Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,579 members, 7,816,428 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) (17159 Views)

A Break Failure Accident And The Best Way To Judge The Case At Onikan Lagos / How To Avoid Catastrophic Engine failure / Break Failure Or Malfunction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Kasdat5(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2023
Mine was
I got a job to transport some surgical equipment from lagos to Abuja . As usual , I left lagos past @ night . Got to Abj quite early as I ws heading to Utako , just by city gate FCT , with the usual early morning traffic , I applied breaks, e no catch o , pumped the break pedals like it was an Olympic final game , still zero friction , thank God I was @ the last lane as there was an E-class in my front ,I left my lane & faced concrete slab used for road diversion to staduim & slammed into it . Lots of damages , thanks to FRSC on stationed there .

Have you experienced brrakfailure while driving or in a vehicle/ bike .
Kindly share your experience..

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Olumighty123(m): 6:19pm On Mar 31, 2023
Yes, was driving through mobolaji bank Anthony way, going to yaba to be precise. Just before leventis, there was this usual traffic, na so I apply brake e no catch, see me swerving to different lanes just to avoid bashing into cars, I sha manage to stop. Naso I dey breath heavily. Found out the brake oil had a leakage.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by ifegen(m): 6:22pm On Mar 31, 2023
Kazzie my guy, please will it be possible for you to waybill strawberries from Jos to Lagos?

6 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by buygala(m): 7:33pm On Mar 31, 2023
I can't speak for all vehicles tho.. But the ones I have owned and driven all have a brake fault warning light.

That warning light illuminates when a brake light bulb dies, a brake switch becomes faulty, there is a faulty handbrake or handbrake is in engaged position, if the brake fluid guage sensor becomes faulty, or if Brake fluid drains below minimum threshold..for some vehicles sef, a faulty ABS system will also trigger the brake light.

The major cause of sudden vehicle brake failure in motion is a torn and leaking brake hose.. And the brake system hardly ever looses all pressure at once.. The brake pedal will keep getting flatter until all the brake oil drains out.. And the brake light will have illuminated long long before all the brake oil drains out..

You as driver wey no notice brake light wey on or ignore am, and also didn't notice that your brakes were getting flatter, na you dey find wetin go kill you.

158 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Treadway: 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2023
I have only experienced this once. Thankfully I was able to veer off road in time to avert a collision. Car came to a stop afterwards. It was the brake master that had gotten clogged over time and finally failed. No warning light prior to this incident. Still drove it all the way from the scene (Ibafo) to Ojuelegba area with low speed and using the brakes still (which worked intermittently) in conjunction with the handbrake to stop the car when necessary. My heart raced for a few secs, but I was pretty composed for the most part.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Timagex(m): 10:10pm On Mar 31, 2023
The last one that happened to me was around 2018 or so. I just came back from school that day and I offered to drive mom who was going out. The car has been abandoned at home for weeks and that must have added to the issue.

The brakes failed at a bump and then worked somehow, so, I didn't bother to tell mom. I thought I could manage it till we get home.

We were on our way home at night, I was coming down a slope and the car was gaining speed. I applied the brakes and I heard "ffffffffuuuuuu"!!!! shocked shocked shocked. I pumped four times and tried again. Nothing! The handbrake was also useless. My mum noticed I was struggling with the steering and i informed her that the brakes were gone. She warned me not to joke with such a matter. 😁😁. A trailer approached and I had the option of facing it or going inside the thick bush. Then, it felt like the steering wanted to lock. My mom was already praying aggressively then. I gladly chose the bush and guided the car there before the steering gave in.

No injury was sustained. We came out, removed our battery, locked the car and headed home.

Omooo.... I was scared shitless that day o. We thank God for life Sha...

122 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by nurey(m): 10:58pm On Mar 31, 2023
2020 my work requires you learn to ride Okada I still be learner. My new Okada never ready nah so my colleague give me one aprokah bike to be managing, decending down a hill, the brake flat pata pata, it was all this red soil.and rain had drenched it and super slippery, the rear wheels slipped, bike faced a gully by the side, I dropped both legs, braced for impact grin, front went in first, rear followed while still on the bike, slammed my right leg in the gully, okada crushed my leg against the road sha, i left the okada in the gully, limped home and told my workers to go get the okada. I was wearing safety sha reason I didn't break my legs or head.

