Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons (38142 Views)

Tinubu To Tribunal: Obi/LP's Petition, Final Written Address Is Fiction / INEC Calls One Witness, Closes Case In Obi, LP’s Petition / PEPT Steps Down Obi, LP Petition Over inconsistencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by DMerciful(m): 2:19pm On Apr 11, 2023
Not difficult now that most people have their polling unit result. They just need to call lots of witnesses
Ventura1:
You cannot aggregate rigging, it has to be proven PU by PU, and that is extremely difficult.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by zoedew: 2:20pm On Apr 11, 2023
Jeffy1206:
you forgot something that the difference between 1st and 3rd is just 2.4m votes which can easily be overtaking. Remember Kwankwaso saying that he will be ahead of tinubu if votes weren't allocated to him by inec. He knew still that he didn't win that's why he decided not to go to court.
Well🤔🧐
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by 2016v2017: 2:21pm On Apr 11, 2023
CondenseMilk:
APC said that PO should go to court. Now that PO is in court you want the judge to dismiss the case?

Never!
They're afraid of national and global disgrace
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by DMerciful(m): 2:22pm On Apr 11, 2023
If there's substitution window, clearly anybody can be substituted by the party because substitution is after a name has been submitted. So if someone can be substituted later and be valid, why will someone earlier be invalid?
seanfer:

Obi was not substitute.. He is the sole candidate for the primary election
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by rolams(m): 2:22pm On Apr 11, 2023
APC don win Obi. LP will be defeated on a technical ground.!

What a loss!

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by 27Pushing30: 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2023
bro the average Obident has a delusion that i cannot comprehend

Heck they believe a massacre happened at Toll gate FFS.

The law is even clear Obi cannot be a candidate for Labour party on normal grounds.

So let us see how Abure wan take forge backdated list.

I know a lot of smart people... how dem take dull up for Obidient matter naim still dey shock me.

Same jazzman wey run am for Buhari , run am for Obi.. e sure me

Eniitankorede:

Many of you are legally illiterate. If you know the law, you will see that their counter argument is very strong and compelling. How can Obi contest election when he was not a member of LP? How can Obi claim irregularities without giving evidence on polling unit basis? Answer those questions based on the law.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by rolams(m): 2:25pm On Apr 11, 2023
seunmsg:

Serous cost for wasting everybody’s time.

The APC equally argued that the petition was improperly constituted having failed to join Atiku Abubakar and PDP who were necessary parties to be affected by the reliefs sought

“By Paragraph 17 of the petition, the petitioners, on their own, stated that Alhaji Atiku Abubakar came second in the presidential election with 6,984,520 votes as against the petitioners who came third with 6,101,533 votes;

“At Paragraph 102 (ii) of the petition, the petitioners urged the tribunal to determine that 1st petitioner scored the majority of lawful votes without joining Alhaji Atiku Abubakar in the petition.

“For the tribunal to grant prayer (iii) of the petitioners, the tribunal must have set aside the scores and election of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar,

“Alhaji Atiku Abubakar must be heard before his votes can be discountenanced by the tribunal,” it said.

This point alone has destroyed Peter Obi’s petition. The quacks who filed Obi Obi’s petition will be sweating after reading this technical point. Wole Olanipekun is damn good in destroying cases on technical grounds.

To delusional obedients, it’s game over. Obi’s watery case has been shredded to pieces.

The technicality here strong die!

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by DMerciful(m): 2:25pm On Apr 11, 2023
Which evidence? Twitter post?
Eniitankorede:

We have evidence that shows Obi resigned on 20th May 2022 from PDP. As at that time he was not an LP member, and he contested for presidency of LP. This is a nullity in law.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by soojar(m): 2:35pm On Apr 11, 2023
Venerable612:

You know the Law!

Well said!

The preliminary objections are quite punchy - sammarily:
1. Peter Obi does not have locus to contest the election and bring the petition at all;

2. failure to add Atiku/PDP to the petition is a huge miss, as PO can’t be declared winner if at all he is successful without first discountenancing Atiku’s votes;

3. no pleadings on polling units disruptions individually; and

4. PO’s petition is fraught with pre-election matters - and the Tribunal itself does not have jurisdiction to hear the matter.

