Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers (54551 Views)

The Fake Families Being Smuggled Into The UK / 10 Million Naira To Japa Or Business In Nigeria / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Ray07(m): 9:31am On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
brother, people that are working are working. They just did that niger bridge, train systems are popping up all over the country, dangote refinery, deep sea port, bridges being built, new airports being built. People are working. We will get there wink
All we ask for is accountability. All this Japa matter for no too plenty.

It well.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by sukkot: 9:36am On Apr 07, 2023
Ray07:
All we ask for is accountability. All this Japa matter for no too plenty.

It well.
people are not japaing because they are suffering, people are japaing because they are greedy. The real poor people cannot afford to japa

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by hakeemhakeem(m): 10:18am On Apr 07, 2023
sisisioge:
If you've been in naija for a while suffering the naija situation, the money will just be like an affordable means to an end.

Back in naija, I would close at VI at exactly 5pm, prior to that I would change my parking so I could hit the road immediately cos I was going to Oregun, then proceed to spend another 3 to 4 hrs on the road. Not a smooth drive o, traffic holdup, other crazy drivers, potholes and cracks everywhere. It was crazy!

Get home nko, I was lucky to live in the bit where PHCN hardly took light, but there are still days they did. Then I'm stuck with the heat or generator's noise all through the night.

Eat a simple meal, sleep to repeat the next day. Omo,e no easy o. I quickly lost weight like person on a weight lost journey and became an angry Nigerian as I felt cheated by the system. My former workplace was like 15mins drive from home....the stress was real.

So if I had a 100mil, I would spend it to get out of the hell-hole to go and become a street sweeper in the UK so long as my peace is guaranteed. I dislike wahala like kilode.

With 100m in this present naija don't need to stress yourself, just be your own boss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by lereinter(m): 10:48am On Apr 07, 2023
sisisioge:

Hmmmm, what faces person A might be backing person B o. Many didnt plan it well while some just did it for basic things like:

1. The free education for the kids. O boy, my friends kids are doing the kind of researches our university students cant do in their grade schools. Their level of thinking, discussions and reasoning is humbling to those of us that grew up in naija. You speak to a 6yo and wonder where that confidence and brightness came from...

2. Healthcare. Hmmmm, I dont want to tell you what someone close to me went through last year. If it were in naija, she's a goner. We thank God and the country for mercies.

3. Peace of mind and better quality of life. I cant over emphasize it. A friend visited naija recently from Canny and was unable to have a good night sleep, he had forgotten the kind of unrest that was our "normal" ....Bangers, gun shots, armed robbers, naija police, agbero, reckless road users, avoidable deaths, messy healthcare, etc.

4. Better infrastructures

5. The choice of country. There are some countries that is a sheer waste of time and resources. At the moment, UK is saturated, some parts of the US is dangerous. Na to choose right o.

Honestly, if one hasn't left naija, one wont realize what one is missing. Yes, it's expensive, harder to break into the labour market especially to be on the same level one was in naija, harder to save money, harder to get used to their food....but the means justifies the end. If them clean up naija today....everyone will run back home cos there is no place like home.

Don't mind them

May God no let kidnappers collect 20m from us

With all your money what's the enjoyment in nigeria, where's the peace, where's the health care, where's the security

Let dem continue confusing themselves

10 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Benwallt(m): 11:56am On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
Ishilove see abuse of power ooo. this the same post here, did it break any rules ? it got removed from travel section

These mods are biased. I received ban on daily basis over nothing. I have been banned again this morning. It is a daily thing but I will not beg anybody.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by being(m): 12:22pm On Apr 07, 2023
Just based on the advantages & disadvantages YOU wrote alone, I completely disagree one is better off over there.
And I know of other disadvantages!!
sisisioge:

Hmmmm, what faces person A might be backing person B o. Many didnt plan it well while some just did it for basic things like:

1. The free education for the kids. O boy, my friends kids are doing the kind of researches our university students cant do in their grade schools. Their level of thinking, discussions and reasoning is humbling to those of us that grew up in naija. You speak to a 6yo and wonder where that confidence and brightness came from...

2. Healthcare. Hmmmm, I dont want to tell you what someone close to me went through last year. If it were in naija, she's a goner. We thank God and the country for mercies.