Nah next day I know say something happened, felt pain for 2 weeks. Now I be mini expert, if brake fail for bike nah to jump off with my 2 left legs raised like Lui Kang no time grin and I don't speed pass 100km now tongue on Okada

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by KilimanjaroKING: 8:17am On Apr 01, 2023
Timagex:
The last one that happened to me was around 2018 or so. I just came back from school that day and I offered to drive mom who was going out. The car has been abandoned at home for weeks and that must have added to the issue.

The brakes failed at a bump and then worked somehow, so, I didn't bother to tell mom. I thought I could manage it till we get home.

We were on our way home at night, I was coming down a slope and the car was gaining speed. I applied the brakes and I heard "ffffffffuuuuuu"!!!! shocked shocked shocked. I pumped four times and tried again. Nothing! The handbrake was also useless. My mum noticed I was struggling with the steering and i informed her that the brakes were gone. She warned me not to joke with such a matter. 😁😁. A trailer approached and I had the option of facing it or going inside the thick bush. Then, it felt like the steering wanted to lock. My mom was already praying aggressively then. I gladly chose the bush and guided the car there before the steering gave in.

No injury was sustained. We came out, removed our battery, locked the car and headed home.

Omooo.... I was scared shitless that day o. We thank God for life Sha...
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
dis ur write-up funny dai

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by TPound(m): 8:26am On Apr 01, 2023
buygala:
I can't speak for all vehicles tho.. But the ones I have owned and driven all have a brake fault warning light.

That warning light illuminates when a brake light bulb dies, a brake switch becomes faulty, there is a faulty handbrake or handbrake is in engaged position, if the brake fluid guage sensor becomes faulty, or if Brake fluid drains below minimum threshold..for some vehicles sef, a faulty ABS system will also trigger the brake light.

The major cause of sudden vehicle brake failure in motion is a torn and leaking brake hose.. And the brake system hardly ever looses all pressure at once.. The brake pedal will keep getting flatter until all the brake oil drains out.. And the brake light will have illuminated long long before all the brake oil drains out..

You as driver wey no notice brake light wey on or ignore am, and also didn't notice that your brakes were getting flatter, na you dey find wetin go kill you.

E be like say your car brake pad never fly commot before

12 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by buygala(m): 9:54am On Apr 01, 2023
TPound:

E be like say brake pad never fly commot before

If one fly comot, shey the other three for the other tyres fly comot?

It will take an extreme kind of deliberate sabotage or carelessness for that to happen

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Timagex(m): 9:59am On Apr 01, 2023
KilimanjaroKING:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
dis ur write-up funny dai

Boss, it wasn't funny that day o. We thank God for life Sha...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by princely4ever: 10:24am On Apr 01, 2023
Sounds like some airplane technicalities that would have led to an air disaster. In aviation such case is being referred to as the airworthiness of an airplane in such condition. In this case your vehicle suffered brake damage, your vehicle lacked that roadworthiness.

2 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Kasdat5(m): 11:56am On Apr 01, 2023
TPound:

After the crash , only 1 break pad was visible , it was as flat as a paper sheet . Others Don fly comet Tey Tey..

4 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Kasdat5(m): 11:58am On Apr 01, 2023
princely4ever:
Sounds like some airplane technicalities that would have led to an air disaster. In aviation such case is being referred to as the airworthiness of an airplane in such condition. In this case your vehicle suffered brake damage, your vehicle lacked that roadworthiness.

Issues happen mid air , same as cars too.

2 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by diportivo: 1:30pm On Apr 01, 2023
TPound:

guy

those of us wey don drive wella.....as in,different types and kinds of vehicles sabi say plenty brake faults dey wey no go on light

if u sharp,u catch it early

if not, tongue

princely4ever:

theres a reason stuff like brake issues will rarely cause RTAs in countries that take MOT serious.....

4 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by TPound(m): 2:31pm On Apr 01, 2023
buygala:

If one fly comot, shey the other three for the other tyres fly comot?

