Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? (69313 Views)

You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) / Watch The Grave Dust: Late Actor Obi Madubogwu’s Last Film Before His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by occfx: 6:34pm On Apr 17, 2023
vastolord4:
Remember watching him on our black n white TV back then

Life was a little less stressful then... You can actually relax and watch those things with your nerves relaxed too. These days, our nerves hardly relaxes.

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by FORWARDEVERLY: 6:35pm On Apr 17, 2023
I remember and Miss JT Tom-West ....
Rip legend .
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by ShaqFu: 6:36pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jagua. Wow. How time flies...

I still remember this song back then:

Jagua, jagua don die
Husseini Kee am,
Because of money,
How much is the money
Na 30 Kobo coins. 😁

And also this argument by Jagua and his wife, grace:

Grace: Jagua, you're a disgrace to this family .

Jagua: my name na Jagua, your name na Grace, which one resemble disgrace?. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ€£

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by toprealman: 6:41pm On Apr 17, 2023
Pusyiter:
The question is
He has children who were part of his cast
Where are they now?
Can't they immortalise their father's legacy

Each to his/ calling. Say your papa na politician no mean say you must continue the looting legacy.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by VinnyBaba: 6:43pm On Apr 17, 2023
abobote:
I started watching TV at 18yrs, so no idea

Baba, you missed oo! smiley cool

Jagua is FUNNIER dan Mr Ibu and Sabinus of these days.😊

He was an Illiterate BUT had a well Educated wife called Grace.
He was a Loafer and a Walkabout, causing Confusion and Jokes Everywhere!
When his Grace complained 'Jagua you were Disgracing Me', He told her Grace dey ur name, Grace no dey my Name! sad cheesy

Was Young in the early 90's but still remember most of his Misdemeanors. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by shedgoz(m): 6:43pm On Apr 17, 2023
You forgot to mention the fact that he eats flies. Probably it was acting, but most of his videos I watched, he always ate flies.

Icrave4u:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQU4Sph9pU

MY BELLE O, MY HEAD O!!! Do you still remember this Yoruba Actor called JAGUA?

Chief James Afolabi Afolayan MON, MFR popularly known as Jagua was born 4th July 1946 in Iludun-Oro kwara state Nigeria.

He managed on his own to finish secondary education but his journey into entertainment started when he was just 8years old in his paternal hometown Iludun-Oro where he formed the Iludun-Oro Jolly Mambo. It was a singing group.

The young Afolabi then go about adding spice to social gatherings by singing.. Yes he was a singer and a great dancer too.

He did this for some years until he met the doyen of Nigeria theatre, the iconic Hubert Ogunde.

James Afolabi learnt that Chief Ogunde and his group will be performing in Esie so he made plans to be there,saved up some money from selling bush meat so he could make it to the show.

On getting there he was intrigued by Chief Ogunde's musical rendition and decided he was going to move to Lagos to have chief train him in music.

James Afolabi whose family was mainly into buying and selling expressed his desire to go fully into music to his family and they never objected despite the fact that such professions was seen as mainly for the "never do well" in those days.

Few days after a family member brought young Afolabi to Lagos and they headed to Chief Ogunde's office and joined a very long queue of people wanting to join the group.

Eventually it was Afolabi Afolayan's turn to audition and though baba Ogunde thought he was very young, he also saw that he was very determined.He then handed daddy to his first wife saying " Gba omo e ni" ( take him, he is your child)

Afolabi said he never knew baba Ogungbe was also into acting. He said he admired his stage presence.

Afolabi said for him as a young person it was divine whenever baba graced the stage.

Afolabi Afolayan considers Baba Ogunde as a father and his first wife who took him in a mother.

He was with Chief Ogunde and family for 2years (1960-1962).

Afolabi Afolayan also trained under Akinsola Ogungbe before he teamed up with his friend Ishola Ogunsola aka Isho Pepper to form the Afolayan Ogunsola Theatre group in 1964.

Afolabi was the main singer and instrumentalist in the group while Ishola composed more of the stage performances.

The performances was rendered in Yoruba language.
Besides other productions, I remember they did "Iyawo alalubosa"together...back then, it was quite popular.

