Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? (545 Views)

DNA Centre Sheds Light On Child Paternity Fraud In Nigeria / Couple Ignore Their Maid At A Restaurant, Angry Nigerians React (Photos) / I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Bayonet40: 6:26pm On Apr 07, 2023
Why do most Nigerian women maltreat children who serve them as maids?

Judging from the attached photo

Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:40pm On Apr 07, 2023
Bayonet40:
Why do most Nigerian women maltreat children who serve them as maids?

Judging from the attached photo

Its a vicious cycle,

What sort of a parent send a child to
work for someone

What sort of person are you who accepts anyone under 18 to be your maid

What society are that allows that to happen

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Mindlog: 6:54pm On Apr 07, 2023
The root cause are the parents who give out their children out as maids.
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Youngzipan(m): 7:52pm On Apr 07, 2023
as far as its a Nigerian, that house help must be maltreated and not treated the same way as the other children, it's what people do even my own mother, 99 percent of Nigerians deserves to be gathered in one place and an American fighter jet would just release nuclear bomb on them, blow them to ashes booooooooo!
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:13pm On Apr 07, 2023
Mindlog:
The root cause are the parents who give out their children out as maids.

you cant blame one part, there are both in the wrong
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:16pm On Apr 07, 2023
Youngzipan:
as far as its a Nigerian, that house help must be maltreated and not treated the same way as the other children, it's what people do even my own mother, 99 percent of Nigerians deserves to be gathered in one place and an American fighter jet would just release nuclear bomb on them, blow them to ashes booooooooo!

what surprise me is eg

You mistreat him/her, will do the same to your kids when you are not around

teenagers will put whatever in your food
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Mindlog: 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

you cant blame one part, there are both in the wrong

Yes both in the wrong but once people become responsible enough to birth only the children they can cater for and have provisions for them even in the event of untimely death of parents, there will be no supply of such minors of house maid.

If that same woman happens to be in the West, she would comfortably live her family without a house maid because there is no supply of minors for such neither can she afford to pay hourly to an adult to work in her.home.

Cut off source.
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2023
Mindlog:

Yes both in the wrong but once people become responsible enough to birth only the children they can cater for and have provisions for them even in the event of untimely death of parents, there will be no supply of such minors of house maid.

If that same woman happens to be in the West, she would comfortably live her family without a house maid because there is no supply of minors for such neither can she afford to pay hourly to an adult to work in her.home.

Cut off source.

i get your point but sometimes circumstance change in life, were things were perfect and able look aftet eg 4 kids, then things like recession corona etc can change the one's life

Even a person with just two kids can run into troubles of life
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Mindlog: 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

i get your point but sometimes circumstance change in life, were things were perfect and able look aftet eg 4 kids, then things like recession corona etc can change the one's life

Even a person with just two kids can run into troubles of life

When such person runs into troubles of life, do not sacrifice your children as a means of relief, setting them up for exploitation that would leave them with life long scars.
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2023
Mindlog:

When such person runs into troubles of life, do not sacrifice your children as a means of relief, setting them up for exploitation that would leave them with life long scars.

true

thats why i blame both, would the employer want her of that age to be a maid ?
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:52am On Apr 08, 2023
Youngzipan:

grin grin
I like your sincerity.

Many Nigerian women are involved in that evil, including my own wife.

I think that's just a reflection of their inherent inability to handle power when given one.

It's also the same reason women who are their families' breadwinners maltreat/oppress their husbands.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by Mindlog: 6:45am On Apr 08, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

grin grin
I like your sincerity.

I think that's just a reflection of their inherent inability to handle power when given one.

It's also the same reason women who are their families' breadwinners maltreat/oppress their husbands.

As the head of your home, it is your responsibility to see that everyone under your roof is treated humanely, this is not about power but the sense of control, displacement brings and your wife seeks that while you have become an observer.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by GboyegaD(m): 6:47am On Apr 08, 2023
Blame those who are irresponsible and give out their children as househelps.
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by GboyegaD(m): 7:01am On Apr 08, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

grin grin
I like your sincerity.

What have you done/ are you doing to ensure such stops? You are as guilty as your wife.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:30am On Apr 08, 2023
Mindlog:

As the head of your home, it is your responsibility to see that everyone under your roof is treated humanely, this is not about power but the sense of control, displacement brings and your wife seeks that while you have become an observer.

What i did then while we were still in Nigeria is a different topic.
Understand that this thread is not about that, just as you should also understand that you don't have enough information to reach any conclusion.
Re: Whats Your Take On Child Abuse (maid)? by NoToPile: 7:44am On Apr 08, 2023
It's a cycle.

Some are not given as maids to be paid salary but the children are given out to couples so that the couples will take 'care' of them. The maid helps around the house while the couple are responsible for feeding schooling etc etc.

It might be non relatives but also common with relatives, someone from the husband's or wife's family sends their child to live with the couple mostly from those who can't cater from their child.

I feel the principle is supposed to be the same when your younger sibling comes to live with you, you protect and take care of her while the child is useful around the house but most maltreat the so called maids who are under 18.

If direct siblings can be maltreated, how much more distant relatives or non relatives The solution still is let parents take care of their children themselves just that sometimes life happens and there is no choice other than to ship these younglings out to relatives and non relatives.

I have seen this work for some people though, the children were treated well and trained up to tertiary level, I know one personally and those who don't know the story won't know she isn't the wife's sister she should be about 21 now, people's lives still get changed for the better by living with somebody from a tender age.

(1) (Reply)

Help!!!, My Partner’s Betrayal Has Pushed Me To Depression / If You Are Enjoying Your Marriage, How Did You Get To Meet Your Partner? / We Help U Utilise Your Spare Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.