3. Peace of mind and better quality of life. I cant over emphasize it. A friend visited naija recently from Canny and was unable to have a good night sleep, he had forgotten the kind of unrest that was our "normal" ....Bangers, gun shots, armed robbers, naija police, agbero, reckless road users, avoidable deaths, messy healthcare, etc.

4. Better infrastructures

5. The choice of country. There are some countries that is a sheer waste of time and resources. At the moment, UK is saturated, some parts of the US is dangerous. Na to choose right o.

Honestly, if one hasn't left naija, one wont realize what one is missing. Yes, it's expensive, harder to break into the labour market especially to be on the same level one was in naija, harder to save money, harder to get used to their food....but the means justifies the end. If them clean up naija today....everyone will run back home cos there is no place like home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by sisisioge: 12:27pm On Apr 07, 2023
being:
Just based on the advantages & disadvantages YOU wrote alone, I completely disagree one is better off over there.
And I know of other disadvantages!!

It's ok to disagree. Every mallam to his kettle. May God not let you have any dire reason to use naija healthcare system for instance, that's when you will understand why there is a thing called medical Tourism. I hope people will stop quoting me on this matter fa grin. Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Treadway: 12:52pm On Apr 07, 2023
1Sharon:

Their stories are truly intriguing. This japa movement has really ruined relationships between Nigerians. Couples breaking up, thinking they can do better than each other, friends becoming enemies. I just listen to them and see how unreasonable and paranoid Nigerians can be.

They don't let people in on their plans because they fear evil eye. But if you don't trust friends, why have them around you and then turn around to expect well wishes?

People who were comfortable in Nigeria with multiple houses and cars, got rid of it all, just for greed.
As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But then what happened with Yul Edochie's son made me rethink a little. The rich in Nigeria still feel insecurity. If Yul's son was in a developed country, a seizure won't have killed him.
lol. Very hilarious submission. Bob Marley's grandson died of asthma. I used that example as it is a known person. There is even a trend with a hashtag 'died suddenly' of an uptick in the number of young people suddenly dropping dead in public eg at the gym etc...and conspiracy theorist are even trying to tie it to the covid vaccine ( which could have some merit actually) BUT according to you people don't die overseas.

Funny peeps full here I swear.🤣

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Kelechi009: 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
brother despite the hardship and suffering in Nigeria are people in Nigeria not building houses ? Even vulcaniser in naija is building bungalow in his village. So the answer to your question is a few people will take extreme measures like for example you can find 10 naija guys sharing a 2 bedroom flat. Some sleep on floor, some sleep on sofa, some sleep in the kitchen etc just so they can have small rent so they can save to build house in Nigeria but these are guys who have dedicated to suffer in London because they know they are coming back home. But the question is ? How many people want to live like that in London ? You want to use toilet but there are like 4 housemates on the queue waiting to use it before you. These are the extreme measures you have to take in London to sAve good money or to build a house. But also let me say most of those houses belong to criminals too. Many of our people are into selling drugs and Bank fraud. So it's under these conditions you can thrive . Crime or sharing house with 10 guys lol

I think you answered this question incompletely, the major reason people are able to send money back home is because of the poor Naira value. If pounds was 100 Naira to a Pound, Nigerians will hardly travel any where. People complain about jobs in Nigeria but when they travel to UK, all they do is Care Jobs, that's the only job available for most people.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Kelechi009: 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2023
sisisioge:

It's ok to disagree. Every mallam to his kettle. May God not let you have any dire reason to use naija healthcare system for instance, that's when you will understand why there is a thing called medical Tourism. I hope people will stop quoting me on this matter fa grin. Cheers.

Maybe medication & healthcare systems are good in Canada, but not in the Uk, my big bro complains of even getting emergency help, you cannot call NHS unless you are at the point of death. That's the only time help can come to you, the NHS is highly under staffed. Sometimes I have had to ship drugs to my bro from the US. NHS nurses starting salary is 27k in the UK & Nurses are leaving for Australia in droves, IN DROVES!

If you are in Canada, just thank God because abroad is different from abroad.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by sisisioge: 1:14pm On Apr 07, 2023
Kelechi009:

Maybe medication & healthcare systems are good in Canada, but not in the Uk, my big bro complains of even getting emergency help, you cannot call NHS unless you are at the point of death. That's the only time help can come to you, the NHS is highly under staffed. Sometimes I have had to ship drugs to my bro from the US. NHS nurses starting salary is 27k in the UK & Nurses are leaving for Australia in droves, IN DROVES!

