWEVER:

1. GRV is 50% Igbo.
2. He married an igbo

If Ijaw people have issues with Yorubas in Ondo State, you people should sort that out, and stop dragging the Igbos into your incurable madness.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by sageb: 7:48pm On Mar 29, 2023
muhammaduyusufu:

A thread was created for this back in 2021 and it was like 26 pages. Mynd44 may eventually lock this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/6431066/ijaws-reject-adoption-odua-anthem

Let's wait and see if....
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Jimiyung(m): 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2023
Posts that originate from the anus shouldn't be on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by sageb: 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

yes, Hon. Agboola Ajayi is an Ijaw man from Kiribo in Ese odo The Ijaws are being marginalized in Ondo
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by sageb: 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

yes, Hon. Agboola Ajayi is an Ijaw man from Kiribo in Ese odo The Ijaws are being marginalized in Ondo
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by franchasofficia: 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2023
Accommodators come and see something grin
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Blue3k(m): 8:46pm On Mar 29, 2023
Abjinvest:

Why don't you guys just secede and join the neighboring Ijaw majority state. I personally think this issue is petty nonsense but if it bothers yall so much just leave. It's better you're not around but the tax revenue is sweet. If you're good at something other than ranting online try organizing the effort in real life. Here are the constitutional provisions how.

An Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of boundary adjustment of any existing State shall only be passed if- 

(a) a request for the boundary adjustment, supported by two-thirds majority of members (representing the area demanding and the area affected by the boundary adjustment) in each of the following, namely- 

(i) the Senate and the House of Representatives, 

(ii) the House of Assembly in respect of the area, and 

(iii) the local government councils in respect of the area. is received by the National Assembly; and 

(b) a proposal for the boundary adjustment is approved by - 

(i) a simple majority of members of each House of the National Assembly, and 

(ii) a simple majority of members of the House of Assembly in respect of the area concerned
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Obagreatdatoye(m): 9:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
They are in yorubaland....if they are not okay with the decision of Akeredolu...they should rather enter into the SEA and perish there....we don't give a damn. We don't want any disturbance from any group in ondo state....The peace we enjoy should remain peace.. please!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2023
sageb:

Apart from Ese odo LGA, there are Ijaw communities in Odigbo LGA like Taribo,etc.
I wonder why the state Government don't want to approve an Ijaw version of Ondo state anthem in the Ijaw communities.

You are right sir.
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Abjinvest: 9:37pm On Mar 29, 2023
Obagreatdatoye:
They are in yorubaland....if they are not okay with the decision of Akeredolu...they should rather enter into the SEA and perish there....we don't give a damn. We don't want any disturbance from any group in ondo state....The peace we enjoy should remain peace.. please!

Is that the reason why Ijaws should be marginalised in their own land?
Ijaws should enter into the sea and perish? What kind of genocidal rhetoric is that?

Ijaws are not asking for much. Ijaws own the land. The section they occupy that is. The tacit marginalization and attempt to erase ijaw identity must be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:46pm On Mar 29, 2023
The national anthem go reach Lagos, no too rush
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Goodday90(m): 10:20pm On Mar 29, 2023
Ijaws make up 60% of ondo and 30% of Ogun and it’s only fair they should be allowed to produce Governor too

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by WhizdomXX(m): 12:32am On Mar 30, 2023
Blue3k:

Why don't you guys just secede and join the neighboring Ijaw majority state. I personally think this issue is petty nonsense but if it bothers yall so much just leave. It's better you're not around but the tax revenue is sweet. If you're good at something other than ranting online try organizing the effort in real life. Here are the constitutional provisions how.

A Better suggestion
Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by raskymonojendor: 12:37am On Mar 30, 2023
Goodday90:
Ijaws make up 60% of ondo and 30% of Ogun and it’s only fair they should be allowed to produce Governor too
You are wrong. Ijaw makes up close to 90% of Ondo population and 70% of Ogun State population.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Ijaw People Being Marginalised And Maltreated In Ondo State? by Obagreatdatoye(m): 6:25am On Mar 30, 2023
Abjinvest:

Is that the reason why Ijaws should be marginalised in their own land?
Ijaws should enter into the sea and perish? What kind of genocidal rhetoric is that?

Ijaws are not asking for much. Ijaws own the land. The section they occupy that is. The tacit marginalization and attempt to erase ijaw identity must be condemned by all well meaning Nigerians.
They own the land?
Who gave them the land pls.
The land belongs to the state government just for the record. You better advise them to be careful and maintain decorum!

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Peter Obi, In Last-minute Push For Votes, Begs Bishop Oyedepo To Help / PROFILE: Meet Tinubu’s 19 Additional Ministerial Nominees / VIDEO: Nigerians Queue An Nigeria Customs Begin Sale Of Seized Bags Of Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.