Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji (7459 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 356.8MW In Three Weeks / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW / Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw, Highest Ever – Nnaji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by OAM4J: 1:41am On Sep 20, 2011
[size=13pt]Electricity generation now at 4,242MW, highest ever – Nnaji[/size]

The Federal Government said on Monday that the country had attained an all-time-high power generation of 4,242.7 megawatts.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, announced this in Abuja even as his counterpart in the investment and trade ministry, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, also said the Federal Government had sealed a N240bn energy and housing deal with European investors.

Nnaji, who spoke at a stakeholders’ workshop on “Towards Stability in Power Sector”, held at State House Banquet Hall, Abuja, said the country had also reduced the incidence of system collapse in the power sector significantly.

The power minister said, “On Friday, September 17, 2011, Nigeria attained the highest quantum of power ever. We achieved 3,982.7MW. This figure does not include the 260MW maintained as spinning reserve, which is used for system stability. I am glad to report that all the 3,982.7MW now produced in Nigeria goes into the national grid without difficulty. In other words, the attained generation is now 4,242.7MW.

“Nigeria used to experience an average of four system collapse every month, that is, almost 50 system failures annually. Much as we have reduced the failures in the last one year, our goal is to reduce them to zero. I must add, however, that some of the failures are caused by factors beyond our control, like a sudden shortage of gas supply to a power generation facility.”

The former President Umaru Yar’Adua administration had failed to deliver on its promise of attaining a 6,000MW target in 2009. The highest the government achieved in August 2010 was 3,800 MW, the highest figure till then.

Nnaji said there were credible reports of a noticeable improvement in power supply in many parts of the country and that the country was expecting an additional 10MW from the Delta Power Station in Ughelli, Delta State, this month. He added that another 120MW will be added later this year, bringing the quantum of power being expected from the plant to 470MW.

“This improvement will still leave us with a shortfall of 430MW because the station’s installed capacity is 900MW. From its sister power station in Sapele, we are expecting an additional 100MW this year, raising supply from this station to 252MW. Still, there will be a shortfall of 768MW because the installed capacity of the station is 1,020MW.

“We have a programme to recover as soon as possible lost capacities at Egbin, Kainji and other places. The 760MW Kainji hydro station, built in 1968, has never been overhauled. But some of its units which are out of use are now undergoing rehabilitation. Coupled with the scheduled inauguration of some plants being built under the National Integrated Power Project, we are optimistic of achieving the target of 5,000MW this year and hit 6,000MW in 2012,” he said.

Also, the Federal Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with a consortium of Swiss and European investors for the investment of N240bn ($1.6bn) in the power, petroleum and housing sectors of the Nigerian economy.

Aganga confirmed the development during the signing of the first phase of the MoU with the representatives of the consortium in Abuja.

The group, comprising Seagas Services Limited and Oceanmar Services Limited, was led by the First Deputy Prime Minister and Head of International Affairs and Investments, Republic of Kosovo, Mr. Behgjet Pacolli.

Aganga said that the Ministry of Trade and Investment would work closely with the Ministries of Power and Petroleum to facilitate the investments, adding that the Federal Government was committed to supporting genuine investors to invest in critical sectors of the Nigerian economy.

He said, “We have held discussions with the representatives of Seagas Services Limited and Oceanmar Services Limited, about the investment opportunities in Nigeria. We have agreed on investments in a few areas such as housing, building a factory for gas infrastructure for the manufacturing of gas pipelines.

“We also discussed the possibility of investing in the area of power, building of refineries and housing construction.

“After a number of discussions, we are signing a Memorandum of Understanding for the estimated sum of $1.6bn to be invested in some of these areas. Specifically, the money will be invested in refinery, power and housing,” he said.