If you are in Canada, just thank God because abroad is different from abroad.

Thank you o....my argument hasn't been for UK but for Canada. Everyone with their truth/experience. Abroad is indeed different from abroad.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by bukatyne(f): 1:40pm On Apr 07, 2023
NoToPile:
Lots who have jobs with good govt agencies are japaing without tidying up at their offices, I don't understand why a level 16-17 officer will just vanish without any paper work, at least apply for sabbatical leave.

This is so funny!

Vanish Kwa?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by bukatyne(f): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
people are not japaing because they are suffering, people are japaing because they are greedy. The real poor people cannot afford to japa

Hmmmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by NoToPile: 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2023
bukatyne:

This is so funny!

Vanish Kwa?

Yeah vanish abi is there any other way to describe holding a management meeting with the individual present, issues were discussed, the person would have contributed oo only for you to hear the person has japaed 3 days later no letter nothing just disappear, the funniest part was now that 3 different peeps in a critical department did it.

The oga patapata who came back from this same UK himself and was appointed to head was like there are ways to do these things you don't spoil this ground because you are seeking another ground, you tidy up properly because you never can tell.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2023
Klass99:

This is the part that bothers me the most about this japa movement, why sell off the house too? That is solid shelter right there for the rest of your life, yet we give it up for rented shelter, shared spaces, cramped houses, in middle age or old age when we should be working towards a retirement.

What are we doing to ourselves as a people? Can they not leave the houses alone as a fall back plan, holiday home or rental property? My bad, that's where the bulk of the exorbitant relocation fees actually comes from, I don't even know what I am saying sef cheesy. Mary J. Blige be confusing me this morning with her real love track, old school music rocks!

Lol everything had to go because they thought
they could do better. The ppl already in the West tried to tell them it's not so easy abroad, but they dismissed them as wanting to stop their progress.

How can Nigerians abroad tell you its not a bed of roses and you dismiss them as if they just lied to you? Nigerians are just unreasonable.

The new wave of japarians performed poorly compared to Nigerians of 20-50 years ago.
Maybe because most of them came with nothing and some still have nothing but that softens the blow.

The new wave say they're doing it for their kids, but it's just their greed.
If they were bothered about their kids, they would have left many years before they even had kids to properly plan.

Love old school music aswell 🙌🏾

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 2:12pm On Apr 07, 2023
Treadway:
lol. Very hilarious submission. Bob Marley's grandson died of asthma. I used that example as it is a known person. There is even a trend with a hashtag 'died suddenly' of an uptick in the number of young people suddenly dropping dead in public eg at the gym etc...and conspiracy theorist are even trying to tie it to the covid vaccine ( which could have some merit actually) BUT according to you people don't die overseas.

Funny peeps full here I swear.🤣

These things are rare, that's why people are making a deal of it.
But in Nigeria, people die needlessly.
Diseases that don't kill anymore are still killing 3rd worlders.

Eg did you know abortions are actually a very safe procedure?

7 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 2:20pm On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
alright let's do the math on your lying friend. 10 pounds per hour at 40 hours a week is 1600 a month. Tax will leave him with 1200 a month . Rent in Sunderland maybe 500 a month he has 700 left. Utilities like 300. He has 400 left. Council tax 150. He has 250 left. Phone and internet. 100. He has 150 left.

I haven't added feeding and this your friend has only 150 left. I put it to you that your friend does not even make enough to feed himself or get a haircut or buy clothes. He will be one of those Nigerians over there who go to Salvation Army charity or church charity to get free food because they can't feed tbemself. Almost 40 percent of Nigerians in the UK cannot afford food. If you go to the charity section of every church where they give free food to the hungry it's full of Nigerian families.

😂

It's Sunderland, not Manchester or Birmingham.

I know rent in manny is £500 for a studio. Now in Sunderland it should be even less.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 2:26pm On Apr 07, 2023
Ray07:
At least the money is use for the betterment of the country. Unlike like the hell call Nigeria, where one person go carry the whole money go do dorime for Dubai. grin

Them say we no wan pay tax . . . To fix one basic amenities na world war for Nigeria gov. They expect people to pay tax hell we go through daily to make money. sad

Nigerians are also the problem of Nigeria.

