Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,984 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car (10236 Views)

How Do I Avoid Buying Naija Used Stolen Vehicle?? / Buying Naija Used Car, Should I Do Engine Flush Or Not? / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by oludolars(m): 10:37am On Sep 21, 2011
Buying things is just about Using Common Sense and bargaining Power.Of what sense is buying a car that was bought as a Tokunbo car,used on the bad roads in Nigeria and even has rough front number plate showing it has be repaired after an accident while in use in Nigeria and resold after years of use at tf 85percent of the cost of a direct Tokunbo of such car.

Why not save the 15percent remaining to get a direct tokunbo that will give you a rest of mind.It is only reasonable when you can buy such a car at 60percent and below of the cost of a direct Tokunbo car.

If someone can advertise a very clean direct Tokunbo that is Lagos Cleared for 920k on this same website and somone wants to sell the same car that has suffered so much on our terrible nigerian roads and the engine and wirring has been tampered with by our socalled rewire and quack mechanics for 770k.Immagine the car no even get sound system!

Nairalanders lets use common sense while doing things.Stop being Mugus!

True Talk!
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by fm7070: 10:47am On Sep 21, 2011
Thanks a million for this information. It really really make a lot of sense to those who cares to listen.
God bless you a billion times.

My candid advice, especially to first time car users. get a good tokunbo car, it will save you a lot of stress. Although you have to learn about your car, but not in the hard way
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by egolaw75: 10:54am On Sep 21, 2011
my broda this is true talk, when someone will post honda accord 04 toks for 1.6m and another person will post nigerian used honda accord 04 for 1.25m,
to me it does not make sense at all. cry cry cry cry
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by herdayniyi(m): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2011
nice won grin
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by femmy2010(m): 11:44am On Sep 21, 2011
I often wonder the funny vehicle buying pattern.
Accepted that certain makes have high second hand value in Nigeria but I do rather put together N500k to buy a tokunbo Audi80 than buy a 9ja killed one for N400k.
Many of our buyers final buy decision are very often aided by their mechanics who tell them to go for it(9ja used cos it would be a new "office" opened for them).
Those mechanics goes with them to view the buy option option and the first thing they do even b4 hearing the engine sound is to call the seller aside and tell him "put N50k on top the money for me or I no go let oga buy am".
Want an elongated peace of mind then by minimum of a good sound tokunbo.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by femmy2010(m): 11:55am On Sep 21, 2011
In-addition,
Seems everybody want to drive something big despite the fact they had very limited budget.
Imagine someone with a whooping N1.3m - N1.4m using it to buy a more than 2years used in 9ja 2002 Nissan pathfinder when his budget could have gotten him a clean tokunbo 2001 Nissan xterra(at least they have similar performance level)?
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by ziccoit: 1:05pm On Sep 21, 2011
Good thread. Financial discipline is the key. Save money and get the best than to rush into buying a rickety car that will eventually continuously slowly and painfully drain your pocket dry.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by yinkobert(m): 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2011
Not all nigerian used cars are bad ,people sell their properties for diffirent reason. It is all Tokunboh cars are crisis free. A conleague of mine went to Togo to buy Tokunboh 2003 Toyota camry, The engine got spoiled before it got to Nigeria,he bought another engine for 370,000 and some months after the gear got spoiled and he had to replace it. The another good example is another colleague of mine that bought Free lander in cotonu , since the car was brought to Nigeria he had never succesful driven for a day wthout going to mechanic that it got to a stage that he had to abandone it. Am a gud example here I bought a nigerian used EOD 2004Ex full option from Abbey motor here on nairaland, for two years now the only thing I have ever changed from that car is linkages bought for# 4,000 and this is the car I drive till today. The milealage is now 111km.So u may nt be right compeletely. On my own opinion used car is used car it only depends on the person that uses that car before.

2 Likes

Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by inegbenois: 3:17am On Sep 22, 2011
tank 2 u all,i mean all of una dey try
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by james1(m): 5:33am On Sep 22, 2011
Hello house.
Oludolars.nice one there.please refrain from referring to all 9ja's mechanic and rewire as quark's;that is so wrong,you might have had a terrible time with some and that is because you either trusted too quickly or you failed to take note of glaring wrong stuff.there
are load's of fine mechanic's and rewire's,I have never had a bad time
with any cos I don't allow it to happen in the first place. Cheers.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Oking1(m): 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2011
yinkobert:

Not all nigerian used cars are bad ,people sell their properties for diffirent reason, So u may nt be right compeletely. On my own opinion used car is used car it only depends on the person that uses that car before.

I agree. My 2000 Honda Civic i bought nigerian used for 4 yrs now and am still enjoying it.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by sasakosa: 2:36pm On Sep 22, 2011
thanks for the useful tips bro.it will go a long way
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by sucnif(m): 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2011
Good tok Oludolars. for example i bought a brand new Deawoo Cielo in 1999, and i sold the car 65k this year. my mechanic want the car to be sold for 120k but i disagree with him bicos the value of the car has depreciate.

1 Like

Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Fokativ: 2:53pm On Sep 22, 2011
Good point but most  Tokunbo cars in Nigeria are written-off/Salvaged cars from America and Canada. Before buying any tokunbo car, get the VIN and use that to chek the vehicles history. A lot of honest guys are at NL autos section who are more than willing to do this for anyone for free.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Okijajuju1(m): 3:03pm On Sep 22, 2011
The point is we do not know how to devalue properties,

I came close to buying a peugeot 407 here in Nigeria, The owner bought the car in Paris in 2008, has driven it in Paris and in Nigeria, The car is maintained by Mingi Motors (Peugeot Dealership) and has a good service history. The milage was about 28,000Km and drove o.k. The asking price was 2.2million.

