Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,520 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? (14149 Views)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 6:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
Repubocrat:

Pidgin might unite two different ethnic Nigerians but Englsih will unite them both and more. It's a no-brainer.

Same elitist mentality.

People like you make me chuckle., because there's nothing funnier than a man that takes Pride in things he didn't even achieve. Only ignorant people take pride in attributes/cultures defaulted to them.

Just thank your lucky educated stars we got colonized by the british.

Troll. If you arent proud of your indigenous language then you had better speak perfect IngRish or you're just a mamagoranka kukugbendu wazabanga in a monkey shadow kettle. Gragbajendous kurupraktor!!!!

Meddler:

Dumb Bottom!!!!! Coming on here and displaying your level of ignorance. Pidgin as someone put it here is another dialect u dipstick. There's absolutely nothing wrong with speaking pidgin. Just like there is nothing wrong with speaking Igbo, yoruba or hausa or any dialect for that matter. Adapting it as an official language is not so far fetched. So go stick your ignorant head up in someone's a** and let us exposed mind speak. Mumu!!!!

Blockhead! Beast of no gender! Oversized fatty yansh!!! Smelly teeth! For disagreeing with me I hereby declare your nether regions the eternal resting place of a thousand motherlesss cockroaches, with RABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also you ignorant bint, shut up and go eat some kolanuts. Yoruba igbo and hausa are great languages with many dialects and deep rich histories, that speak volumes about the cultures that birthed them. If you compare bullshit slave talk like pidgin to my language again I will force feed you a banana sausage.

Finally when you have finally fetched your eyeballs out of your arse and put them back into their sockets (try not to let them fall into the empty space between your ears) go and read where i said IT IS STUPID TO MAKE PIDGIN YA NATIONAL LANGUAGE BUT SPEAKING IT IN RELAXED ENVIRONMENTS IS OK.

Mumu gell.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 6:15pm On Sep 21, 2011
And Afrikaans = Dutch+ Bantu languages+ English +Malay.

@blakmonsta

You are suffering from heavy doze of inferiority complex. You need serious deliverance from the spirit of kolomentality. You can book an appointment for counseling and prayer. E bi like say u resemble your name 'Monsta'.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2011
Mr--Why:

And Afrikaans = Dutch+ Bantu languages+ English +Malay.

@blakmonsta

You are suffering from heavy doze of inferiority complex. You need serious deliverance from the spirit of kolomentality. You can book an appointment for counseling and prayer. E bi like say u resemble your name 'Monsta'.

f0ol. So preferring my indigenous language to slave talk is inferiority complex abi?

Gerrout and go piss on top live wire. Moronic element.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by OmoTier1(m): 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2011
me dey baffle for some slowpico wey dey yan for here say pidgin dey retard sharp men intelligence! This one don pass inferiorio!

Area! how many of una don go Bristol or chepstow for england? dem get thier own  written inglish! so which one some people dey form for here? even the queens inglish dey undergo panel beating as we dey yan so!

During Isaac Newton time, dem yan classical inglish, when Georgia and victoria com  np be hin dem kom dem twist am to queens and kings inglish?

abeg leave matter for mattais jor,
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

me dey baffle for some slowpico wey dey yan for here say pidgin dey slowpoke sharp men intelligence! This one don pass inferiorio!

Area! how many of una don go Bristol or chepstow for england? dem get thier own  written inglish! so which one some people dey form for here? even the queens inglish dey undergo panel beating as we dey yan so!

During Isaac Newton time, dem yan classical inglish, when Georgia and victoria com  np be hin dem kom dem twist am to queens and kings inglish?

abeg leave matter for mattais jor,

Rockhead. Nobody says u should not have ya street slang. Just let it be known as that and dont call it ya national language like a FOOL. Or u go go yan chavvy south london "innit" for job interview eh?

Mumu.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by KnowAll(m): 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
When it comes to national language it should still be standard English but when they are rounding up a disater story  they can throw in soundbites such as " e be like say katakata wan burst for that area" this kind of news would be different from any standard news from Britain, Australia or USA.

Just like d NewZealanders have embraced d " Haka" we should throw in some popular pidgn soundbites into our news.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2011
@BLACKMONSTA!!!!!!