You guys contribute money to build lavish churches but you don't contribute money to build good roads or even a small clinic.

It's all about priorities.

Stop calling "government" they have already shown you that they don't care about you.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 3:42pm On Apr 07, 2023

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 4:09pm On Apr 07, 2023
Klass99:

Let me give you their typical answer/response to the text in bold - if it is not easy then enter plane and come back na. I am sure you have seen this countless times on front page grin

There's an erroneous belief in their hearts that anyone trying to educate, inform or caution them about japa is an enemy of progress, a bad belle or envious person, who doesn't want others to benefit the good things obodo has in store.

I have heard all kinds of reasons for japa relocation that I don't bother to debate or argue with. Even when you point them to personal stories and accounts of life overseas by African diasporans (not Nigerian diasporans alone but other Africans) they will still fight and curse. The behaviour is very unreasonable like you said.

One love to old school music. So you are also in this UK, Sukkot keeps demystifying for us? Seeing as you know rental prices in Sunderland, Manny & Birmingham.

Yep! 🤣 "if it's not so easy then come back", they love to say. But alot of people in cities in Nigeria moved there from elsewhere and they themselves don't just run back to where they came from either when they face challenges. They try to make it work. Yet they dish that advise freely to people abroad.

At the same time if you tell them how good things have been for you and how you've gone from milestone to milestone. Don't think that helps either. They still accuse you of living a fake life and trying to oppress them 🤣

Yep I am. Where are you?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 4:43pm On Apr 07, 2023

3 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:
Sister in fact their whole life over there is BILLS. I forget to add TV license too lol. To watch your own TV you go pay government tax. Hehe. If you own car ? To park on any street in the UK or to drive on any street you go pay ROAD TAX.

Na wa.
But I feel Canada might be fair compared to UK, as well as having more job opportunities.
Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2023
sukkot:

Many are japaing to provide their kids with a more secure future, though. Many that I know, at least.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 5:07pm On Apr 07, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2023
Klass99:

How exactly? Through citizenship? Another country's passport? I really need to understand what they mean when they say this. 1Sharon please can you explain it to me?

The lady in this video talks about the racism she and her children experienced in the UK, in spite of being a Jamaican British, born and bred there, having citizenship and all........the video tells her story better than I can summarize it. Wait for it

Since I am one of the people with that mindset, here is what I believe my kids stand to benefit:
1. Access to better healthcare
2. Lower crime rate (this is why I prefer countries like Canada and Netherlands)
3. Better opportunities ( with the way Nigeria's population continues to explode versus its low rate of economic development, I see job availability/security getting exponentially worse in the future).

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 5:21pm On Apr 07, 2023
Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2023
fortyishcouga:

Since I am one of the people with that mindset, here is what I believe my kids stand to benefit:
1. Access to better healthcare
2. Lower crime rate (this is why I prefer countries like Canada and Netherlands)
3. Better opportunities ( with the way Nigeria's population continues to explode versus its low rate of economic development, I see job availability/security getting exponentially worse in the future).

The best time to japa would have been before you had kids, travelling with kids is not so easy

10 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Kelechi009: 5:38pm On Apr 07, 2023
fortyishcouga:

Many are japaing to provide their kids with a more secure future, though. Many that I know, at least.

Not just future for kids, many are travelling for themselves. They are able to earn a good amount of money, send back home to families.
Nigerians abroad remit $26 billion dollars from Guardian News Paper as at December 2020 for just one year.
Link: guardian.ng/news/nigerians-abroad-remit-26-billion/

4 Likes

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 5:41pm On Apr 07, 2023

1 Like

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 07, 2023
1Sharon:

The best time to japa would have been before you had kids, travelling with kids is not so easy

Hmmm. What are the cons?
Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by 1Sharon(f): 5:45pm On Apr 07, 2023
Klass99:

Can that future not be secured after having the children?

Ofcourse. But it's more difficult when the kids are already here. because you not only have to find your feet, you have to worry about childcare aswell

Cc: Fortyishcouga

1 Like

Re: How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers by Klass99(f): 5:51pm On Apr 07, 2023

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

1,200 Years Old Strange Mummy Tied In Net Rope Discovered In Peru(Photos) / Airasia Flight Found Upside Down At The Bottom Of The Sea . / A Nairalander’s Road Trip To New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.