Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,232 members, 7,829,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle (3729 Views)

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Canada Vs Uk: Which Country Is Better For Master. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Jucci80(m): 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2022
Please folks, i am kind of confused, i need answers please. I am at the point of decision between canada and Uk, which is the best place to settle and start a new life?
Please state your advantages and disadvantages.
Thank you
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Golan007: 4:32pm On Apr 21, 2022
What's your profession?
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
it all depend on who you are, what kind of lifestyle you wanna live, your state of mind, your immigration status etc

what works for Jide may not work for Taiwo.

1 Like

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by ednut1(m): 4:48pm On Apr 21, 2022
Jucci80:
Please folks, i am kind of confused, i need answers please. I am at the point of decision between canada and Uk, which is the best place to settle and start a new life?
Please state your advantages and disadvantages.
Thank you
canada express entry pr has been on hold since last year January only few slots for provincial nomination for now. So student visa which has 80% rejection rate for Nigerians. Uk unless you are a doctor, nurse,IT person or auditor and some other few occupations you cant get work visa so its student visa. They are accepting majority of those who apply. After graduation you have to hustle for job and stay. Which is 50 50. So in this race its not by what you want , its wetin dey available or feasible

7 Likes

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by WoundedLamb: 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2022
Where in the UK? You're probably referring to England or Ireland. I'll give my personal opinion.

UK Pros:
1) I prefer the UK weather
2) I get more value for my money in the UK malls
3) The UK has more architectural beauty
4) There are more Nigerians in the UK
5) You get more vacation time in the UK
6) The UK is more central and nearer to other countries including Nigeria
7) The currency is higher in the UK
8 ) You don't have to worry about drastic changes in policies and laws when you move from one city to another (except you're moving countries)
9) The English language is enough to take you everywhere in England and Ireland
11) Arguably, the UK has more jobs
12) The UK has a richer culture/history
13) There's a better sense of community in the UK
14) The UK has one standard timezone, so you don't have to worry about time difference while traveling across the country.
15) I'd go to the UK if I'm into administration/management/business.

UK Cons:
1) The UK is tiny compared to Canada. This includes the roads, the houses, etc. Everything just looks small to you the moment you move from Canada to the UK.
2) The UK is more traditional/formal. Things like the school you finished from, the social class of your parents, etc. matter more in the UK. In fact, I find the classism really disturbing.
3) There's more racism and homophobia in the UK. These guys don't fail to let you know you don't belong.
4) The people (especially in London) don't go out of thier to be friendly like you would expect in Canada (not like they're mean though)
5) The landscape here is generally boring
6) There's higher crime rate here

Canada Pros:
1) Salaries are higher in Canada
2) Canada has more natural beauty
3) Transition to citizenship is easier in Canada
4) Canada gives you access to the US economy (you can easily work for US firms as a Canadian PR and you can drive across the border to buy things at cheaper rate if you have your visa)
5) Nature! As the second largest country in the world, Canada has vast open space (the whole of the UK is not up to the size of Ontario, a province in Canada). Outdoor activities and nature appreciation are an integral part of the Canadian lifestyle.
6) People generally more friendly, welcoming and polite in Canada. Immigrants easily feel at home in the country.
7) Canada is less traditional and more progressive.
8 ) It is bilingual. The French culture is strong in Canada. You might end up learning French depending on where you live. Otherwise, you'd surely explore the rich culture.
9) Racism and homophobia are very much lower in Canada
10) Tax is a bit lower in Canada
11) Quality of life is higher in Canada
12) The healthcare system is better structured in Canada (don't be fooled, it comes at a cost).
13) Canada is a hybrid country. You get the typical American lifestyle in places like Toronto (tall class buildings, condos, long tarred roads, etc) and the typical European lifestyle in places like Québec City (Chateaux, gothic architecture, European culinary styles, etc.)
14) Workplace experience is better in Canada (far less beaucratic)
15) Crime rate is less in Canada
16) I'd go to Canada if I'm into Tech/Data science.

Canada Cons:
1) Canada is literally frozen in winter
2) Canada is arguably more expensive
3) The cities are more futuristic and not as beautiful as the classical ones in the UK
4) If not for immigration, Canada, just like the US, generally doesn't really have a very rich culture
5) Population is very low and the country is more laid back (less crime, less fun)
6) If you move from a big city like Lagos, you'd likely get bored in many Canadian cities
7) Due to the size, the country spans across multiple timezones and could be many hours behind Nigeria.

Summary:
It's really about your lifestyle and what works for you. In terms of day to day living, the two countries have a lot in common and they're really great. Canadians are basically English and French people in North America. The cities are named after European cities. Both countries have the same Queen. Both countries are extremely diverse, though Toronto is touted to be the most diverse city in the world. Personally, I find Canada a better place to live and the UK a better place for vacation. You generally have less to worry about in Canada but that means you also have more interesting things to do in the UK.

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Jucci80(m): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2022
WoundedLamb:
Where in the UK? You're probably referring to England or Ireland. I'll give my personal opinion.

UK Pros:
8 ) You don't have to worry about drastic changes in policies and laws when you move from one city to another (except you're moving countries)
14) The UK has one standard timezone, so you don't have to worry about time difference while traveling across the country.