U dey mental there, uncle Tom like you. Who tell you say na slave talk, Brainwashed idiot like you. Spanish, Italian, Portuguese were derived from Latin as pidgin and refereed to as Romance languages. No body tell you say make you prefer your native language to pidgin. If it should be used as a lingua franca, then, nothing spoil after all, it is still part of our history.

Na people like you go see oyibo and start to badmouth Africans. Your ID fit you well MONSTA.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 6:36pm On Sep 21, 2011
Mr--Why:

@BLACKMONSTA!!!!!!

U dey mental there, uncle Tom like you. Who tell you say na slave talk, Brainwashed like you. Spanish, Italian, Portuguese were derived from Latin as pidgin and refereed to as Romance languages. No body tell you say make you prefer your native language to pidgin. If it should be used as a lingua franca, then, nothing spoil after all, it is still part of our history.

Na people like you go see oyibo and start to badmouth Africans. Your ID fit you well MONSTA.

Na you dey mental. Imma MONSTA and Imma EAT your nonsense post right now!!!

WHAT crap. elevating pidgin to the level of spanish portuguese or even my own exalted language YORUBA? To sheol with you and SHIO from fadeyi oloro himself. GET OUT!

Na you be uncle tom. Nonsense and ingredients. Na you wan use oyinbo slave language as your mother tongue not me. Me, I already have a language and I dont need some rubbish crap gutter talk based on one white man's language to call MY NATIONAL LANGUAGE.

Are you freaking kidding me. And these primates call ME an uncle tom. Nor be uncle tom. Na uncle tomilinus. Shio.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 6:59pm On Sep 21, 2011
@BlakMONSTA

Even Arabic get pidgin. Na him Egyptian Arabs they speak that is why it is called Egyptian Arabic. Idioto and DOKITA like you. Travel a little or read some history. Language evolves and used as a form of communication to transmit information which includes culture,identity and history of the people.

That your native language(Yoruba) get writing system? Na still the Slave master alphabets u still dey use write your native language SIMPLETON like you. If person post another thread about constructing our own writing system, na UNCLE TOMS like you na him go first say no. Na person like you go see African Americans and start to call their English ghetto, just to please your Onyibo Master.

MR MONSTER, use LOGIC and FACTS instead of EMOTIONS.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2011
Mr--Why:

@BlakMONSTA

Even Arabic get pidgin. Na him Egyptian Arabs they speak that is why it is called Egyptian Arabic. Idioto and DOKITA like you. Travel a little or read some history. Language evolves and used as a form of communication to transmit information which includes culture,identity and history of the people.

That your native language(Yoruba) get writing system? Na still the Slave master alphabets u still dey use write your native language SIMPLETON like you. If person post another thread about constructing our own writing system, na UNCLE TOMS like you na him go first say no. Na person like you go see African Americans and start to call their English ghetto, just to please your Onyibo Master.

MR MONSTER, use LOGIC and FACTS instead of EMOTIONS.

How dare you insinuate that my language has no writing system? dokita like you! cheesy

PIDGIN GET WRITING SYSTEM?? NAAAAAWNSENSE. as if the thing get standard sef. Ingredients.

Tomilinus like you. Ghetto english is ghetto english like it or not. Learn your language and stop trying to coopt another mans language you ogogoro drinkard.

Wa banka. Na you get oyinbo master. Pidgin speaker. shio.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 7:10pm On Sep 21, 2011
All you coconut heads talking rubbish about using pidgin as a national language, read this excerpt from wikipedia:

Fundamentally, a pidgin is a simplified means of linguistic communication, as it is constructed impromptu, or by convention, between groups of people. A pidgin is not the native language of any speech community, [/b]but is instead learned as a second language.[1][2] A pidgin may be built from words, sounds, or body language from multiple other languages and cultures. [b]Pidgins usually have low prestige with respect to other languages.[3]

YOU HEARD THAT.

LOW PRESTIGE.

take that, f0ols! the BLACK MONSTA has spoken
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
In short, pidgin should not and should never be our national langiage

ITS VERY EXISTENCE IS A SYMPTOM OF THE FACT THAT WE HAVE NO NATIONAL LANGUAGE.