Besides music, 'Folabi( like his friends and family calls him)was known to be the fun guy at every gathering.

He just loves making people laugh and as time goes on he realizes he seem to be more interested in the comedy aspect of acting and went for it.

He met very young Elyzar Taylor a Sierraleonian who was still a student at the time.

It was Elyzar who gave him the stage name Jagua and advised him to act in pidgin English as that will cut across every tribe and make them more widely accessible.

Jagua also called Elyzar Grace on stage. That was how Jagua play Group was born.

They had their first major television show in 1968 with RKTV Kaduna.

Jagua and Grace got married in 1970. Grace was juggling marriage and the group while still in school.

With God by their side and love from friends and fans who we see as family, the Jagua brand became widely accepted.

Jagua comedy was in all the NTA stations, was in almost every Nigerian home.

It is devoid of vulgar languages...you don't have to send your children to bed because you want to watch Jagua...it is actually a family programme and many children look up to it.

Jagua comedy entertained and educated most of us via TV screens and live stage performances.

They were also involved in charity causes.

They entertained the less privileged for free, raised money to champion charitable causes, entertained our troops abroad (ECOMOG).

In the very early years of Nollywood, Jagua and his group made some home videos which was released in VHS cassettes but most of his works are with the NTA.

Jagua was recognised by the Nigerian government for his works hence his national honours.

As a father, he was a great father and friend.

The laughter never stops on stage.
He was the best. He died Oct 5th 2000.

23years on, we still hear his signature tune "my belle ooo my head o"
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by DisLifeSha: 6:44pm On Apr 17, 2023
But everyone get their own destiny na

DaCharis2016:
Thank you for writing about one of my favourite early life actors. I never knew him as James, born in Kwara & was a singer.

Where are his children? This is why I'm thinking of what I will hand over to my children when I will be no more. 😭 ; shocked

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by RoyalUc(m): 6:53pm On Apr 17, 2023
Preciousgift120:
I don carry wahala come oo....Akirika
My Belle ooo..My head o
Supay Ogbono supay
Baba xxxx......Daddy
Made my children so fun.
I remembered the episode where he took a lot of sleeping pills and he found himself in murg.

I remember the episode he connived with Oseni his friend to eat his wife's chicken by pretending to be sick

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Jefferyhi86(m): 6:54pm On Apr 17, 2023
It's well, this life
His wife is also late too
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Passionate888: 6:55pm On Apr 17, 2023
Why aren't there pictures of his wife Grace (Elyzar Taylor)?
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Keedyreal: 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2023
RIP to d great comedian and actor i nvr knw he was a yoruba man bt i like his programs like mad especially the "my head o... my belle ooo part of it...

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Shattuck(m): 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2023
Damn I don old oh, πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜… time flies I remember this like it was yesterday
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by kevwemike: 7:02pm On Apr 17, 2023
My belle ooo my head oooo
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Midastouch03(m): 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2023
What a lovely memory to reminisce about. I just finished watching the video again! Very instructive and informative. For both the young and the old. They were our neighbors in Osun(Ile Ife then)! That Jagua's friend is Victor is first Son, now late too about 2-3Years ago, he died in Abuja but I guessed he was buried in Osun, just like his Mother (Grace)too! That guy that acted as alfa was his replica son and his 4th Son his name is Gbolohan. He has other 2- 3Sons or thereabouts and I guess 1/2 daughters. Serious fight broke out among the siblings after the death of their parents, especially against the first son! They went through alot after the death of their parents! It has been long I had from them though! I guessed the last time I saw Gholahan was about 2-3Years ago. He has another 2 Elder brothers, their names are Junior and Remi and I believe Remi still stays in lagos. Let me stop here for now! Thanks for sharing the video. Cheers!!!

6 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:05pm On Apr 17, 2023
Icrave4u:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQU4Sph9pU

MY BELLE O, MY HEAD O!!! Do you still remember this Yoruba Actor called JAGUA?

Chief James Afolabi Afolayan MON, MFR popularly known as Jagua was born 4th July 1946 in Iludun-Oro kwara state Nigeria.

He managed on his own to finish secondary education but his journey into entertainment started when he was just 8years old in his paternal hometown Iludun-Oro where he formed the Iludun-Oro Jolly Mambo. It was a singing group.

