Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? (69314 Views)

You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) / Watch The Grave Dust: Late Actor Obi Madubogwu’s Last Film Before His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by wizkidblogger(f): 11:28pm On Apr 17, 2023
gen z has left the whatsapp group

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by juman(m): 11:33pm On Apr 17, 2023
I surprise how people still remember jaguaΒ΄s films.
Long time ago films.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jagua and his best friend Bukata!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by juman(m): 11:35pm On Apr 17, 2023
Jagua, Isho pepper, ojo ladipo, duro ladipo etc died in their fifties.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by osidion2020(m): 11:47pm On Apr 17, 2023
When problem came into Liberia.
Some people ran away for their life.
See fire
See fire
Fire everywhere.
Glory be to almighty God.
No more war in Liberia..

Keep resting legend
Lived a short but fulfilling life.
Icrave4u:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQU4Sph9pU

MY BELLE O, MY HEAD O!!! Do you still remember this Yoruba Actor called JAGUA?

Chief James Afolabi Afolayan MON, MFR popularly known as Jagua was born 4th July 1946 in Iludun-Oro kwara state Nigeria.

He managed on his own to finish secondary education but his journey into entertainment started when he was just 8years old in his paternal hometown Iludun-Oro where he formed the Iludun-Oro Jolly Mambo. It was a singing group.

The young Afolabi then go about adding spice to social gatherings by singing.. Yes he was a singer and a great dancer too.

He did this for some years until he met the doyen of Nigeria theatre, the iconic Hubert Ogunde.

James Afolabi learnt that Chief Ogunde and his group will be performing in Esie so he made plans to be there,saved up some money from selling bush meat so he could make it to the show.

On getting there he was intrigued by Chief Ogunde's musical rendition and decided he was going to move to Lagos to have chief train him in music.

James Afolabi whose family was mainly into buying and selling expressed his desire to go fully into music to his family and they never objected despite the fact that such professions was seen as mainly for the "never do well" in those days.

Few days after a family member brought young Afolabi to Lagos and they headed to Chief Ogunde's office and joined a very long queue of people wanting to join the group.

Eventually it was Afolabi Afolayan's turn to audition and though baba Ogunde thought he was very young, he also saw that he was very determined.He then handed daddy to his first wife saying " Gba omo e ni" ( take him, he is your child)

Afolabi said he never knew baba Ogungbe was also into acting. He said he admired his stage presence.

Afolabi said for him as a young person it was divine whenever baba graced the stage.

Afolabi Afolayan considers Baba Ogunde as a father and his first wife who took him in a mother.

He was with Chief Ogunde and family for 2years (1960-1962).

Afolabi Afolayan also trained under Akinsola Ogungbe before he teamed up with his friend Ishola Ogunsola aka Isho Pepper to form the Afolayan Ogunsola Theatre group in 1964.

Afolabi was the main singer and instrumentalist in the group while Ishola composed more of the stage performances.

The performances was rendered in Yoruba language.
Besides other productions, I remember they did "Iyawo alalubosa"together...back then, it was quite popular.

Besides music, 'Folabi( like his friends and family calls him)was known to be the fun guy at every gathering.

He just loves making people laugh and as time goes on he realizes he seem to be more interested in the comedy aspect of acting and went for it.

He met very young Elyzar Taylor a Sierraleonian who was still a student at the time.

It was Elyzar who gave him the stage name Jagua and advised him to act in pidgin English as that will cut across every tribe and make them more widely accessible.

Jagua also called Elyzar Grace on stage. That was how Jagua play Group was born.

They had their first major television show in 1968 with RKTV Kaduna.

Jagua and Grace got married in 1970. Grace was juggling marriage and the group while still in school.

With God by their side and love from friends and fans who we see as family, the Jagua brand became widely accepted.

Jagua comedy was in all the NTA stations, was in almost every Nigerian home.

It is devoid of vulgar languages...you don't have to send your children to bed because you want to watch Jagua...it is actually a family programme and many children look up to it.

Jagua comedy entertained and educated most of us via TV screens and live stage performances.

They were also involved in charity causes.

They entertained the less privileged for free, raised money to champion charitable causes, entertained our troops abroad (ECOMOG).

In the very early years of Nollywood, Jagua and his group made some home videos which was released in VHS cassettes but most of his works are with the NTA.

Jagua was recognised by the Nigerian government for his works hence his national honours.

As a father, he was a great father and friend.

The laughter never stops on stage.
He was the best. He died Oct 5th 2000.