Law is interesting! Let’s see how this place out and watch out for the Defence & potential cross petition.

APC lawyers seem good at fishing for technicalities. I'm particularly intrigued about your point 2, I don't know how Obi's lawyers missed that. I'm really looking forward to how that point will be argued.

We learn everyday

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by coolplanet: 2:41pm On Apr 11, 2023
Eniitankorede:

I have read it in INEC regulations and electoral law. It is not the job of INEC to verify certificates and facts of the eligibility of a candidate. The candidates just need to make statements of facts which confirm their eligibility. It is the job of opposition to challenge such facts in court.

If that is the case, then it needs amendment. Are they now rubber stamp agency? Even a layman can do the task.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by buharitill2023: 2:42pm On Apr 11, 2023
onuman:

Sensible persons do not support an old and obviously mentally handicapped Tinubu who was involved in drug trafficking offences and certificates forgery to win a case to become president of a country, in a court of learned judges, and through a most deceptive, fraudulent and backward election process where the election umpire contravened the Electoral Act.
the same electoral act said obi.diot was not eligible to contest because labour in vain party failed to submit obi.diot names to Inec before may 1st 2022
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by soojar(m): 2:44pm On Apr 11, 2023
Clevite:

You're damn correct!

On another platform, I had discussed this issue of not joining Atiku and the fatal effect it may have on Obi's petition. That's even before Obi filed the petition, at the time he was only focused on challenging Tinubu.

For Obi to rightful get himself declared 1st from 3rd position, he has two hurdles to cross. That is, he has both Tinubu and Atiku to contend with.

He would have to prove that the number of votes secured by Atiku earning him the 2nd place were not validly gotten.

And he can't successfully do that without joining Atiku and PDP as interested parties. They have to come and defend themselves and their votes.

The Tribunal will never nullify a candidate's votes and 2nd position behind him. The court will not decide against the interest of a necessary party that is not brought before it. That would be a gross violation of the principle of fair hearing.

As it is now, Atiku's 2nd position remains unchallenged before the Tribunal. And that may be highly fatal to Obi's case.

This is the main issue here o. I'm really tripped by this technical observation. I must confess I didn't see that too when I was reading through Obi's petition (maybe because I'm not a lawyer), but how Obi's lawyers missed this beats my imagination.

I'm really looking forward to how this very point would be argued because it's pivotal to the whole case.

We learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by 27Pushing30: 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2023
DMerciful:
If there's substitution window, clearly anybody can be substituted by the party because substitution is after a name has been submitted. So if someone can be substituted later and be valid, why will someone earlier be invalid?

Read the electoral act... google is your friend.

It is based on the electoral act that LP did a Bye-primary election for senatorial.

Omo make una read that electoral act o. It is quite clear.

The era of jumping from one party to the other will soon end in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by babajero(m): 2:46pm On Apr 11, 2023
Roboto11:
Responding, the APC asked the court to dismiss the suit on the ground that Mr Obi, the 1st petitioner, lacked requisite “locus standi” to institute the petition because he was not a member of LP at least 30 days to the party’s presidential primary to be validly sponsored by the party.

It said: “The 1st petitioner (Obi) was a member of PDP until May 24, 2022.

“1st petitioner was screened as a presidential aspirant of the PDP in April 2022.

“1st petitioner participated and was cleared to contest the presidential election while being a member of the PDP.

“1st petitioner purportedly resigned his membership of PDP on May 24, 2022 to purportedly join the 2nd petitioner (Labour Party) on May 27, 2022.

“2nd petitioner conducted its presidential primary on May 30, 2022 which purportedly produced 1st petitioner as its candidate, which time contravened Section 77(3) of the Electoral Act for him to contest the primary election as a member of the 2nd petitioner
EMPTY.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by Arapmoi22: 2:47pm On Apr 11, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

That technicality was that the appellant was not an LP aspirant, just as Tinubu is not an LP aspirant

I don't why you guys like running away from facts.

What is the aim of the appellant whose case was turned down by court against OBI?

Answer: He wanted Obi disqualified.

What is the aim of the OBI's Drug case at the Tribunal?

Answer: He wanted Tinubu disqualified.