The young Afolabi then go about adding spice to social gatherings by singing.. Yes he was a singer and a great dancer too.

He did this for some years until he met the doyen of Nigeria theatre, the iconic Hubert Ogunde.

James Afolabi learnt that Chief Ogunde and his group will be performing in Esie so he made plans to be there,saved up some money from selling bush meat so he could make it to the show.

On getting there he was intrigued by Chief Ogunde's musical rendition and decided he was going to move to Lagos to have chief train him in music.

James Afolabi whose family was mainly into buying and selling expressed his desire to go fully into music to his family and they never objected despite the fact that such professions was seen as mainly for the "never do well" in those days.

Few days after a family member brought young Afolabi to Lagos and they headed to Chief Ogunde's office and joined a very long queue of people wanting to join the group.

Eventually it was Afolabi Afolayan's turn to audition and though baba Ogunde thought he was very young, he also saw that he was very determined.He then handed daddy to his first wife saying " Gba omo e ni" ( take him, he is your child)

Afolabi said he never knew baba Ogungbe was also into acting. He said he admired his stage presence.

Afolabi said for him as a young person it was divine whenever baba graced the stage.

Afolabi Afolayan considers Baba Ogunde as a father and his first wife who took him in a mother.

He was with Chief Ogunde and family for 2years (1960-1962).

Afolabi Afolayan also trained under Akinsola Ogungbe before he teamed up with his friend Ishola Ogunsola aka Isho Pepper to form the Afolayan Ogunsola Theatre group in 1964.

Afolabi was the main singer and instrumentalist in the group while Ishola composed more of the stage performances.

The performances was rendered in Yoruba language.
Besides other productions, I remember they did "Iyawo alalubosa"together...back then, it was quite popular.

Besides music, 'Folabi( like his friends and family calls him)was known to be the fun guy at every gathering.

He just loves making people laugh and as time goes on he realizes he seem to be more interested in the comedy aspect of acting and went for it.

He met very young Elyzar Taylor a Sierraleonian who was still a student at the time.

It was Elyzar who gave him the stage name Jagua and advised him to act in pidgin English as that will cut across every tribe and make them more widely accessible.

Jagua also called Elyzar Grace on stage. That was how Jagua play Group was born.

They had their first major television show in 1968 with RKTV Kaduna.

Jagua and Grace got married in 1970. Grace was juggling marriage and the group while still in school.

With God by their side and love from friends and fans who we see as family, the Jagua brand became widely accepted.

Jagua comedy was in all the NTA stations, was in almost every Nigerian home.

It is devoid of vulgar languages...you don't have to send your children to bed because you want to watch Jagua...it is actually a family programme and many children look up to it.

Jagua comedy entertained and educated most of us via TV screens and live stage performances.

They were also involved in charity causes.

They entertained the less privileged for free, raised money to champion charitable causes, entertained our troops abroad (ECOMOG).

In the very early years of Nollywood, Jagua and his group made some home videos which was released in VHS cassettes but most of his works are with the NTA.

Jagua was recognised by the Nigerian government for his works hence his national honours.

As a father, he was a great father and friend.

The laughter never stops on stage.
He was the best. He died Oct 5th 2000.

23years on, we still hear his signature tune "my belle ooo my head o"

He and Moses Olaiya (Baba Sala) are the fathers of comedy skits in Nigeria.

I always thought his wife (Grace) was an Ibo woman!

I never knew she wasn't even Nigerian!

4 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by placeofallure(f): 7:08pm On Apr 17, 2023
I watched but was too young to understand what the entire show was all about. I simply watched because people sat down in front of TV to watch.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by nkwoemeka(m): 7:09pm On Apr 17, 2023
When the country was good, nowadays nothing makes us happy
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by MatrixCircle: 7:09pm On Apr 17, 2023
Mallam Jags grin grin grin
Akirika . Ashubi aro. grin grin

My favorite Nigerian actor in the days.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by MatrixCircle: 7:11pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

He and Moses Olaiya (Baba Sala) are the fathers of comedy skits in Nigeria.

I always thought his wife (Grace) was an Ibo woman!