23years on, we still hear his signature tune "my belle ooo my head o"
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by lamalang(m): 12:05am On Apr 18, 2023
Good old days. I remember way back 80's when he performed at Ahmadu Bello Academy in farfaru Sokoto, one of my most memorable moments

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by lamalang(m): 12:07am On Apr 18, 2023
juman:
Jagua, Isho pepper, ojo ladipo, duro ladipo etc died in their fifties.
Nigeria don't take care of their Icons

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by jaxxy(m): 12:40am On Apr 18, 2023
oh yeah I remember this guy back in the days. was it village headmaster or so?
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by okuta007: 12:47am On Apr 18, 2023
yamunla:

Remote control dey that time??🫑

yes naw - remote dey since naw - our color TV i ooo f 1990 had remote ooo - i watched italia 90 world cup using remote control
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by KingMack(m): 12:56am On Apr 18, 2023
okuta007:

then i kept an enemy list - those who bullied me are reminded i am a prince in my house and they will not be allowed in - i will start hearing things like - Hey Okuta - i did not insult you ooo na that other pesin curse u, make i enta come watch jaguar na ? then i increase the volume with our remote to increase the torment while i decide if to forgive or not and hearing β€œmy belle oooo my head oooo - the person begging will be so tormented because they can’t see it yet

i no let them enta πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Your wickedness na for Pluto e originate nwanne..you still get am for bodi πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by okuta007: 1:29am On Apr 18, 2023
KingMack:

Your wickedness na for Pluto e originate nwanne..you still get am for bodi πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ na when i still be sumo pikin lol πŸ˜†

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Yoighaman(m): 5:19am On Apr 18, 2023
Icrave4u:

Chief James Afolabi Afolayan MON, MFR popularly known as Jagua was born 4th July 1946 in Iludun-Oro kwara state Nigeria.

He managed on his own to finish secondary education but his journey into entertainment started when he was just 8years old in his paternal hometown Iludun-Oro where he formed the Iludun-Oro Jolly Mambo. It was a singing group.

The young Afolabi then go about adding spice to social gatherings by singing.. Yes he was a singer and a great dancer too.

He did this for some years until he met the doyen of Nigeria theatre, the iconic Hubert Ogunde.

James Afolabi learnt that Chief Ogunde and his group will be performing in Esie so he made plans to be there,saved up some money from selling bush meat so he could make it to the show.

On getting there he was intrigued by Chief Ogunde's musical rendition and decided he was going to move to Lagos to have chief train him in music.

James Afolabi whose family was mainly into buying and selling expressed his desire to go fully into music to his family and they never objected despite the fact that such professions was seen as mainly for the "never do well" in those days.

Few days after a family member brought young Afolabi to Lagos and they headed to Chief Ogunde's office and joined a very long queue of people wanting to join the group.

Eventually it was Afolabi Afolayan's turn to audition and though baba Ogunde thought he was very young, he also saw that he was very determined.He then handed daddy to his first wife saying " Gba omo e ni" ( take him, he is your child)

Afolabi said he never knew baba Ogungbe was also into acting. He said he admired his stage presence.

Afolabi said for him as a young person it was divine whenever baba graced the stage.

Afolabi Afolayan considers Baba Ogunde as a father and his first wife who took him in a mother.

Afolabi Afolayan also trained under Akinsola Ogungbe before he teamed up with his friend Ishola Ogunsola aka Isho Pepper to form the Afolayan Ogunsola Theatre group in 1964.

Afolabi was the main singer and instrumentalist in the group while Ishola composed more of the stage performances.

Besides other productions, I remember they did "Iyawo alalubosa"together...back then, it was quite popular.

Besides music, 'Folabi( like his friends and family calls him)was known to be the fun guy at every gathering.

He just loves making people laugh and as time goes on he realizes he seem to be more interested in the comedy aspect of acting and went for it.

He met very young Elyzar Taylor a Sierraleonian who was still a student at the time.

It was Elyzar who gave him the stage name Jagua and advised him to act in pidgin English as that will cut across every tribe and make them more widely accessible.

Jagua also called Elyzar Grace on stage. That was how Jagua play Group was born.

Jagua and Grace got married in 1970. Grace was juggling marriage and the group while still in school.

With God by their side and love from friends and fans who we see as family, the Jagua brand became widely accepted.

It is devoid of vulgar languages...you don't have to send your children to bed because you want to watch Jagua...it is actually a family programme and many children look up to it.

Jagua comedy entertained and educated most of us via TV screens and live stage performances.

They entertained the less privileged for free, raised money to champion charitable causes, entertained our troops abroad (ECOMOG).

In the very early years of Nollywood, Jagua and his group made some home videos which was released in VHS cassettes but most of his works are with the NTA.

Jagua was recognised by the Nigerian government for his works hence his national honours.

He was indeed a great entertainer, I remember always looking forward to watching his programmes as a young boy.

May his gentle soul continue to rest in peace. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by ibinaboonline: 5:32am On Apr 18, 2023
Who beat my baybee... Gbam gba didi gbam gba di

3 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by saxby(f): 7:18am On Apr 18, 2023
A legend, those days they made us smile before the advent of internet and the rest

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Demurray: 7:44am On Apr 18, 2023
My bellee oo
,My head oo
Where dey born you, Nigeria
Where dey born me, Nigeria
Nigeria is my home
Laelae a no go lie (2x)
Nigeria is my home

