Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? (1129 Views)

How To Explain Contradictions In The 4 Gospels. / 101 Clear Contradictions In The Bible / 101 Contradictions In The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by joyuchesun: 12:12am On Sep 22, 2011
For those who believe the bible is the infallible Word of God, How do you explain the numerous contradictions?  Did God make a mistake?

Contradictions in the bible: there are too many to ignore.

Grace and works

For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works.
Ephesians 2:8,9

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
James 2:24

Mercy
PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

Killing
Thou shalt not kill
Exod 20:13

Thus sayeth the LORD God of Israel, "Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour".
Exod 32:27

Images (like the cross)
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven . . . earth . . . water."
Exod 20:4

"And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them."
Exodus 25:18

Repenting
"I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
Ezekiel 24:14

. . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
Jonah 3:10

Mercy
"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."
Jer 13:14

The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy.
James 5:11

temptation
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham.
Gen 22:1

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.
James 1:13

Ability
"Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?"
Jeremiah 32:27

And the Lord was with Judah; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Judges 1:19

Wisdom
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Prov 4:7

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1 Cor 1:19

The Dead

The dead know not any thing, neither have they any more reward.
Eccles 9:5

These shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous unto life eternal.
Matt 25:46

Children
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.
Isa 14:21

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
Deut 24:16

Elijah
And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
2 Kings 2:11

No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ,  the Son of Man.
John 3:13

hate
Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1 John 3:15

abiding in him.
1 John 3:15 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

The sins of the father

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Good deeds

Matt 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (NIV)

Matt 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (NIV)
February 2 at 12:09pm
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by justhappy: 1:47am On Sep 22, 2011
The bible is not the infallable word of God. It is a man written book. Hence the contradictions and mistakes. Anyone who reads this can determine this fact.
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by italo: 2:48am On Sep 22, 2011
If you are children of God, you'll understand you'll understand the Father when he speaks.

And if you are not children of God, why bother over what our Father says to us?
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by alienvirus: 6:54am On Sep 22, 2011
Too many fathers in xtianity. **shaking my head**
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by Sweetnecta: 11:21am On Sep 22, 2011
My boy Italo's father is a Nigeria.

But he must have another father in heaven. Mom and Dad are cool with the adoption, even being sired by the other father.
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by chowbaby: 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2011
According to the bible "we" are all children of God. so therefore we should all be able to understand. but this speaks to the point that this book was not written by any God but by man!
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 22, 2011
Answers coming soon,
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by justhappy: 2:37pm On Sep 22, 2011
@frosbel what is your definition of spiritually dead? Isn't that quite a judgmental statement? Also, since you consider yourself one of the chosen who has been given the knowledge to understand these contradictions why not just pick a few and explain them? Your answer is not only for the OP but others who read these posts also looking for clarification.
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2011
Humbly accepted.

I guess my response is based on the fact that many who ask these sort of questions are not looking for answers.

As I am open to correction, my initial comment will be deleted assuming this person really wants the truth.

shocked
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by italo: 3:40pm On Sep 22, 2011
I believe in God, you don't. And you want me to explain to you what my Father says to me. Does that make sense? Why not stay out of our family business, what's the obsession with God whom you say doesn't exist?
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2011
Mary Worshiper, what do you know about the real Jesus

You worship the mother but not the SON undecided

Catholic madness
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by italo: 4:08pm On Sep 22, 2011
How do you know who I worship? Isn't it God that sees a man's heart?
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by alienvirus: 4:19pm On Sep 22, 2011
Frogbell must ve used telepathy! Lol
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by globexl: 4:02am On Sep 23, 2011
Repeating what others have said, the bible is a book written by men who wrote according thier own limited understand and viewpoints. all the anger and contradictions you see are the anger and contradictions in the minds and hearts of the authors. We see the same things today. Every thief and pickpocket preaches whatever is guranteed to yield the most money. A gready paster mostly preaches about god's need for your money, a hateful pastor preaches hate against unbelievers(frosbel?), a humble pastor preaches humility, a kind pastor preaches kindness. You can see that the word of god(?) is like a liquid that takes the shape of any vessel(heart and mind) that it is poured into. thats is why religious faith cannot turn a bad person into a good person. It can only help that person to camouflage their heart.

The biblical books are also the abreviated copies of older books written by hundreds of different authors over thousands of years, and from different lands. Its a patch patch work. that is why there are so many contradictions.
There is also this false notion that the ancient hebrews were monothiestic(worshipped only one god). Nothing could be further fromt he truth. They worshiped a variety of different deities at different eras. It was during the later period that the priest of yahweh, violently assumed supremacy and enforced the worship of yahweh as their main deity.
Re: How Do You Explain Contradictions In The Bible? by globexl: 4:21am On Sep 23, 2011
@Frosbel:

Psalms 82 states:
"Jehova sits in the congregation (or council) of the Elohim where he is judged by them".
they later go on to condemn and reprimand him for not protecting the weak and the poor.
" Ye are gods, all of you, but you shall die like men". That was his sentence.

This passage has been such an embarrasment to churchmen throughout the ages.They have edited and tried to reword this passage so many times in order to obscure the true significance and implications of this passage. In some bible versions, they have substituted the word" Elohim" with the word"Mighty" (?). Mighty who and mighty what?

My question for you frosbel: I'm pretty sure that you have never come across this passage before due to the selective reading habits of your type.
Can you explain intelligently without name-calling and insults, why and how an omnipotent creator of the universe would sit in a congregation to be judged by his kind (or superiors?).

(1) (Reply)

Did T.b Joshua Prophesied Super Eagle Lost To Guinea ? / The Power in the Word of God! / Love Compatibility, Astrology Compatibility - Indastro.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.