Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,457 members, 7,846,909 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:08 AM

Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily (12828 Views)

Miyetti Allah To Southern Governors: We Won’t Recognise Your Anti-Grazing Policy / Army Kills Terwase "Gana" Akwaza Hours After Being Granted Amnesty By Benue Govt / Senators Order Dan Ali Monsur To Withdraw Statement On Anti-grazing Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Kukutenla: 1:22pm On Apr 12, 2023
Blue3k:

I've been to the police station. The police can clearly see a herdsman a bovine following behind them. They're not letting them go because there's no evidence because there's no grounds. They're also not giving them police bail or there'd be reports on multiple herdsmen skipping bail with warrant out for their arrest. If your story is to be believed there's a paper trail to follow. The fact Ortom hasn't made these claims shows that likely isn't the case.

Its been confirmed by the state that the police are doing their jobs. The courts prosecuted the herdsmen. I'm sure vigilante are doing the part as well. If you want to call Ortom a liar go ahead.

In that case, you were wrong to claim that gov Ortom is being soft on crime.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Blue3k(m): 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2023
Kukutenla:

In that case, you were wrong to claim that gov Ortom is being soft on crime.

No, he is soft on crime. He's suspending enforcement temporarily instead of increasing enforcement for flimsy reasons. When more people are murdered that requires tougher law enforcement on criminals to send a message. You're just ignorant on the matter thats why you didny know the basic facts about convictions. Lol it's crazy how you can argue about a subject you know know nothing about.

He said the suspension was to show a good fate to all those who claimed to have come into the state without knowing there is Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranches Establishment Law of 2017 that is solely anti-grazing.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Kukutenla: 2:05pm On Apr 12, 2023
Blue3k:

No, he is soft on crime. He's suspending enforcement temporarily instead of increasing enforcement for flimsy reasons. When more people are murdered that requires tougher law enforcement on criminals to send a message. You're just ignorant on the matter thats why you didny know the basic facts about convictions. Lol it's crazy how you can argue about a subject you know know nothing about.

People were still killed while the law was in effect and it's on record the presidency was against him based on that law.
The reason he also gave is based on intelligence that some people are claiming to being unfairly treated by the law wish to leave the state but can't due to the law as well.
The suspension is for two weeks.
The facts about conviction does not negate the fact that your claim that Ortom failed in regards to the herdsmen crisis is a lie by your own submission.
You can't claim 400 herdsmen have been arrested based on the law and still claim Ortom failed.
You sound confused

1 Like

Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Blue3k(m): 2:18pm On Apr 12, 2023
Kukutenla:

People were still killed while the law was in effect and it's on record the presidency was against him based on that law.
The reason he also gave is based on intelligence that some people are claiming to being unfairly treated by the law wish to leave the state but can't due to the law as well.
The suspension is for two weeks.
The facts about conviction does not negate the fact that your claim that Ortom failed in regards to the herdsmen crisis is a lie by your own submission.
You can't claim 400 herdsmen have been arrested based on the law and still claim Ortom failed.
You sound confused

Did the police stop the herdsmen from leaving for the past 6 years? They're no longer ignorant of the law they unfairly treated by it. The law wasn't enforced strictly hence 6 years after you see you see people breaking it opting to pay the fine to do business. I'm sure you didn't bother reading article that was cited did you. The presidency's disagreements didn't stop the law from being enforced. The convictions don't change my opinion because it's not enough.

Lol if, you don't learn now. You'll keep repeating this pattern. In another six years give suspend the law. Do another half hearted enforcement complain then start the cycle over again.

“The law has also witnessed the arrest, arraignment and conviction of five cattle rustlers. The convicted rustlers were of Fulani extraction, who confessed to the crime in open court. Besides, the law has ensured the arrest and arraignment of people irrespective of their ethnic groups or religion.