It will take an extreme kind of deliberate sabotage or carelessness for that to happen
When one part of the wheel's pad falls off,the rest tend to fail

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by buygala(m): 2:38pm On Apr 01, 2023
TPound:

When one part of the wheel's pad falls off,the rest tend to fail

So if front passenger brakepad fall comot, the driver side own and the two sets for rear go follow fall?

And if na moto wey get drum brakes for rear, the drum brakes components go fly comot too when one brake pad fly comot for front?

Besides if no be carelessness in tightening brake calipers, or a deadly Head-on collision that mangles the entire car front including the brake master and calipers, thereby making brake failure a secondary issue, wetin wan loose brake caliper that's tied properly?

No be only una dey drive moto abeg.. Make una calm down

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by buygala(m): 2:42pm On Apr 01, 2023
Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Elsueno: 3:59pm On Apr 01, 2023
Mine didn't fail per say, but i thoroughly & practically understood why ABS is good for cars...I impatiently overtook a large DAF vehicle without actually noticing dat a car stopped a bit further Infront...I smashed d breaks all through as I was speeding omoh, couldn't swerve either side due to heavy concrete demarcation on side & the large DAF on d other..I just looked on straight & prayed my airbags are functional... fortunately I stopped b4 hitting d car in front of me

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by nymphomaniac(m): 4:44am On Apr 02, 2023
Hasn’t happened to me however it is important to drive recently built cars as well. They have preventive functions that some oldies don’t.

Brake failure isn’t a good thing to experience while driving

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Aaaaarghmed(m): 8:00am On Apr 02, 2023
With serious speed I rammed into one bus with my babyboy in 2019,I match break,e flat.No single dent on my ride,just the Honda logo fall comot..the bus,no dent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by lilkech(m): 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2023
Aaaaarghmed:
With serious speed I rammed into one bus with my babyboy in 2019,I match break,e flat. No single dent on my ride ,just the Honda logo fall comot..the bus,no dent.

Oga calm down. Na fast and furious you been dey watch that time wink

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by FEGEITOK: 3:48pm On Apr 02, 2023
If you drive very fast and have done a series of very hard braking you may experience the brake going soft and flat and you and taking longer than usual to engage.

Does that also count as brake failure?

Happened to me a couple of times along the Benin-Abuja route.

I think the brake fluid boils and can no longer do its job, the remedy is usually to drive slowly and avoid heavy braking for a while. Once the brake fluid cools down, I think the brake behaves normally.

The recommended remedy is to import high performance brake fluid, then flush the one purchased from our markets to and replace with the imported one.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Horlawoomey(m): 5:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
I experienced something like that on Lagos-Ibadan expressway, just few kilometres to Guru-maraji. It's not brake failure per say, I think I hydroplaned in my Honda Baby Boy around a curve, it was raining that day and I was doing 70km/hr, I took a bend and saw a trailer that was reversing on the speed lane, apparently, the driver was trying to take a missed shortcut cos there was traffic after Guru-maraji.

I applied the brake aggressively cos there was another car where I was suppose to swerve to, everything happened rapidly I the wheel locked, steering pointed away from the truck but the car maintained the straight line I was coming with. Fortunately, I hit the back tire with my fender. The fender got damaged, it was when I wanted to move the car away from the express that I noticed the steering was very stiff, I managed to move it away and saw the power steering fluid on the ground. The steering rack got broken.

We got a mechanic that replaced the steering rack that same day, he couldn't finish it until about 9pm from 10 am when the accident happened, there was lot of traffic inside Ibadan that day before Sallah, I was also travelling with my family for Sallah. We left the mechanic's place with shitty alignment and stayed for a while in Ibadan looking for where we could do alignment to no avail. I decided to continue to Ilorin around 1am when I saw a lot of other travelers on the road because we are not sure we'll get the alignment done the next day being Sallah day.

Managed to drive the car to Ilorin doing maximum of 40km/hr and arrived around 6am on Sallah day, one of the front tire is completely bald on one side, the other tire got it thread stripped out on our journey back to Lagos. We thank God for the protection that day.

It was too risky travelling with a bad car at that time of the night, I will never take such rash decision again even if I am the only one in the car.

This is the first time I am writing about this experience, that's why it's this long.