I offered 1.6 for the car and he refused. So I fugured rather than buy a 2008 car for 2.2 million, why not thus another 800,000'k and go for a brand new car and save me the trouble for the next 3 - 4yrs.

A vehicle depreciates by 25% after it drives out of the dealership.

Rather than spend a million on a Nigerian used car, I'll buy a Hyundai i10 for 1.6 million (Brand new)
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by brainpulse: 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2011
I think this is part of the information we need when buying tokunba cars.

But pls how do you know a very good one, that has its engine and suspension system working good?
How strong is 2004 nissan xterra shock absorber?

Thanks guys
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Fokativ: 4:31pm On Sep 22, 2011
brainpulse:

I think this is part of the information we need when buying tokunba cars.

But pls how do you know a very good one, that has its engine and suspension system working good?
How strong is 2004 nissan xterra shock absorber?

Thanks guys

I drive a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum, the shocks are amazingly solid. I guess 2004 Nissan Xterra will equally be as strong.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Dereformer(m): 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2011
nice thread. but my question is what are the key areas to look at when buying whether a nigerian used or direct tokunbo cars? i mean what specific parts of the vehicle should be in perfec condition before buying
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Osama10(m): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2011
Nice one, but this topic done spoil business for some dealers oh. grin lipsrsealed
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Osama10(m): 5:37pm On Sep 22, 2011
Dereformer:

nice thread. but my question is what are the key areas to look at when buying whether a Nigerian used or direct tokunbo cars? i mean what specific parts of the vehicle should be in perfect condition before buying

First of all get the Vin of the car to see the history.

Secondly a thorough physical examination of the car needs to be carried out.

More points from others.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Dereformer(m): 5:56pm On Sep 22, 2011
@ Osama 10

Thanks a lot but how does the vin show a car history?
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Osama10(m): 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2011
Dereformer:

@ Osama 10

Thanks a lot but how does the Vin show a car history?

If you have the Vin of any car we have guys in here that can help you with the report so you see how it looks.

Just take a look at this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-647760.832.html.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by aieromon(m): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2011
I don't see any correlation here.I'll prefer to buy a company-maintained car than buy a tokunbo car.
I rest my case.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by spawnx: 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2011
I don't quite agree angry. There is nothing with buying registered car as long as you have a good knowledge of car maintenance. I bought a 1996 model bullet(honda accord) in 2007 and it still rocks with erry thing working.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by WebSurfer(m): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by MMM2(m): 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2011
good
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by agenta999(f): 6:43pm On Sep 22, 2011
sometimes it depends on luck, a friend of mine bought a car here in europe and nearly went to law court for his refund, because, the car is not good.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by phuckNL: 7:43pm On Sep 22, 2011
Osama10:

If you have the Vin of any car we have guys in here that can help you with the report so you see how it looks.

Just take a look at this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-647760.832.html.

While carfax or autochecks tell you about the cars history, it is no guarantee.
The best guarantee is still physical inspection and test driving the car yourself.
A lot of cars that come up as clean on carfax and autocheck don't necessarily indicate they have a "pure" life. Some accidents dont get reported!!
Also people should stop getting scared when a car is reported as salvage title. It doesn't mean the car is scrap. If it is scrap, then it would be "certificate of destruction"
Salvage simply means the cost of repairing it (to manufacturer standards) exceeds the current value.
For this reason, a car with a fender bender might also be tagged salvage. Insurance companies don't want to waste money buying new parts so tthey'll value it salvage.
Naija dealers can simply get the fender from a salvage yard and have the car fixed. It'll drive as good as any other clean title vehicle!!
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Osama10(m): 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2011
phuck_NL:

While carfax or autochecks tell you about the cars history, it is no guarantee.
[b]The best guarantee is still physical inspection and test driving the car yourself.[/b]A lot of cars that come up as clean on carfax and autocheck don't necessarily indicate they have a "pure" life. Some accidents dont get reported!!
Also people should stop getting scared when a car is reported as salvage title. It doesn't mean the car is scrap. If it is scrap, then it would be "certificate of destruction"
Salvage simply means the cost of repairing it (to manufacturer standards) exceeds the current value.
For this reason, a car with a fender bender might also be tagged salvage. Insurance companies don't want to waste money buying new parts so tthey'll value it salvage.
Naija dealers can simply get the fender from a salvage yard and have the car fixed. It'll drive as good as any other clean title vehicle!!

If you read my earlier post I mentioned that too.

Osama10:

First of all get the Vin of the car to see the history.

Secondly a thorough physical examination of the car needs to be carried out.
More points from others.

cool cool cool
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by hbrednic: 8:38pm On Sep 22, 2011
all man on his own.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by 4Runner: 10:37pm On Sep 22, 2011
It depends on maintenance. I used my '99 Camry for 5yrs and sold it for N750,000.

The buyer is rocking it without complain.
Re: A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car by Ibusho: 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2011
House pls i want to buy vento 99 model car. Pls advice me on it

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Millionth Skoda Octavia Produced. / 2019 Skoda Fabia Revealed (photo And Details) / What Was The Longest Distance You Have Driven With A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.