Most of the convicts were able to pay fines and were released while many who could not were sent to jail ranging from six months to two years.”
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by UNDFTD: 3:26pm On Apr 12, 2023
adenigga:

Source : https://punchng.com/Benue-govt-suspends-enforcement-of-anti-grazing-law-temporarily

They have finally worn down Mr. Ortom with incessant murders of his kin folks, hence the suspension of Anti-grazing law enforcement albeit temporarily. What a country. The sad truth is that it would NOT stop the killing of his people by these Fulani terrorists suspension or NOT! These are bloodthirsty vampires whose stock in trade is to destroy. They lack the capacity to build anything.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Kukutenla: 3:37pm On Apr 12, 2023
Blue3k:

Did the police stop the herdsmen from leaving for the past 6 years? They're no longer ignorant of the law they unfairly treated by it. The law wasn't enforced strictly hence 6 years after you see you see people breaking it opting to pay the fine to do business. I'm sure you didn't bother reading article that was cited did you. The presidency's disagreements didn't stop the law from being enforced. The convictions don't change my opinion because it's not enough.

Lol if, you don't learn now. You'll keep repeating this pattern. In another six years give suspend the law. Do another half hearted enforcement complain then start the cycle over again.

Six years?
The article you quoted was in 2020 which was almost three years after the law was enacted.
The presidency's disagreement further emboldened the herdsmen as well be expected when you have backing from the highest levels of power.
In 2022, herdsmen attack in benue was an almost monthly affair.
And to absolve the chief security officer of the country, who controls all the security apparatus of blame and instead blame the gov who does not control any security apparatus but made cogent effort to to curb them is hypocrisy at least.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Blue3k(m): 4:19pm On Apr 12, 2023
Kukutenla:

Six years?
The article you quoted was in 2020 which was almost three years after the law was enacted.
The presidency's disagreement further emboldened the herdsmen as well be expected when you have backing from the highest levels of power.
In 2022, herdsmen attack in benue was an almost monthly affair.
And to absolve the chief security officer of the country, who controls all the security apparatus of blame and instead blame the gov who does not control any security apparatus but made cogent effort to to curb them is hypocrisy at least.

The law was passed in 2017. Do basic math that's six years. The police did their jobs arresting the criminals. You're not always going to have agreement between states and federal government. His disagreements is no consequence if they state and police stand firm. Nobody absolved the president for failing at his job.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by MasterTeeUSA: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2023
One of the worst Governors. You pass a LAW knowing that Benue is surrounded by Nasarawa, Kogi and Taraba. You cannot go with such anti-grazing laws without the support of the neighboring governors. Kogi is APC, Nasarawa is APC, Taraba is PDP but are they on board...Enugu, Ebonyi and Cross River...are they on board.

I was in Oyo state months ago, and folks with cattle were still open grazing along Lagos Ibadan Expressway. [/b]Now you want to suspend the law after killing thousands of your people. This is one of his issues with Atiku and vice versa. Still, he is owing money and all...instead of building pens and promoting ranching where the state can make money and work with the herders...he started a war he cannot finish. History will not be kind to Gov. Ortom.

[b]He know Rev Father Alia will reverse this nonsense and bring peace
...he is trying to take some credit. I just cant stand him at all. I hate men that preach hate, but not surprisingly, he is in PO's camp. He might need to start going church to church. His immunity is about to be over.

adenigga:

Source : https://punchng.com/Benue-govt-suspends-enforcement-of-anti-grazing-law-temporarily
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by JOemmy(m): 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2023
Fulaniherdsmen have killed thausands of benue people since buhari came to power we are yet to hear or see one single fulaniherdsman arrested and prosecuted.
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Kukutenla: 5:04pm On Apr 12, 2023
Blue3k:

