Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? (1359 Views)

Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle / Canada Vs Uk: Which Country Is Better For Master. / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by whyteteeth: 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2023
Hello nairalanders.

I need your opinion. I applied to schools in the UK and France and I was lucky to get offers in Paris and Lille (France). I also got several admissions in the UK mainly in London, Manchester, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The schools in France are quite cost effective as compared to the UK, despite having a partial scholarship. However, I am concerned about living expenses in France most especially in Paris. And I also intend to stay back after my schooling. I want to know which country is better in terms of livability, jobs, accommodation etc.
Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by babakb: 7:49pm On Apr 13, 2023
whyteteeth:
Hello nairalanders.

I need your opinion. I applied to schools in the UK and France and I was lucky to get offers in Paris and Lille (France). I also got several admissions in the UK mainly in London, Manchester, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The schools in France are quite cost effective as compared to the UK, despite having a partial scholarship. However, I am concerned about living expenses in France most especially in Paris. And I also intend to stay back after my schooling. I want to know which country is better in terms of livability, jobs, accommodation etc.

If you're ready to learn french to advance level then France is better because it's in the Shengen, but if you know you won't take the french language serious then Jejely go to the UK grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by whyteteeth: 8:21pm On Apr 13, 2023
babakb:

If you're ready to learn french to advance level then France is better because it's in the Shegen, but if you know you won't take the french language serious then Jejely go to the UK grin grin grin

I can learn.
Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by Mille: 8:24pm On Apr 13, 2023
whyteteeth:
Hello nairalanders.

I can't say much about the UK. But I believe the difference in the tuition for for France can take care of your living expenses for one year.

But if I have the money, I'll choose the UK unless you speak French to a certain proficient level. Easier to get a student job, easier to navigate day to day activities, easier to make friends and more especially, no language barrier. The French are very snobbish and will make no effort to speak English to you everywhere apart from your University. I spent a semester there and despite speaking French up to level A2, I had difficulties navigating daily activities. Thank God for my Cameroonian classmate, if not ehn.

While it's much easier to stay back in France due to not requiring sponsorship, you're more likely to end up underemployed and stuck in menial jobs due to the language barrier. Almost every job requires French proficiency in France and you'll be competing against North and Francophone Africans who make up the bulk of immigrants in France and who speaks fluent French.

9 Likes

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by whyteteeth: 3:22pm On Apr 23, 2023
Mille:

I can't say much about the UK. But I believe the difference in the tuition for for France can take care of your living expenses for one year.

But if I have the money, I'll choose the UK unless you speak French to a certain proficient level. Easier to get a student job, easier to navigate day to day activities, easier to make friends and more especially, no language barrier. The French are very snobbish and will make no effort to speak English to you everywhere apart from your University. I spent a semester there and despite speaking French up to level A2, I had difficulties navigating daily activities. Thank God for my Cameroonian classmate, if not ehn.

While it's much easier to stay back in France due to not requiring sponsorship, you're more likely to end up underemployed and stuck in menial jobs due to the language barrier. Almost every job requires French proficiency in France and you'll be competing against North and Francophone Africans who make up the bulk of immigrants in France and who speaks fluent French.

thank you so much. I really appreciate.
Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by Bmuhd4smile: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2023
whyteteeth:
Hello nairalanders.

If you can afford UK tuition fee .... Goto the UK ....it's hard to get student job in France. Another good option currently is Denmark ( Currently 3 yrs post study visa). France is not good for Nigerians because they don't speak English and they don't want to. Unlike Scandinavians like Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Iceland.

3 Likes

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by whyteteeth: 10:52pm On Apr 25, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:

If you can afford UK tuition fee .... Goto the UK ....it's hard to get student job in France. Another good option currently is Denmark ( Currently 3 yrs post study visa). France is not good for Nigerians because they don't speak English and they don't want to. Unlike Scandinavians like Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Iceland.
thanks a lot on this. i have already rejected the two offers i got in France. I am heading to England.
Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 25, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:

Good day sir

Please does Denmark give student visas easily?

1 Like

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by pansophist(m): 11:59pm On Apr 25, 2023
If you can learn French, then France is better. It's in the EU, in Schengen, and staying back is easier after studies, and it's cost effective too.

About student jobs, there are some you can do that doesn't require language proficiency like delivery services, but if I were you, I'll take it as a challenge and learn French. It will open a whole new world of opportunities for you.

And the UK residence permit only allows you to stay in the UK, but France is in the Schengen, and the whole Europe is for you to tour and enjoy. That's unbeatable

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by Bmuhd4smile: 8:46am On Apr 26, 2023
CuriousStudent:

Good day sir

Please does Denmark give student visas easily?

Yes sir, they give provided you meet there requirements.
Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by Bmuhd4smile: 8:55am On Apr 26, 2023
whyteteeth:
thanks a lot on this. i have already rejected the two offers i got in France. I am heading to England.

In my little experience, you made the better choice. France is shenghen but trust me you will hardly have time and money to travel and tour that shenghen if you study in France. Because making money will be hard unless you can speak french. Which is not easy

1 Like

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:11am On Apr 26, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:

1 Like

Re: As An International Student, Between France And The UK, Which Is Preferable? by momysgirly(f): 6:56pm On Apr 29, 2023
Bmuhd4smile:

Yes sir, they give provided you meet there requirements.

What’s their requirements please

(1) (Reply)

Born In UK and never Aplied For Citizenship, but Want To Visit UK Next Month / Visa Free Help To Kosovo / Justwise And Others I Need Advice On This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.