It is a disease, a cancer and must be wiped out. We need a REAL national language not some slang.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 7:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
@blackMOMSTA

I see say you still dey worship your SLAVE MASTA. They have written your history for you for the past 400years and you are still adhering to them. No wonder you still dey live in the STONE AGE.

Ur native language get writing system? Na still your SLAVE MASTA alphabets you dey use write your Yoruba language. Paste your writing system on here make I see. Beside, I doubt whether you know what writing system is. Go check Wikipedia wey your mate write for you.

Na still the same Oyibo dey try distort the fact say Egyptian was never a Black civilization and that Africans were savages before they started exploiting us. Not knowing that we had our own flourishing Kingdoms and civilization.

You Babushka. Free your mind and think for yourself for ONCE Akuya.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 7:39pm On Sep 21, 2011
Mr--Why:

@blackMOMSTA

I see say you still dey worship your SLAVE MASTA. They have written your history for you for the past 400years and you are still adhering to them. No wonder you still dey live in the STONE AGE.

your native language get writing system? Na still your SLAVE MASTA alphabets you dey use write your Yoruba language. Paste your writing system on here make I see. Beside, I doubt whether you know what writing system is. Go check Wikipedia wey your mate write for you.

Na still the same Oyibo dey try distort the fact say Egyptian was never a Black civilization and that Africans were savages before they started exploiting us. Not knowing that we had our own flourishing Kingdoms and civilization.

You Babushka. Free your mind and think for yourself for ONCE Akuya.

mr why, you are so confused.

You call me a slave yet you are the one who so fervently wants to adopt a colonial contraption as your language.

You are the one putting down your own language and equating it to pidgin.

I pity you. Obviously your brain is misfiring in different directions at the same time. Intellectual epilepsy. It must be panic at the sight of the MONSTA!!!!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 21, 2011
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 7:54pm On Sep 21, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Ogugua, Americans speak English. There is no language called American. There are no words like "gooder" and "stupider". You cannot generalize street terms to all of America. I live in Pasadena, in California, and no one

speaks like that. Maybe, it's because I live around educated folks. Even when I am on break and I go back to the hood, I have never heard "gooder" nor "stupider". Yes, I have heard the phrase, "you got beat", but it is grammatically incorrect and no

educated American would use that phrase in his or her sentences. Each country that speaks English has her own distinct phrases and terms that the indigenes have added to the language; however, the base language is still English and it is sometimes

prefixed---British English, American English, Canadian English---to distinguish it from others simply because of spelling discrepancies. Have you ever heard anyone speaking Canadian or British? No. Neither have I.

Omo to dun, you are sweet like honey. I gbadun you with igbadun to gbona felifeli, you are the true daughter of your mother, a lone princess in a sea of cuccarachas!

<monstaApproval> the MONSTA approves </monstaApproval>
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by avus29: 8:07pm On Sep 21, 2011
Of course! we need to encourage pidgin english as it is the only effective way Nigerians communicate, even my illiterate Grandmother. Take as an instance an Igbo guy who wants to pay a Yoruba trader for goods purchased saying "were" which in Yoruba translates to a Lunatic, Imaging the scene that will follow. Abeg Nigerians Pidgin English is one of the things that keeps us together, Speak on patriots!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 8:16pm On Sep 21, 2011
It seems you are seeing DOUBLE. You need to see an optician. I called you an Uncle Tom and not a Slave. You are the one that were using derogatory and to some extent racial terms to label your follow nairalanders without engaging in constructive conversation or criticism.

Now read again. I said using pidgin as a lingua franca that almost everyone in naija understands won't be a bad idea at all. Majority of our pupils fail simply because they can't understand the syntax of the 'Queens English'. Mr man before you consult somewhat unreliable Wikipedia postings next time, try to have a conversation with an accomplished Linguist.

If we were to reinstall our kingdoms like Odudua, Benin, Nri and co kingdoms, then using indigenous native language will be perfectly fine. As far as Nigeria is concerned with more than 250 tribes, we need a unique form of communication in all aspects that will unite us on the national level.