The law was passed in 2017. Do basic math that's six years. The police did their jobs arresting the criminals. You're not always going to have agreement between states and federal government. His disagreements is no consequence if they state and police stand firm. Nobody absolved the president for failing at his job.
You're the one who is failing basic maths. The law was passed in 2017 while the article you posted is 2020.
The police did not arrest the criminals. Rather, it was the vigilante service that did most of the arrests. I believe what constitutes a crime should not be a matter for disagreement especially where safety and security of lives and properties is involved. Those should be above politics.
Laying the blame squarely at the doorstep of Ortom is absolving the man who is higher than him in the political ladder but gave tacit endorsement to law breakers cause of tribal identity
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Blue3k(m): 5:35pm On Apr 12, 2023
Kukutenla:

You're the one who is failing basic maths. The law was passed in 2017 while the article you posted is 2020.
The police did not arrest the criminals. Rather, it was the vigilante service that did most of the arrests. I believe what constitutes a crime should not be a matter for disagreement especially where safety and security of lives and properties is involved. Those should be above politics.
Laying the blame squarely at the doorstep of Ortom is absolving the man who is higher than him in the political ladder but gave tacit endorsement to law breakers cause of tribal identity

You're reading comprehension also needs work. I didn't say the article was six years old. I asked did the police stop herdsmen from leaving the state for the past 6 years? Lol why do you continue to lie saying police didn't arrest criminals. You tried saying nobody was convicted in court till you were exposed. Can't you Google before telling lies? You have no numbers on how many arrest the police or vigilantes made. You're just speculating.

You're free to your opinions not facts. I didn't absolve Buhari or says Ortom is solely responsible. If you want to attack a strawman that's fine. Lol there's a reason NBS stopped publishing crime stats.

Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Kukutenla: 7:34pm On Apr 12, 2023
Blue3k:

You're reading comprehension also needs work. I didn't say the article was six years old. I asked did the police stop herdsmen from leaving the state for the past 6 years? Lol why do you continue to lie saying police didn't arrest criminals. You tried saying nobody was convicted in court till you were exposed. Can't you Google before telling lies? You have no numbers on how many arrest the police or vigilantes made. You're just speculating.

You're free to your opinions not facts. I didn't absolve Buhari or says Ortom is solely responsible. If you want to attack a strawman that's fine. Lol there's a reason NBS stopped publishing crime stats.
Seems you have a problem with understanding. I said the vigilante did MOST of the arrests but you failed to see that part.
You brought 2 screenshots with a total of 40 out of 400. I guess the rest were arrested by ghosts.

You're not always going to have agreement between states and federal government.

What does this mean if not absolving the FG
You're quick to label Ortom a failure but excuse the FG's attitude as disagreement.
That's blatant hypocrisy
Re: Benue Govt Suspends Enforcement Of Anti-grazing Law Temporarily by Blue3k(m): 9:17pm On Apr 12, 2023
Kukutenla:

Seems you have a problem with understanding. I said the vigilante did MOST of the arrests but you failed to see that part.
You brought 2 screenshots with a total of 40 out of 400. I guess the rest were arrested by ghosts.

What does this mean if not absolving the FG
You're quick to label Ortom a failure but excuse the FG's attitude as disagreement.
That's blatant hypocrisy

You seem to have selective reading comprehension. The newspaper doesn't carry reports of every arrest made so saying its only 40 is dumb. I also said you don't have data on who did the arrest to make claims who did more. You're simply speculating and can't back up with you're saying with any source. That's why you haven't tried.

It seems you don't understand basic words like hypocrisy just like you struggled with math and reading earlier. Saying it's OK to disagree about policy doesn't mean I absolved them from the rampant criminality. The can hold whatever opinion on the policy the want as long they don't inhibit it. They did not inhibit the policy as you can see with the arrest. I'm not concerned with opinions but actions.

Hypocrisy would be me saying ortom a failure for the soft on crime policies but saying the FG soft on crime policies are OK. I did not say Buhari did well on crime or that his policies are right. If I did, that's hypocrisy or, more accurately, a double standard.

Hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Double Standard: a rule or principle which is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sss Invaded Bbc And Cnn Offices In Lagos? / An Open Letter To The .Inspector General Of Police / Wow This Video Of Onitsha Anambra State Will Surprise You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.