President Goodluck Jonathan, who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, blamed the unstable power supply experienced in the country on poor pricing. According to him, Nigeria has the lowest electricity tariff and that is why it has poor power supply. Jonathan also said that a new monthly bill of N11bn had been approved for Power Holding of Nigeria’s workers by the government.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110920253318
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by OmoTier1(m): 3:32pm On Sep 20, 2011
Abeg let me hear word! Mega watt that is in sufficient to power Lagos alone!

Who does the minister thinks he is fooling? The Power road map plan launched under GEJ clearly said by April 2011, Power generation peak target @ 7000MW and here we are in september, they are shouting glory heaven for 4000MW when obviously they ought to be explaining and apologizing to Nigerians for failing to achieve the target set in that GEJ's Power road map!

Shameful indeed!, oh by the way, where is the super grid GEJ awarded for nearly $4bn?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by chines4(m): 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2011
Why do I still experience constant power outage? angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by executinal(m): 3:41pm On Sep 20, 2011
Nnaji ride on, good people on the right track, GOD will see you through to achieve stable power supply. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by beethoven: 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Who does the minister thinks he is fooling? The Power road map plan launched under GEJ clearly said by April 2011, Power generation peak target @ 7000MW and here we are in september, they are shouting glory heaven for 4000MW when obviously they ought to be explaining and apologizing to Nigerians for failing to achieve the target set in that GEJ's Power road map!

Shameful indeed!,  oh by the way, where is the super grid GEJ awarded for nearly $4bn?

My brother b4 you go count reach 7000MW, you go first pass 4000MW which is where we are at the moment.  I mean cudos to this Nnaji guy. For the past for weeks, I have seen major improvements in power supply in my area in Lagos. I don't really know if this can be attributed to the rains increasing the water level at our dams, but whichever way the supply is being generated, it output is quite commendable. The next level now, is for people like you and I to pay our monthly PHCN bills on time.

God Bless Nigeria
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by nateevs(m): 3:45pm On Sep 20, 2011
Everything seemed to be going fine until the last paragraph.

President Goodluck Jonathan, who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, blamed the unstable power supply experienced in the country on poor pricing. According to him,[b] Nigeria has the lowest electricity tariff and that is why it has poor power supply. [/b]Jonathan also said that a new monthly bill of N11bn had been approved for Power Holding of Nigeria’s workers by the government.

Oh Please!

Insubordination
Vandalism
Un-professionalism.
Corruption
Appointment of wrong ministers
Ineffective solution for billing and payment of bills.

To name a few. How can he come to the conclusion low tariff is the sole reason for poor supply?
This man never ceases to amaze me.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by abhosts(m): 3:46pm On Sep 20, 2011
No wonder power supply appears to have improved. I hope it lasts.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Pukkah: 3:50pm On Sep 20, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Shameful indeed!,  oh by the way, where is the super grid GEJ awarded for nearly $4bn?

beethoven:

My brother b4 you go count reach 7000MW, you go first pass 4000MW which is where we are at the moment.  I mean cudos to this Nnaji guy. For the past for weeks, I have seen major improvements in power supply in my area in Lagos. I don't really know if this can be attributed to the rains increasing the water level at our dams, but whichever way the supply is being generated, it output is quite commendable. The next level now, is for people like you and I to pay our monthly PHCN bills on time.

God Bless Nigeria

I do not see any problem with Omo_Tier1's questions. Indeed, Mr Jonathan promised to deliver 7,000 mega watts by April 2011.  The sum of N525billion was approved  in August 2010 for this purpose.

If the word or promise of any government must be taken seriously and respected, it must form the habit of not only making realistic promises but also provide explanations to the people in the event that the target/promise is not met.