Even with good tires, reduce your speed considerably when it's raining, you might not know what's lurking around on Nigeria road.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by RoadMozart(m): 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2023
Elsueno:
Mine didn't fail per say, but i thoroughly & practically understood why ABS is good for cars...I impatiently overtook a large DAF vehicle without actually noticing dat a car stopped a bit further Infront...I smashed d breaks all through as I was speeding omoh, couldn't swerve either side due to heavy concrete demarcation on side & the large DAF on d other..I just looked on straight & prayed my airbags are functional... fortunately I stopped b4 hitting d car in front of me
Na testimony be that ooo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by RoadMozart(m): 8:49pm On Apr 02, 2023
Mine was not brake failure per say. I was delivering a 2008 rav4 to a woman in Ondo state. Car was new tokumbo. Brake wasn't too sharp... On my way from Ondo city getting to Ore, I saw policemen ahead waving me to stop. I applied the brakes from 140kmh, with a lot of hard braking the car refused to stop. When the policemen noticed they cleared from the road for me. I just ran over those stocks they use to barricade the road. I still didn't stop ooo I just reduced my speed hoping they would come after me but when they didn't, I zoomed off but I was more careful.

Sometimes when doing 140kmh and above, it takes longer time for cars to stop.... So you make you calculations well and avoid braking suddenly

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by lilkech(m): 12:37am On Apr 04, 2023
FEGEITOK:
If you drive very fast and have done a series of very hard braking you may experience the brake going soft and flat and you and taking longer than usual to engage.

Does that also count as brake failure?

Happened to me a couple of times along the Benin-Abuja route.

I think the brake fluid boils and can no longer do its job, the remedy is usually to drive slowly and avoid heavy braking for a while. Once the brake fluid cools down, I think the brake behaves normally.

The recommended remedy is to import high performance brake fluid, then flush the one purchased from our markets to and replace with the imported one.

It has nothing to do with the brake fluid. Your brake discs were simply overheating.

Race cars come standard with properly ventilated brake discs for this exact reason.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Jagermeister(m): 10:31am On Apr 04, 2023
nurey:
2020 my work requires you learn to ride Okada I still be learner. My new Okada never ready nah so my colleague give me one aprokah bike to be managing, decending down a hill, the brake flat pata pata, it was all this red soil.and rain had drenched it and super slippery, the rear wheels slipped, bike faced a gully by the side, I dropped both legs, braced for impact grin, front went in first, rear followed while still on the bike, slammed my right leg in the gully, okada crushed my leg against the road sha, i left the okada in the gully, limped home and told my workers to go get the okada. I was wearing safety sha reason I didn't break my legs or head.

Nah next day I know say something happened, felt pain for 2 weeks. Now I be mini expert, if brake fail for bike nah to jump off with my 2 left legs raised like Lui Kang no time grin and I don't speed pass 100km now tongue on Okada

Nurey you always get one story or the other for every situation.. for some na speed boat, some na your first car, some na Nigeria used car πŸ˜‚

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by FEGEITOK: 12:21pm On Apr 04, 2023
lilkech:

It has nothing to do with the brake fluid. Your brake discs were simply overheating.

Race cars come standard with properly ventilated brake discs for this exact reason.

Thanks. I thought it was the brake fluid.

That is why one has to be careful racing a street car without modifications.

Found a nice video on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKNmCqENIyE

1 Like

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by RoadMozart(m): 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2023
Jagermeister:

Nurey you always get one story or the other for every situation.. for some na speed boat, some na your first car, some na Nigeria used car πŸ˜‚
Na because of Nurey, I join NL he and Gazzuzz... Them don experience many things

2 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by nurey(m): 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2023
Jagermeister:

My brother guy man don waka plenty plenty

2 Likes

Re: Break Failure Experience ( Pix ) by Jagermeister(m): 7:53pm On Apr 04, 2023
nurey:

My brother guy man don waka plenty plenty

Baba I sabi that one, no be lie

As I read the comment finish, I just say make I glance up see who write am, as I see 'nurey' I just laff and say to myself 'no be you again'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Causes Of Water Mixing With Engine Oil / Photos From Carpital Autoshow Held In Abuja On Sunday / Is The Rover A Reliable Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.