Good old days , the best in those days ahead of Oga bello

Jagua, we will never forget you, continue to rest in the bosom of the Lord.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by nicedayontop: 7:49am On Apr 18, 2023
The good memories of my childhood in kaduna in the 80s When it was a peaceful place before religious extremists turned to place of violence and bloodshed. Jagua was also good at singing.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Demurray: 7:53am On Apr 18, 2023
okuta007:

then i kept an enemy list - those who bullied me are reminded i am a prince in my house and they will not be allowed in - i will start hearing things like - Hey Okuta - i did not insult you ooo na that other pesin curse u, make i enta come watch jaguar na ? then i increase the volume with our remote to increase the torment while i decide if to forgive or not and hearing β€œmy belle oooo my head oooo - the person begging will be so tormented because they can’t see it yet

i no let them enta πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
grin

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Demurray: 8:00am On Apr 18, 2023
BENEAMATA:
" Tell me , for where dem born you ? "chorus ; ( ' nigeria ' ) Γ— 2

" Because of austerity you want to check out " ( chorus ; ' oh no ' ) "
" because of money "

" Because of harsh economy , you want to run away ( ' oh no ' )

Chorus ; " i go do my best , i go try my best , for my papa laaand , "
" lai lai , i no go check out , "

lai lai , i no go run awayy , Nigeria is my home ! " .
Rest on legend .
The real lyrics

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Demurray: 8:03am On Apr 18, 2023
ShaqFu:
Jagua. Wow. How time flies...

I still remember this song back then:

Jagua, jagua don die
Husseini Kee am,
Because of money,
How much is the money
Na 30 Kobo coins. 😁

And also this argument by Jagua and his wife, grace:

Grace: Jagua, you're a disgrace to this family .

Jagua: my name na Jagua, your name na Grace, which one resemble disgrace?. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ€£

grin grin
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Mhudi: 8:08am On Apr 18, 2023
I still remember a song in one of the episodes. Jaguar Jaguar ran ka dede, Jaguar Jaguar ran ka dede. Where we dey go o, we dey go stadium.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Lucymercy: 9:15am On Apr 18, 2023
[color=#006600][/color]
Icrave4u:

Those were the days we have talent in Nigeria...l will never forget one of his play...He carried a whole a cushion chair to an occasion on his head and when he was asked why did he come with a chair he said" na me be chairman so l must come with my chair" he was so hilarious to a fault. We some funny guys those days e.g Papi luwe,ojoke,sura the tailor,grinrigori and clarius, the late papa suwe and many more. NTA was top of there game then.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by ceragon123: 9:42am On Apr 18, 2023
Best show back then. His wife Grace was a wonderful woman, even in real life

One of the special things about that time was how celebrities travel to capitals of Nigeria to interact with the people and leave memories with them face to face.

Jagua with his crew came to garage in Cable Point Asaba to thrill us in early 90s. They also went to other locations and even schools in the city

I remember how I use to feel his melancholic songs. Mehn those songs got me tearing up as a child back then.

Then there is this Yourbua Christian movie Director that does some wicked ishalwulu movies.

Days of Erasure, Bon Jovi and UB40.

The best time of my life I must say

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by omoyankee3(m): 10:40am On Apr 18, 2023
I was classmates with Jagua's twin sons in secondary school. I remember him performing for our school back then, and what a performance it was.. I still remember some of the lines from the comedy

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Naijafornow: 11:34am On Apr 18, 2023
Foodqueen:
Na him de carry sewing machine for shoulder

Na question i ask o.
That one Na Sura the tailor. He was a popular musician back then in the 70’s and 80’s . He and Fela Kuti sounds alike , he’s still alive in the abroad sha!
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by Foodqueen(f): 4:25pm On Apr 18, 2023
Naijafornow:
That one Na Sura the tailor. He was a popular musician back then in the 70’s and 80’s . He and Fela Kuti sounds alike , he’s still alive in the abroad sha!

Really Never knew he sang. No memories of him.
Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by KoolBigk(m): 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2023
Icrave4u:

A legend and more. He was a 3 men and a half . Those days, i always mistook him for Fadeyi oloro and vice versa. My Dad never skipped his shows.

1 Like

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by PS712: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2023
Ladiesdoctor:
Jaguar and these characters Grace (his wife), Oseni and Julie.
The best comedy movie in those days.

My belle o my head o....

I carry am come o akrika, I carry trouble come o akrika....

I dey see blue.....

Allah jikan rai......

I wonder why his movies are not in the internet.

Good old days

Nigeria was sweet before

I still love his movies dearly and I can't wait to watch them again through the internet.

Rest In Peace Legend

@Bolden words, I remember that play/drama.
You reminded me of who we used to be, Nigeria wasn't this bad and divided. I can't fight back the tears remembering family and friends we enjoyed those moments past but are no more today. Life indeed is a passing phase/shadow.

2 Likes

Re: Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? by erniok(m): 7:00pm On Apr 19, 2023
RoyalUc:

I remember the episode he connived with Oseni his friend to eat his wife's chicken by pretending to be sick
Kasa!!! Kasa de gari maza maza

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tacha's Boyfriend Blasts Ebuka / BBNaija 'Shine Ya Eye' Reunion Show (Live Updates) / Bbnaija: Moment Laycon Curved Erica During The Party (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.