After all, Western Civilization was built upon other ancient civilizations. The Chinese invented the Computer(Abacus) and the Europeans advanced it. African Americans pioneered Hip Hop and it became mainstream and others are influenced by it.

Go and ask Fela why he sang in Pidgin. Sabaka and Rakomi like you.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by baby4u2(f): 8:18pm On Sep 21, 2011
Guys there is really no structure in pidgin, it involves improper english and slangs. Please speak it as you want but sincerely dont support it as a national language. I no dey form because i sabi speak pidgin, so make una no insult me.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by baby4u2(f): 8:20pm On Sep 21, 2011
Mr Why let build on something better dont you think, driving a cause that does not really belong to any set culture is not profitable.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Repubocrat(m): 8:24pm On Sep 21, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Ogugua, Americans speak English. There is no language called American. There are no words like "gooder" and "stupider". You cannot generalize street terms to all of America,

You're wrong. The word "stupider" is actually in existence. You can look it up.

Nevertheless, the variations between American and British English are quite negligible. Nigerian Pidgin on the other hand is entirely different, and lacks the needed competitive edge from a global standpoint.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2011
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by MrWhy1(m): 8:41pm On Sep 21, 2011
@baby4u2

Nne eh, you sound sweet and I understand where you are coming from.

But the fact remains that we need to have something unique to us. Any language can be structured. It only needs scholars and linguists to work on it. The first computers were programmed in binary language. It was a tedious process and computer scientist/linguist/logicians/philosophers had to come up with a text standard for programming and FORMAL languages were born. All we need to do in any endeavors of life is to THINK for ourselves and RESEARCH.

Enough of this topic. I think I will dedicate my Medulla Oblongata on something much Productive as you suggested.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Repubocrat(m): 8:43pm On Sep 21, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Thanks. I have checked it. But it is not exclusively American. It is applicable where grammatically correct English is concerned. Nigerian pidgin is not a language as far as I am concerned. It is just a simplistic corruption of the English Language. No books have been written in pidgin and, until its grammatical structures have been formalized, it will always remain a simplistic bastardization, at best.

Formal or Informal, pidgin has succeeded at fostering efficient communication among lines with seperate default languages. So, I'd scream woe at your attempt to ridicule pidgin english.

Again, language has its function which is merely to communicate. In that context, one can logically claim Pidgin to be a superior method of communication in comparison to any indigenous Nigerian language.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 21, 2011
It is easier speaking in and listening to pidgin english. However, it is quite tasking reading it. So I doubt it will make sense making it an official language.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by kemmeye: 8:58pm On Sep 21, 2011
its kinda the way you see jamaicans speaking patwa. its awesome and we should be proud of it
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by igboboy1(m): 9:04pm On Sep 21, 2011
^^^inferiority complex go kill naija i swear, what happened to valuing our own indigenous languages?

You are bringing jamaica into it undecided your analogies are re.tarded. Jamaicans for one are lost people, they dont know where they are from (i dont mean africa) they were brainwashed by the whites hence their patois).

We are in our native land and yet we want to speak a language that was derived from another language not native to our lands? your head dey shake wella,

I like pdgin but when it comes to official na indigienous languages all the way (for me na igbo)
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 9:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
It's a sad day when an army of nairalanders can sell out their mother tongues in favour of a bastardized, corrupted version of a foreign language.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by igboboy1(m): 9:06pm On Sep 21, 2011
blakmonsta:

It's a sad day when an army of nairalanders can sell out their mother tongues in favour of a bastardized, corrupted version of a foreign language.

no mind them, na inferiority complex go kill them
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 21, 2011
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by kemmeye: 9:12pm On Sep 21, 2011
why would you say my analogies are re.tarded it was my opinion so if you have a problem go take it out on the people who brought english to naija not me. if u wanna speak igbo nobody is stopping you i was just making a point.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by igboboy1(m): 9:26pm On Sep 21, 2011
^^^ Hey stewie is known for his re.tarded contributions in family guy. Take down that pic and maybe i will view you as an adult and not some little kid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osole Gbewa 15 Million Tabi 9million. / Learn How To Speak Pidgin Language / BBC Apologizes To Emir Sanusi Over False Publication Of Financial Recklessness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.