Now, the 7,000 mega watts target was not met but was all the N525billion spent? What happened? Why was the target not met?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by GMcompere: 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2011
Mediocrity in action just few hundreds of Mega watts on top what we had before and now someone is making noise

South Africa:

30million people, 40,000MW, expansion to 80,000MW in view (Needed capacity = 40,000MW)

Nigeria:

150million people, 4,242MW, expansion to 6,000MW in 8years grin grin grin grin grin grin (Needed capacity = 40,000MW)
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2011
Can anyone independently confirm this please?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Niseamaka(m): 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2011
Is Nigeria jinxed, eletricity-wise?. Why have the power sector been so epileptic for so
many decades inspite of this kind of talk and trillions of dollars sunk into the sector by
successive admistrations.Why is it that countries less endowed with human, material
and financial resources enjoy stable power supply whereas the so called "giant" of Africa
wallows in darkness. This is akin to an individual who is super wealthy and sick, and have
expended a great deal of money towards his recovery but all was in vain.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by kay10: 4:08pm On Sep 20, 2011
Mr Nnaji,did you know what you are saying,I will really appreciate if Nigerians can testify to Mr nnaji comment about Electricity Generation that has now reached  4,242mw

Here in Ibadan,for the past 3 weeks now,there is no light,we only have 2hours in a day which is still on and off.Mr nnaji,you must be tried for this cheap propaganda statement about electricity improvement .I wonder when Nigerian will stop deceiving themself
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 20, 2011
GMcompere:

Mediocrity in action just few hundreds of Mega watts on top what we had before and now someone is making noise

South Africa:

30million people, 40,000MW, expansion to 80,000MW in view (Needed capacity = 40,000MW)

Nigeria:

150million people, 4,242MW, expansion to 6,000MW in 8years grin grin grin grin grin grin (Needed capacity = 40,000MW)

I have read many bone head comments on NL but this one takes the prize: maintaining what you have is an uphill task in power generation in case you dont know. At a point during Yar'adua administration, it drop to 1000 Mega watts. Most importantly a road map is a TARGET and not a promise.[quote][/quote]
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by RSA(m): 4:11pm On Sep 20, 2011
While the cost of electricity in South Africa is among the world's lowest, the country's strong economic growth, rapid industrialisation and a mass electrification programme led, by early 2008, to demand for power outstripping supply.
Eskom has embarked on a massive programme to upgrade and expand the country's electricity infrastructure.

These plans include spending a projected R343-billion over five years to fund a new generation of power stations, with the first due to come on stream in 2013.

ESKOM, with a generating capacity of 35 200 MW from 20 power stations, is one of the largest utilities in the world, and generates approximately 98% of South Africa's electricity.Eskom supplies electricity to Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia as well as exporting to Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

http://www.eskom.co.za/c/article/8/arnot-power-station/
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by mikymouse1(m): 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2011
I don't how much MW has been added, but I testify that power supply had improved marginally. Signs of good things to come. Nigeria can work IF WE ALL AGREE!
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Greenslim: 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2011
when South Africa is bragging about 40,000mgw of power we still dey talk 4,000mgw.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Dandas: 4:36pm On Sep 20, 2011
Truly in my side Lekki/Ajah axxis for the past two weeks there was a great improvement in power supply.We are almost having constant power supply and i ask my neighbour what has happened that we have seen a great improvement in power supply.If that is the handwork of Nnaji and Gej,Kudos to them.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by JUO(m): 4:38pm On Sep 20, 2011
and my area no get since morning
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Ekans: 4:45pm On Sep 20, 2011
Every year,its the same old story of improvement in power supply while i hardly see the light.If govt likes,they can generate 10000mw without effective distribution,it is meaningless.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Mavor: 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2011
Power supply has improved in areas of low industrial capacity. I can attest to that. Almost 24 hrs supply. However, Lagos is still a big problem.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by proudly9ja(m): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2011
I don't know why Nigerians like being fooled. They give us the same crap annually and we keep falling for it. Tunde Bakare must be right.