UK Cons:
1) The UK is tiny compared to Canada. This includes the roads, the houses, etc. Everything just looks small to you the moment you move from Canada to the UK.
2) The UK is more traditional/formal. Things like the school you finished from, the social class of your parents, etc. matter more in the UK. In fact, I find the classism really disturbing.
3) There's more racism and homophobia in the UK. These guys don't fail to let you know you don't belong.
4) The people (especially in London) don't go out of thier to be friendly like you would expect in Canada (not like they're mean though)

Canada Pros:
4) Canada gives you access to the US economy (you can easily work for US firms as a Canadian PR and you can drive across the border to buy things at cheaper rate if you have your visa)
5) Nature! As the second largest country in the world, Canada has vast open space (the whole of UK is not up to the size of Ontario, a province in Canada). Outdoor activities and nature appreciation is an integral part of the Canadian lifestyle.
6) People generally more friendly, welcoming and polite in Canada. Immigrants easily feel at home in the country.
8 ) It is bilingual. The French culture is strong in Canada. You might end up learning French depending on where you live. Otherwise, you'd surely explore the rich culture.
12) The healthcare system is better structured in Canada (don't be fooled, it comes at a cost).
13) Canada is a highbrow country. You get the typical American lifestyle in places like Toronto (tall class buildings, condos, long tarred roads, etc) and the typical European lifestyle in places like Québec City (Chateaux, gothic architecture, European culinary styles, etc.)

Canada Cons:
3) The cities are more futuristic and not as beautiful as the classical ones in the UK
4) If not for immigration, Canada, just like the US, generally doesn't really have a very rich culture
5) Population is very low and the country is more laid back (less crime, less fun)
6) If you move from a big city like Lagos, you'd likely get bored in many Canadian cities
7) Due to the size, the country spans across multiple timezones and could be many hours behind Nigeria.

Summary:
It's really about your lifestyle and what works for you. In terms of day to day living, the two countries have a lot in common and they're really great. Canadians are basically English and French people in North America. The cities are named after European cities. Both countries have the same Queen. Both countries are extremely diverse, though Toronto is touted to be the most diverse city in the world. Personally, I find Canada a better place to live and the UK a better place for vacation. You generally have less to worry about in Canada but that means you also have more interesting things to do in the UK.
Thank you much, this is helpfull.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Jucci80(m): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2022
Golan007:
What's your profession?

Education
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Jucci80(m): 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
it all depend on who you are, what kind of lifestyle you wanna live, your state of mind, your immigration status etc

what works for Jide may not work for Taiwo.
Please explain what you meant by 50 50. I am in Education.
I am planning going with my family
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by babakb: 7:39pm On Apr 21, 2022
Jucci80:

The path to settle in the UK is not easy, upon graduation you would be given two years post study visa, if you want to remain in the UK permanently then you must find a UK employer that will sponsor your continuous stay within the two years.

The employer must offer you a qualifying Job Offer to obtain the UK skilled worker visa cool cool cool
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Jucci80(m): 9:46pm On Apr 21, 2022
babakb:

The path to settle in the UK is not easy, upon graduation you would be given two years post study visa, if you want to remain in the UK permanently then you must find a UK employer that will sponsor your continuous stay within the two years.

The employer must offer you a qualifying Job Offer to obtain the UK skilled worker visa cool cool cool
Someone said that if you have a child the UK that have stayed up to 5years, that the child is entitled to citizenship and once the child gets that,then you as the parents automatically becomes a citizen. How true pls?

2 Likes

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by LILTJAY3: 10:10pm On Apr 21, 2022
Uk is better than canada
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Gerrard59(m): 10:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
WoundedLamb:

Summary:

Great post, but I am curious to know the parameters used to rank Toronto as such.
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by jesmond3945: 10:17pm On Apr 21, 2022
WoundedLamb:

UK Pros:

UK Cons:

Canada Pros:
5) Nature! As the second largest country in the world, Canada has vast open space (the whole of the UK is not up to the size of Ontario, a province in Canada). Outdoor activities and nature appreciation are an integral part of the Canadian lifestyle.
13) Canada is a hybrid country. You get the typical American lifestyle in places like Toronto (tall class buildings, condos, long tarred roads, etc) and the typical European lifestyle in places like Québec City (Chateaux, gothic architecture, European culinary styles, etc.)

Canada Cons:

Summary:
wow God bless you brother. May you live long.
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by jesmond3945: 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
Jucci80:

Someone said that if you have a child the UK that have stayed up to 5years, that the child is entitled to citizenship and once the child gets that,then you as the parents automatically becomes a citizen. How true pls?
not true.
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by WoundedLamb: 10:25pm On Apr 21, 2022
Gerrard59:

Great post, but I am curious to know the parameters used to rank Toronto as such.

Thanks sir.

"Recognized by both the United Nations and the BBC as the most diverse city in the world, Toronto stands apart as a benchmark of multiculturalism. According to official data, over half of the city's residents were born outside of Canada, making it home to nationalities from around the world."

#Copied

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Blurpy: 10:27pm On Apr 21, 2022
Thanks a lot for this[quote author=WoundedLamb post=112153643]Where in the UK? You're probably referring to England or Ireland. I'll give my personal opinion.

UK Pros:
1) ]
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:55am On Apr 22, 2022
Jucci80:

do you plan to go there legally (aka work visa)? do you already have a job lined up?! do you have funds to allow you settle down until you get your 1st salary? where exactly in Canada/UK you plan on going? do you want the tourist friendly comparison or the "hustle and flow" honest truth?!?
Re: Canada Versus UK, Which Is The Best Place To Settle by Afolavid: 3:13am On Apr 22, 2022
WoundedLamb:

Summary:

Your post is unbiased... You said it as it is. Personally, I prefer Canada and I think Canada has a lot of potentials to be one of the greatest economy in the world (top 5) in few decades to come, by the time it fills up and balance its size:population ratio to a reasonable percentage.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

If You’d Ever Visit Badagry, Never Go To These Places! / American Embassy Is Mad / General Visa Enquire For India Get First Hand Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.