I never knew she wasn't even Nigerian!
Grace the wife was from Serria πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡± Leone.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by rein22: 7:12pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jaguar was a wonderful and comic actor
I recall he conniving with Asubiaro to have his wife kill and prepare her big cork as sacrifice

Jaguar wey d money, look am for ground

Akrika ye, akrika yo, akrika yo yo yo
Me I command ooo everybody close your eyes

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by simongonner: 7:19pm On Apr 17, 2023
When Nigeria still get sense . Now na balabala

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by NaijaOlosho(f): 7:20pm On Apr 17, 2023
He's more credible than the man in the photo below.

The man bow no one knows his school everything about him is forged and fake

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by propsvilla2: 7:21pm On Apr 17, 2023
I can't forget he will finish eating white rice and rub his hand on his head. Or the part where he baby sits a goat. Jagua was very funny and made our child hood interesting. My Dad was among the first person to have black and white TV then so our house was like a viewing center. Children from far and near will always troop to watch Jagua.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:32pm On Apr 17, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Baba, you missed oo! smiley cool

Jagua is FUNNIER dan Mr Ibu and Sabinus of these days.😊

He was an Illiterate BUT had a well Educated wife called Grace.
He was a Loafer and a Walkabout, causing Confusion and Jokes Everywhere!
When his Grace complained 'Jagua you were Disgracing Me', He told her Grace dey ur name, Grace no dey my Name! sad cheesy

Was Young in the early 90's but still remember most of his Misdemeanors. smiley

he wasn't an illiterate... Ur view of education is limited...u see education as one going to university...

3 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by sharone21(f): 7:34pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jagua:

Tell me, where dem born u? X2 ....Nigeria( Shout)...x2

I go do my best x2, for my Papa land lie lie I no go run away x2

Nigeria is my home.

NB: Oseni and Julie don't see eye to eye as husband and wife .... Cat and dog family life.

Jagua was Father Xmas for many years( lol).....Governor Akeredolu was Father Xmas too @ some point in time

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by meetmohammed(m): 7:36pm On Apr 17, 2023
Alitair:
Jagua, Oseni, Julie and Grace.

My dad loved his comics and movies. The VHS tapes are still in my father's house till date.
please upload it to the YouTube you you will cure many people with this.....
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Hawkler: 7:42pm On Apr 17, 2023
KingMack:
if ya papa get television jus expect neighborhood children for una crib when ever dem dey show jagua program for NTA...una wey get TV go kalk for chair, near neighbor's go sit for rug, far neighbor's go stand for outside πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
When life was better

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by faaz24: 7:43pm On Apr 17, 2023
abbeycial:
Hmmmm....a legend.

Was very young when he once visited my neighbourhood in Adamawa back then.
Nigeria was sweet and fun those days.
He performed live in my school in Sokoto in the early 80's, he came twice. Jaguar was a funny character, a legend !

3 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by IPDGP: 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2023
vastolord4:
Remember watching him on our black n white TV back then
U should be grandpa by now
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by okuta007: 7:51pm On Apr 17, 2023
KingMack:
if ya papa get television jus expect neighborhood children for una crib when ever dem dey show jagua program for NTA...una wey get TV go kalk for chair, near neighbor's go sit for rug, far neighbor's go stand for outside πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

then i kept an enemy list - those who bullied me are reminded i am a prince in my house and they will not be allowed in - i will start hearing things like - Hey Okuta - i did not insult you ooo na that other pesin curse u, make i enta come watch jaguar na ? then i increase the volume with our remote to increase the torment while i decide if to forgive or not and hearing β€œmy belle oooo my head oooo - the person begging will be so tormented because they can’t see it yet

i no let them enta πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by victorazy(m): 7:59pm On Apr 17, 2023
Pusyiter:
The question is
He has children who were part of his cast
Where are they now?
Can't they immortalise their father's legacy

No be everybody get vision.

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by BushDoctor123: 8:02pm On Apr 17, 2023
His son Gagus is also doing well in comedy even though he is not as popular as his father. He reside in kogi State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tacha's Boyfriend Blasts Ebuka / BBNaija 'Shine Ya Eye' Reunion Show (Live Updates) / Bbnaija: Moment Laycon Curved Erica During The Party (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.