When its raining season, power generation increases. I am sure if we do small internet search, we will find whoever was in charge of our power making these same statements same time last year.
Wait till Febrauary/March next year and we'l fall back to the usual 2000-

That said, I personally respect Prof Bart Nnaji and he's the only reason I'm hopeful.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by jdiadem: 4:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
if power supply is this good at just 4000mw, then we will not even need more than the said 7000mw,this days, i had to turn off my fridge at night to power up again in the morning to save bills because i can almost boast of 15-18 hours daily. hmmnn, i'm watching hope it gets better.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by samyng(m): 5:10pm On Sep 20, 2011
[size=13pt]Very Good Development BUT, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry[/size]
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by okunboy: 5:17pm On Sep 20, 2011
[Quotes]Now, the 7,000 mega watts target was not met but was all the N525billion spent? What happened? Why was the target not met? [/quotes]
N525 billion was APPROVED not DISBURSED. Do you need somebody to tell u d difference?
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by mjconcept(m): 5:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
The problem with us is that we never appreciate anything Uncle Joe is trying atleast i can boost of 23.5 hours of electricity sometimes 24 hours at my side.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by Lilnikee(m): 5:36pm On Sep 20, 2011
By the end of this year, the generation of power supply will go down by 1,000 , DAMN IT.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by RickyRoss1(m): 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2011
mjconcept:

The problem with us is that we never appreciate anything Uncle Joe is trying atleast i can boost of 23.5 hours of electricity sometimes 24 hours at my side.

God bless you. Even in my village in Imo State I was there for 7 days and we had constant electricity that didn't go off for a second throughout my stay in the village. At some point i was asking people if Rochas has built any new power stations since he came into office,

In my house in PHC we enjoy at least 20 hours uninterrupted power supply sometimes more. In my opinion, electricity supply has greatly improved in Nigeria than ever before. My only concern is how long will this last?

I know we have been misruled for too long so therefore most people dont commend the government even when they try. I am not saying we should start shouting hosana right away but we must commend GEJ and Bath Nnaji bc they seems to know what they are doing in the power sector. Lets see how far they will go in the next 3 years, Let us all wish the the best of luck at least,
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by mjconcept(m): 5:48pm On Sep 20, 2011
@Lilnikee lets wait till then but im sure it will never decrease to that amount.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by samyng(m): 5:55pm On Sep 20, 2011
[size=13pt]The truth of the matter is that over 7 year now where i stay in Lagos gets up to 20 - 23 hours of light daily there was even a time around 2004 when we stayed over one whole week with 24 hrs power supply and no interuptions at all. it was mind blowing and i wonder how many Mega watts they had then. Then we used to put of the fridge and put them on anytime we like,  but when i visit other places or travel to different cities in nigeria the light issue is very annoying.  I still appreciate the improvement of power supply in other cities like what they are doing at my area here in lagos but i need them to improve power supply at other locations as it would be fair if the whole of  lagos and nigeria as a whole especially the east gets such kind of power supply [/size]
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by aieromon(m): 6:21pm On Sep 20, 2011
Beauty of overflowing dams!!!
Let's wait and see what happens in February.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by JaaizTech: 6:31pm On Sep 20, 2011
aieromon:

I was just going to drop that in. We are in the rainy season, this is very much expected. In fact we should be doing better considering the huge amount of rainfall we have experienced.
Re: Electricity Generation Now At 4,242mw – Nnaji by JaaizTech: 6:32pm On Sep 20, 2011
samyng:

[size=13pt]The truth of the matter is that over 7 year now where i stay in Lagos gets up to 20 - 23 hours of light daily there was even a time around 2004 when we stayed over one whole week with 24 hrs power supply and no interuptions at all. it was mind blowing and i wonder how many Mega watts they had then. Then we used to put of the fridge and put them on anytime we like,  but when i visit other places or travel to different cities in nigeria the light issue is very annoying.  I still appreciate the improvement of power supply in other cities like what they are doing at my area here in lagos but i need them to improve power supply at other locations as it would be fair if the whole of  lagos and nigeria as a whole especially the east gets such kind of power supply [/size]
aieromon:

My brother i beg where you dey live for Lagos. I need to relocate sharply.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Import From China / Dubai Purchase And Shipping Services / How To Get Corporate Sponsorships For Anything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.