What is the aim of the Tinubu's Non-membership case against Obi at the Tribunal?

Answer: He wanted Obi disqualified.

They all intended same end.

You can't separate Obi's non-qualification as presidential candidate under LP and Drug case brother.

The More you tried, the more it will look stupid.

If you want to use locus standi rule, you can't use it for one and leave it for the other.

Else, nothing else to say Bro. If you want drugs case to be looked into, the non-qualification must be looked into.

Court is there to protect every interests not just one side only.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by 27Pushing30: 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2023
soojar:

APC lawyers seem good at fishing for technicalities. I'm particularly intrigued about your point 2, I don't know how Obi's lawyers missed that. I'm really looking forward to how that point will be argued.

We learn everyday

They were forming "alliance" and joining each other in doing press conference anyhow like siamese twins,

Have you not noticed that they are no longer following each other upandan? all mallam don go hold their ketle

You see why lawyers excel in politics? because politics and law go hand in hand because the fundamental foundation of democracy is the rule of law.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by soojar(m): 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2023
OKOATA:
I be kid thanks, but druglord won't rule Nigeria.

What he is trying to say is that there is nothing like Interim in the constitution and it doesn't exist in the electoral process. Going by the law the person holding the certificate of return MUST be sworn in pending the conclusion of the case before the tribunal/supreme court.

Except you are saying rule of law should not be followed in which case you can be asking for interim government or coup or recolonization by the western world or war etc. If it is rule of law you want to follow, then let's concentrate on the cases in court, as for May 29th, a president must be sworn in.

We learn everyday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by felibrain: 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2023
Did you say you're a senior lawyer?
"Not later than 30 days before the date fixed for their party's primaries" meaning within 30 days and not a day beyond 30 days before the date fixed for primaries

The 10 days falls within the 30 days allowed
Antipob777:

As a senior lawyer I will go with APC defence. Even b4 the election I noticed obi was not qualified to contest but the parties PDP and APC allowed him contest as to use it against him at the tribunal should such arise.

Those commenting and saying the APC defence is watery should prove to us that it is watery.

According to the electoral Act 2022, obi was never qualified to contest in the first place.

Obi came 3rd in the election and as such ought to have joined PDP and Atiku in his petition.

To me APC has a good defense here but it's left the tribunal to decide.

I urge obi supporters to comment with facts and not sentiments as usual.

APC defense it a TECHNICAL KNOCKOUT for Obi

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by DMerciful(m): 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2023
I just dey laugh you.
27Pushing30:

Read the electoral act... google is your friend.

It is based on the electoral act that LP did a Bye-primary election for senatorial.

Omo make una read that electoral act o. It is quite clear.

The era of jumping from one party to the other will soon end in Nigeria.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by buharitill2023: 3:03pm On Apr 11, 2023
mauchiz:
I don't understand Apc,
I think they are afraid of something,if not why are they saying this?
what we are saying is that obi.diot is partyless,
Obi.diot is not a card carrying member of labour in vain party,
So obi.diot don't have right to be a petitioner,
Is very simple
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by OKOATA(m): 3:04pm On Apr 11, 2023
soojar:

What he is trying to say is that there is nothing like Interim in the constitution and it doesn't exist in the electoral process. Going by the law the person holding the certificate of return MUST be sworn in pending the conclusion of the case before the tribunal/supreme court.

Except you are saying rule of law should not be followed in which case you can be asking for interim government or coup or recolonization by the western world or war etc. If it is rule of law you want to follow, then let's concentrate on the cases in court, as for May 29th, a president must be sworn in.

We learn everyday.
So are you saying even though our country is at stake at the global stage, FG/APC will swear in a drug lord because there's no Interim in our constitution but the law states that a drug lord can be disqualified in the constitution? So are you saying installing a drug lord, certificate forgery is greater than having an Interim? They might not call it an interim per say but it will be a temporal govt in the form of an Interim.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by SledgeHammerer: 3:07pm On Apr 11, 2023
CondenseMilk:

with a tenable reason oga

Ofcourse
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by Moshphil: 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2023
CondenseMilk:
APC said that PO should go to court. Now that PO is in court you want the judge to dismiss the case?

Never!

Bros your stupidity na pro max, cos I don't understand
they should just sit down abi. Majority of you are just too dumb to understand judicial process, cos of your principal blind quest for power.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by shonepa(m): 3:18pm On Apr 11, 2023
Oga, are u the judge nii? Make the judge review all claims each party drop.

E get some charges we no dey reach court, if e no pass some criteria, the court will dismiss it.

So every one dey their rights as of now.

Its left for the court to dismiss is or not. No plenty talk for these matta, unless una just won make a scence.

CondenseMilk:

Never!
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by eldoradoxx: 3:20pm On Apr 11, 2023
Clevite:
The battle begins. Bola Tinubu and APC have entered the ring. They entered on technical ground. An attempt at technical knock-out, at first round!
Very poor technical ground. Political
Party membership register are submitted to INEC before primary to enable INEC know the number of political party members entitled to vote in the primary. Nothing stops a political party from admitting new members even a day to the primary, it is the party that determines who is qualified to contest election in their party and can grant waiver to anybody, just as they granted waivers to Obi to run.

Obi also does not need to join Atiku Abubakar. Electoral Act has already determined who should be made a Respondent. It is the winner and INEC that must be Respondent not co-looser like Atiku.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by Everlastingson: 3:22pm On Apr 11, 2023
PassingShot:

At the minimum, one would expect some of you to be reasonable and discerning.

A primary school kid should know that it is impossible to conclude an election petition case in three months let alone in a month and half.

Tinubu is our president for the next 4 years at the minimum.

Stop lying. An election petition
can and should be concluded within 3 weeks. Ask Kenya you lying hypocrite
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by Cryofigbos: 3:23pm On Apr 11, 2023
CondenseMilk:

But you are to present facts on ground for dismissal or objection.

Did you read the statement by APC at all?

Those are fact.......by d time APC is done twisting and engaging u guys in counter case of obi not being eligible to contest tinubu would have finished his first term and in second term and obi will still lose😂😂😂
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by PassingShot(m): 3:25pm On Apr 11, 2023
Everlastingson:

Stop lying. An election petition
can and should be concluded within 3 weeks. Ask Kenya you lying hypocrite
Their laws aren't same as ours.

Make una dey use una free brain naa

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by shonepa(m): 3:26pm On Apr 11, 2023
Na wha for u o, at this point u still dey expect a particular group of clowns to be reasonable? E don go; this group are beyond redemption.

Na to dey ignore them sure pass. Dem no get level.

PassingShot:

At the minimum, one would expect some of you to be reasonable and discerning.

A primary school kid should know that it is impossible to conclude an election petition case in three months let alone in a month and half.

Tinubu is our president for the next 4 years at the minimum.
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by 27Pushing30: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2023
DMerciful:
I just dey laugh you.

and vice versa
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by gawu1: 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2023
jchioma:
Apc is trying to rely on technicalities in the face of raw facts and evidence of massive rigging and irregularities? Kolewerk!
Obi put forward allegations of massive rigging and irregularities.
APC put forward that Obi was not legally a member of LP to even contest in the election.
Therefore, the onus is on each one of the parties to prove their allegations. That's, Obi who is alleging massive rigging and irregularities must prove to the tribunal justice beyond reasonable doubt how he arrived at that. Same as APC, they must also prove beyond reasonable doubt that Obi was not rightly a contestant.
Therefore, let Obi go present his "his raw facts and evidence of massive rigging and irregularities" to the tribunal
Re: Tinubu: APC Asks Election Tribunal To Dismiss Obi, Lp’s Petition, Gives Reasons by shonepa(m): 3:36pm On Apr 11, 2023
Only if u have a court order that says he was convicted, then we take u seriously. May be na English una no understand.

That mumu wey think say em sabi English still go dey write United States, slavery + stupidity still dey that one body. The same mistake wey dem do for independence wey spoil dis country till today, dem still won repeat am 2023.

Oyinbo man no fit cum dey tell me say na fish dey inside sardine. Make dem dey their day.

seanfer:

Watery to you. Please can you fault any of the points raised in the response?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

NCAN Buys Nomination Form For president Muhammad Buhari / Dr Saraki On A Visit To Governor Okorocha (Photos) / Yusuf Buhari Graduates With A Masters Degree From UK University (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.